Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Not a flyaway - but not in control either
1982 7 2015-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johnmillsnz

New Zealand

I have had 8 months with my PV2+ and a few flights with the Inspire, so while I am not an expert, I have had some experience.  I have never had, or been close to an out-of-control event, and always go through a thorough preflight checklist prior to every flight.

But this evening, after having upgraded the firmware and app, and checking over all the settings in the app, plus a sucessful compass calibration, the Inspire decided to lurch and veer sideways as soon as it took off and was a few metres off the ground.  It behaved the same way the PV2+ does in atti mode in a stiff breeze, but it was locked on (P mode), and there was virtually no wind.

There was no crash or near miss, but the unsettling thing is that I did not choose, or fly it where it ended up.

The event only lasted for a few seconds, and I easily got the Inspire under control and had a nice flight after that.  

Something was up with it, and it needs to be sorted out.  

The feeling of being out-of-control is a hard feeling to forget.  

2015-1-16
Use props
AshInspire1
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I took a flight this afternoon, no wind here today but i had the exact same thing, what it felt like because i nearly ate my heart, it suddenly just banked left and kept going full speed ahead, only for a couple of seconds but felt like the controller was not connected although saying everything was good. So yes something was up with it, first time it happened to me in its 30th flight in the past week.
2015-1-16
Use props
DJI-Zach
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7 ft
China

Hi sir,  Thanks for reporting, we would like to help figure out the cause of this behavior, would you help output the flight log for us  to have a  further analysis? Really appreciate if you could share us information via inspire1@dji.com with your issue details and log.  we will advise the method and update  for you asap.
Thank you!
2015-1-16
Use props
outie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 266926 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have had a few flights since getting my inspire on Tuesday with old firmware and newest firmware.

I had 2 successful flights this afternoon on latest firmware. At night I took it out for another flight. All the sensor values were good so I was ready to take off in auto mode. So after it started taking off, it did not stop and hover. Instead it kept going up and in different direction so I took it higher to avoid hitting things. It didn't just go straight up it was still moving around in other direction so I had to steer it back to my direction. It was going really fast straight and strike a tree and stuck there. I had to get a ladder to retrieve it. One of the props was broken from hitting the tree.

I really don't know what happened. I am novice and it's the first time I experienced it.

I did check the app when this was all happening and the inspire was still in GPS mode for sure. Also I don't know if there's more damage caused. I didn't shut off the motors immediately. It was still trying to spin for 30s or so. The motors were hot when I took it inside.

How do you download the log?

2015-1-16
Use props
s.s.gibbs1
lvl.3

United States

outie Posted at 2015-1-17 11:19
I have had a few flights since getting my inspire on Tuesday with old firmware and newest firmware.  ...

had you done the imi calibration before that flight?
2015-1-16
Use props
outie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 266926 ft
  • >>>
United States

s.s.gibbs1@gmai Posted at 2015-1-17 14:13
had you done the imi calibration before that flight?

No, the mod value was 1.00 when I did the sensor checks.

The new firmware/app does not let you auto-take off if imu value needs calibrated.
2015-1-16
Use props
DJI-Dboy
lvl.4

China

For the drifting issue, put the drone on a flat ground and try to calibrate IMU first to check whether that would work.
2015-1-17
Use props
johnmillsnz.ema

New Zealand

I got brave enough to try another flight (still waiting to hear back from DJI about the flight log they requested from me).  Checked and recalibrate the imu with 0.9.2 iOS app.
In anticipation of the possibility of drift/surge/sideways lunge, I took off from an open field.
The aircraft lifted off perfectly, then at a few metres altitude it decided to drift away, as though it was being carried by the breeze.  Was easy to control and bring back, but definitely not a planned excursion.  After perhaps 15 or 20 seconds of 'manual' control - it settled down and became 'normal' - the rest of the flight was perfect.

I won't be taking off close to any structure, but also won't stop flying unless there is a request from DJI to do so.
2015-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules