1994 10 2015-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rmaxwell
lvl.4
Flight distance : 698661 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I have received my new Inspire One.  I have updated the firmware when it came out of the box and did about three flights on the first version.  Since I am an experienced R/C helicopter pilot, all flights were controlled manually.  Today, I did the second firmware update and have updated the app twice.  I have done a couple of flights in both GPS mode and ATI mode.  Everything went fine, however, when I flew near a row of tall trees I did lose the GPS signal.  This was no problem since I could take over manually.  Without the GPS signal the machine will not stop quickly as it does in GPS mode.

I want to say as a retired Electronic Engineer with many years flying both full scale and R/C aircraft, that I think the designers did a great job of putting together a well thought out and well integrated end to end system.  The current feature set is great.  I love the machine and look forward to do a lot of fun and work flying in movies and commercials.  My congratulations to the engineers who designed this system.

Now the constructive comments:

1.  This machine is at a Beta state and must be used carefully.  It still needs a lot of testing and feedback and it needs some tweeks here and there.

2.  The documentation  needs a lot of work.

a.  There are many things lost in the translation.  The english writer does not understand how the system works and has many confusing statements.  There are many statements that do not make any sense.

b.  There are items totally missing…here is an example…No where in the manual is the “Enable Multiple Modes” switch explained.  This is an important piece of information.  If you don’t switch this on, the mode switch on the top left of the remote unit does not function. The unit stays in GPS mode as long as it has a signal.  This is only one example.  There are many more.

c.  To correct these problems a professional engineer would bring in a native English speaking person, off of the street, who has never flown anything like this.  He would then ask them to read the documentation and follow all of the instructions and would watch the test person to see if they could get the machine working and flying properly.   This is called “User Testing” of the documentation.  This step has clearly not been performed.  This needs to be done for each language that the documentation is written in.

I love the system and the direction you are working towards, however, there is still a lot of work to do to make this a full functioning and polished professional product.

This is a very abbreviated report of my experience to date.  If you would like a full engineering report, I require some form of compensation.

Good luck and I am willing to work with anyone who wants me to help in this regard.

Ray Maxwell

2015-1-15
Use props
jsmorse
lvl.2

United States

Wow. Someone didn't get many hugs as a kid.
2015-1-15
Use props
maybz
lvl.2

United States

bryansroofing@g Posted at 2015-1-16 13:30
No. Its called he doesnt have common sense, and assumes most users here dont either.

Do either of  you own an inspire 1?
2015-1-15
Use props
jsmorse
lvl.2

United States

I have one and agree the directions are really lacking.
2015-1-15
Use props
kelleyre
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59199 ft
United States

jsmorse@ca.rr.c Posted at 2015-1-16 14:19
I have one and agree the directions are really lacking.

Thats not all thats lacking. Still a lot of work to be done.
Thanks Maxwell for your insight
2015-1-15
Use props
Drone Down Unde
lvl.4

Australia

Some ones been playing "FarCry 4 "The Elephant in the room" bit...Is what an in game radio announcer says  
2015-1-15
Use props
bill
lvl.2
United States

Maxwell,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your post.  I would agree the documentation is lacking, especially for someone relatively new to this level of multi copter.   

Bryan,
Your comments are rude, uncalled for, and unhelpful.   Community forums are intended to help the user community and manufacturer collaboratively.  I would suggest you take a deep breath and reread the forum rules prior to posting.  It would be a shame if you were banned from the community.

"...we will not tolerate rudeness, profanity (or attempts to bypass profanity filters), insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts."

2015-1-16
Use props
slash_nash
lvl.4
Flight distance : 355157 ft
United Kingdom

Documentation Manual.. Agreed the manual should be fully detailed in documentation regarding all features, maybe for those who want, wish or need to read it. . Users shouldn't have to second guess or use their initiative to understand what is meant in the manual.
That is the reason for a owners manual in the first place.
2015-1-16
Use props
maybz
lvl.2

United States

Thank you Bill
I for one an not a noob, currently own almost everything DJI makes, and I have had nothing but frustration and disappointment from this new machine so far.  In addition to the piss-poor documentation (although they sure took plenty of time to make it look pretty)  here are the problems I've experienced:

1. Broken pivot mount on tablet holder
2. Unable to update firmware - I instead get the message "firmware upgrade timeout"
3. Unable to get anyone from DJI tech to follow up with me.

It's the third one that's most annoying
I am an engineer, product designer and biz owner and I have never dealt with a company more unreachable than DJI
2015-1-16
Use props
maybz
lvl.2

United States

one more...
4. Uninstalled the Pikot app to try solve the firmware timeout problem as suggested by others only to find that the pilot app is not available for download now

Dji definitely served wine before it was time on this one.  This is not how you launch a new product - especially at this price point
2015-1-16
Use props
bill
lvl.2
United States

maybz Posted at 2015-1-16 23:15
one more...
4. Uninstalled the Pikot app to try solve the firmware timeout problem as suggested by o ...

I would defiantly agree that there are more issues, at this point after release, than a reasonable person should expect.  I also believe DJI is experiencing this first hand now; as at this point "the cat is out of the bag", so to speak.  Unfortunately, if we are so inclined, it is up to us to make recommendations to DJI where we believe they should do to "fix the issues" (marketing, packaging, documentation, technical bugs, application functionality, etc).  

I believe we can/should make constructive comments without cutting down other members.  Not only that, it is a requirement/accepted terms to our individual participate in this forum.  Don't agree then go somewhere else on your own or the moderators are likely to "help you on your way".

I for one intend to make no further comments on this subject. "Can't we all just get along" ;)
2015-1-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules