7116 157 2016-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ryanlam115
lvl.4
Flight distance : 341355 ft
  • >>>
Canada

EDIT**I have not been able to post new threads for some reason..
Here is the video :

Firmware: 1.5.70
-----------------
Video Timeline:
6:34 - Take off
9:50 -testing RTH on controller by flicking S1 switch 4-5 times up and down.
11:50 - Set Current position, Aircraft sets Home point over 500 m away and beings to drift. RTH initiated, cancelled RTH, Atti mode, Aircraft keeps drifting. And flips soft landing on grass.
14:10 - Second attempt, and same thing happens. Atti mode, this time trying to regain control, the aircraft goes and does not come back.
14:40 - x:x Aircraft is on its own. - lost signal, I cut video until I regained signal.
15:17 - signal regained, RTH or low battery beeping on RC I try to land the Aircraft, holding back on coming traffic, trying to be careful not to be hit by a car.
16:17 - aircraft landed and retrieved.
onwards: thoughts and comments.

MORE INFO IN VIDEO DESCRIPTION.

Original Post*******:
THIS IS THE PHANTOM STANDARD. There are differences between standard and adv/pro versions. - NOTE.
this time, I was still able to get it back and land softly onto grass.  but I risked my life trying to get it.
Will upload a video of the whole thing sometime soon..
But this is crazy. I had to drive onto the major intersection merge to Highway/ Freeway .

I use Andriod. I calibrated everything, IMU, COMPASS, batteries, RC fully charged.
Over 12 satillites.

When I select : "SET CURRENT POSITION AS HOME"
the drone sets a NEW HOME 500 M away from where it is CURRENTLY. and initiates RTH.

THIS TIME I SWITCHED TO ATTI Mode.
And guess what? It did nothing! Atti Mode gave no control.

I had a hat cam recording the whole thing so I will upload what happened and you guys help judge.

This time, it really could have just landed in the middle of a road.
DJI must do something to compensate.

Again, I was not relying on RTH. I selected "SET CURRENT POSITION AS HOME" and the drone does something different thatn what it was told.

In the mean time, here is the log from healthy drones
http://healthydrones.com/main?share=IZJYlu

2016-5-7
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

Something is seriously wrong with your p3.   second time this happened!   i would not fly it untill toy get it repaired or a new one.     something is wrong big time inside your bird and someone is going to get hurt because of it!.   it can easliy pick a random home point that in the middle of a road and while landing find its way thru someones windshield.     you really need to open a support ticket and keep posting on here.   hopefully dji-ken catches wind of this,   he gets things DONE!
2016-5-7
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

quickpoint Posted at 2016-5-7 12:27
Something is seriously wrong with your p3.   second time this happened!   i would not fly it untill  ...

Finally, some support and helpful comments rather than opposing and condemning comments .

I really tried to follow the safety procedures , I calibrated everything. E.V.E.R..Y.T.H.I.N.G.
and this happens. for the (second) THIRD time.

I'll try to compose a video of the whole thing with the flight records . sighh
DJI needs to do something about this, I can not keep risking my life or putting other people's lives in potential danger by flying something that can just set it's home point randomly over 500 m off and then start heading over by itself without any control on my end of things. it's crazy and scary!
thank you for your comment.
2016-5-7
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-5-7 12:32
Finally, some support and helpful comments rather than opposing and condemning comments .

I real ...

i was on your first fly away thread with the home point recording itself.   

first time it looks like wind but that is dismissed due to irrelevance because the homepoint was changed inflight, and wind would have been at least effected,  which didn't happen because the drone had a mind of its own.   i would retire your bird to a box for dji.    they really need to take interest in this.   there is someting really wrong happening with your drone, and unless your doing some really crazy stuff with modded firmware(which i highly doubt) or something the p3 is broken in some sense.  
2016-5-7
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

quickpoint Posted at 2016-5-7 12:40
i was on your first fly away thread with the home point recording itself.   

first time it looks  ...

Thank you for the follow and support since the first post!

sigh.
No, everything I use is DJI , except my phone- Android.

The bird flies fine and great. Unless I select "Set current position as home" on the APP. then, this craziness happens. I know it can't be wind. I have tested this drone in 28 MPH winds and it can still fly very stable- of course battery gets drained faster but other than that, it performs fine.
I was flying with 9mph winds May 6th, this second time. sigh
2016-5-7
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-5-7 12:44

sigh.

its not the winds.   wind would have been effected by your inputs from rc,   the drone seemed like it was not executing any commands from the rc.  on either of the 2 crazy flights.  

change title of the post.  start it with "Help DJI_ken"   will make things all better!
2016-5-7
Use props
kb.oregon
lvl.1

United States

Are you using an Android device with onboard GPS as your control device? Because if not, then I can see where the drone would get confused, since your "current position" would be unavailable to it.

In the software, I believe you have to check off: "Enable multiple flight modes", or ATTi will not engage.

2016-5-7
Use props
dkruseski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 791184 ft
United States

That is one fubar flight. Good luck man, hope things get straightened out.
2016-5-7
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 211604 ft

Get rid of the max distance setting. This happened to me with P4, see my thread and logs about it. Very similar. When did the other events happen?
2016-5-7
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

"THIS TIME I SWITCHED TO ATTI Mode.
And guess what? It did nothing! Atti Mode gave no control."

Just one thing about that (not to take away from your original points of it doing a RTH when you set the home point):  If it is indeed doing a RTH, switching to ATTI is not going to give you control. It's still RTH mode. In fact, I wouldn't just switch it right to ATTI during an RTH.

First thing is to cancel the RTH, then just fly it, whether it's in ATTI mode or not.

Why it did an RTH when you set HP is still a mystery.
2016-5-7
Use props
TJ10
lvl.2

Canada

sigh.

Sounds like it could be your phone or the drone. Is your phones settings all set up? data enabled? allow location? multiple flight modes?
I have never tried to reset the home point to current position. I always just leave it to where it was when it takes off. Just makes things more complicated, as it could be something to do with your phone or your drone. Atleast with initial homepoint set, it is set in the drone and not the controller.
2016-5-7
Use props
PhanFran
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

It seems that there is a malfunction when you set a maximum distance and then change the homepoint. In your flight records I see that you were very low and 0 m away from your original homepoint when you set your new homepoint. That means tha  you set the same homepoint as before (because the records show that you were just 1.9 m above your original homepoint). Immediately after that you get the warning that you are beyond your maximum distance setting and RTH is initiated.

So, is it the combination of setting a maximum distance and re-defining your homepoint that seems to start the bug.
2016-5-7
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

PhanFran Posted at 2016-5-7 17:18
It seems that there is a malfunction when you set a maximum distance and then change the homepoint.  ...

So i was too close to ground. And not far enough from initial take off point. And so the drone set the home to 500m away and started rth.  Did i get your analysis?
2016-5-7
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

And because I set a max distance..^
2016-5-7
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 211604 ft
United Kingdom

You were lucky in a way, it set my new home point to 2000m away! Disable distance limit and only reset home point of absolutely need to once in the air. There should be checks for these situations though so it is a bug.
2016-5-7
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

OK, I just went through your entire HealthyDrones file. If you go to your warnings, you need to take OFF maximum distance AND raise the maximum altitude. If you look at your warnings, you can see exactly what happened and why it didn't work returning to you. Once you got over that grouping of houses right before the highway, naturally your signal cut out because of all the interference the houses caused. That is why your ATTI mode did not work. You had no signal. You had "Very Poor" Signal, with a score of 31.6 out of 100. All of these will contribute to your situation. Quit trying weird stuff! ;)
edit** Not a Speck of is actually right as well. You'd have to cancel RTH first.
2016-5-8
Use props
PhanFran
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-5-8 00:49
So i was too close to ground. And not far enough from initial take off point. And so the drone set ...

You didn't do anyrthing wrong. Probably thaere is a bufg in the firmware that sets a home point far away when you set a new homepoint and are not very far drom your original homepoint (less than 20 m ?) AND there is a maximum distance set.

In your case it might even be that setting the new homepoint to the same place as the earlier homepoint makes the firmware think it has to do a complete tour of the world (to get back to the same place) and then , indespair, sets the new homepoint to the distance you have set in your 'maximum distance'....
2016-5-8
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-5-8 07:34
OK, I just went through your entire HealthyDrones file. If you go to your warnings, you need to take ...

howdy fated,  if you watch the replay, none of his inputs had ANY effect over the drone at all!  never changed speed or direction at all.   also if he wasn't setting the home point properly or max distance i still think this is a major bug that needs to be addressed because what is going on is very dangerous.   

on a side note this was the SECOND time this happened.  if you look at this first time it happened, a homepoint was set COMPLETELY AT RANDOM.  im doubting it is a software issue, and if it is this needs to be addressed ASAP.  im more betting on this is a isolated problem with his drone.

Im really hoping ken get in here soon and checks this out,  
2016-5-8
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

quickpoint Posted at 2016-5-8 08:57
howdy fated,  if you watch the replay, none of his inputs had ANY effect over the drone at all!  n ...

Oh i'm not doubting that the home point changed by itself. There have been several instances of this in the past 3 days. I was just trying to see anything obvious that might have hindered his flight, which his very poor signal might have explained why his throttle was not reacting...he had lost connection.
2016-5-8
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I own 4 different DJI drones and have been having strange occurrences with each one since I upgraded to the newest firmwares and app updates, nothing major just definitely different.
2016-5-8
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-5-8 09:07
Oh i'm not doubting that the home point changed by itself. There have been several instances of th ...

even with weak signal or disconnected it shouldn't reset the home point.   the first time this happened he was flying around 8-9 meters when the home point was changed a block and a half away.   no rhyme or reason in it.     

i personally cant see how the home points are changing, and how the drone is not responding to inputs no matter how the operator is flying.   during the second problem with flying away, even if he had weak signal the drone should have stopped in its tracks.  then when the drone wasn't responding at all was when he switched to atti mode and still had zero control.  

what ever is going on here had nothing to do with pilot input at all.  if it is being caused by pilot error what ever the error is needs to be corrected and should be more wide spread.   im thinking because this issue isn't wide spread its a problem with this drone specifically.  

he is flying a little aggressive and "interesting" with the controls, but many MANY "newbs" fly in way more erratic, bizarre and just plain idiotic ways!  no one else is having this problem.   i really have no idea how its possible flying in any way would or could change the home point.
2016-5-8
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

sigh.

im gonna do a few flights today and see if i can replicate this issue.    gonna set mad distance and rth, stop and try to do everything you did on first and second funky flights.      if mine starts flying away ill  do all i can to recover it but will CSC if it gets further that i feel is safe if i get this issue to happen.   then upload my logs to check wtf happened.   I highly doubt this is a software bug but more of a hardware issue internally in the drone.   
2016-5-8
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-5-8 07:34
OK, I just went through your entire HealthyDrones file. If you go to your warnings, you need to take ...

If i cancel max altitude, and distance then the phantom could potentially exceed Transport Canada (the .. I guess "authority" rrsponsible for giving guidelines for uavs) recommended restrictions of altitude and to only fly eithin Vlos I am trying to follow the rules, not break them! Lol. .

I was re watching my recording, so, during the flight, i tried rth. It came back no problem. I cancelled when it was 2 meters off the ground. Flew it about 10 meters away , and hit on the App, "set current position as home point". And it starts to drift fast, away from me. So i bring it down and it flips because it was only 1 ft off the ground. Grass, soft landing, not a crash.
Then i take off again after helping it back on its feet.
This time, i did not move. I did not! Move out of the take off position and selected, " set current positon as home point" on the App. And it intiated rth. ... Shouldnt the drone just record the home point? Rather than set a new home and  initiate rth ???

Before i reached the group of houses i switched to atti mode but the drone was flying fast away from where i was. No, i would say your analysis is a bit off, because even though it says weak or no signal, i was still able to control the yaw of the drone as well as ascend and decend because i still had visual line of sight. I do not rely on my video feed like other beginner flyers out there. Good thing it did not fly further out above the highway. I have flown in this area before, up to 200m out distance and the drone responds fine. The numbers you pulled out from the healhydrones records only go so low after i hit "set current positon". Based on the app, it says selecting the option will set the drones current positon as home, you have choice of " original positon" or "current positon".  I select " current positon" and this crazy stuff happens. I habe not made any mods of any sort, because i am still in 1 year warranty.

It seems whenever i hit "set current positon as home, the drone selects its own new home point, NOT where it currently is, and then it begins to act like it is initiating rth.

Thanks for having a look
2016-5-8
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

quickpoint Posted at 2016-5-8 10:30
even with weak signal or disconnected it shouldn't reset the home point.   the first time this hap ...

Thank you.

When im flying aggressive, i am trying to bring it back but there is no response of the drone comimg back, it is like, a string is pulling it away while i can still control the left stick . ...

I must say. I have andriod. And my home point jumps when o select "set current position". And a this happens.

I did not csc in my case because of my first weird fly away, the drone found away to land safe. And i did not want it to crash over cars.

Please be careful
!!! Mine is the standard phantom 3.
I thought of tying a strong cord maybe thread that is strong enough, and if it happens again, try to pull it back, and the. Csc and catch it.. But im thinking... Maybe ill just stay away from setting new home points.since it seems the initial take off home recording works fine. ...
2016-5-8
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-5-8 12:08
If i cancel max altitude, and distance then the phantom could potentially exceed Transport Canada  ...

yea, it's up to you to stay within Transport Canada's guidelines. Setting the drone to only go to that maximum distance/altitude WILL cause issues. Do you think it's a coincidence your having issues, and nobody else is, and nobody else is really setting a max altitude of 400 ft, and definitely not a max distance unless they are training and brand new on it. Max distance is not the same as beginner mode, which actually sets a max distance the drone can travel away from you, plus other things. I'm just saying, that's how people normally do it, and then it's up to them to stay within guidelines/laws. If not, your gonna have issues when you get close to/hit that max. I've experienced it myself. Once I took off the maximum, The issue was gone.
2016-5-8
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Not that there is anything wrong with it, but I'm curious why you insist on setting a new home point when you go out.  I don't think I've ever used that function.  If I do, I'll probably land, shut down, and start back up again, letting it set that as the new home point.  Have you tried doing it by landing, set new home point while on the ground - even without shutting down, and seeing what the outcome is?  That would be part of troubleshooting the problem.
2016-5-8
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

So I am looking at my recording, and..
when the drone is within 20 m of take off point,  and I hit "Current position" - the drone sets a new home point and starts to drift towards the new home (500-1000 meters away)
If I slide the thing, it will initiate RTH  or land.
But in my cases,  it starts moving towards the new home point the very moment i choose "current position" .
I just tried on simulator, the drone doesn't move. But in real life , it starts moving.

2016-5-8
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Here is my DAT file.
it is the only log that I can find.
my phone , the APP PLAYS THE FLIGHT, but when Connected to computer, the flight is nowhere to be found in DJI FLIGHT LOG .NONE.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cjli0vxrl8oudvc/FLY117.DAT?dl=0

2016-5-8
Use props
simon.modera
lvl.1
Canada

Can you share what the 15 warnings were; may shed more light?
2016-5-8
Use props
simon.modera
lvl.1
Canada

Have you upgraded firmware on ALL of P3P, RC, App and for good measure the batteries?
2016-5-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

What is your email and I will look at your flight.
Sync your flight records and let me know what day and time it is.
2016-5-8
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-8 23:07
What is your email and I will look at your flight.
Sync your flight records and let me know what day ...

Ryanlam115@gmail.com

How do i sync my records.?

The flight is only recorded and viewable on the App.
When i connect the phone to computer, the flight record is not there. Healthy drones is able to find the file but computer can not find the file.

Thank you for responding
2016-5-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

To sync your flight records, from the home page, the icon is the in the top left (paper airplane). From there the upper right is the sync button (cloud)I will look at it in the morning.
2016-5-8
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

simon.modera@sh Posted at 2016-5-8 22:00
Have you upgraded firmware on ALL of P3P, RC, App and for good measure the batteries?

So. Mine is standard.
I upgraded via the App. It later said update successful . i re binded the rc. I calibrated imu. I do compass calibration before each flight.

What else am i missing?
How can i know if rc, and battery are upgraded?
2016-5-8
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-9 00:16
To sync your flight records, from the home page, the icon is the in the top left (paper airplane). ...

It now says synced
Thank you for your time. Please have a look at May 6, 2016. And April 14 flights.
2016-5-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-5-9 12:19
It now says synced
Thank you for your time. Please have a look at May 6, 2016. And April 14 flight ...

OK, I'll look when I get to work in the morning.
2016-5-8
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-9 00:24
OK, I'll look when I get to work in the morning.

Thank you very much.
I hit set current positoon and thr home point jumps far away then, rth initiated to new home point. And when rth is cancelled, atti mode does not regain control.

This was really dangerous to me and others.
2016-5-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-5-9 14:27
Thank you very much.
I hit set current positoon and thr home point jumps far away then, rth initi ...

Do you have a maximum distance set in the Go App? This would explain why it heads off after setting the wrong place as home, it may be trying to get back within the maximum distance.
2016-5-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Question, you are not using a GPS enabled device correct, I do not see a blue circle?
Also you were in beginner mode or had the max distance enabled (30m is default).
It looks like the home point was reset but I cannot see where it reset to.
It started moving to the right (were you still standing by the original take-off spot?
It looks like when the home point was reset, you may have been in a different location.
It looks like you put it into RTH mode and it starting heading back towards you, then you cancelled and put it and left it in ATTI mode and it started drifting away.
That's about all I can see from the flight record, if you want a full analysis and have it check out you can send it in.
2016-5-9
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-9 13:54
Question, you are not using a GPS enabled device correct, I do not see a blue circle?
Also you were  ...

hey Ken,  this is the second time with this.   he his p3 reset home point on another flight.   http://forum.dji.com/thread-49056-1-1.html   
2016-5-9
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules