Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Low-level flying over the Suffolk Coast
2317 29 2016-4-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wellsi
Captain
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Flying around the Suffolk Coast near Bawdsey Manor, formerly RAF Bawdsey where modern day radar was developed.   Practised my low-level flying along the beach and through the sea defences, then headed inland to graze some water reeds.  

The main video was taken just a few days before I had to say goodbye to my faithful West Highland Terrier, Alfie, as his health suddenly went down hill. Sad times, but I dug out some old phone video footage of the dogs on the same beach 13 years earlier when he was just 8 months old and mixed it in.  It nicely shows how much mobile phone video quality has moved on in the last decade

Edit: towards the end, the church shown was originally a round Anglo-Saxon watch tower from the 9th  Century. The Normans then built the church onto it a hundred years or so  later and a thousand years on it's still the main parish church.

As ever, this is just a home video that I've posted for people to have a look at and feedback any technical improvements they can offer.

Happy flying

Cheers,
Ian

2016-4-6
Use props
John Boy
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi Ian,sorry to hear about the the loss of Alfie mate.Had dogs all my life up until  a year or so ago,so i know how close we get to them.
But on a lighter note, another truly brilliant video!!  Loved it mate.
Do you have trouble viewing your screen on bright sunny days like that though?
I purchased a hood for mine,wear sunglasses etc etc and can still barely see the screen!!
2016-4-6
Use props
John Boy
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Just subscibed to your YouTube channel too
2016-4-6
Use props
DrGiggles
lvl.1

United States

Nice footage you got there! I thought you were going to hit one of those posts when you were cruising down the beachfront.  What was that large building there? Neat place!
Looks like a peaceful place. Good place to take the wife for a sunset stroll.
2016-4-6
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lovely video Ian, some nice low level shots there, one or two close calls maybe ?

And nicely complimented with the music.
2016-4-6
Use props
wellsi
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

John Boy Posted at 2016-4-6 20:26
Hi Ian,sorry to hear about the the loss of Alfie mate.Had dogs all my life up until  a year or so ag ...

Thanks John,
Had fun making this video; a brilliant sunny day.  Much of the beach flying was done with me watching the drone itself rather than the screen.   When it's sunny, all I can do is turn and have the screen in my shadow...
Hopefully will get some decent weather this coming weekend.
2016-4-6
Use props
wellsi
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DrGiggles Posted at 2016-4-6 21:38
Nice footage you got there! I thought you were going to hit one of those posts when you were cruisin ...

Thanks fella
Great spot; as said earlier, it's the former Royal Air Force Bawdsey research station; an impressive country manor that's now a private college. With some good gardeners by the looks of it.
Cheers,
Ian

2016-4-6
Use props
wellsi
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2016-4-6 22:17
Lovely video Ian, some nice low level shots there, one or two close calls maybe ?

And nicely com ...

Thanks Aardvark
Have to say it didn't look as close when I was shooting it.  The long beach flight was done with me directly behind the drone, so I had a clear line of sight with the drone flying directly away from me.  This let me line it up to get as close as possible to the Groynes and sea defences without actually hitting them.

The water reeds were fun; I did actually graze the tips a few times.  
Again, watching the actual drone rather than the screen and being at eye level helped the flying.

Cheers

Ian

2016-4-6
Use props
digdat0
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11896378 ft
United States

Like the home movie on the beginning, intersting comparison to today. (What kinda dogs are those?)

Low alt flying can be a challenge to ensure you don't have the props showing in video. I found better to get the shot and go slow, and then speed it up in premeier to avoid the props, than going too fast.

Loved how you went up, then backwards at 2:15 or so.

Good choice of music, reminds me of visiting Ireland a few months back. Not quite irish, but gave me that feeling of it

at 4:50, would be cool to see you orbit one of those sail boats.

For the tree shot at 6:44, are you holding the drone?

Overall, great vid man! thanks for sharing
2016-4-6
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Good video. But I find a little vibration from 1:50 to 2:10. Was it strong wind at that time?  Also you can calibrate the IMU and gimbal before next flight, which may help reduce the vibration.
2016-4-6
Use props
wellsi
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

digdat0@gmail.c Posted at 2016-4-6 23:01
Like the home movie on the beginning, intersting comparison to today. (What kinda dogs are those?)

Thanks digdat
Beagle and a Westie; both just under a year old on the old home movie.
The music should remind you of Ireland; it's from Riverdance

The estuary panning into the reeds, the cows and also the close up of the tree in blossom is 4k video on my Samsung S7.  I recorded some sound track on that too and blended it in.
And if you want boats, I made a longer video at the Mersea Island boat yards last month
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=46135

Thanks again for the feedback.
Cheers,
Ian
2016-4-6
Use props
wellsi
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-4-7 05:27
Good video. But I find a little vibration from 1:50 to 2:10. Was it strong wind at that time?  Also  ...

Thank Paladin
It wasn't particularly windy and I'm working to reduce my occasional 'jello' effects.  I've reduced the gimbal gains to 80%.  I've also got some ND filters on order to see if that helps.
I haven't calibrated the IMU or Gimbal in over 2 months; I'll try that too this weekend.

Cheers again for the feedback.
Ian
2016-4-6
Use props
camhinton
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Hi Ian,

This is incredible. Great filming and editing of a great area and beach! Ive subscribed to your YouTube channel and hope to see more videos soon. Check out the coast in Cornwall in a film I did last week -
2016-4-8
Use props
G_MEZ_G
lvl.4

Cool video!
2016-4-8
Use props
wellsi
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

camhinton Posted at 2016-4-8 12:40
Hi Ian,

This is incredible. Great filming and editing of a great area and beach! Ive subscribed to ...

Hi Camhinton
Thanks for that; and great video yourself.  Makes me want to go back on holiday to the West Country again...
I only get a video out every couple of weeks, and that depends on the weather. Which ain't great today

Ian
2016-4-9
Use props
-=RaM=-
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Another Awesome shoot...Thanks Ian
2016-4-12
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Ian,

Nice video and the music!  Sorry to hear about Alfie though.

I really liked the fast, low level flying.  When you were in the marsh following the swan out of the water, did you see the black duckling run into the reeds on the left when you slowly came up over the mother?  

You are so right.  Our video is way better than even just a few years ago.  Looks like your time of year starting.  Great for video!  Nice job.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-4-13
Use props
wellsi
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cetaman Posted at 2016-4-13 10:46
Aloha Ian,

Nice video and the music!  Sorry to hear about Alfie though.

Thanks as ever Cetaman for your good words.
Yes, saw the black bird; I have a feeling it was a Moorhen as they are always very easily spooked.

I forgot to mention the church was originally a round Anglo-Saxon watch tower from the 9th Century. The Normans then built the church onto it a hundred years or so later.
When we got there, the church warden was clearing up some things in the church. We got speaking to him to get the history; I then showed him the drone and said I wanted to take some pictures for my own personal use, and would he like copies of them, at no charge of course, for whatever use he wanted, for instance in the parish magazine.  He was extremely interested and happy, and was pretty chuffed when he got the photos emailed to him.
As ever, when you explain things, people love drones....

Ian
2016-4-15
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

wellsi Posted at 2016-4-15 09:07
Thanks as ever Cetaman for your good words.
Yes, saw the black bird; I have a feeling it was a Moor ...

Aloha Ian,

Great backstory!  As usual I really appreciate the history to.  What are swan babies called?  Anyway, are they black?  We have Hawaiian moorhens here (‘alae ‘ula) in our marshes and all I could think of was the story of the ugly duckling.  Above all, you flew above all and another fun and entertaining video.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-4-15
Use props
wellsi
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cetaman Posted at 2016-4-16 00:52
Aloha Ian,

Great backstory!  As usual I really appreciate the history to.  What are swan bab ...

Baby swans are called cygnets  (pronounced sig-nets).  And they truly are the basis for the ugly duckling story; clumsy, grey and nothing like the swans they eventually grow up to be

2016-4-15
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

wellsi Posted at 2016-4-15 21:16
Baby swans are called cygnets  (pronounced sig-nets).  And they truly are the basis for the ugly d ...

Aloha Ian,

Well, that must have been a moorhen because it was black, not gray.  If that moorhen was the same size as our 'alae 'ula, that swan is ginormous.  Cool video as usual.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-4-15
Use props
Spare Wheel
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi Ian,

Nicely done, but do watch out for those not-so-good yaw twitch pans - and those members of the public (unless under your control) you passed on the beach.

Are you accumulating videos for subscriptions to your YouTube Channel?

Seems like one or two here are subscribing. Perhaps you need to realise (as if you don't)  that subscriptions, and eventually advertisers to your channel and then profit, is considered flying for commercial purposes.

Insurance for a Cessna 172 with about 12 months experience PPL is about £1200. Insurance for a DJI Phantom 3P less than 12 months PFAW is £600. Go figure...

What price your third party insurance I wonder?

Look forward to more videos.

2016-4-16
Use props
talk2t_c
Second Officer

France

Brings it all back - did my RAF training there late 1969 (Air defence and Fighter control).

Nice one.
2016-4-16
Use props
Homestead72
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Nice job Ian.  I liked it.  I tried a similar thing on the coast at Teignmouth in Devon last weekend, but had to cut the flight short as the flippin' seagulls were buzzing my drone!!!!
2016-4-16
Use props
talk2t_c
Second Officer

France

Homestead72 Posted at 2016-4-16 19:01
Nice job Ian.  I liked it.  I tried a similar thing on the coast at Teignmouth in Devon last weekend ...

As we get into the nesting period, people should be aware of the protective instincts of birds.  Especially the bigger ones like gulls.
2016-4-16
Use props
Homestead72
lvl.3

United Kingdom

talk2t_c Posted at 2016-4-16 21:38
As we get into the nesting period, people should be aware of the protective instincts of birds.  E ...

Good call talk2t_c.  Hadn't appreciated that.  I will be more aware now though.
2016-4-16
Use props
wellsi
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Spare Wheel Posted at 2016-4-16 17:28
Hi Ian,

Nicely done, but do watch out for those not-so-good yaw twitch pans - and those members of  ...

Hi Spare Wheel,
Yes, flying near the odd person on quiet beaches is about the only rule I break on a regular basis.
I have disabled ads on You Tube; it's not in any way for advertising revenue; the ads appear because I use copyrighted music which You Tube allows under their contracts with the ad revenue going to the music rights holder.  These videos are for me, friends and family, and I make some of them public for feedback like here.  

The yaw pitches are something I's still working on.  I keep lowering the gains and trying to be less gentler on the controls....   Big paws on small control sticks
2016-4-16
Use props
wellsi
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

talk2t_c Posted at 2016-4-16 21:38
As we get into the nesting period, people should be aware of the protective instincts of birds.  E ...

Watch out for gulls.  Especially if you're over water as they will stop your props!

This was a longer video I did a few weeks ago and around the 9:00 minute point it shows where got dive bombed by a load of gulls.  They were flying up directly at the drone and getting to within a foot or two of it.   I moved pretty sharpish towards land

http://forum.dji.com/thread-46135-1-1.html
2016-4-16
Use props
talk2t_c
Second Officer

France

wellsi Posted at 2016-4-17 08:46
Watch out for gulls.  Especially if you're over water as they will stop your props!

This was a l ...

I think on that occasion - they were just being nosy.    

But don't trust them or  
2016-4-17
Use props
bryn1
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Nice video, loved the low level flying and looks like a cracking beach for a good walk may just have to pay it a visit (I'm in Norfolk)
2016-4-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules