Phantom 4 IMU 2 will not calibrate Error 71
6746 13 2016-4-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rxe1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Tried this in the Phantom 4 forum, but there is no idea how to resolve, so I'm raising it as a fault.      Can someone from DJI assist with tellimg me how to fix it - I'd realy like to go flying!   I've tried calibrating loads of times, always the same.

----------------

So my new Phantom 4 arrived yesterday.  Charged it up, and have been through the fun of controller and aircraft firmware upgrades - all went pretty smoothly, the upgrades completed and all of the firmware warnings have gone.

I've tried to calibrate the IMU.  IMU 1 calibrates fine.  IMU 2 fails at about 25% with "Error -71".  Any ideas?

Just to be clear, it has never flown, not been crashed etc.

2016-4-14
Use props
rxe1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Bump.

At the moment I have £1200 worth of non-flying plastic which is about to be returned for a full refund under the terms of the EU sale of goods act.
2016-4-14
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Please try to perform cold calibration: get your drone into the fridge for 30 min ( without battery ) take it out and do IMU calibration. If nothing works, please upload your flight data to the Dropbox and sen us a link, we will analyze the problem and do our best to help you out.
2016-4-15
Use props
rxe1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Ok, will try that this evening.
2016-4-15
Use props
rxe1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Well, I absolutely did not expect that to work, but it did.

For anyone else who has the same problem:

- 2 hours in the fridge is not enough
- 12 hours in the fridge is good
-  drone goes in the fridge, 4C, no battery
- remove the next morning,  put the battery in and immediately calibrate.
-  success!

Flying fantastically now, I am amazed by how easy it is to fly, even by a complete amateur.  

2016-4-17
Use props
alexandr.abrame
lvl.1

Russia

The same problem. Error in 45-95% IMU2 failed.
Which logs?) no fly, because IMU is not calibrate.
2016-5-30
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

alexandr.abrame Posted at 2016-5-30 23:42
The same problem. Error in 45-95% IMU2 failed.
Which logs?) no fly, because IMU is not calibrate.

Have you tried letting the unit cool down before performing an IMU calibration? Is the firmware up to date on your aircraft and RC? Are you receiving any additional error messages besides that the IMU calibration failed?
2016-6-2
Use props
Adiuvo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 96841 ft
Chile

rxe1 Posted at 2016-4-17 07:10
Well, I absolutely did not expect that to work, but it did.

For anyone else who has the same proble ...

I'm having this very same problem. I readed here that it is not recommended to put the drone in the fridge because the condensation. When you solved this, did you put the drone inside a bag and then inside the fridge? or without a bag inside the fridge?
Have you ever experienced again this problem? (or a new problem because the condensation if you putted the drone without a bag?)
thanks
2016-9-21
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Adiuvo Posted at 2016-9-21 23:32
I'm having this very same problem. I readed here that it is not recommended to put the drone in th ...

If you can find a cool place to let it sit, that should suffice as well. Have you also tried doing a factory reset via the Assistant 2 software?
2016-9-21
Use props
Adiuvo
lvl.1
Chile

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-9-22 00:19
If you can find a cool place to let it sit, that should suffice as well. Have you also tried doing ...

Thanks for your answer.
We are having pretty hot days here where I live, so I think the fridge is my best option. I will try it with a sealed bag to aviod condensation.
I already tried to downgrade the firmware and the factory reseting, then I tried to calibrate one update at the time, nothing worked. Hope this fridge trick works.
2016-9-22
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Adiuvo Posted at 2016-9-23 04:25
Thanks for your answer.
We are having pretty hot days here where I live, so I think the fridge is  ...

If the issue persists, the next best course of action would to have the unit sent to DJI for service.
2016-9-22
Use props
Adiuvo
lvl.1
Chile

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-9-22 17:30
If the issue persists, the next best course of action would to have the unit sent to DJI for servi ...

Yes, I already spoke with online support about this and they told me that I have to send the unit to the reperation center. The problem with that is that they told me that I am responsible to pay a courier to send it to the US, which is pretty much unfair since that the shippment could cost me 300USD. I know other costumers had the very same problem and DJI charge them like 15USD to pick up the drone in THEIR house to take the unit to the reparation center in US. These costumers live in Chile like me, I dont see why they had different treatment. Its not that easy to send the drone to the reparation center when you live outside the US. Consider that I still have the warranty.

In the other hand, I know that in other cases DJI authorized to some local official dealers to check the unit instead to send it to the US, which would be the best option. But when I told to the tech support guy about this, they dennied that and insisted to send it to the US saying that is the only way to repair it. I really dont understand why the different treatment D:

Its cheaper if I dont use the warranty and I just repair it here with the DJI dealer paying the reparation and replacements. Anyways, I'll try the fridge trick tonight, I'll pray to work
2016-9-23
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Adiuvo Posted at 2016-9-24 02:14
Yes, I already spoke with online support about this and they told me that I have to send the unit  ...

Please keep us posted. Worse case, a local dealer can be a good mediary since you are outside of the US and I understand that shipping can be difficult.
2016-9-23
Use props
fansd3c56ff5
New
New Zealand

have you fixed this?
2018-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules