S2 - Homepoint Reset Issue
2357 19 2015-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

OK, so now that i understand S2 in naza i have a ?.  ive asked this in another thread but to avoid continuing to derail there, i am starting here as i have additional info on my question...
when at my house, ive been having to set my homepoint after i take off.  basically, i get 5 sats at launch, so i launch without home point and get up to about 30ft and once i have >6 (u usually end up at 10 or 12 once up to 50ft or so), i need to set a homepoint.  ive watched vidoes (someone shared in the other thread i think) that showed oscillating s2 quickly 5-7 times reset his homepoint.

now, in his video, when it worked, it would fastflash green (like a handful of green flashes really quick) then return to whatever the LEDs were doing.  sometimes in his video (this is the kitchen table guy) it just wouldnt work (like nothing happened, the LEDs just continued doing exaclty what they were before, which, in his case, was GRRR or something like that).  IIRC, i think he said he thought it was because he wasnt oscillating fast enough on s2.

but when it didnt work, his seemed to get no visible failure feedback.

so when i do it, i seem to be getting like 2 fast yellows instead of rapid greens (keep in mind im talking about in between normal led behavior while flying with full sat locks which is frontLEDs solid red and backLEDs going GG, GG, GG, GG, etc.  the two yellow flashes interrupt those greens, and then they go right back.  
anyone have any ideas?  i cannot for the life of me find the LED pattern 'sticker' for S2 homepoint feedback blinking.  ive seen it for 2 or 3 other aspects but just cant find this one.  

i also dont seem to be getting a 'new' homepoint each time (sometimes i am sometimes i am not).  is the 10m range thing (related to CL/HL) potentially similar to this were maybe i cannot reset my homepoint to another location too close to where i set it the first time.  just trying to think why i'd be getting odd behavior like this.  im going to test it some more tomorrow so apologies if im not clear yet on the sequencing but any thoughts on my problem would be much appreciated.
2015-1-18
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

btw, i know that this is an odd circumstance, but a reasonable scenario where this will be very useful is to set midflight a homepoint nearby above land if you were filming from a moving boat on the water.  just clarifying that i am not trying to imply that my situation needs this solution, it was more that this situation just made me realize im not certain on how my homepoint reset is functioning and should probably ask that now rather than after i have some real world need for it.   
2015-1-18
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

I found this for you in the manual on page 33 for the Phantom 2

"In Phantom 2 Vision mode, users can set a new home point manually when the aircraft is in “Ready to fly”
status as long as a home point has been recorded automatically. Quickly flipping the S2 switch of the
remote control from upper most to lower most positions 5 times or more will reset the current aircraft
position as a new home point of PHANTOM 2 VISION. When successfully reset, you will see a series of
rapid green blinks on the LED Flight Indicator".
2015-1-18
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-19 12:59
I found this for you in the manual on page 33 for the Phantom 2

"In Phantom 2 Vision mode, users ca ...

Need to be careful here. This is not the correct procedure for flying in NAZA-M mode as per the OPs operation. Your description as you point out is for Phantom operation mode.

Reset Home Position in NAZA-M mode is to rapidly switch the S2 switch from MIDDLE to BOTTOM will set Home position.

Flipping S2 from Top to Bottom will set both Home and Heading for IOS operation in NAZA-M and is described as a warning in the NAZA manual.

For the OP it requires a pretty fast toggle to get it to operate.

There is no feedback for failure only the rapid flashing for success.

I suggest you find an open field where you have full sat coverage on the ground. Don't start the props and try the rapid toggle on the ground.

It is a very rapid toggle required.

Cheers

2015-1-19
Use props
mike.email
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Following on from first post above -

"so when i do it, i seem to be getting like 2 fast yellows instead of rapid greens"

aren't the flashing yellows relating to Course Lock set?
2015-1-19
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

mike.email Posted at 2015-1-19 19:49
Following on from first post above -

"so when i do it, i seem to be getting like 2 fast yellows ins ...

If you do not get the long series of flashes, the 2 fast Yellows just indicate that it is in Course Lock. i.e It will indicate the position of the s2 switch once you finish the toggling.

2015-1-19
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

bjr981s Posted at 2015-1-19 19:35
Need to be careful here. This is not the correct procedure for flying in NAZA-M mode as per the OP ...

What he is doing is trying to set his home point at altitude because where he lives and flies, he only gets 5 sats on the ground at the most and cannot set his home point.   Toggling S2 will reset the home point to where you are at when you do the toggle, but you need a confirmed home point set at the time of take off, which he is not able to acquire.  We thought setting the home point from altitude when he gets the required number of sats would work.  That won't set the home point because he doesn't have a confirmed home point at the time of take off.
2015-1-19
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

gerry, i think they are saying that your post (and that last post too) are only true for phantom mode not naza.

so i think (of course i could be wrong but here is how im reading all of this):

in naza, i have to go s1mid-s1bott RAPIDLY to set new HP and the yellow flashes i am getting are just the result of where i END UP with s2 (likely because i am not toggling fast enough even tho JFC am i going fast).  but instead, the suggestion is that i can toggle s2 between JUST mid and bottom and still get a new HP even tho i had no locks on the ground.  they are surmising here that the LIMIT of not being able to set a new HP WITHOUT getting one first on the ground, may only be a limit in phantom mode and not naza mode.

i plan to test this out today.  THANKS for all the great feedback, i knew you guys would give me the best feedback i could get.  much appreciated, it is so cool to learn with such a large group willing to participate.
2015-1-19
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-1-19 23:36
gerry, i think they are saying that your post (and that last post too) are only true for phantom mod ...

Give it a good test and let me know.  Lets hope it works
2015-1-19
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

Will the Vision app show you where your home point is set? In other words if you set it and then travel 20 miles will that show up as your home point.
2015-1-19
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

ok, i can confirm some more info but still not enough testing to get all scenarios but can do a few more takeoffs outside without GPS lock to get the remaining data.

here is what i determined today, in a field where on the ground i never had less than 8 sat locks and as high as 10-12 when flying:

- HP was set ONLY upon boot and sat lock, NOT engine start and/or takeoff.  a few times i landed, killed engine (down throttle for 3secs not CSC), waited a sec, restarted engine and took off.  HP was still set to original location.  if i got sat lock and then walked 200ft away and took off, HP was still where i was standing originally not where i took off from.

-i could never get the s2 toggle to work.  i tried fast toggling it more than a dozen diff times and each time the original HP was never changed.  it was always wherever i turned the phantom ON at and it got satlock, not where i took off from (note:  this is a good reason not to turn on and get satlock then walk 100yrd away and launch from there and inadvertetnly have a HP that far away, of course if your s2 toggle works for you then this isnt a big deal but so far for me it unfortunately is).  another thing ill say about this in having to feverishly toggle between only mid/bottom, i did feel like sometimes my up (bott to mid) might go slightly past to top position on one or more of my 5-7 toggles.  if it has to be SUPER RAPID ... AND ... it requires NO LEEWAY of going past mid on the up part of the toggle, then im afraid i may never be able to do this right as that seems effing near impossible for me.  i can confirm that what someone said about the 'yellow blink' i thought was an error for HP setting was just echoing the final position of s2 (letting me know it ended up in HL or CL for example).

lastly, i still dont know how/when my HP is being set when i takeoff in ATTI mode without enough sat locks.  im going to try that some more outside and see if i can take off, fly low for 150ft, then go up and get sat locks and see where my HP gets set.  seems it would have to be at the point of >6 satlocks but just want to prove this to myself.  honestly, not being able to manually set it (effectively at least) and not knowing 100% the ins and outs of caveat situations, makes me feel uncomfortable with HP behavior without testing it almost every time, which i am for the time being doing.

thanks for all the info guys, ill keep you posted.  learned a few other things today about yaw drift that ill post in another thread.
2015-1-19
Use props
BWJ
lvl.4

Denmark

Thats funny, I have always heard that in Phantom mode, switches have no purchase except flipping S1  for compass calibrating.
Now you say that Toggling S2 in Phantom mode also will reset the home point ???
Are there more surprises ....
2015-1-19
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

BWJ Posted at 2015-1-20 03:07
Thats funny, I have always heard that in Phantom mode, switches have no purchase except flipping S1  ...

Yes, S2 in Phantom working mode is used only to enter Home Point.  It is in the manual.  Toggle rapidly top to bottom 5 times.
2015-1-19
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-1-20 02:57
ok, i can confirm some more info but still not enough testing to get all scenarios but can do a few  ...

Can you check in the RC assistant that the S2 switch is working as expected?

Have you been able to do a Course Lock and get the rapid LED flashing?

Remember that to set:

Course lock it is a rapid toggle between Top and Middle.
Home lock is a rapid toggle between Middle and Bottom.

It is a different operation in NAZA mode to Phantom.

Cheers

2015-1-21
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

bjr,  the s2 shows working properly in the assistant.

i can put the s2 switch in mid and bottom positions (and get LED response) and the craft flies properly in course lock mode and home lock mode when in the mid and bottom positions.

however, my issue above is not with using course lock and home lock MODES but SETTING the homepoint with the rapid s2 toggle.  so let me be clear, NORMAL USAGE of the s2 switch occurs without fail.  it is the rapid toggle to set a NEW homepoint that is not working for me.  since i cannot get it to set a NEW homepoint with the s2 toggle WHILE FLYING, nor does it get a new homepoint when i LAND, KILL MOTOR AND RESTART MOTOR WIHTOUT REBOOTING PHANTOM, i am now going to try and see if i can land, kill motor and then see if the rapid s2 toggle will work after the motor is off but the phantom is still on (ie- is it that it works for me on the ground with no propeller rotation but not while flying).  i'll post back results but getting frustrated that i cannot set the homepoint while midflight, that is something i really want to be able to do since i plan to fly around water and from boats somewhat frequently.
2015-1-21
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

got it to work today.  s2 toggle resets my HP if i do MID/BOTT and resets my COURSELOCK if i to MID/TOP.  it resets BOTH if i toggle TOP/BOTT.  

next i plan to test if launching without sat locks is what might have been preventing me the one time.  not sure why it didnt work in the soccer field but it is working now and im getting the fast green response.
2015-1-22
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

FINALLY got it to work today.  had sat locks at takeoff and it allowed me to set HL/HP, CL and/or BOTH with the s2 toggle.  im going to test again if i can get it to set AFTER launch if i dont have satlocks at launch.  today my sat coverage was 'too good' to test that out.  ill let you guys know but thanks for all the dialogue, it really helped me out.
2015-1-22
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-1-23 05:05
FINALLY got it to work today.  had sat locks at takeoff and it allowed me to set HL/HP, CL and/or BO ...

Yea.
2015-1-23
Use props
MalcB
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Don't know if this helps or if you've already covered it but the 3.08 firmware upgrade stated:

a)        Dynamic home point: when using a GPS-enabled mobile device and running the VISION app, the Home Point will automatically be reset to the location of the device every 2 seconds during flight.
b)        Ability to change the Return to Home altitude added to the VISION app (ability to change this setting in the Assistant software remains).
It covers the problem when you're moving in a car or boat so that the HP is dynamic.

Apologies if this isn't relevant
2015-1-23
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

yes, malcb, i did know that, but i had it turned off for the purposes of this exercise (and i dont like the dynamic aspect when in a boat, a boat is moving, gps is at best 'generally accurate' on moving targets, so i wanted to be able to set a RIGID homepoint like on land or the beach instead of it trying to follow my boat around (particularly on like a low battery or something).

as for apologizing about relevance... im not one of those 'stay on topic' forum nazis.  it doesnt take rocket science intellect to manage MULTI-THREADED conversation... maybe thats just me tho
2015-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules