Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Osmo stops recording after about 30 minutes
5424 13 2016-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kielmsiler
New

United States

Hey everyone,

So I got my Osmoa little while ago and so far its been pretty handy, but ive come across a bunch of issues.

Aside from the issue filming in 4k 24 which was fixed by the recent firmware updates and the issue with the audio and video not being in sync, I've noticed that the osmo stops recording at about 30 minutes overall. Just wondering if anyone else had encountered this issue and if there was a way to fix it. I shot a concert last night with two cameras, the osmo being my static camera. the band played for about 50 minutes and and the osmo cut off right at about 30 minutes and my operator didnt catch it so now there is a huge gap in the footage and I have nothing to cut back to on my A-Cam.

If anyone has any ideas on how to help please let me know. I was using a Sandisk 32G micro SD card thats class u1 so I don't think it was an issue with the card.

Anyway any help is more than welcome, this is twice now that I've gotten unusable footage because of an issue with the Osmo
2016-3-20
Use props
valealvarez.s96
lvl.4
Argentina

the new firmware cuts the video at 30min to prevent damage from overheating, thats why
2016-3-20
Use props
rodAndTheCat
First Officer

New Zealand

I suspect that this is the function of a fat32 format. I believe it is limited to either 2 or 4gb. Most dedicated cameras usually stitch the segments together so you dont notice, but it would appear that the OSMO doesn,t and just stops.
I have other cameras with this 30min limitation. Just stop and restart and you should be able to continue, but you will lose a bit of continuity of course. ( I could be wrong on this but I have seen this limitation many times.)  The key is to stop at a natural break and quickly restart.

Hope this helps
Rod and the cat
2016-3-20
Use props
Cristian Adrian
New

Romania

I'm sorry to say it, but it is your responsibility to read the information before doing the firmware upgrade.
„20. Single video recordings in high temperatures are capped at 30 minutes to ensure video quality.“
2016-3-21
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Right! Please take a look at the Release Notes at http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/o ... Notes_en_160318.pdf
2016-3-21
Use props
kielmsiler
New

United States

That makes sense, this little camera does get pretty hot. I guess I was just used to my go pro being able to do more than 30 minutes no problem with only a few dropped frames in between clips. I'll just have to be more careful when shooting long form stuff.
2016-3-21
Use props
PhotoProEvent
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118806 ft
  • >>>
France

Then 2 osmos seems to be the only solution...
2016-3-25
Use props
Moshe.mmm
First Officer
Flight distance : 1320098 ft
  • >>>
Israel

rodAndTheCat Posted at 2016-3-21 05:19
I suspect that this is the function of a fat32 format. I believe it is limited to either 2 or 4gb. M ...

so if i dont use the mute fan option i would be able to record more than 30 minuets?

was it possible before the firmware update?
2016-3-25
Use props
uzbeckin
Flight distance : 126683 ft
Australia

Is the X5 also restricted to 30 minutes?   This has become such a big issue for me as I'm doing boring bits of filming and I need to make longer films.   (concert or conference)  Sometimes it is not the best time to stop the video and it takes a second to stop the video and a second or two to start it back up... imagine losing 3-5 seconds in the middle of something awesome and the only reason you are there is to film.    If the x5 can go until the battery drops off I'd upgrade.  Any difference for the X5?  Yesterday I was filming with the X3 and left the fan running.  I just used an external mic system to ignore the fan.   I figured if the fan was running it wouldn't cut out - yet even with the loud fan running I saw the countdown timer near the record around 30 minutes so there was literally no difference with muting the fan. It still wanted to shut down at around 30 minutes even with the fan running.   Why in the world would it do this if I can mute the fan for 30 minutes and then immediately start it up for another 30 minutes without issue?   Obviously if I can just keep filming after a moment pause it isn't a heat issue.... The fan was running the whole time - is it not powerful enough to cool it a bit longer than if I mute it?  It sounds loud enough to suck in a passing bird.   Besides this - It was actually cold where I was filming.  Is this a firmware issue that it can't tell the temperature?  Shouldn't it be a little cooler with the fan than without?  Can the X5 go beyond this limit if I leave the fan on?  (I'm asking a third time because I really want this question answered).
2016-5-29
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

uzbeckin Posted at 2016-5-30 07:54
Is the X5 also restricted to 30 minutes?   This has become such a big issue for me as I'm doing bori ...

Hello.
You're right, in the latest Osmo firmware v1.6.2.10, the single video recording would be always stopped at 30 minutes. In the former firmware versions, there's no this kind of limitation.
In the Osmo Pro firmware v1.1.0.10, there's no this limitation, either.

Thanks.  
2016-5-29
Use props
alvintoro
United States

Adela, any word if this will ever be implemented again? I also purchased several Osmos to do events and now I'm forced to not upgrade in order to keep recording over 30 minutes.
2016-5-30
Use props
fans8ec50bd8
New

Germany

Note that if you live in EU that the 30 Minute Limit Codes from a Tax Law from 2007 where Digital Camera with longer recordings than 30 Minutes are taxed much higher.
That would also cause this Limit.
2017-1-16
Use props
Guerinomaione
Italy

Hallo, is there a solution for 30 minutes limit recording? My Osmo+ goes off...
2017-3-22
Use props
fansc7212251
lvl.3
Flight distance : 402552 ft
  • >>>
United States

rodAndTheCat Posted at 2016-3-20 18:19
I suspect that this is the function of a fat32 format. I believe it is limited to either 2 or 4gb. Most dedicated cameras usually stitch the segments together so you dont notice, but it would appear that the OSMO doesn,t and just stops.
I have other cameras with this 30min limitation. Just stop and restart and you should be able to continue, but you will lose a bit of continuity of course. ( I could be wrong on this but I have seen this limitation many times.)  The key is to stop at a natural break and quickly restart.

It writes about 4 gb files, but keeps going. fat32 is not the issue. You just don't have a single file.
2018-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules