Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ronin-M lens choice
7432 7 2016-5-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
donaldmitchell
New

United Kingdom

I am using a Canon 70d on my new Ronin-M. At the moment I have the 24-105 L series f4 zoom with image stabilisation attached. Once I add a monitor onto the rig, it's getting very heavy.
I was thinking about using the pancake 24mm lens with STM motor but no image stabilistaion to save weight. I am using the 70d's excellent autofocus.

For best results, is it more important to have a lens with image stabilisation or a lens with better autofocus?

Is the pancake 24mm a good choice? Is it's autofocus better than the 24-105?

Which other lenses do users recommend?
2016-5-20
Use props
valealvarez.s96
lvl.4
Argentina

The stabilization could be worse if you turn on IS on the lens, because the image will wobble at some point, the IS its not the best idea, for example, sony A7sii has 5axis stabilization build in, 3 axis on the sensor and 2 axis from the lens itself, and if you turn them all while operating a gimbal makes it worse
2016-5-20
Use props
valealvarez.s96
lvl.4
Argentina

It will make unwanted movement rather than locking on the horizon as you may think, and for your other question, yeah, you are better with autofocus, the 24-105 may be better at AF that the pancake one, due to the USM motor which i think it have, because the more movement&vibration thats happening in camera it will be recorded in the footage, so test everything
2016-5-20
Use props
valealvarez.s96
lvl.4
Argentina

I don't use autofocus so i can't help you that much, i have the Dji wireless follow focus system and have an assistant pulling focus for me
2016-5-20
Use props
donaldmitchell
New

United Kingdom

valealvarez.s96 Posted at 2016-5-20 20:09
I don't use autofocus so i can't help you that much, i have the Dji wireless follow focus system and ...

Thanks guys - I don't actually have the 24mm pancake yet so can't test!

I thought STM autofocus was better than USM for video? Is the opposite true?

Interesting that it's better to have IS off on the lens.

One more question - is the Ronin-M smoother with more weight on it or less?
2016-5-20
Use props
valealvarez.s96
lvl.4
Argentina

donaldmitchell@ Posted at 2016-5-21 03:38
Thanks guys - I don't actually have the 24mm pancake yet so can't test!

I thought STM autofocus w ...

I dont know for sure if stm is better that usm, usm is quieter, and since st. Is a stepper motor should be better fot video.

The ronin has a sweet spot on the weight, if its too light its harder to balance for me. You need to aim for a high "tilt" stiffness, usually with a ligher camera yo only get 12, with my setup y can easily have 40+ on stiffness, Canon 650D + battery grip + 2 batteries + 35mm F1.4L + Dji follow focus
2016-5-20
Use props
Brostopher
New

United States

I have the 70d and looking to get the Ronin M. I was wondering if the LCD screen is obstructed by the Ronin M and if there is enough room to flip out the LCD.
2017-5-1
Use props
gt3rs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 280056 ft
Switzerland

I use a Ronin M with 1Dx II and for me the two best lens are 24 1.4 II and 50 1.2 (1Dx II videos are 1.3 crop) because thanks to AF I can create shallow DOF videos from a gimbal as one man band. You need ND filters naturally for these fast aperture. I also use the 16-35 2.8 when I need to go wide and a 85 1.8 but this one rarely. I also have the 24-105 but I don't find it interesting.

If you want to save some money you could look at the sigma counterpart or the Canon 28 1.8 and 50 1.4 another option for the 1.6 crop is the sigma 18-35 1.8 but I never tested it so not sure about the AF.

Here a test video with some scenes shot at F 1.4-1.6 @ 24mm so you can se the AF in a really challenging scenario (rest of the video it is a P4p):

With the weight you get used over time and as other have mentioned I'm not sure you will gain a lot with the 24 2.8 pankake

2017-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules