Signal issues on my Phantom 3 Advanced (#288269)
1644 3 2016-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gtokarsk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Hi!

I have experienced quite a few signal issues. Mind you I am in a city, but I just did not expect that much interfrence.

When I flew in my home area, I have seen signal be really bad - even though I was definitely within the line of sight, pretty much above my location. Then I took the aircraft to fly at various locations, and experienced signal loss and handful of times, for example once at nearing 2000ft, and at 600ft (so quite inconsistent).
Finally I decided to go to the HD screen in the Go app, and got a video of the signal stats (motors off) while I left the radio stationary, and walked around the house with the aircraft, then played at the table with antennae positions - just to see what happens.
- it's 2 minutes or a video that has been speed up a bit.. Hope this is useful data.

I also attach screen shots of some of my other flights where I noticed issues. If neede I can either provide links to a HelathyDrone shares, or upload the logs..
Either way, as much as I understand that signal issues are common and hard to troubleshoot, I am very interested to establish if I have an issue or what I am experiencing is normal for this environment.

One of the reasons I went with DJI vs another unit, is that from the specs it looked like it can manage significantly more distance, this was also the driving force for Advanced vs standard, to get the lightbridge and all of that good stuff that should allow for better quality and better range.
I am not dissapointed, but certainly hoped for a little better....

I am looking forward to see what you guys think, and would certainly do any procedures or testing I am asked to do. I did rebind the transmitter once more, just to make sure things are as happy as possible.

Thx!

GT

good signal

good signal

a bit of a problem

a bit of a problem

really bad, after firmware upgrade maybe?

really bad, after firmware upgrade maybe?

2 areas where signal was lost

2 areas where signal was lost

Again pretty bad

Again pretty bad

Nice

Nice
2016-4-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Honestly, walking around the house you had great signal and so great that it just stayed on channel 20 so I'm not sure what that test was meant for.
As far as outside, you are flying over your neighborhood and I'm sure every house has a 2.4 WiFi service and you are going to get tons of interference.
Even in the field you flew in there's still tons of houses around.
Take it to a LARGE open area, watch this video on antenna orientation and then see the range you get.

2016-4-27
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
United States

I may simply not know how to read that screen, so the fact that the green lines are so short, does not concern you? I would expect t6he green ones to go way further up.  I am aware of how to position the antenae, actually watched this tutorial before...
So if I am concerned about a specific flight where in same area the signal suddenly sucked, is there any data in the flight logs that would be useful to see what happened?

GT
2016-4-27
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
United States

OK, so things learned -
the HD menu/status in DJI GO app is only for FPV, it does not really show you how your signal is doing, according to DJI; so the exercise and the video I took was NOT useful.
Other than that, troubleshooting signal issues is just trail and error, perhaps running more or less the same route number of times, and observing natural and other events (weather conditions, people running things near by.. so on)...
What is strange, is that it would seem that DJI did actually generate an RMA for me, so now I will have to read up on the process and see if I want to send my P3 to them. In the meantime I am going to run a few more range tests, if the weather cooperates within the next few days......
2016-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules