Australia

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-13
Use props
atis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41775 ft
Philippines

My thoughts also.  There are other problems that you have not quoted, that I have read on this forum. Some have been resolved though.
I plan to purchase a P4 in Australia in August on my return from Philippines, I just hope updates have fixed any problems.
The cost in Australia is 2400 AUD.  and with filters and other accessories I am looking at almost 3000 dollars AUD.
The P 4 is a great bird.  We all know a new model of any Gizmo will have teething probs so here's hoping.
2016-4-13
Use props
taz291819
lvl.1

United States

1.  While I don't have the gimbal problem, I've read that those that do can fix it in the Go App.

2.  Yes, there is an issue, I experience it.  Supposedly DJI is looking into it.

3.  Haven't noticed anything with 4K.  I did read about the quality of 1080p120, but I haven't shot in that.
2016-4-13
Use props
DanielMyst777
lvl.2
Flight distance : 145276 ft
United States

I have personally experienced the first two problems on your list with every flight I do. I have had the P4 since launch and have done multiple IMU/gimbal calibrations and all firmware updates successfully.

I REALLY hope DJI can acknowledge the tilted horizon gimbal issue. They have already acknowledged (or stated they intend to dig deeper into) the loss of altitude issue when coming to a stop after moving forward so HOPEFULLY this issue can be solved with a future firmware update. I am hoping the same applies with the gimbal roll issue after they HOPEFULLY acknowledge and I won't have to return my P4.

As with the low resolution, I have only experience low resolution on the DJI GO app when in the camera preview window. The resolution becomes sharper in the video record preview window when switching to that mode in the DJI GO app.

The first two issues you have stated are pretty serious in my opinion and I have my fingers crossed that DJI will fix these in a future firmware update SOON. At least hoping they will acknowledge our pain in dealing with these issues.
2016-4-13
Use props
ArcticM39
lvl.2

United States

I have flown my P4 for a few weeks now.
I am on the latest firmware, and I don't have any of the issues you listed or the much broadcasted range issue (P4 has about same range as my P3A).
The P4 has been a pleasure to fly, with better stability than P3A, better camera, and better speed (flying sport mode is quite an experience!)
I love Active Track and Obstacle Avoidance (already saved my butt a few times).
The only complaint I have is the noise P4 generates in flight. It is considerably louder than my P3A.
2016-4-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It is important to keep this in perspective, many people have the P4 and are not experiencing any of these issues.
2016-4-13
Use props
lvl.1

Canada

Not Sure now
2016-4-13
Use props
wrathofkhan
Banned

Australia

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

wrathofkhan Posted at 2016-4-14 12:44
There may be many people out there with the P 4 that have not experienced  any of these problems T ...

'And still no comment or reassurance from DJI as to how / when these will be rectified'

And you won't get any either, they don't do that.
2016-4-13
Use props
jasonm2
New

United States

I imagine there are lots of people like me who are completely new to drones like what DJI sells, and as a result we're not entirely sure if an issue is with the drone or something we're doing wrong.

Like I've had the drone drop in altitude during active track, and I assumed it was because I didn't have something set correctly. Or that it was normal and I just had to watch out for it. I've had mixed results with the active track, and it certainly didn't help that it kept dropping. It is chasing me on an electric longboard (a boosted board) so it's really at the edge of what it can do both speed wise, and vision wise.

So far I've had a lot of fun with it, but I can't wait till the dropping in altitude is corrected.
2016-4-13
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

We got some reports about these issues and now working on a solution .
2016-4-13
Use props
kirkd1989
lvl.2

United States

I have gone thru 2 4's and now on my 3rd. First one had reallllyyy bad horizon tilt issues, next ones gimbal made a loud screech at start up. This one I have now seems okay.......but we will see. I may just say screw the 4 and get a inspire.
2016-4-15
Use props
robotizen
lvl.2
United States

I can tell you from experience that a system (read 'autonomous' system)  with lots of sensors (stereo point cloud processing cameras, GPS, compass, baro alt, etc. etc),  can take some time to fully debug due to unexpected interactions (maybe a bad IMU or compass calibration), sensor conflicts (baro changing rapidly, compass and/or GPS interference), unknown operational environs (temp, air pressure, RF interference), new hardware (could be a bug or two, or design issue) and how the user commands the system (your mileage may vary).  DJI bit off a big chunk in putting some autonomous capability in a consumer product. IMO. We're on the bleeding edge here (in consumer stuff), so some 'quirks' are inevitable...

Yes, the more serous issue of altitude variation that some people are seeing, certainly  isnt fun,  but in general so far, I don't see anything that some firmware tweaks cant fix.  Taking all this in consideration, I think the P4 works well, however prudence would say, don't push it until you understand its flight characteristics. It is a new aircraft  (look at the gestation of the F35 , yikes ...)  I've been expanding the flight envelope on my P4 more slowly since I want to understand how it responds, and avoid crashes, and I'm pleased with it.  Patience my friends, patience... I bet we see some firmware tweaks soon..
2016-4-15
Use props
projeffrey11
lvl.2

United States

Not mention the  squeaky gimbal noise on start up and now reports of  Microcracks on the legs of the P4.
2016-4-15
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

There is an old adage concering new technology which states that all first users are all beta testers.

Nature of the beast.   As with the P3....these issues will eventually be resolved in later produced Phantom 4s
2016-4-15
Use props
Geebax Posted at 2016-4-14 08:33
It is important to keep this in perspective, many people have the P4 and are not experiencing any of ...

While this may be true, there are MORE THAN ENOUGH people out here experiencing these problems and they definitely need to be addressed.  If this was just one or two people in the forums with an issue, this could be explained away as some sort of manufacturing glitch.  If, however, you have multi-page threads of people voicing complaints, posting videos showing these issues, and posting flight data to bolster their claims, then we should keep THAT in perspective as well.  This is not some "freeware" online program, this is a $1400 INVESTMENT that all of us have made.  With this in mind, even ONE person experiencing these problems is too many.  This should not be relegated to the back burner.  There are FAR TOO MANY of us having multiple problems, and DJI needs to acknowledge these problems, whether it be through a firmware update, or if necessary, through a recall, if it turns out to be a design flaw..
2016-4-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

xjoeyx@satx.rr. Posted at 2016-4-16 09:02
While this may be true, there are MORE THAN ENOUGH people out here experiencing these problems and  ...

What do you want? DJI-Tim has already said in post #11

'We got some reports about these issues and now working on a solution .'

That is as good an admission of responsibility as you will get from any company. It means exactly what it says, they recognise there are problems, and they are working on solutions. It realy does not require any more CAPITALISED comments, give them some room to do what they have said.
2016-4-15
Use props
Geebax Posted at 2016-4-16 07:10
What do you want? DJI-Tim has already said in post #11

'We got some reports about these issues and ...

To answer your question... I want a properly functioning Phantom 4.  That IS what I paid for.                                                                                                                              
Now, settle down, there, Geebax...  My retort was actually brought on by the way YOU seemed to want to minimize the problems that MANY of us are having...  I'm just trying to stress that this IS a serious issue!  Quite frankly, for the amount of money that I spent, I would have thought that I was purchasing a device that had been fully tested BEFORE being released to the public.  Looking at the number of problems being reported, (by LARGE numbers of people) SURELY this should have shown up, as Khan mentioned, during development and testing, and LONG before this device was released to the public ...  Case in point, With the number of reports of the 4' - 8' (or more) drop when returning to hover, I find it almost inconceivable that this was NEVER witnessed during product testing.  Surely you can agree with that...  

Geebax, I did not mean to pick a fight with you, and do not want to argue.  Nor did I mean for this to turn into a one-man tirade.  If you have purchased a Phantom 4, and have no problems with it, then I am sincerely happy for you.  My only request would be for YOU to at least grant me the same sincere concern in regard to the problems that I AM having.  

I was SO excited to FINALLY get a top notch drone with a really great gimbal (after upgrading from a Phantom 2 Vision), and instead of being able to enjoy the moment and all the excitement this should have generated, I was, instead, completely disappointed with an aircraft that doesn't function correctly.  It drops EVERY time I enter a hover (at ANY altitude), and I have a gimbal calibration error, even after a correct and successful IMU calibration.  It's just disappointing...

2016-4-15
Use props
Mike_ellis_18
lvl.2
Flight distance : 44787 ft

United Kingdom

TOTALLY agree with you joey, I'm very close to purchasing a P4 but I've got to say I would be mighty P***ed off if I had spent £1300 on an item that seems to have not been tested correctly, very poor from DJI, and I passing comment from Tim unfortunately isn't good enough, DJI a multi million company should be working round the clock to fix these issues ASAP
2016-4-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

xjoeyx@satx.rr. Posted at 2016-4-16 10:09
To answer your question... I want a properly functioning Phantom 4.  That IS what I paid for.       ...

Some of the largest companies in the world release product before all the bugs have been discovered, nothing unusual about that. They ke thing is whether they do anything about it. DJI have already said they have taken the problems on board and are working on a solution. Any discussion after that is pointless. You complained, they listened, they said they are working on solving it.

Why do you therefore feel the need to rant on further about it, especially yelling in capitals about it?
2016-4-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mike_ellis_18@h Posted at 2016-4-16 10:59
TOTALLY agree with you joey, I'm very close to purchasing a P4 but I've got to say I would be mighty ...

Tim's reply is not good enough for you?  What do you actually want? If this was a Microsoft forum, they would not even bother replying.

'DJI a multi million company should be working round the clock to fix these issues ASAP'

How do you know thewy are not already working around clock on it?

2016-4-15
Use props
Mike_ellis_18
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Who cares about Microsoft?
2016-4-15
Use props
Mike_ellis_18
lvl.2

United Kingdom

And these issue have been on going for a while now and 1 quick post in a mass of complaints doesn't fill me with confidence that they are doing all they can, and if you believe they are then I wish I had your confidence
2016-4-15
Use props
Mike_ellis_18
lvl.2

United Kingdom

You ask "what do you actually want?"
2016-4-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mike_ellis_18@h Posted at 2016-4-16 11:20
And these issue have been on going for a while now and 1 quick post in a mass of complaints doesn't  ...

So you are an expert on how long it takes to identify a problem and write code to correct it?

My point about Microsoft is that far larger companies than DJI never engage with their customers, never provide any comment on what solutions they are working on and never promise a solution. And American companies are the worst at this, because they expect people like you to sue them.

' quick post in a mass of complaints doesn't fill me with confidence that they are doing all they can, and if you believe they are then I wish I had your confidence'

DJI-Tim and Paladin, And Dave and Ken are DJI employees appointed to participate in this forum and try to assist members with their problems. They are official, and whatever they say is usually carefully considered and can be regarded as offical response from DJI. Yes, I have confidence in them, because unlike you, I have been here for some time now and seen the resuilt of issues being raised here then solved.

2016-4-15
Use props
Mike_ellis_18
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I want a product that cost £1300 to work?? Or is that asking to much?? Wouldn't spent 50k on a Audi and be ok with the car pulling to the left or juddering when I brake.... And how you can argue with people voicing options/concerns is ludicrous to be frank!
2016-4-15
Use props
Mike_ellis_18
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Why you are even bringing Microsoft into the argument is irrelevant, I couldn't care about other companies do, what i would be concerned about is what I've spend on an item that has SERIOUS problems, and to state other companies have poor customer service means nothing
2016-4-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mike_ellis_18@h Posted at 2016-4-16 11:36
I want a product that cost £1300 to work?? Or is that asking to much?? Wouldn't spent 50k on a Audi ...

'And how you can argue with people voicing options/concerns is ludicrous to be frank!'

Once they have received an answer it is nothing more than pointless whinging.
You don't even have a Phantom by your own admission, you are still phaffing about over the subject.
2016-4-15
Use props
Mike_ellis_18
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Then don't read on then mate! If you don't want to hear people's whinging jog on, it's really that simple.... But I, a prospective buyer would like to see where this goes and here more from concerned owners
2016-4-15
Use props
Mike_ellis_18
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Sorry to say it, but it seems to me your just arguing for the sake of it....
2016-4-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mike_ellis_18@h Posted at 2016-4-16 11:44
Then don't read on then mate! If you don't want to hear people's whinging jog on, it's really that s ...

Then all you are going to do is drone on here about it and never make a decision anyway. Grow some balls and buy a P4, stop listening to all the hard luck stories on here, there are tens of thousands of P4 owners out there that don't have problems.
2016-4-15
Use props
Mike_ellis_18
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Ok bud, I think I might just have to bite the bullet and go for the P4, listen hope there are no hard feelings, just good forum banter  
2016-4-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mike_ellis_18@h Posted at 2016-4-16 11:50
Ok bud, I think I might just have to bite the bullet and go for the P4, listen hope there are no har ...

No, certainly no hard feelings here. Just remember that a lot of the people who come on this forum do so to report issues they are having. Therefore it is not a good indicator of how good the product is or not. Very few come here to say they bought a drone and have not had any problems. But in case it helps, I am one of them, my P3P has been fantastic, not a whiff of a problem since I got it 6 months ago.

2016-4-15
Use props
Mike_ellis_18
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Ok thanks for the advice
2016-4-15
Use props
mgoyette
lvl.1
Canada

I just bought a p4.... My first drone ever....so i am no expert.....
for the levelling on the gimble i have noticed it right away...hope it will get a fix.....
the loss of altitude when you stop ...not on my unit...it seams ok...i have not tried the sport mode yet
The 4k videos are also stunning on my p4
The only problem i had ...one that scared this newbie to death.....twice when the drone was about 400 to 600 feet away the iphone 6 i use just rebooted itself...tomorrow i will try an iphone 6+... I dont know if it's the phone....the app....but i was real happy to have the go home button...and that it worked fine.

2016-4-15
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mgoyette Posted at 2016-4-16 04:13
I just bought a p4.... My first drone ever....so i am no expert.....
for the levelling on the gimble ...

Good to hear the RTH worked, a scary moment. As you had good sight of the aircraft you could still have flown it home manually using the RC. The devices (IOS or Android) are primarily for display purposes.
2016-4-15
Use props
Maintsuper77
New

Canada

OMG. Think about it.If we wait for all the bugs out of any product before we buy we would have a horse and buggy! We are the testers and that why technology is advancing at this speed. So 2K for a toy thats is not perfect in every way..so what.. my first mariage was not perfect and cost me a whole lot more!
2016-4-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Maintsuper77@ho Posted at 2016-4-16 18:37
OMG. Think about it.If we wait for all the bugs out of any product before we buy we would have a hor ...

'my first mariage was not perfect and cost me a whole lot more!'

Aint' that the truth Brother.....
2016-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules