Just watched a phantom 3 come crashing down (VIDEO)
1794 14 2016-4-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

an insurance adjuster just came to my house and I was shocked to see them with a drone in tow to check out my roof.   Guy didn't do any pre flight checks.  I saw a prop guard was busted when he took off.  While flying the prop guard took out a propeller.   And the drone was all over the place

As it was in the air drifting away I tried to have him do a CSC but he didn't listen as the drone started going down towards a school.  Down goes the drone out of sight clearly with a broken prop, towards a school, with 3 motors blazing away.  
After he went off blindly looking he came back as I was bringing my p4 in to land after looking for the downed bird.  I showed him how he can review flight logs to find out where the drone went down at.  He was amazed that you are able to do that.    This is why drones get a bad rep.  Stupid people at the controls why have no idea what to do when things go wrong. Don't properly maintain equipment which caused the crash.  And have no idea how to even use the app.   

I got video too!

2016-4-25
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Why does the adjuster not just get a ladder and do a proper assessment of the roof .  I think for him it was just a toy that he could write off for business.  There is a time and a place for these things, unless you had a church style roof with 12/12 pitches, he should have been up and personal with the damage.

No pilot worth his salt would take off with 3 prop guards as well, this was going to put it out of balance and force the gyro to work harder.  
Also No pre flight inspection is another indicator of a dangerous pilot.  

good luck- donnie
2016-4-25
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-4-25 16:08
Why does the adjuster not just get a ladder and do a proper assessment of the roof .  I think for hi ...

i have an old slate roof,   90 years old.   its very brittle.    i used my p3 to take alot of pictures of the damage already.   

i even told the adjuster before he launched he should remove the guards because its not safe.   1 of the 3 rods that screw on was totally missing,   center rod was broken and whole thing was floppy.   small just of wind shook it good enough to fling it up into the prop and that was all she wrote.  

i have been using my p4 to look.  2 new batteries just came today and didn't even charge them yet to condition them.   and my original stock wasn't recharged after flight yesterday.   only got 20 mins of searching in so far.   had to show the guy how to use the app so we could get a general search location

will be uploading the video of the bird in distress tonight and update on the search
2016-4-25
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

here is the video of the adjusters p3p going down because of a broken prop guard.    told him not to fly and i would give him my guards from my p3.    he didn't listen and this is what happens     i know i said CCS  not CSC  either  way he had no idea what it was anyway.   also had no clue you could review flight logs and replay the flights

2016-4-25
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-4-25 16:08
Why does the adjuster not just get a ladder and do a proper assessment of the roof .  I think for hi ...

i saw him take  his drone out of the truck, TOSSED it on the grass and just took off.    no pre-check no compass calibration. nothing.   just went up and started trying to fly.   even after it wacked the prop once a blade went flying off.   and you could hear the buzz of it.    and he still kept trying to fly it.   instead of bring it down into the tree in my front yard he gained altitude and it got caught in the wind,  i heard his controller saying atti mode so it prolly lost all gps on its death spiral and started drifting in the wind.

i took a few pictures and videos and i think i got a glimpse of where it is stuck in the tree.   i will be flying up and out tomorrow again to check where i think i saw it
2016-4-25
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Yeah if it was going towards a school he should have used CSC.

Dave
2016-4-25
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2016-4-26 00:21
Yeah if it was going towards a school he should have used CSC.

after i saw the prop guard i told him he needs to land,   he apparently knew better and didn't want to listen.   and thats when he went up and bird flew away....
2016-4-25
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

I bet you a nickel that the drone belonged to the company he represented and he did not bother to find out anything but how to start the motors.  I know we get people on here all the time that do not inform themselves before flying,  but from the sound of things,  he did not care a bit about the money invested in the drone.  And most owners would be on the forum blaming Dji for the crash immediately afterwards. Insurance salesmen don't make enough, ( I think ) to just flush 1400 bucks down the toilet.  He probably got in hot water at the office. Unless of course, the drone was insured....
2016-4-26
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

quickpoint Posted at 2016-4-25 23:19
i saw him take  his drone out of the truck, TOSSED it on the grass and just took off.    no pre-ch ...

I always do a pre flight inspection.  ONE WAS HASTY - (22 years ago) .... One time at the club field I was rushed and hooked up the Servos on the wings backwards ( Large 1/4 scale  Taylorcraft ) when I took off I normally would bank out to the right with right rudder and right roll for the Aileron ....... oh boy as soon as it went funky I knew what I did, Had a hell of a time to bring it in.  Always do the Pre-flight, now that I am over 50 it is a MUST.  

good Luck on your claim- donnie

2016-4-26
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Lol, they will have to send another loss adjuster to film the crash site. You'll end up with loads of them dotted around your neighbour hood
2016-4-26
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-4-26 19:10
Lol, they will have to send another loss adjuster to film the crash site. You'll end up with loads o ...

looked yesterday for 30 minutes and again today for 50 minutes and took 160 pictures or so of all the trees around where it went down.     the adjuster said when he drove out after the crash he got a signal back and could see green leaves and a roof top.      he didn't bother trying to load the gps to find the drone or pin point it.  
he could have even taken a picture of it and it would have downloaded the low qualty version.   but he didn't do anything  just looked at it, shut his controller off and looked around in trees.  
2016-4-26
Use props
igot2n0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740548 ft
United States

A couple of weeks ago, someone that I know said that they had a roof inspection via drone. The pilot reportedly said that he was the only pilot in the area certified to do drone inspections. Somehow, I am skeptical.
2016-4-27
Use props
igot2n0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740548 ft
United States

A couple of weeks ago, someone that I know said that they had a roof inspection via drone. The pilot reportedly said that he was the only pilot in the area certified to do drone inspections. Somehow, I am skeptical.
2016-4-27
Use props
PJMC-UAV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 66575 ft
Canada

I'm sure that this "insurance adjuster" has all the correct paperwork that authorizes him to utilize a drone for commercial purposes too.
2016-4-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules