Phantom 4 Goggles - head tracking
11788 12 2016-4-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jeffdefrancisco
New

United States

I just purchased my Phantom 4 and love it.  One thing though.  I have been looking for FPV goggles.  I contacted FatShark and they recommended Dominator v3.  When I inquired about installing the head tracking feature they said that they dont think it will work because the P4 has some type of camera stabilization feature or something.  1.) Is this correct?

2.) Are there goggles for the Phantom 4 that will allow for head tracking feature because I really want that?
3.) Anyone recommend goggles?
Thank you!
Jeff

2016-4-5
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello, I've seen one phantom 3 pro user who uses litchi with VR box 2 to do the head tracking on YouTube.I guess it's supposed to work with P4
2016-4-5
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Get the Dominator HD2
2016-4-5
Use props
wrathofkhan
Banned

Australia

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-5
Use props
jeffdefrancisco
New

United States

Thank you for the comments.  I will look into the Dominator HD2.  I really would like the head tracking feature since it will make using the goggles and looking around a lot easier.  I am concerned that Fat Shark said that the head tracking feature only works on a Phantom 3 since the Phantom 4 has the camera stabilization built into it.  I contacted DJI and asked for an answer to that question and I still have not gotten a response.
2016-4-5
Use props
FPV Booster
lvl.3

Hong Kong

If you have iPhone, check FPV Camera . FPV goggles app with head tracking http://fpvbooster.com/index.php? ... &view=article&id=27
2016-4-5
Use props
hungdang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4931706 ft
  • >>>
Australia

wrathofkhan Posted at 2016-4-5 21:56
On the P 4 you will need the HDMI output module and from that I found out that the Dominator HD2 i ...

watch this review of HD 2 and Dominator 3
2016-4-5
Use props
jeffdefrancisco
New

United States

Below is the email I received from FatShark:
They said the
1.) Dominator V3 is more compatible with the format of the P4.... and not the HD2
2.) Head tracking won't work with the P4 given the camera stabilization.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for contacting Fat Shark about your purchasing decision. The Phantom 4, like the Phantom 3, needs an HDMI output module upgrade to the controller. https://store.dji.com/product/phantom-3-hdmi-output-module

I recommend the DominatorV3 headset as it has the 16:9 format to match the HD format of the Phantom (HD2 will be horizontally compressed). The head tracking will not work with the Phantom 4 as the camera is stabilized and angle controlled by the controller. There isn't anyway (that I'm aware of) to control the gimbal with the optional head tracker module.

Hope this helps.

Compatibility

Sincerely,
Randy

--
support@fatshark.com
2016-4-6
Use props
patou72
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3316614 ft

When you take a look in the Google Playstore for the 3D FPV App you got an information that the Headtracking is not working anymore due to a "bug" in the Last DJI SDK. They say also that there is no indication from Dji about a schedule when this will be fixed...

Can somebody confirm that?

Thanks
2016-4-6
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

The head tracking you guys are talking about is not what you will get with the P3 or the P4.  The only control of the gimbal you will have is the gimbal tilt.  The P3 and the P4 require you to turn the drone to turn the camera.  If you had an Inspire you could use this.  But probably not.
To my knowledge,  and I have done much research on this,  the only way to get full head tracking is;  you have to have an aircraft that uses a futaba controller.  The,  you need two of the controllers.  One of them you use.  The other is connected to that one through the training port on the controllers.  You connect the goggles,  with the head tracking module installed,  into the second controller and you wear the goggles.  That is at present the only way to get full head tracking with any situation that I am aware of.  To get gimbal tilt control with the P3 or P4,  the Fatshark goggles WILL NOT WORK.  If you want this ability,  well,  the way I do it is to use the google goggles and Litchi.  You don't have to use the chintzy cardboard housing,  you can but a plastic 3d printed housing made by many different companies.  You use them by putting your smart phone inside them.  This gives you a great display at 720p resolution,  with gimbal control of the tilt by tilting your head.  It also gives you a 70 degree field of view.  The Dominator V3 goggles give you a 40 degree field of view.  I have a pair.  I don't use them anymore.  The goggle goggle setup is far superior and much cheaper.
Ciao
2016-4-6
Use props
rwhoffart
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13068 ft
United States

Head Tracker DOES work with the P4 ... it has very limited side to side movement but will control the up and down moment of your gimbal. I don't know if it will work with the Dominator V3's but it does work with the new Glyph's. The problem is it takes up your USB port so you will not have a device to fall back on for settings.

It's discussed here ... https://www.facebook.com/groups/ ... k/1524399457868704/
2016-4-6
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

rwhoffart@gmail Posted at 2016-4-6 18:29
Head Tracker DOES work with the P4 ... it has very limited side to side movement but will control th ...

These guys are mostly talking about full head tracking.  Wherever you look the camera looks or the drone turns.  Full 360 degree.  Not going to happen on the P3 or P4  with what is currently available.
2016-4-6
Use props
EzyFly
New

Fiji

I have figured a workaround to be able to use headtracking with the Fatshark goggles & DJI Phantom 3 Pro. You wont have to change the P3 camera or use a compatible controller. Keep in mind that this is just what it is a "workaround" that is work in progress until a technical break through on this happens. Here's the link if you are interested:

2016-11-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules