Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
All osmo lose footage!!!!! Useless
12Next >
5706 65 2016-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ProDroneUk
lvl.1

United Kingdom

[size=40.8106px]I purchased my osmo a couple of weeks ago and think it is a great piece of kit however i bought this tool in order to shoot 4k video upto an hour..Instead what happens is the osmo creates a new file on the sd card every 9minutes 19 seconds during this process I lose 1.8 seconds worth of footage so roughly over an hour losing 12 seconds footage.

[size=40.8106px]This happens in all video qualities at different times. As soon as the file reaches 4.2GB in size you lose 1.8 seconds whilst it creates the next file.

[size=40.8106px]This is rediculous.

[size=40.8106px]This item is useless for a continuous shot.

[size=40.8106px]EXTREMELY DISAPOINTING

[size=40.8106px]Do not buy the dji osmo if you need video longer than 9 minutes 19 seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2016-4-28
Use props
Moshe.mmm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1320098 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is very disappointing...
2016-4-28
Use props
Moshe.mmm
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Are you sure it happens every 9 minutes in all resolutions? Isn't it give you a possibility for a bigger file when not shooting at 4k?
2016-4-28
Use props
BayArea99
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197336 ft
United States

Have you tried to format your SD card with exFAT format instead of FAT32 format. FAT32 allows only 4GB file size but exFAT is 16 EB.
2016-4-28
Use props
ProDroneUk
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Sd card is ex fat and 1080p is the same problem but after 20 minutes... Loses footage no matter what format.
2016-4-29
Use props
ProDroneUk
lvl.1

United Kingdom

The problem seems to be coming from dji firmware
2016-4-29
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

This problem has already been  recognised and was reported about 6 weeks ago when the latest firmware was issued.

As you say, every 9 minutes-or-so the Osmo creates a new file and -- as the transition is not seamless -- you lose 1sec 20 frames (4k uhd, 25fps) at that point.

Hopefully, dji are working on this one for a future firmware release.

In practice, it's really only going to inconvenience anyone who needs to run the Osmo with an uninterrupted clip longer than 9 minutes.

Personally I don't find this a problem -- but others might do ........ depends on your needs.

2016-4-29
Use props
doudas
lvl.2
Germany

LenMiddx Posted at 2016-4-29 13:16
This problem has already been  recognised and was reported about 6 weeks ago when the latest firmwar ...

Good to know. Thanks.
2016-4-29
Use props
ProDroneUk
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Do we know when this will be released?  I can't find an official response from dji anywhere
2016-4-29
Use props
ProDroneUk
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I think dji are misselling the osmo in the UK stating that it records for one hour when it just doesnt
2016-4-29
Use props
Moshe.mmm
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hi Adele, can you please address this problem and transfer it to your engineers? This is a serious issues and it's very necessary to be solved. It's not a luxury option to have. It is crucial...
2016-4-30
Use props
ProDroneUk
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Particularly crucial as DJI advertise that it records for one hour plus when it just doesnt! moshe.mmm do you work for Dji? You seem to know the engineers
2016-5-1
Use props
ProDroneUk
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I would like to know how Dji are going to compensate those of us who have purchased this as a professional tool only to receive sub standard Unfit For purpose problems.it is not acceptable that you just fix this problem I want compensating for Dji misselling a product to me - this is against the law in the UK... In case you didn't realise. I want answers now or I will send my findings to trading standards in the UK.
2016-5-1
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello!
The issue mentioned above does have some businesses with the SD card format. For a SD card with the capacity of less then 32GB, please format it as FAT32 file system. Otherwise, please format it as exFax file system. As you may know, there is a 4GB file size limitation for the FAT32 file system.
Our engineers are well acknowledged about the lost footage because of the file storage system, if possible, I believe our engineers will try to improve it to the most.
For a more professional use, I would recommend using our Osmo Pro & Osmo Raw. Please visit our official website for more detail information:
ZENMUSE X SERIES CAMERAS COMPARISON: http://www.dji.com/products/compare-xcamera
ZENMUSE X5s: http://www.dji.com/product/zenmuse-x5s
OSMO PRO&RAW firmware download link: http://www.dji.com/product/osmo/info#downloads
2016-5-1
Use props
ProDroneUk
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Adele you clearly do not know what you aretalking about ifyou read this thread you would see that I have already formatted to exfat and the problem persists
2016-5-2
Use props
ProDroneUk
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Can I also say that this issue happens with the osmo pro too... It's all osmos they lose footage they do not record lile you say they do. If you believe it's the sd card prove it I want to see your footage matching up cos it just won't
2016-5-2
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

China

ProDroneUk Posted at 2016-5-2 18:06
Adele you clearly do not know what you aretalking about ifyou read this thread you would see that I  ...

Sorry about the problem!
Could you please tell me the capacity of your SD card?
We would recommend formatting the SD card in the DJI GO App.
2016-5-2
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-3 03:21
Sorry about the problem!
Could you please tell me the capacity of your SD card?
We would recommen ...

Hello, Adela.

It's not a problem with SD cards, but an inherent problem with the Osmo, when trying to record a clip longer than approx. 9 minutes.

Here's an example:

The test was run for just over 10 minutes, ensuring that the recording continued through the change from one file to the next.

Note the top image is the last frame in the first file (00:9:19:14), and the bottom image is the first frame of the next file (00:9:21:06), showing that you lose just over a second of recording between file changes.

(SD card exFat and formatted in the Osmo, 4K UHD @ 25fps.)

It's not a problem for most of us, I'd suggest, but obviously a problem for some people.

(This is the same problem that was reported when the last version of the firmware was issued.)

2016-5-3
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

LenMiddx Posted at 2016-5-3 16:41
Hello, Adela.

It's not a problem with SD cards, but an inherent problem with the Osmo, when trying ...

Hello!
True. It's a reported issue.
Considering that any damage of the video may cause big problem in a big file, for sake of safety, the file size is also limited  to 4GB by the inner component of the camera.
Thanks for your feedback!
2016-5-3
Use props
jeffmoltenberry
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-1 22:14
Hello!
The issue mentioned above does have some businesses with the SD card format. For a SD card wi ...

Adela, if i format to exFAT i get a warning in the DJI Go app interface saying it suggests changing format. Why do you suggest something the app recommends changing? Or when will the DJI Go app be updated to accept exFAT like you're suggesting?
2016-5-3
Use props
jeffmoltenberry
lvl.2

United States

LenMiddx Posted at 2016-5-3 03:41
Hello, Adela.

It's not a problem with SD cards, but an inherent problem with the Osmo, when trying ...

Thanks for this. For the most part, I like DJI products, but sometimes feel they don't state all the facts  and/or exaggerate some. Only find out limitations after you purchase.
2016-5-3
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

China

jeffmoltenberry Posted at 2016-5-3 21:21
Thanks for this. For the most part, I like DJI products, but sometimes feel they don't state all t ...

Hi,
Before the purchasing, please also feel free to ask any question about our products, our relevant coworkers would answer your concern anytime.
As you can find here, we're not gonna state any fake information.

Be happy with your next purchasing.
2016-5-3
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

China

jeffmoltenberry Posted at 2016-5-3 21:16
Adela, if i format to exFAT i get a warning in the DJI Go app interface saying it suggests changing ...

Hi, again
If you format the SD card as exFAT in your PC, please set the cluster as 128KB. Otherwise, the DJI GO App would recommend to format it again.
2016-5-3
Use props
jeffmoltenberry
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-3 23:08
Hi, again
If you format the SD card as exFAT in your PC, please set the cluster as 128KB. Otherwis ...

Thanks I'll try this.
2016-5-4
Use props
Moshe.mmm
lvl.4
  • >>>
Israel

Hi Adele,  will it be able to update the firmware of the osmo to record in ntfs file system instead of fat or exfat?  I think it is very important to do because 9 or 20 minutes are sometimes nor enough at all for some production. I believe the engineers can come up with a solution for longer continues recording. I'll be happy to hear what you have to say about it..  
2016-5-4
Use props
wto6071
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

BayArea99 Posted at 2016-4-29 09:45
Have you tried to format your SD card with exFAT format instead of FAT32 format. FAT32 allows only 4 ...

Excuse me for asking, how can  I format  the SD card in exFAT, or FAT32??
I am using a MAC.
Is it done in the DJI GO app????
I noticed when I opened the DJI GO app,  in the format section, when I chose to format , it did not show anything about exFAT or FAT32, it just formatted the SD card. ( but very very quick, only took less a second to do).
Thanks for advising.
2016-5-4
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

China

Moshe.mmm Posted at 2016-5-5 05:43
Hi Adele,  will it be able to update the firmware of the osmo to record in ntfs file system instead  ...

Hi,
NTFS is ideal for internal drives, it's usually used to the Windows system drive and other internal drives that will just be used with Windows.
Like NTFS, exFAT has very large file size and partition size limits. Well, our Osmo is compatible with the exFAT file system actually. When you format the SD card into exFAT format, it shouldn't have the 4GB file size limitation, however, the inner sensor or some relevant chips in the camera are not allowed to save a files that exceeds 4GB, so the issue is not the file system but the mechanical limitation of the hardware.

If there's any update on this issue, we'll keep you informed immediately.
Thanks for  your concern!
2016-5-4
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

China

wto6071@bigpond Posted at 2016-5-5 06:17
Excuse me for asking, how can  I format  the SD card in exFAT, or FAT32??
I am using a MAC.
Is it  ...

Hello!
You can format your SD card either in your PC or in the DJI GO App, but the DJI GO App would be recommended.
In the DJI GO App, if your SD card is 32GB or less, it will be formatted as FAT32, otherwise, it will be formatted as exFAT automatically.
If you format your SD card in your PC, please also comply with above principle to format the card.
2016-5-4
Use props
wto6071
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks Adela for the nicely explained way of format. Appreciated your good work.
2016-5-4
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

wto6071@bigpond Posted at 2016-5-5 11:48
Thanks Adela for the nicely explained way of format. Appreciated your good work.

You're welcome!
Thanks for your support!
2016-5-4
Use props
Moshe.mmm
lvl.4
  • >>>
Israel

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-5 06:00
Hi,
NTFS is ideal for internal drives, it's usually used to the Windows system drive and other int ...

I understand.
Do you think it could be fixed by software change or it has to have a different hardware?
Can you check that info for me?
If I'll have a definitive answer on that I could understand if to have hope for a fix or to accept the disadvantage and be careful what production I'm taking the osmo to.
Thanks for your detailed responses.
Moshe.
2016-5-5
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

China

Moshe.mmm Posted at 2016-5-6 09:45
I understand.
Do you think it could be fixed by software change or it has to have a different har ...

I can understand what you're concerning about, but I'm afraid I can't give you a definitive answer right now.
IMHO, it might not happen in the near future either it could be fixed by software programming or by improving the hardware properties, and I think the improvement would involve both the software and the hardware.Our engineers would consider this issue based on the future demanding and development.
Thanks for your understanding!
2016-5-5
Use props
Moshe.mmm
lvl.4
  • >>>
Israel

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-6 05:38
I can understand what you're concerning about, but I'm afraid I can't give you a definitive answer  ...

OK.
THANKS..
2016-5-7
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-5 07:00
Hi,
NTFS is ideal for internal drives, it's usually used to the Windows system drive and other int ...

Adela,
The limitation you're talking about is not mechanical as there're no moving parts when saving data on SD cards. This firmware design is the real cause for gaps between recordings. Many of us here are well versed in this field and understand perfectly how storage partitioning and formatting works. We are not demanding DJI to come up with a solution to limitations of the storage used, but instead to re-design the firmware implementation to allow saving multiple files WITHOUT gaps between them. Long time ago there was no multi-tasking / multi-threading in the computing world. Each task performed needed to be completed / terminated before a new one could start. It wasn't a hardware limitation, but a rudimentary and bad design. Later a solution was found which allowed parallel tasks to be executed. In a similar way, DJI engineers can continuously write footage data to storage by switching from one file to another when reaching the file size limit, while in parallel flush and write file headers to the video file that got "filled up" with data. I hope my feedback is clear as crystal.
Best regards,
Bogdan
2016-5-7
Use props
mlu_penguin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1812192 ft
  • >>>
Australia

bornish@gmail.c Posted at 2016-5-8 14:06
Adela,
The limitation you're talking about is not mechanical as there're no moving parts when savi ...

Completely out of my area of expertise here but I seem to remember that this limitation is put in place by some international law.  If your camera records video over 4GB it is then classified as 'professional' movie equipment and attracts a significant increase in tax/excise.  Most consumer video equipment products have this limit to keep the price down.  

Now it may be that some products have a seamless change from one file to another - my GoPro does - and there is an issue with the Osmo - but I believe the basic issue of file size is the originating issue.
2016-5-8
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

mlu_penguin Posted at 2016-5-8 11:45
Completely out of my area of expertise here but I seem to remember that this limitation is put in  ...

What you're probably thinking about is the limitation on "still" cameras to less than 30 minutes of continuous video recording, otherwise when importing into European Union countries they would be classed as  video cameras and attract a higher import tax.

In this case, the issue is a loss of recording time when the Osmo has written one file and needs to open up another. The file size has a maximum of just over 4MB, and so the switch-over is roughly every 9 minutes at 4K, losing 1-2 seconds of recording.

Whether it can be fixed depends on whether the hardware can support a seamless transition. Adela didn't sound too optimistic.

I rarely have a clip that exceeds 2-3 minutes, so it's not going to worry me, and if I want to interview somebody at length, I'd use a standard video camera.

However, clearly there are folks for whom the (undocumented) limit is a real problem.
2016-5-8
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

bornish@gmail.c Posted at 2016-5-8 12:36
Adela,
The limitation you're talking about is not mechanical as there're no moving parts when savi ...

Hi, Bogdan
Thanks for your professional feedback!
As far as I've learnt, I believe the "computing world" you just explained.
Our engineers will take a thorough consideration on this issue.

Best regards!
DJI-Adela
2016-5-8
Use props
contact
New

France

Hi, any news about that problem ? I paid a VIP a thousand dollars for an interview which lasted 20 minutes and the footage is still missing more that one second. I have no way to correct things because if I cut on sentence, you can't understand the rest of the discussion. No other device has this kind of problems. I have a Canon 700d camera and when a new file is created, there NO LOSS... I'm highly disappointed and angry because I've invested a lot in that interview and I was trusting the OSMO... There no firmware upgrade for a long time. Did DJI forget about their OSMO clients ? There are regular upgrades for the PRO and RAW, but not for the Osmo...
2016-9-9
Use props
Seppia
lvl.1

Hello

We bought six Osmo for a multi-camera TV show recording (cooking show)
After wasting hours preparing the edit, I'm very disappointed.

Even with freshly-formatted exFAT microSD cards, the clips still cuts at 4 GB, and there's footage lost between the two supposedly continuous files.
Based on my later test (filming a digital clock's for the whole 29 minutes, and putting the clips on an editing software's timeline) it's skipping a certain number of frame, between 69 and 77 frames in 1080p50. Yes, the number of missing frames is varying, so I can't even know for sure how long is the "gap" I have to fill with black to keep my cameras in sync.
Based on my tests, this issue doesn't change its behaviour wether the container is MOV or MP4 (makes me wonder why even letting the user choose between .MOV and .MP4, as the results and limitations are strictly equivalent).

Please don't say that it's an isolated issue, I've tested on two different Osmo (with different microSD cards) and have the same behaviour
Please don't say that it's because of the microSD cards : they are brand new, good Transcend 64 GB, exFAT formatted in the Osmo (via DJI Mobile app).
Please don't say that it's for historical reasons, for tax reasons or whatever : neither this 4GB clip (with losing footage) limitation nor the less-than-30-minutes recording limitations are to be found anywhere in the user guide or on DJI's website.

And just for the record, the GoPro have neither of those two issues : yes GoPro also cut clips at 4GB, but the clips can be merged (with ffmpeg for example) without lost footage in between. And GoPro can record for much more than 30 minutes without automatically stopping the recording.

Bottom line is : with the current state of the product and of the current firmware version, don't make the same mistake I made. Don't buy and use Osmo if you need to record continuously for more than 4 GB (duration depending on the bitrate, definition and framerate).
Especially not for multi-camera shooting (integrated microphone audio recording quality is so bad that even with an audio clap, PluralEyes gets confused).

That's a shame, some of the other Osmo features are great (stabilisation is really cool, hand and joystick, and the mobile app allows a lots of remote controls on the camera and on the gimbal).
2016-9-17
Use props
Moshe.mmm
lvl.4
  • >>>
Israel

Seppia Posted at 2016-9-18 01:51
Hello

We bought six Osmo for a multi-camera TV show recording (cooking show)

you are so right.
this is a real shame. one of the biggest downsides of the osmo.
I was supprised to read that the go pro dosent lose footage in between the files.
2016-9-18
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules