Drifting!
4460 27 2015-1-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Blip
lvl.2

United States

So today I decided to fly my drone from a parking garage which was next to a giant football field. I calibrated the compass and checked the IMU readings; everything looked perfect. I had it in P-GPS and it read safe to fly. I took off and within a few seconds, it began drifting heavily to the right (I was in the center of the field and it had already reached the edge). It was about to hit a fence so I quickly pushed the throttle up to make it go above the fens - all while it was still banking to right. Avoided the fens barely and landed it on the other side. Phew!
--- I have the lastest firmware installed on my Inspire and controller and I was using an android device ---
2015-1-17
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6690 ft
United States

I would do an Advanced IMU Calibration! Takes about 5 minutes and from what I've been told by others if your inspire drifts then do that calibration. Then calibrate your compass and power it up and lift off about a foot and see what it does! If it seems steady then go a little higher till your sure its a stable aircraft.
2015-1-17
Use props
Blip
lvl.2

United States

I have done one and the readings were fine!
2015-1-17
Use props
Blip
lvl.2

United States

Help anyone?
2015-1-18
Use props
cow
lvl.1

United States

Parking structure = Incredible amount of steel reinforced concrete = bad bad bad place to calibrate a compass.

I would do another advanced IMU and then take it somewhere less volatile for takeoff.
2015-1-18
Use props
Blip
lvl.2

United States

cow Posted at 2015-1-18 23:13
Parking structure = Incredible amount of steel reinforced concrete = bad bad bad place to calibrat ...

Yes, I am aware that parking structures have reinforced steel. Which is why I decided to fly my drone in the field instead. I became aware that the parking would be a problem because the compass readings were abnormal. I re-calibrated  my aircraft on the field before flying it.
2015-1-18
Use props
cow
lvl.1

United States

Blip Posted at 2015-1-19 01:43
Yes, I am aware that parking structures have reinforced steel. Which is why I decided to fly my dr ...

I see.  I really don't have any idea then, aside from doing another advanced IMU from a surface you are sure is level.  Also, you did say: "So today I decided to fly my drone from a parking garage which was next to a giant football field." which is what led me to believe you may not be aware of the steel reinforcing... wasn't trying to demean you.
2015-1-18
Use props
The Colonel
lvl.4

United States

svencool Posted at 2015-1-18 12:27
I would do an Advanced IMU Calibration! Takes about 5 minutes and from what I've been told by others ...

Ty quick question where in the app is  the advanced IMU calibration ? I see the compass calibration ty  in advance.
2015-1-18
Use props
The Colonel
lvl.4

United States

found it under advanced settings.
2015-1-18
Use props
johnmillsnz
lvl.2

New Zealand

The last time I flew, I had almost the exact same experience.
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... amp;page=1#pid34329

DJI contacted me and I supplied the flight log. Still waiting to hear back.  

I am  reluctant to fly again until I am sure that something has been done to correct this problem.

2015-1-18
Use props
DJI-Autumn
lvl.4

China

Blip, have you contacted the inspire1@dji.com?
If not, could you pls kindly send your flight log to us?
Thanks a lot!
2015-1-20
Use props
DJI-Autumn
lvl.4

China

johnmillsnz@icl Posted at 2015-1-19 04:02
The last time I flew, I had almost the exact same experience.
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=vie ...

Sorry to keep you waiting!
I've got your data and our R&D is busy dealing with it.
Many thanks to you!
2015-1-20
Use props
jones5r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105722 ft
United States

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-1-21 10:26
Many thanks to ...

DJI - I experienced the same issue with my initial flight test. After about a minute it settle down to normal GPS hover and flight. Luckily I'm experienced and was at a open field when it started to drift w/o any input. GPS signal was strong. Should I send flight logs?  Also noticed the gimbal went a little heywire during flight.
2015-1-22
Use props
AMF536
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-1-21 10:26
Many thanks to ...

The same thing happened to me yesterday.  Strong drift to right, landed, took off again with no problems after that.  I contacted inspire1@dji.com
2015-1-22
Use props
tony.email
lvl.1
United States

Same here. Drifts at first, settles down and is like a brick in the air. Today it didn't settle that well. Kept moving around even after the first flights. I notice that if I give it a quick nudge and let go of the sticks it seems to settle in. Might need a bit more experimenting.
2015-1-22
Use props
DJI-Autumn
lvl.4

China

@jones5r   @tony.email
Yes we need the log for further analysis. Could you pls send it to autumn.a@dji.com?
Many thanks!

@AMF536
Since I don't know your contact info I can hardly check your data...Could pls also send a mail to me?
2015-1-22
Use props
johnmillsnz.ema
lvl.2

New Zealand

I am experiencing this drifting 'problem' every flight (compass always calibrated)
The Inspire seems to get a good GPS lock (slow green flash) in 'P' mode.
As soon as it rises off the ground, it starts to drift (similar to atti mode).  I am used to it now so am ready to counter it.
The LED also changes from green slow to yellow flash.
Settles down after a while (30 to 60 seconds), and normally good from then on, although last flight it came back for a brief moment within the first 2 min.
One thing I have noticed in the last 2 flights is that the video changes/jumps  (as though the gimbal resets) around the same moment that the problem occurs.

It seems that a number of users are having the same experiences, so I can only assume DJI are working on a solution.

I am in NZ, and I am wondering if the high magnetic declination here (22 degrees) may be a factor, as it was on the P2V+ Toilet bowl effect until the firmware was updated.
2015-1-28
Use props
Barnesville
lvl.2

Canada

I've noticed the same thing with my I1. I wonder too if this is a similar issue related to compass declination (called the J hook issue) that used to happen to the P2s? DJI did some sort of a firmware declination correction (based on where you are on the planet) that fixed the problem.  But I still found that my P2V+ didn't fly perfectly straight until it was in the air flying for a minute or 2.
2015-1-28
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Barnesville Posted at 2015-1-29 12:23
I've noticed the same thing with my I1. I wonder too if this is a similar issue related to compass d ...

If you fly the Inspire several times straight out the J hook disappeares.  I have done this many times at different locations and it always works for me.  Give it a try and let us know.  If you still have issues then contact inspire@dji.com.
2015-1-28
Use props
johnmillsnz.ema
lvl.2

New Zealand

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-1-29 13:21
If you fly the Inspire several times straight out the J hook disappeares.  I have done this many ti ...

Interesting you say that.
Last flight - flew one battery and had drifting issue for first 30 seconds, then when battery drained (30%), changed to second and flew again.  This time no problem during the flight.

Sounds to me like an issue that can be managed until a firmware update is available, as long as those of us with the problem take extra care during the initial minute of flight.
2015-1-28
Use props
hvilorio
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10184222 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

If you fly the Inspire several times straight out the J hook disappeares.  I have done this many ti ...

When you say straight out what do you mean exactly? I'm having this problem (j hook) right now...
2015-1-29
Use props
hvilorio
lvl.3
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

When you say straight out what do you mean exactly? I'm having this problem (j hook) right now...
2015-1-29
Use props
s.s.gibbs1.emai
lvl.2

United States

hvilorio Posted at 2015-1-30 12:38

go out straight in a line and come back a few times. it should correct after a few times.
2015-1-29
Use props
hvilorio
lvl.3
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

s.s.gibbs1.emai Posted at 2015-1-30 13:22
go out straight in a line and come back a few times. it should correct after a few times.

at any height?
2015-1-29
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

I usually do this at about 10m.  It does not have to be high.
2015-1-29
Use props
hvilorio
lvl.3
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-1-30 13:53
I usually do this at about 10m.  It does not have to be high.

Great, will do that tomorrow!
2015-1-29
Use props
chrisgeigerphot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13046529 ft
  • >>>
United States

Every DJI controller is a little loose during the first 30 seconds or of flight time. If you give it some space it figures things out. When the gps on the Inspire is working, it sure is locked in. Hope they can fix the compass errors.
2015-1-29
Use props
Byte
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4654491 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Did anyone manage to find a solution to this? My I1 Pro seems to be experiencing a similar issue.
Upon takeoff, it doesn't lock straight in but appears to drift quite easily. After flying around a bit it seems to lock in better but it would be good to know if there's a way to get the initial lock better.
I'm running everything on the latest firmware.
2017-7-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules