Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Should I be Concerned?
1473 12 2015-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ronduff.email
New
Flight distance : 125194 ft
United States

I am a real estate broker and purchased a phantom Vision 2+for my business.  It arrives later today or tomorrow.  Last week Iread that there is a problem with the satellite connection.  Specifically,the signal strength and satellite links are very low and when recording satelliteconnection strength diminishes or completely disappears.  A there are numerousaccounts and even some suggested fixes which involves opening the chassis andapplying a foil barrier over the processor.  

I just paid $1300 for my drone and accessories and I'm very concerned aboutthis.  

Any thoughts?

2015-1-19
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

What version of Phantom did you buy, the version 2 or the upgraded version 3?
2015-1-19
Use props
gil
Captain
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Look at the label on the side of the box, as long as it says Phantom 2 Vision Plus v3.0, you're golden.  It has improved shielding for the GPS and other upgrades.
(ok, I'll modify my previous comment about being golden to silver... maybe even in some cases to bronze.  And if you're really cursed like a former girlfriend who could seemingly ruin anything electronic simply by being in the same room, pewter)
P2V _box.gif
2015-1-19
Use props
csauer52
lvl.1

United States

I'd be more concerned about the fact that it's illegal to use the phantom for commercial purposes without written consent from the FAA.

2015-1-19
Use props
dbeck
Second Officer

United States

gil Posted at 2015-1-20 04:06
Look at the label on the side of the box, as long as it says Phantom 2 Vision Plus v3.0, you're gold ...

Not necessarily true.  My box looks just like that and I have unmarked ESC's  Not good
2015-1-19
Use props
droneflyers.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Keep in mind that SOME people have had SOME problems. The vast majority of people have not had any problems. If you only paid $1300 with accessories you may have purchased the older model - again, most people haven''t had problems.

In addition, you should familiarize yourself with flying in altitude hold mode (ATTI) which is very stable but does not use GPS.

Most importantly - assuming you want to keep your Phantom - read and understand the manual...and other information concerning the use of it. I have written an article that - if you follow the guidelines - should help your unit last longer.

If you don't want to read the whole article, here are the top two hints....

1. If you've never flown R/C or a quadcopter, don't let your $$ Phantom be the first. Buy a couple toy models and practice.
2. When you do start using your Phantom, have the first number of flights be in a big open field.....big! This way you can see how it hold GPS and much more.
http://www.droneflyers.com/2014/ ... m-fly-away-crashes/

In the end, this is a user-controlled device. We can debate the percentages, but most crashes and flyaways are pilot error of one type or another. Some errors may be shortcomings in the design, others just user mistakes...but most would not end up crashed if those flying them were properly trained.
2015-1-19
Use props
ronduff.email
New
United States

csauer52 Posted at 2015-1-20 06:50
I'd be more concerned about the fact that it's illegal to use the phantom for commercial purposes wi ...

I intend to use the drone for MY real estate business and clients.  not shooting video for others or for $$.  There are no laws prohibiting my intended use.  but thanks for your comment.
2015-1-20
Use props
ronduff.email
New
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-1-20 07:21
Keep in mind that SOME people have had SOME problems. The vast majority of people have not had any p ...

thanks for the advice.  I'll consider a smaller inexpensive model.  
2015-1-20
Use props
gnixon2015
First Officer

United States

ronduff, using it indirectly for YOU to make money (not charging others for its use) is, from what ive read, a grey area.  my interpretations were that any commercial use (for sale or for internal business operations) was illegal.  do what you want but i would certainly recommend getting good legal advice because the fines in this space are reasonably hefty.
2015-1-20
Use props
kenargo
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I think the FAA has pretty much made it clear; if the drone is used in any connection to a business, directly or indirect income then you must have the proper paperwork from the FAA.

Ronduff, I believe that you are incorrect in your statement that there are no laws prohibiting your intended use, maybe technically, there are no laws I wouldn't say that you are clear from exposing yourself to fines.  The FAA, according to a recent court ruling presently has the legal standing to issue fines (even with present regulations).  A claim of unsafe or hazardess manner and they can fine you (a fairly low bar).  The court has ruled that they don't need new regulations in order to fine a person and the regulation process is more about defining the playing field.

I don't agree that you are not without legal risk and realty is said to be one of the areas the FAA is watching.  In other words, my suggestion would be to fly low and don't flaunt your work on the internet.

If you continue forward with the attitude that the FAA doesn't have any jurisdiction in what you do with your drone you may want to consider saving money for the attorney fees for fighting the FAA.
2015-1-20
Use props
kjkisatsky
lvl.4

United States

Ken is spot on actually.  If the UAV is used in the furtherance of any commercial enterprise, even one's own, it falls under commercial use.  There is a case pending against a photographer who was doing a vid for University of Virginia?  He may be fined 10,000 USD.  Granted, he came to the attention of FAA following allegations of recklessness, so it seems to be a matter of 'selective enforcement' at this time, so, "let the flyer beware".

As for the other part of the original post, as well as what other posters have said, I would beware of flying close enough to structures that may 'shadow' the aircraft and block GPS satellite signals, which are line of sight.  I am very careful to not get close to tall buildings for this reason.  I got my P2v+ ver 3 direct from DJI in early December.  Five flights under my belt (weather has me grounded lately) with no problems with GPS or ESC modules.
2015-1-20
Use props
csauer52
lvl.1

ronduff.email Posted at 2015-1-21 04:08
I intend to use the drone for MY real estate business and clients.  not shooting video for others  ...

Ahhhh yes - another ignorant drone user who thinks he doesn't need to understand the rules governing the use of RC aircraft in the United States. And yes, the FAA considers the Phantom to be an RC Aircraft. I suggest you do a little self education before replying with such ignorance and before you ruin the hobby for the rest of us who follow the rules.
2015-1-21
Use props
gnixon2015
First Officer

United States

yes, personal interpretation is risky.  a simple google search shows a result that says that the national assn of realtors currently recommends no real estate use based upon their interpretation of FAA rules:

http://www.realtor.org/field-gui ... nes-and-real-estate

i found a dozen different sources in 5 mins of googling that say what ronduff is suggesting is illegal.  i found NO evidence to the contrary.  does that mean some lawyer wouldnt interpret differently, not at all.  but is there risk in his supposition, for certain.
2015-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules