Best vide setting for night video?
5691 16 2016-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
projeffrey11
lvl.2

United States

I seem to be getting lots of noise in my video at night even more in manual mode I don't know why?! I'm starting to think my camera is messed up because the noise is also very much present during day flights using ND filters from DJI. If anyone has any  suggestions please let me know, for now I'll keep playing with my camera settings.
Oh yes how do you manually  adjust the shutter speed on the camera mine seems to be locked on the DJI Go-app?
2016-4-12
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

It is usual for small sensor cameras. You can shot in D-log and restore details and do noise reduction in post production
2016-4-12
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

just to make sure, your not using the nd filters at night correct?     the nd filters you are using are they the thread on kind or slip fit?    may want to check and clean the inside of the stock lense cover, if your taking it on and off a lot you may get dust and smudges inside, also the primary lense cover under the filters.

dust and dirt can cause alot of noise with these smaller sensors.  wish they could strap a full frame mirrorless like nikon 1
2016-4-12
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

The first thing to recognise is that these cameras are not low-light cameras, far from it. They can take some pretty good still shots at night using long exposures, if the aircraft is stable and there is no wind, but video is another story. And yes, you will get lots of noise because the camera is cranking up the video gain all the time.
2016-4-12
Use props
projeffrey11
lvl.2

United States

quickpoint Posted at 2016-4-12 21:07
just to make sure, your not using the nd filters at night correct?     the nd filters you are using  ...

The nd filters I'm using are the official DJI screw on filters, and yeah I'm not using any ND filter a night that's common sense lol.
2016-4-12
Use props
projeffrey11
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-4-12 21:03
It is usual for small sensor cameras. You can shot in D-log and restore details and do noise reducti ...

I do use the D-log profile already.
2016-4-12
Use props
projeffrey11
lvl.2

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-12 21:37
The first thing to recognise is that these cameras are not low-light cameras, far from it. They can  ...

I've seen other Phantom-4 pilots make amazing night videos so I'm pretty sure something is wrong. I mean I know the P4 isn't exactly the strongest flying camera in the sky but it is very  capable.
2016-4-12
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

projeffrey11 Posted at 2016-4-13 15:35
I've seen other Phantom-4 pilots make amazing night videos so I'm pretty sure something is wrong.  ...

Ok, your call.
2016-4-12
Use props
projeffrey11
lvl.2

United States

Thanks for the input.
2016-4-13
Use props
damienman12
lvl.1

United States

At night I'm going to assume you are cranking your ISO high to allow more light in. That will always result in more noise. Any night time video that looks great, was either shot with lots of light present, or not with a phantom . These cameras are great yes but not made for night time flying in any regard.
2016-4-13
Use props
madaerial
lvl.2
Flight distance : 512251 ft
United States

You should also consider the possibility that some of the night videos you are admiring may have have additional post processing to remove noise. But, I think what you are really wondering is if there is a problem with your sensor. If you post some of your noisey day time footage, I'm sure people will have more relevant opinions on that matter. I have only done one quick night flight (as it is discouraged by the FAA), but I was really surprised how terrible the camera was - sort of decided not to fly at night - maybe I will try again downtown with more light sometime.
2016-4-13
Use props
projeffrey11
lvl.2

United States

damienman12 Posted at 2016-4-13 11:08
At night I'm going to assume you are cranking your ISO high to allow more light in. That will always ...

That may be so but then again I don't always fly at night. My main problem is the noise I'm getting in the video even during the day with manual settings and with a ND filter, I feel like I may have a bad camera.
2016-4-13
Use props
projeffrey11
lvl.2

United States

madaerial Posted at 2016-4-13 11:51
You should also consider the possibility that some of the night videos you are admiring may have hav ...

Thank you for the info, I am aware that the FAA doesn't like the idea of night flight's but as long as I'm not breaking any laws I'm okay with it. But you are right I need to make a video showing my problem with the "CAM" so I think I will make a video showing night and day video. Oh by the way I got a new P4 so now I'll be able to know for sure if it was a bad sensor or not.
2016-4-13
Use props
madaerial
lvl.2
United States

Yeah, well. I'm not an innocent man either. I have been a tiny bit above 400 feet (using Flightradar24 app to ensure no flights in the area). I also used to fly my Phantom 1 at night all the time, but I don't know if it was against the FAA's safety guidelines yet at that time. Either way, safe flying!
2016-4-14
Use props
madaerial
lvl.2
United States

I finally got around to that low light test. I was pretty impressed. Due to a defect on my stock lens (I am waiting for a replacement.), I actually used an ND8 for this shoot.

2016-5-5
Use props
projeffrey11
lvl.2

United States

madaerial Posted at 2016-5-5 20:57
I finally got around to that low light test. I was pretty impressed. Due to a defect on my stock len ...

Cool video thanks for sharing that. Why did you  decide to use a ND8 filter rather then a ND4? Also what setting did you use auto or manual?
2016-5-6
Use props
madaerial
lvl.2
United States

It was what I had.
I used auto settings, shooting in dlog, and did color correction in post production.
2016-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules