Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
128G Micro SD Card
5994 18 2016-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bmando71
lvl.1

Canada

I bought the Phantom 4 and even though the spec say max 64gig can you run a 128 gig. The reason I ask is I have one so wanted to use it, but will something happen even thought specs say max 64?
2016-5-9
Use props
Advocate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I ordered a 64gb card the day I got my Phantom 4, thinking that the 16gb card supplied by DJI would hold very little video.  I was wrong.  The 16gb card is more than enough.  My 64gb card never has more than about 9gb of video on it even after using two whole batteries of flight, and I film from take off to landing constantly.

Save your money, if anything just buy extra 16gb cards.
2016-5-9
Use props
ProQuad
First Officer
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

Agreed.  I asked DJI, and they said the same thing.
2016-5-9
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

bmando71, most 128GB memory cards work just fine. Give it a shot since you already have it. The worst thing that'll happen is the Phantom won't be able to read it.
2016-5-9
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello bmando71, the max supported capacity is 64 GB. If you want to try the 128GB card, don't forget to format it into exFAT with 128KB unit at first.
2016-5-9
Use props
My Flying Eye
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I run a 128gb in mine and have no problems to date.
2016-5-9
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
Second Officer

United States

Yea I love having a large capacity SD card (and a fast one) so I don't have to worry if I can't get to a computer until the weekend and I'm flying Monday-Friday. I still don't fill up.
2016-5-10
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Personally, the 128 sd card is to expensive for me to try.
2016-5-10
Use props
sploodge
Captain
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-5-10 12:22
Yea I love having a large capacity SD card (and a fast one) so I don't have to worry if I can't get  ...

I always have multiple 16Gb cards with me and swap them for a clean card if I have already got footage and then need to fly over water or any area where I could lose it and difficult to recover..

Last thing you needs is days of footage lost if the aircraft took a swim.. I could not care less to lose the aircraft but the lost footage would be a disaster. This is why I have 3 P4's
2016-5-10
Use props
malvern
Second Officer
United Kingdom

It makes sense to have a 16gb SD card for every battery you have.

3 batteries, 3x 16gb SD cards.

Change battery, change SD card.

I do this because I had problems with stacking up media on the 64gb SD card, and it kept stopping recording randomly during flight (in Litch WP mode).

But since I format the SD cards before flight, I have had zero issues with failed recording.
2016-5-10
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
Second Officer

United States

sploodge Posted at 2016-5-10 07:36
I always have multiple 16Gb cards with me and swap them for a clean card if I have already got foo ...

well that's awesome, but I can't afford three P4's, like the majority of us out here.
2016-5-10
Use props
Murilo Carmello
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1562549 ft
Israel

I have a 64G card because I have two batteries and I film in 4K, but 32G for 4K and 2 batteries this is more than enough
The maximum that Phantom "read" is 64G, if you put a 128G card or will give error or the Phantom will not read the card
2016-5-11
Use props
jstjohnz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1146388 ft
United States

I keep seeing conflicting comments whether or not 128GB cards work and whether or not ExFAT is supported.
2016-5-11
Use props
WillBapta
lvl.3

United States

Right I think it comes down to the formatting. Perhaps they expanded support? That's a lot of storage though. How many batteries do you have to be able to fill up more than 64GB before copying to a computer???
2016-5-11
Use props
Hydrad
New
Flight distance : 318 ft
United States

Advocate Posted at 2016-5-9 15:33
I ordered a 64gb card the day I got my Phantom 4, thinking that the 16gb card supplied by DJI would hold very little video.  I was wrong.  The 16gb card is more than enough.  My 64gb card never has more than about 9gb of video on it even after using two whole batteries of flight, and I film from take off to landing constantly.

Save your money, if anything just buy extra 16gb cards.

I have the same question.  I just bought a Phantom 4 Pro and created a small video.  The 3 minute and 7 second video used up 2.36 Gig on the card.  The video was 4K at 30 fps.  A formatted 16 Gig card will hold about 14.9 Gig of files.  At the rate I am seeing, a 16 Gig card might hold as much as 20 minutes of video, which means that you will run out of space before even 1 battery is depleted.

A 64Gig card will hold 79 minutes of 4K video, which is slightly over 1 batteries worth of time.  If I had shot at 60 fps, the card would have been depleted even faster.  If a 128 Gig card would work, I think that you will need it.  But, it is not clear that it will work.
2017-7-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Hydrad Posted at 2017-7-20 22:48
I have the same question.  I just bought a Phantom 4 Pro and created a small video.  The 3 minute and 7 second video used up 2.36 Gig on the card.  The video was 4K at 30 fps.  A formatted 16 Gig card will hold about 14.9 Gig of files.  At the rate I am seeing, a 16 Gig card might hold as much as 20 minutes of video, which means that you will run out of space before even 1 battery is depleted.

A 64Gig card will hold 79 minutes of 4K video, which is slightly over 1 batteries worth of time.  If I had shot at 60 fps, the card would have been depleted even faster.  If a 128 Gig card would work, I think that you will need it.  But, it is not clear that it will work.

THe P4 Pro will accept a 128GB card, it is in the DJI specs. But get a good one, my choice would be a Sandisk Extreme card.

'79 minutes of 4K video, which is slightly over 1 batteries worth of time.'

I think your maths are way out there, a single battery will not last 79 minutes.

2017-7-20
Use props
Hydrad
New
Flight distance : 318 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-20 22:54
THe P4 Pro will accept a 128GB card, it is in the DJI specs. But get a good one, my choice would be a Sandisk Extreme card.

'79 minutes of 4K video, which is slightly over 1 batteries worth of time.'

You are right, it is slightly over 2 batteries worth of time.
2017-7-20
Use props
Aerotheque
lvl.1
Flight distance : 112986 ft
Australia

I have been using a 128gb Sandisk extreme without any issues.
2017-7-20
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hydrad Posted at 2017-7-20 23:04
You are right, it is slightly over 2 batteries worth of time.

You are wrong - it's about 4 batteries of recording from start to finish.
But if you are going to create an interesting video you'd be wanting to just shot part of each flight and edit it.
If you value your work, you wouldn't keep 4 or more flight's work all on the same card and send it out agian and again.
If you think your work is junk, perhaps you would.
2017-7-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules