2749 14 2015-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

This afternoon I was flying my Inspire over the San Francisco Bay along a quiet, park-like setting minding my own business when suddenly I heard a car horn blasting and a woman screaming. I turned around to see what the commotion was, and the woman turned out to be screaming at me, demanding I land that "thing." She said I should know it is illegal to fly that thing, and if I didn't land it immediately she would call the police. Of course, she was behind me and I was turned the other way trying to fly, so I just told her that I wasn't breaking any laws and that she was welcome to do whatever she wanted. She continued to scream at me for some time while I paid attention to "that thing," and she drove off screaming about how I was going to have it taken away from me.

By time she was gone, my battery was largely depleted so I landed, took my time putting everything away in the case and was standing next to my car ready to leave when a police car pulled up next to me. The policewoman inside asked if I had seen anyone flying a drone. I told her that as a matter of fact, I had -- it was me, at least until a screaming, horn-blowing woman interrupted my flight. I explained that I was being cautious, flying over the bay and not doing anything illegal, and she said that the woman had claimed I was causing a distraction. I had to laugh, since it was the woman that was causing the distraction, and the policewoman laughed with me and said, "those drones are pretty cool, I'm thinking of getting one."

Well, I immediately opened my trunk and showed her the Inspire, explained how it worked, showed her the app (including the flight path I'd just flown, proving without a doubt that I had not caused a distraction to anything but some fish), and to make a long story short, I'm pretty sure that policewoman is on DJI's website buying one right now -- albeit probably a Phantom as she was pretty disappointed to learn the price of the Inspire ;-)

Up until that moment I'd had nothing but positive experiences from people seeing me fly my Phantom or Inspire. Usually complete strangers come up to me and ask questions with child-like enthusiasm. I suppose there will always be haters out there, but I'm really hoping that woman never creates any offspring.

I suppose the upside is that I had the honor of educating a law enforcement officer on the fine qualities of flying a drone.

2015-1-14
Use props
mhaislet
lvl.4

United States

Sad how self empowered People think they have the right to enforce their own status quo on others...Makes me sick and you handled it like a pro..
People need to mind their own business is what is the real problem here.. This isnt Russia yet.
2015-1-14
Use props
mlglisson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

LOL similar Here But I wasn't flying any of my DJI products, Rather I have five Syma XC1's - Long story why I have so many (A toy) I use it to practice it is very light, nimble and susceptible to wind gusts which hones my flying skills. I fly this mostly at night after work in a vacant lot near my residence A Police officer drives by and makes a screeching "U turn" and parks facing the wrong way next to where I was flying and said I was "Chasing cars" and scaring people after. I assured him and gave him all my pertinent info he was extremely interested and I explained to him about my P2V='s and The Inspire (Which who knows when will be delivered, but not as anxious as I was even 2 days ago after reading about all the issues IMU, Auto takeoff ect...) And how the GPS and various functions available on those products He took down the info since he wants one I'm sure he went home and went online that night (Mon night) DJI you guys are building a Fan Club.
2015-1-14
Use props
Bkackman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3445020 ft
United States

I really commend you guys on how you defused these situations. I think our attitude in response to situations like these really goes along way to achieving the outcome that you both described (more converts to the hobby) rather than someone calling out for more restrictions on the hobby. I thank you both for being ambassadors!
2015-1-14
Use props
mhaislet
lvl.4

United States

Bkackman Posted at 2015-1-15 13:29
I really commend you guys on how you defused these situations. I think our attitude in response to s ...

Hit it right on the head....
Its those who don't realize you are an ambassador of sorts for this tech that have me worried.
Best to defuse someone's out of control ranting, and misunderstanding with calm logic .

Its great Abe posted this as an example for all to follow!
2015-1-14
Use props
FrostyThe2nd
lvl.2

United States

I'm always paranoid about flying these around people.  By people I mean less than a dozen in a wide open beach.  I'm more comfy in a flying field or out in the desert when no one's around.  That situation when a Connecticut guy was attacked by a pissed off lady for flying his quad last year made me even more cautious.  I'm glad it all ended with the law on your side.
2015-1-14
Use props
mhaislet
lvl.4

United States

Never heard about that, but figure its gonna happen now days. Drones will be shot gown I suspect and I hear yah Frosty I look for that place with least people as possible and cant wait to explore shoot sites this spring and summer like the rest . Just flying this thing constantly in a neighborhood to tick off the neighbors will lead to bad juju eventually for said individual no doubt.

Early hours is the best if you have that shot you must get where people will be present . I refer to these shots as micro bursts.
Fly, shoot, and shut down asap.
2015-1-14
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Abe you are my hero.  Not only did you defuse the situation but you may have produced a new customer.  Bravo my friend, Bravo.
2015-1-14
Use props
lrwskyfilms
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Great effort, the sort of "drone " stories I like to hear.
I think that's a great idea all round to show her the flight path, not just for show but in case of any dispute or someone's different opinion of your flight.

Cheers Mark
2015-1-14
Use props
Audiodan
lvl.1

United States

It's a good story and a happy ending. However, not all cops will be the same and it does make me a bit apprehensive about actually getting out there when I get mine. I envy the wide open spaces I see in some videos. I don't have anything like that around here. We have lots of parks and I have two Shores on the north and south. Seemingly a paradise. And it is, and that's why there's people there all the time. I don't want to fly over people. It is counter productive to furthering this thing of ours in the right direction. I'm actually beginning to see the merits of winter, when the day is great for flying but no one dare come out of hibernation. But summer of course is gonna be part of the picture too. It will just make it tough to feel totally comfortable and just enjoy. Now I often find myself looking at my area in a different way, always considering if a certain spot would be good for flying. I'm flying a bebop for months and it's small and good training out there. But launching the Inspire will be akin to sending up the space shuttle compared, out there amidst the public. I guess we'll see how it goes!
2015-1-14
Use props
FrostyThe2nd
lvl.2

United States

mhaislet@yahoo. Posted at 2015-1-15 14:28
Never heard about that, but figure its gonna happen now days. Drones will be shot gown I suspect and ...

The video is pretty maddening.  I guess lesson here is to stay calm and keep the camera rolling.  Not only will you document non pilot error crashes for warranty purposes, but also any assaults.
2015-1-15
Use props
mhaislet
lvl.4

United States

Wow......Just wow.
So its ok to take photos with a stationary camera and not an aerial drone. That was assault the min she put her hand on his when he grabbed the battery's as Kid did nothing wrong he has right to be at the beach same as everyone else unless its posted. This is self entitlement in its true form and sadly a typical ugly American.

So sad what people see as a possible threat to them and great to have a camera running at all times it seems .
I may put a old flip cam on location on a tripod after seeing this foolishness.
Hope the kid was a minor she would get big jail time for her actions and I hope she did.
What gives people the right to do this to others is beyond me but there's is always a party pooper in the crowd now days.
Poor guy just wanted to fly at the beach and met mid-aged momma mood swing having a bad hair day.

2015-1-15
Use props
Drone Down Unde
lvl.4

Australia

Typical bloody "Do Gooder" Always try ruin it for everyone As long as your not trying too mow anyone down or perve  {:2_37:} on naked Sheila's...What's it too them. :@
2015-1-15
Use props
lrwskyfilms
lvl.2

United Kingdom

FrostyThe2nd Posted at 2015-1-15 16:02
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j2B8MTzNak

The video is pretty maddening.  I guess lesson here i ...

WOW, there are some disturbed people out there.
2015-1-15
Use props
rwt0227
lvl.2

United States

Yes, there are a LOT of crazy people out there. Watching the video led me to a video showing a crazy racist lady in Cheektowaga, NY (near where I grew up) ranting at a guy because he turned his video camera on after she threw a racial slur at him for starting his car. She launches into an unbelievable tirade of racial remarks in front of her two kids who obviously think it's funny because it's not the first time they've heard their mother say something so offensive ( http://goo.gl/YwPxxh )  This makes me really sad. Unfortunately "cheek-ta-vegas" as we call it in western NY is home to some truly trashy people of all colors.

I'd like to point out though what I believe is the problem. The public at large has absolutely no concept of what the law is of video & photos being taken in public. There needs to be a public campaign that essentially tells you:  Everywhere you go in public you have NO REASONABLE RIGHT TO PRIVACY. Exceptions are places you may expect to have privacy such as a public bathroom or dressing room.  A mall, a parking lot, a grocery store, the beach, the park, with kids, without kids, yelling racial slurs, you can legally be filmed or videoed at any time, and carrying on will probably only result in you winding up in either A. Jail  -or  B. On Youtube looking really dumb

The only caveat to this is that places of business can ask you to stop filming or leave since it's private land.

I am glad that most people appear (so far) to not be a prick and push the limits with quad copters by flying them over people anyway just to agitate them. (This will change as the prices come down unfortunately.)
2015-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules