Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 4 gimbal tilt, gimbal calibration failed
123Next >
20193 87 2016-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
shawn.nicklin
lvl.1

United States

I flew my new Phantom 4 today for the first time, I noticed the gimbal was tilted (horizon was crooked). I landed and ran the gimbal calibration, it got to 72% and failed multiple times.

I finally restarted the RC and the Phantom and it seems better, anyone else experience this?
2016-3-17
Use props
mrGREEK360
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236414 ft
Canada

Do IMU calibration on a completely level surface that has been checked with a level. Make sure to do the IMU calibration after the Phantom has been sitting for 30 minutes and try to leave it in a cool place for those 30 mine before the calibration. Immediately after doing the IMU calibration go ahead and do a gimbal calibration and this should fix your issue.
2016-3-17
Use props
cceluch
New

United States

I have the same issue, exactly.  I tried what you mentioned with a failure on first gimbal calibration then ok on next.  It also sqeaks quite a bit.  Should I exchange or do you think this is normal and firmware will fix.
2016-4-3
Use props
ISA AYDIN
lvl.2
Flight distance : 504692 ft
  • >>>
United States

Today on April 9th, I updated my firmware on both aircraft and RC. Then I did successful IMU calibration on absolutely leveled surface. After I tried to do Auto Gimbal Calibration and it failed on 72%. After it camera was pointing 45 degree to the left. Tried several times, but same shit. What might it be? shawn.nicklin and cceluch you are not alone ))

Failed Gimbal Calibration

Failed Gimbal Calibration
2016-4-9
Use props
Ulysse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

The same for me. Yesterday, after the "famous" FW update, I let the quad cool down then perform an IMU calibration.
Right after that I tried to calibrate the gimbal which failed always at 72%.
This morning I was able to calibrate the gimbal without problems.
2016-4-9
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

Ulysse Posted at 2016-4-9 05:50
The same for me. Yesterday, after the "famous" FW update, I let the quad cool down then perform an I ...

Same. Anytime I would try to do a gimbal or IMU or even compass calibration before the most recent firmware, it would fail every single time. Now, it succeeds every single time (although I've just performed it once since the FW update). My horizon is still crooked, but none of my calibrations are failing.
2016-4-9
Use props
parkgt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-4-9 07:19
Same. Anytime I would try to do a gimbal or IMU or even compass calibration before the most recent ...

It seems that peoples calibrations are completing.

But in the case of the gimbal they are failing!   Failing to correct the horizon issue.
2016-4-9
Use props
kirkd1989
lvl.2

United States

parkgt Posted at 2016-4-9 08:40
It seems that peoples calibrations are completing.

But in the case of the gimbal they are failing ...

yeah mine is still tilted....really upset.
2016-4-9
Use props
Thacyoon
lvl.2

Norway

Please goto this post and continue here.
2016-4-9
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

72% Fails every time and this is not a coincidence.........
2016-4-10
Use props
rwickra
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29908 ft
United States

I'm having the same problem. I love my P4, but this tilted horizon is driving me absolutely insane. I'm not clear though, is if this means there are a bunch of defective units or is this because of the firmware update that I did when I first fired up the bird?
2016-4-10
Use props
aje
lvl.1
Norway

I am also having big problems with the horison. I am wondering if i must return the unit ?
2016-4-10
Use props
ISA AYDIN
lvl.2
Flight distance : 504692 ft
  • >>>
United States

aje Posted at 2016-4-10 17:41
I am also having big problems with the horison. I am wondering if i must return the unit ?

Hey guys whos problem is solved?  You see DJI just ignores us. They even dont reply here as if problem does not exist. So disrespectful!
2016-5-2
Use props
jchooper12
lvl.1
United States

I have the same issue. Have contacted support several times, sent them video and they said the following:
DJI Support Sorry this was a miss post. I looked at your video and the gimbal is not functioning correctly. Unfortunately we are recommending that you send it back. However, I would recommend that you calibrate they IMU and the gimbal before you that that step.

Note, this is my second Phantom 4 that has this same issue. It would be nice if DJI would make an announcement that they were working on the issue.
2016-5-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

jchooper12 Posted at 2016-5-6 22:21
I have the same issue. Have contacted support several times, sent them video and they said the follo ...

I'm sorry you are experiencing this.
Are you on the latest firmware?, have you done a cold IMU calibration, gimbal calibration? adjusted the gimbal roll?
Can you post a quick video clip?
2016-5-6
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

All- if the above doesn't fix your issue you must send in the craft. If we can't replicate the issue there isn't much to suggest.
2016-5-6
Use props
jchooper12
lvl.1
United States

DJI-BladeStrike Posted at 2016-5-6 10:16
All- if the above doesn't fix your issue you must send in the craft. If we can't replicate the issue ...

Sorry but you are blowing wind. We have all tried your suggestions and nothing fixes it. Is DJI going to pay for the shipping if we send them in?
2016-5-6
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

jchooper12 Posted at 2016-5-6 08:46
Sorry but you are blowing wind. We have all tried your suggestions and nothing fixes it. Is DJI go ...

I'm stating facts. Sorry you don't like them or can't understand them.

I would try different surfaces to do the calibration. Something is not allowing the gimbal imus to get a solid . This could be because the compass is be interfered with.

We are looking into it but I just did 3 cals back to back. That's not blowing wind but actually testing.

One other thing please take a screenshot of the sensor page in the app with the craft connected and powered.
2016-5-6
Use props
TK-421
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-5-6
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
lvl.4
  • >>>

Well while doing a gimbal calibration it should be away of metal object.  Since the gimbal calibration is using the compass for calibration
2016-5-6
Use props
jchooper12
lvl.1
United States

I did everything on a wooden board that was leveled on the grass with no metal around. The IMU and Gimbal calibrated successfully BUT when in flight after leveling the camera with the horizon, it shifts just like in my video.  Why don't you launch your Phantom, take it up around 20ft or so, turn your grid lines on then level the camera to the horizon and wait and watch. Don't touch the sticks. Hit the record button.

Hey and I am your customer so you can keep your smart tone to yourself, what kind of service is this? And don't ever say condescending words to me "Sorry you don't like them or can't understand them". Are you implying I am stupid??? Learn how to take some crap from your pissed off customers or don't be in support.  If you worked for me you would be out the door for acting like that.
2016-5-6
Use props
TK-421
Banned

United States

2016-5-6
Use props
visitkans
lvl.3
Flight distance : 80413 ft
United Kingdom

Come on DJI,  reading all the comments, am facing the exact same issue. My new bird as shipped was perfect, no tilt, flew quote a few times, yaw, camera angle and the gimbal behaved well.  Updated to the new firmware and all this tilt issue started, i have tried numerous imu calibrations, level surface, cold calibration inside the fridge, no effect.  All i have to do is power on the bird, change the camera angle and the camera would tilt, add a gimbal roll correction and change camera angle, the tilt would happen again....  Can you admit there is some firmware issue and release a fix, i do t think its a hardware issue as my bird was perfect b4 the update.
2016-5-6
Use props
TK-421
Banned

United States

2016-5-6
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

TK-421 Posted at 2016-5-6 11:57
This is the first I've heard this information (gimbal calibration using compass). It would be grea ...

Like I stated, standard IMU calibration is fine. The gimbal calibration uses the compass is you should do it when not around metal or electrical devices. With that being said if you're not getting a compass error then you are more than likely fine.

BUT....

We are troubleshooting and trying to find out the cause of this so we are asking for a clean environment. It's truly not that hard to understand.

2016-5-6
Use props
wrathofkhan
Banned

Australia

2016-5-6
Use props
TK-421
Banned

United States

2016-5-6
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Sorry not frustrated at all. If people follow the simple directions and it still does not solve their issue they will have to send it in. I apologize but it's truly that cut and dry.
2016-5-7
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

jchooper12 Posted at 2016-5-6 11:07
I did everything on a wooden board that was leveled on the grass with no metal around. The IMU and G ...

I think you need to stop with your post. You have been warned on Facebook and now here. If you continue you will be removed. Attacking me or any other DJI rep. for stating facts will not be tolerated.

Like we have already told you, if the above issues doesn't fix the problem then there is no
other choice than sending it in. There is nothing more anyone can do without physically having the craft in hand.

Thank you!

2016-5-7
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Last post I will make on this subject. If people are talking about simple horizon drift, this happens to any gimbal even handheld. It's just part of the technology. But to be off constantly or by a huge degree this is not within specs and should be looked at. There are many mechanical that can go wrong with a gimbal as well.
2016-5-7
Use props
jonathanfrenk
New

United States

jchooper12 Posted at 2016-5-6 14:07
I did everything on a wooden board that was leveled on the grass with no metal around. The IMU and G ...

Here here for speaking up JCHooper.  DJI has no concept of how to be customer oriented..  Despite making technologically better products (defined as getting all the bugs fixed in October about 2 months before the next product is due to be released), the minute a equally good competitor comes around with even marginally better costumer service, DJI will be in the toilet.  They deserve to lose the competition for their nonchalant and even flippant attitude in response to customer service.  
2016-5-7
Use props
TK-421
Banned

2016-5-7
Use props
wrathofkhan
Banned

Australia

2016-5-7
Use props
jchooper12
lvl.1
United States

Who is your Manager DJI-BladeStrike? I want to talk to him/her. Also what is your actual name?  Please send me the contact info for your direct manager or post it here, I don't care. jchooper12@yahoo.com
2016-5-8
Use props
jchooper12
lvl.1
United States

Thanks jonathanfrenk, I agree 100% with you.
2016-5-8
Use props
jchooper12
lvl.1
United States

TK-421 Posted at 2016-5-6 20:58
Hey, I understand you're probably frustrated by this situation as a DJI employee, but you've got to ...

Thank you TK-421 for speaking up. And as you saw by his response to your post he does not give a crud, he is not sorry at all. I just wonder how the managers feel about attitudes like this. I am starting to think they are not sorry either, maybe they are all like this. You know, all everyone is asking for is if there is a fix coming. They keep saying that cannot replicate the issue but a guy posted today on fb that 2 of the DJI tech acknowledged this issue a couple weeks ago. The guy said the following: First "This is a software issue that DJI is working on a firmware fix for as we speak. Should be released soon." then we asked how he knew this and he said "Information obtained directly from DJI Ken and DJI Tim in the DJI forums a little less than two weeks ago. DJI aren't the best communicators between their R&D and Sales."  So if this is true our friend here is just causing more grief for everyone having this issue. This is what happens when you have one company that has basically complete power in this industry.
2016-5-8
Use props
wrathofkhan
Banned

Australia

2016-5-8
Use props
Khan
lvl.1

Canada

Yuneek is looking like they're going to take a huge chunk, if not the majority of the business market. I was inquiring about the release dates of the Typhoon H and getting a little familiar with the Byrd. Seems they have DJI a little worried with the release of the Typhoon. Think for the price of the Byrd, it's going to blow the phantom out of the water. I jumped ship from 3DR to DJI because of shady costumer relations and if I keep reading unresolved issues with unsatisfied costomers, I'll be taking my money along with my loyalty to someone who is willing to be honest and forthcoming. A company in which their costomers have made them who they are needs to provide a service to keep them coming back. I for one am glad yuneek is in the game to take the market and twist a company like DJI's arm into competition. May the best man win.
2016-5-8
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

jchooper12 Posted at 2016-5-8 08:41
Who is your Manager DJI-BladeStrike? I want to talk to him/her. Also what is your actual name?  Plea ...

edward.windham@dji.com

I have given options to you. if that doesn't fix it send it in? I don't see how you can try to say DJI is ignoring the issue?! You have mixed a few different issue into one and now trying to get personal with someone that is just trying to help!

I will let Ed deal with this moving forward.
2016-5-9
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can we all dial this back a notch.  We are talking about two separate issues here.  One is the gimbal calibration,  If removing the App, power cycling the devise and reinstalling the App does not fix the issue then, you will have to send it in.  It could be a bad compass, IMU etc.  We do not know that only our repair facilities will be able to determine the exact cause.  This has been reported to R&D.  We have not received a response back from then.  Blade and I both have not been able to replicate this issue.  That is not saying that it does not exist.  If we cannot replicate it, it is possible that R&D cannot either.  It also might be another issue that occurs once a craft is warmed up.  We fly all the craft before they are returned.  We only fly once.  If the problem does not appear then we ship.  

The other issue is wth the gimbal horizon.  This has also been reported to R&D.  There have been firmware fixes for this in the past.  Have you upgraded to the latest firmware?  If not then I would recommend that you do so.  If you do not want to do that, then we have little more to offer on the situation.  Parts fail.  We are sorry for the user experience when this happens.  There are not always quick fixes.  Sometimes you have to send the craft in for service.  Even military grade equipment has failures.  Nothing is failure proof.  

JC you have my email you are always welcome to contact me.
2016-5-9
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules