Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
State Farm Insurance
22365 181 2016-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ethanflux
lvl.3
Flight distance : 450190 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm awaiting my State Farm Agent to write up my policy here in Missouri.  Might be after the New Year as I think they are out till then.  But definitely a good thing to have.
2016-12-29
Use props
Adam Flurk
First Officer
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

TSAT Posted at 2016-12-28 16:22
DO YOU HAVE TO HAVE AUTO INSURANCE WITH THEM ? OR WILL THEY INSURE IT IF NOT?

No, you do not. I only have statefarm for my DJI equipment.
2016-12-29
Use props
acenothing
Second Officer
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

A lost bird is not the real risk.  What about liability insurance?
2016-12-29
Use props
Jc918
lvl.1
United States

I can confirm I was able to insure my Phantom 4 Pro and iPad mini 4 for $60 a year with a zero deductible. I don't have state farm on my house or car just on my Phantom
2016-12-29
Use props
TSAT
Flight distance : 149101 ft
United States

Adam Flurk Posted at 2016-12-29 13:25
No, you do not. I only have statefarm for my DJI equipment.

thanks for the answer. I checked today with Statefarm in Alabama ,and they offer it also for starting at $60 a year.  I ended up getting through who I have my home owners with. it a separate policy that's about $6 a year. That covers theft, crash, lost and liability
2016-12-29
Use props
Kevin Halle
Captain
Flight distance : 1297612 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just got a policy from State Farm today. I've never had State Farm in the past. My homeowners and autos are insured through a different company. $60.00 per year, no deductable.  All the same policy as the original poster. I am in Georgia.
2016-12-29
Use props
jrm11
lvl.4
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

Tripper Dog Posted at 2016-10-23 06:07
Not sure why many are surprised at the low cost for the insurance.  This is how the insurance industry works, otherwise, they wouldn't sell much insurance.  They make their money on volume.  Someone referenced a diamond ring at a low premium.  Same principle.   I have a Rolex and the yearly insurance is only about $110.  Same for the wife's.  

Just as an fyi, normal homeowner's insurance for jewelry and extras (like a drone) only cover up to $1,500 (in totality), unless you have a rider policy, like many are talking about.  Also, each piece of jewelry or speciality item has to be insured separately.  So, if you're wife has a diamond ring, diamond earrings, and some other nice piece, you need (3) riders (but can be put on one overall policy).  Each will have their own line item cost.

Interesting. While the concept of the policy sound great, the cost seems high to me. I am paying about $60/year for and ATV which costs over 5x what my P3 cost me. That includes theft, collision AND some serious liability insurance.

Yes, $60 is a good deal for what you get. With a direct comparison to other insurances, it is high. Most likely because they can't afford to do the paperwork and register the policy for any less. With such a relatively low cost item you are losing the efficiencies of scale.
2016-12-29
Use props
jrm11
lvl.4
United States

fansa32f0b7b Posted at 2016-12-15 08:03
All this just sounds to good to be true.  Think about it, why would a insurance company cover a item that cost 1000$ for less than a 100$.  with full replacement coverage.  also when you dont have any other coverage with state farm.   Too good to be true then its prob not.

They provide the coverage because their actuaries tell them they will take in more money from premiums than they pay out in claims. In comparison to other items, the policy cost is actually pretty high. Of course, it is a small enough number that they can hope to sell many policies... most of which (they hope) will never pay out.

You do have to watch the fine print (with ANY insurance policy). While reputable companies will certainly pay out valid claims, they don't always make it easy.

If your drone is not registered (required in the US) they can deny a claim.
If you were not following all FAA guidelines (which you agreed to when you registered) they can deny a claim.
...and so on.

If you are following every rule, you should collect on a claim. Of course, following every rule greatly decreases the chance of a problem. They may not waste money on a claims investigator, but it would be easy enough to require you submit the flight logs.

I'm not knocking the insurance, but I know how these companies operate (for a profit). If claims start coming in, it will become harder to collect. If enough come in, they will drop the product.
2016-12-29
Use props
Adam Flurk
First Officer
United States

jrm11 Posted at 2016-12-29 18:35
They provide the coverage because their actuaries tell them they will take in more money from premiums than they pay out in claims. In comparison to other items, the policy cost is actually pretty high. Of course, it is a small enough number that they can hope to sell many policies... most of which (they hope) will never pay out.

You do have to watch the fine print (with ANY insurance policy). While reputable companies will certainly pay out valid claims, they don't always make it easy.

You must be referencing the DJI insurance... Because there is no fine print related to drones specifically in regard to StateFarm's personal articles policy. I don't think paying $75/year for my bird is any different than my auto insurance.. Two totally different numbers, but both serving the same relational function.
2016-12-29
Use props
fans987d278a
Second Officer
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

Adam Flurk Posted at 2016-12-29 20:31
You must be referencing the DJI insurance... Because there is no fine print related to drones specifically in regard to StateFarm's personal articles policy. I don't think paying $75/year for my bird is any different than my auto insurance.. Two totally different numbers, but both serving the same relational function.

Those asking about Liability insurance I got a quote today.
Coverage of:
100,000, cost you approx. 650/yr. if something happens, like if you bonk someone in the head. I doubt this would be enough!
500,000. is approx.- 950/yr.
2016-12-30
Use props
BDeJonge1
lvl.1

United States

I was just able to add my P3A to my State Farm Insurance for $30 per year.
2016-12-30
Use props
jrm11
lvl.4
United States

Adam Flurk Posted at 2016-12-29 20:31

I don't know anything about DJIs "insurance." I was merely responding to a poster's question about how a company can offer a policy for the amount claimed.

Some here have referenced a policy that seems to be specific to drones or specifically include drones. Other's have noted that is is not available in all states. That seems to indicate it is a separate policy from (or rider to) a standard personal articles policy.

BTW - a personal articles policy is different than auto insurance. The primary purpose of auto insurance is liability coverage. A personal articles policy would typically cover loss/theft. Auto policies also have a deductible for theft/damage. The State Farm policy people have written about has no deductible.

Depending on your policy, carrier and other factors, your drone may be covered by your personal articles policy. If in doubt, best to check with your agent (and get it in writing).
2016-12-30
Use props
jrm11
lvl.4
United States

fans987d278a Posted at 2016-12-30 09:21
Those asking about Liability insurance I got a quote today.
Coverage of:
100,000, cost you approx. 650/yr. if something happens, like if you bonk someone in the head. I doubt this would be enough!

Is that just for drone coverage? Sounds extremely high. Liability insurance generally runs in the $1 _million_ range, not $100,000. Sure you aren't missing some zeros? (quote may have been for 100,000 "thousands" - insurance companies like to list coverages as "thousands.")

Keep in mind that you _may_ already have liability coverage through your homeowner's policy. Check your agent/carrier/policy to be sure.
2016-12-30
Use props
fansc667dc73
lvl.1

United States

Jc918 Posted at 2016-12-29 14:16
I can confirm I was able to insure my Phantom 4 Pro and iPad mini 4 for $60 a year with a zero deductible. I don't have state farm on my house or car just on my Phantom

What state are you in?
2016-12-30
Use props
boostedjohn
New

United States

Adam Flurk Posted at 2016-12-15 09:18
For anyone looking to get in contact with StateFarm and in Florida - Her is my reps info:

Anna Brogan

awesome, thanks for the info.. I called them today to handle the insurance. $75 for 1 year for $1800 of coverage.
2017-1-5
Use props
T3rdEye
Captain
Flight distance : 221844 ft
United States

As far as liability insurance..has anyone ever used “Verifly”?  If so, what is your take on it?

https://verifly.com/
2017-1-5
Use props
Adam Flurk
First Officer
United States

boostedjohn Posted at 2017-1-5 09:27
awesome, thanks for the info.. I called them today to handle the insurance. $75 for 1 year for $1800 of coverage.

Glad you got it worked out!
2017-1-5
Use props
dcorbo
lvl.3

United States

If anyone needs help insuring your drone in New Jersey or has any questions about the coverage PM me i work for State Farm.
2017-1-6
Use props
XRSTOY1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 107976 ft
United States

I too got the exact same info from my State Farm Agent here in Illinois...$60 a year everything is covered.
2017-1-6
Use props
Dronemeister
lvl.1

United States

After calling 3 State Farm agents, including my own, and State Farm corporate, I finally found one in Arizona that will insure my birds under a personal articles policy. Same as most, $60/yr for $1500 in coverage. If anyone's interested, call Robert Williams @ 623-386-4432.
2017-1-6
Use props
fansaae00df2
lvl.1

United States

Just got insurance for my drone in Texas through State Farm. $72 no deductible. Covers theft to accidentally crashing it. And covers my accessories and everything in my case club for my drone.
2017-1-7
Use props
AfterTheGlow270
New

United States

What are you guys saying when your speaking to the insurance agents?  Asking for personal property insurance or general liability?  Or getting a specific policy just to insure your phantom for X dollars?  How are you phrasing it for them?  I live in Kentucky and don't want to scare them off by saying 'drone' at the start just in case.  I'm registered with the FAA for recreational, insurance would be a nice next step.
2017-1-7
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
First Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

AfterTheGlow270 Posted at 2017-1-7 15:08
What are you guys saying when your speaking to the insurance agents?  Asking for personal property insurance or general liability?  Or getting a specific policy just to insure your phantom for X dollars?  How are you phrasing it for them?  I live in Kentucky and don't want to scare them off by saying 'drone' at the start just in case.  I'm registered with the FAA for recreational, insurance would be a nice next step.

I got personal property insurance.
2017-1-9
Use props
T3rdEye
Captain
United States

Just talked to a State Farm rep here in Indiana.  They will only insure the sUAS for recreational use only.  Not if you plan to use it commercially..
2017-1-9
Use props
dcorbo
lvl.3

United States

The policy is called a "personal articles policy". Most reps are not going to know how to rate the policy since we rarely do these types of policies but we can cover drones (at least in NJ) and cameras if they are attached to the drone permanently. I work for State Farm so you guys can ask me any questions you have.
2017-1-9
Use props
FPVCRASHER
lvl.1

United States

T3rdEye Posted at 2017-1-5 10:25
As far as liability insurance..has anyone ever used “Verifly”?  If so, what is your take on it?

https://verifly.com/

I have a friend of mine that recommended it to me although he hasn't had to use it yet.  Looks good though.
2017-1-9
Use props
ZCYJ8Pymnp6o
lvl.1

United States

Adam Flurk Posted at 2016-4-14 10:00
Anyone have a StateFarm person in Florida that has been able to get insurance for their drone?

Did you ever hear if anyone in Florida received insurance on their drone?
2017-1-10
Use props
Adam Flurk
First Officer
United States

ZCYJ8Pymnp6o Posted at 2017-1-10 12:43
Did you ever hear if anyone in Florida received insurance on their drone?

I live and Florida and have StateFarm Insurance for my drone. I've posted my agents info in this forum in an earlier response.
Again:
Anna Brogan
Phone: 407-677-0007
Email: anna.c.brogan.dtk5@statefarm.com
2017-1-10
Use props
dcorbo
lvl.3

United States

Any NJ guys in here that need insurance feel free to shoot me a text. 973-479-9959. I work in the Paramus State Farm office.
2017-1-11
Use props
Nightjumper
New
United States

I live on St Simons Island, GA and just insured both my P4 &P4 Pro for a total of $82 a year.  DJICare was $219 for one and $149 for the other.  No brainer!
2017-1-11
Use props
fans92ecba05
Flight distance : 2577828 ft
  • >>>
United States

...BUMMER! - so is there NO chance of getting insured for UAS damage from a major insurance company in CA? - and what about any options for UAS damage insurance for licensed 107 fliers? - and; OFF TOPIC: can licensed 107 fliers EVER be classified as recreational when flying a non-commercial flight? - thanks to anyone with knowledge on this!
2017-1-13
Use props
dab1294
lvl.1
United States

I spoke with a State Farm rep here in TN, (USAA said no), about some coverage for a Mavic I just ordered today. She was very friendly and excited to look into it for me. I'll update on Monday and let you know what she comes up with. The ability to keep the coverage for more than one year is the big draw for me over the DJI Care Refresh.
2017-1-20
Use props
Chris Valcik
lvl.1

United States

State Farm in NY same deal.
2017-1-20
Use props
dab1294
lvl.1
United States

Agent got back with me, they're covering the drone, accessories, and my Ipad Air for $60/year. (TENNESSEE)
2017-1-23
Use props
kerrylaw
lvl.1

United States

I live in IOWA and just got my P3P insured for $1000, through State Farm, for only $30/yr.     
2017-1-23
Use props
928Estates
lvl.1
Flight distance : 453346 ft
United States

T3rdEye Posted at 2017-1-9 11:00
Just talked to a State Farm rep here in Indiana.  They will only insure the sUAS for recreational use only.  Not if you plan to use it commercially..

That is exactly what my agent told me up here in WA as well!
2017-1-23
Use props
Occifer1234
lvl.1
United States

I just called State Farm in Indiana and I was able to get my fly more combo covered for $60/year.  Although I don't have state farm for my home insurance they were still happy to provide me with drone insurance.  Very happy with this option and means I don't have to be as careful anymore.  
2017-1-24
Use props
T3rdEye
Captain
United States

Occifer1234 Posted at 2017-1-24 11:12
I just called State Farm in Indiana and I was able to get my fly more combo covered for $60/year.  Although I don't have state farm for my home insurance they were still happy to provide me with drone insurance.  Very happy with this option and means I don't have to be as careful anymore.

Glad to hear that.  Did they ask you if it was for recreational use only or do you fly  commercial?
2017-1-24
Use props
CBJ72
lvl.1

United States

Anyone here have specific information regarding insurance in Central Ohio?  I just figured I would ask before I just went and started contacting all the agents in my area.  I mentioned it to my agent that has my homeowners and auto policies and he thought I was nuts!
2017-1-24
Use props
Occifer1234
lvl.1
United States

T3rdEye Posted at 2017-1-24 11:50
Glad to hear that.  Did they ask you if it was for recreational use only or do you fly  commercial?

Yes.  I am using for recreational use so was not a concern.  
2017-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules