Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 4 Drops Altitude
27174 309 2016-4-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SectorDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1114649 ft
  • >>>
Malaysia

ItsMarky Posted at 2016-4-19 18:38
thanks for the reply. yeah, hopefully in the coming days. I think I will be grounded and just fly  ...

I dont think no u need to stop flying yr P4 ... Just dont get near anything below it..while waiting for the fix..

2016-4-19
Use props
SectorDrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Malaysia

I dont think no u need to stop flying yr P4 ... Just dont get near anything below it..while waiting for the fIx...

Can u throttle up when its happening right?
2016-4-19
Use props
Mike_S
lvl.1
Flight distance : 121404 ft
United Kingdom

I've also noticed drops, some significant of up to 10m, but it does seem to depend on height - is this something I should be looking to get 'fixed', by returning, etc, or is it an issue that will be resolved via firmware?
2016-4-19
Use props
parkgt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

Mike_S Posted at 2016-4-19 08:34
I've also noticed drops, some significant of up to 10m, but it does seem to depend on height - is th ...

This was reported over three weeks ago and still no fix.  So those that said that it should be an easy fix must have been mistaken; or DJI doesn't do easy.

Live with it until orif DJI can come up with a fix it or return for refund and wait to see if it is ever fixed.
2016-4-19
Use props
Richard in Bois
lvl.3
Flight distance : 34721 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-19 12:17
You, like the other member, have not read the posts in this thread. DJI-Tim responded asking for i ...

I beg to differ... I have read other threads on this subject and DJI continues to ask for logs as if they don't have enough.  Rather than asking for more logs, they could have responded that they are aware of the issue and are investigating causes for a possible resolution.  
2016-4-19
Use props
mark.mwilliams7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1235738 ft
United Kingdom

Richard in Bois Posted at 2016-4-19 22:25
I beg to differ... I have read other threads on this subject and DJI continues to ask for logs as  ...

They have post 25 DJI Tim has said they are working on it
2016-4-19
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ItsMarky Posted at 2016-4-19 10:22
I decided to send the video to DJI Support last night, they told me they could not see the Phantom ...

To be fair it's not exactly clear from that video whether the P4 is losing altitude or getting further away, a better demonstration would be flying across the screen parallel to the camera.
2016-4-19
Use props
Mike78
New

Germany

Hi all,

have the same problem with the altitude drop.
DJI Support just mentioned to upgrade to latest Firmware and calibrate IMU.

This is how it looks for me...

2016-4-19
Use props
parkgt
lvl.4
United States

Mike78 Posted at 2016-4-19 16:58
Hi all,

"DJI Support just mentioned to upgrade to latest Firmware and calibrate IMU"

That seems to be their canned reply for any problem they don't have a solutions for.

But it never hurts to try.
2016-4-19
Use props
SectorDrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Malaysia

Mike78 Posted at 2016-4-20 05:58
Hi all,

Looks like and I said... The quad gain some altitue and compensated afetr braking...right?
2016-4-19
Use props
taz291819
lvl.1

United States

SectorDrone Posted at 2016-4-19 18:57
Looks like and I said... The quad gain some altitue and compensated afetr braking...right?

That's not the problem.  I can have it flying 10 feet off the ground, and when coming to a stop (let go of the sticks), it'll come to a hover, and drop a good 6 feet.  And that's not flying in sports mode.  

And yes, you can compensate the drop, as I've learned to do.  Though, it's not right, as my father's P3A doesn't do this.
2016-4-19
Use props
TK-421
Banned

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-19
Use props
jaraxle1zx
lvl.1

United States

I've just adjusted my flying to make up for the drop.
The 4 is really stupid easy to fly.

Don't think I would go all out in sport mode 3-4 foot off the ground but other than that I can live with it till the fix
2016-4-19
Use props
jeremynichol1
lvl.2

Canada

I also have the drop issue but just glad it's not just me. There will be a fix soon since there is so many reports
2016-4-19
Use props
parkgt
lvl.4
United States

jeremynichol1 Posted at 2016-4-19 22:32
I also have the drop issue but just glad it's not just me. There will be a fix soon since there is s ...

"There will be a fix soon since there is so many reports"

Since it has already been over three weeks from the first reports what makes you say soon?
2016-4-19
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I know this issue might well be frustrating for you guys but I suspect with logs being sent in, DJI can resolve it fairly easy in firmware ( definitely not a hardware issue )..

I think its been mentioned before but I will repeat it, adding just a tiny bit of stick up cancels out the drop. And it only happens when going at a fair rate of speed.

2016-4-20
Use props
spitando
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68284 ft
Sweden

Hi guys,

Facing the same issue here,  today is my 7º day with P4 and still  wondering if I return or not.
In mine i didnt notice the drop when flighing backwards only forward.

Sploodge, instead of let the controler free after going forward, we can apply some  stick back and will avoid the drop?

Its my first DJI product im im starting to be very piss with all this issues: #Altitudedrop #HorizontalIssue #lessrange #purpleHorizontalLinesVideo #FWUpgradeIssues
Too much issues fot 1600€ toy

2016-4-21
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Do you mean left stick back?  As in descend?
2016-4-21
Use props
TK-421
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-21
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yeah that would make sense to me too, which is why I asked
2016-4-21
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

spitando@gmail. Posted at 2016-4-21 13:51
Hi guys,

Facing the same issue here,  today is my 7º day with P4 and still  wondering if I return  ...

Some upwards left stick ( throttle ).. Only needs to be tiny.
2016-4-21
Use props
projeffrey11
lvl.2

United States

mcritchley Posted at 2016-4-13 10:40
I have experienced a small drop when stopping due to object avoidance.  The craft was travelling at  ...

Wow very close call.
2016-4-21
Use props
CdnP3P
lvl.1

Canada

I hope DJI actually do something for the Phantom 4 owners unlike the false promises they made to the phantom 3 owners who were suffering from severe vibration issuses.  DJI made many requests for flight logs, which P3 users provided.  Promises were made by Dji that the issue was being investigated and would be resolved.  Some owners sent their P3 for repair but the vibration problem was not fixed. The vibration issue for the P3 has dragged on for months but has never been resolved.  Two things come to mind.  I wonder how Apple will feel promoting a product with at best a dubious support record?  Thank goodness for the rapidly growing competition in the drone industry so consumers are able to vote with their wallets.  Watch your return deadlines carefully and good luck.  BTW, I own a Wookong, Nasa and P3 but won't be participating in the Dji development program  of the P4.
2016-4-21
Use props
chriswoodley303
lvl.1

United States

Add another one with the same issue, verified today several times.  Badly needs a fix as I like to fly low for cinematography.
2016-4-23
Use props
john_pullen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20778 ft

Adding my name to this thread. Had my P4 for a week and have the altitude drop issue and squeak from gimbal at startup which other people have had. I really love this thing and really don't want to return it. Come on DJI?
2016-4-24
Use props
parkgt
lvl.4
United States

john_pullen@yah Posted at 2016-4-24 15:53
Adding my name to this thread. Had my P4 for a week and have the altitude drop issue and squeak from ...

Increasing returns at Apple, BestBuy etc will probably get more attention than the posts here.

I hope many return their P4s rather than accepting this flaw.
2016-4-24
Use props
juliovincentyjr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 829908 ft
United States

I just got home from flying. Mine dropped about 3-5 feet then went back up to the point were it dropped.
2016-4-24
Use props
johnymakaa
New

United States

I just bought a P4 and noticed the drop problem almost immediately and came here to see if others are seeing the same. Apparently so, ha!. I bought the P4 after flying my friends P3 for a week, and the P3 doesn't have the same behavior. It's noticeable and scary - and easy to duplicate: Fly the drone in a straight line at a consistent altitude and at medium speed using only the right stick. Release the stick(s) completely and take your hands away.  The P4 will decelerate and then drop 5 - 6 feet. It shows up on video, too.
2016-4-24
Use props
juliovincentyjr
lvl.2
United States

To the folks experiencing the drop, are you updated on firmware?
2016-4-25
Use props
juliovincentyjr
lvl.2
United States

https://plus.google.com/109888886297227800013/posts/6zbFFEMgWPf
2016-4-25
Use props
juliovincentyjr
lvl.2
United States

https://plus.google.com/109888886297227800013/posts/DMkhZb43Gjh
2016-4-25
Use props
juliovincentyjr
lvl.2
United States

I did some testing last night. It only happens when I'm over 30 feet. If I'm under the 30 feet it did not drop like that. I will be testing again today to test this theory
2016-4-25
Use props
ItsMarky
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hope you guys are still not having too many issues regarding this problem. I decided to make a quick video that might help others fix this issue. As always, comments and questions are always welcome!

2016-4-25
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Did any of these sort your drop ? Would be interesting to hear. My previous P4 suffered from this dropping, and I had covered most of the points you made. The best explanation has to be the firmware fix.
2016-4-25
Use props
ktusa7
lvl.2

United States

Any News DJI? Are you still working on trying to fix this? If you don't hurry Apple will definitely drop your business. Apple managers are starting to get soooo upset on all the complaints and returns!! I went to the store to exchange my 4th one and the manager said: "please don't buy it". That tells you everything.
2016-4-25
Use props
ktusa7
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-4-11 06:00
I've seen this issue in another thread and would like to pass it to our developers. We will keep mak ...

Any kind of compensation for my 4th trips to Apple Store and keep exchanging and testing this constant problem? I have yet not been able to enjoy this beautiful machine, that's soooo frustrating, time consuming and embarrassing. My last flight, I was so worried about checking the drop on a flight over water and a wind gust came and the case that came with the P4 flue into the ocean and gone, I lost the case, 4 propellers, the plastic camera holder and one brand new battery. The least you should do is offer some type of compensation. Please let me know. Thank you.
2016-4-25
Use props
SectorDrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

The best way is to keep yr P4 and wait for the FW fix.  Or return the P4 to apple for good !
2016-4-26
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft

Craig Rogers Posted at 2016-4-15 20:52
Am I the only one that hasn't experienced this issue?  I've not really flown that much yet, but apar ...

I have two and I have had zero problems on my first and EVERYTHING but this issue on my second.  Maybe I should just count my lucky stats.

Oh wait, but the thing wont go more than 100 meters away before disconnecting COMPLETELY from my iPad.  Ugh.
2016-4-26
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just as a thought, I noticed yesterday when calibrating my RC that if the sticks were let go then in some directions they had a tendency to bounce in the opposite direction giving a brief but definite reading (although in this case not the throttle stick, will I have a drop on  this latest P4 ? will have to wait 'til I test). I can't test at moment due to UK weather (snowing as I type). Could this be part of the problem I wonder ?
2016-4-26
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft

ktusa7 Posted at 2016-4-26 12:33
Any kind of compensation for my 4th trips to Apple Store and keep exchanging and testing this cons ...

I understand the frustration, believe me, but you cannot blame DJI for that.  All the other stuff, yes, but not you losing your case and battery in the wind to the water.

I feel horrible for you that that happened but come on.

And believe me, I know how you feel about sick of being in the Apple Stores (my second has been a disaster but not this issue).  Mine has been connection issues only.  The manager of the Apple Store at The Beverly Center in LA said that they haven't been getting a lot of returns for what it's worth.  That said, maybe he was just saying that.

Maybe that guy was just referring to you? Maybe not. I know I felt like I was making the Apple guys frustrated but they were, as always, amazing.  In fact, the manager called me directly like 3 days later to see how I was getting on but I hadn't even looked at the bird yet because I had to give myself a break from troubleshooting it.  

I haven't decided what I am going to do yet but I am decidedly frustrated with all of it.  Sucks, because the Phantom was my favorite toy.
2016-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules