Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Phantom 4 Altitude proplem
3023 20 2016-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jakob.mar1988
New

Iceland

Hi,

i am new to the DJI Phantom and i just heard that some people are having so called
Altitude "Yo-Yo" Effect
Just wondering if soneone here has had this and if there is a fix for it?
2016-5-22
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have a look HERE
2016-5-23
Use props
mvosavos7
New

Spain

I have also had altitude problem, but you can consider lucky..I am dealing with so much worse issues with the phantom 4, max 650 meters range, camera not working, asked for a refund and zero replay from the customer service. I have bought from the dpi website and received on the 19th of may
2016-5-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

DO not use a gimbal guard on the aircraft that has a VPS, if you use a gimbal guard the sonar waves are bouncing off of it and going to make the aircraft do all kinds of altitude adjustments like in the video on the other thread.
2016-5-23
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-23 13:57
DO not use a gimbal guard on the aircraft that has a VPS, if you use a gimbal guard the sonar wave ...

Really? Are you talking about that thing that I have attached to the bottom of my skids? That is not even close to the front of the aircraft - you think it may still have impact?
Mind you, I am P3A, not P4.
2016-5-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2016-5-24 04:04
Really? Are you talking about that thing that I have attached to the bottom of my skids? That is no ...

The VPS is in the rear of the aircraft so if you say your gimbal guard is not even close to the front of the aircraft then that means it's in the rear probably right under the VPS and blocking your sonar and sensors.
2016-5-23
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

Hmm.. I guess I do not remember my phantom well yet ;) I was thinking VSP is on the front as the battery is in the back.. Will check at home, and see how in the way it is... Agreed that if it is in the way it will impact operation...  Then again, it is nice to have something protecting the gimbal, in case of a landing on a not perfectly smooth surface with say twigs, or rocks in places.....
2016-5-23
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-23 20:57
DO not use a gimbal guard on the aircraft that has a VPS, if you use a gimbal guard the sonar wave ...

I DO not use gimbal guards, which is why I suggested to OP that it may have been the problem, I assume your answer was directed at OP.

Edit, that would have been This one.
2016-5-23
Use props
bengalboy69
First Officer
Flight distance : 11134446 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-23 15:57

That is not true. The "Altitude Yo-Yo" occurs with or without the gimbal guard.  Instead of posting something false, why not ask me if I experienced it without a guard in place?
2016-5-23
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

I was going to post an image of my gimbal protector - it seems to be only about 1.5cm wide, right under the gimbal. The only wider area is by the skids.. but i do not see how to attach an image to a reply... I guess i cannot?
As for yoyo, i have noticed it when it's windy, and i always assumed it was due to the pressure changing, as the altitude is handled by a barometer... Come to think of it, i was below 10ft, so maybe it was VPS? Never paid that much attention to it..  Again, it's a p3, which is quite different in the way of the sensors it has...
2016-5-23
Use props
Athlon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 675364 ft
Germany

bengalboy69@gma Posted at 2016-5-24 04:54
That is not true. The "Altitude Yo-Yo" occurs with or without the gimbal guard.  Instead of postin ...

Yes, the "yo-yo effect" is there without any gimbal guard attached!
2016-5-26
Use props
Advocate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I believe (though I may be mistaken) that the guy who coined the phrase "yo yo effect" was actually using a gimbal guard and that his P4 was actually randomly shooting up anywhere up to 60-80 feet in height on its own and then dropping altitude.  He later posted that upon removing his gimbal guard his drone had calmed down and stopped "yo yo"ing.  This is different to the altitude drops and instability (altitude instability) that other users are reporting, which is much more subtle, but still in the range of 5-20 feet differences in altitude.

2016-5-27
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Advocate Posted at 2016-5-27 22:46
I believe (though I may be mistaken) that the guy who coined the phrase "yo yo effect" was actually  ...

I'll second that
2016-5-27
Use props
Advocate
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Why thank you sir!
2016-5-27
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You're welcome, anything to highlight the fact that paying customers are still waiting for a fix  (Doesn't quite sound right, does it ? ).
2016-5-27
Use props
bengalboy69
First Officer
Flight distance : 11134446 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, if you watch my video test of the use of a gimbal guard and the altitude Yo-Yo effect, you will see that even after removing the gimbal guard my Phantom 4 was subject to altitude change (not dramatic) while flying over water due to VPS system performance.  Creating prop wash on the surface of the water will cause the Phantom 4 to rise/drop and skate, though, not uncontrollably.  While flying over water caution should be used if maintaining a low altitude.  The sweet spot for stable performance with my Phantom 4 was about 45-50 feet.
2016-5-27
Use props
Advocate
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Doesn't flying over water cause the VPS to have problems? As far as I know the VPS works on pattern recognition and watches for the movement of the patterns to tell it when the P4 is moving. When you're flying over water the movements of the small waves and ripples could theoretically make the P4 think it is moving, so it would manuever to keep the "patterns" still and end up following the waves and/or ripples.  Not good.
2016-5-27
Use props
jp.falguieres
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1765486 ft
  • >>>
France

PROBLEME RESOLU

bonjour,

je m'apprêtais à envoyer mon Phantom 4 au SAV pour cette histoire de perte d'altitude en fin de course quand j'ai eu l'idée de tenter une expérience de la dernière chance :

J'ai démonté les hélices du Phantom puis tapoté avec une certaine insistance l’extrémité de chacun des 4 bras sur une planche en bois.

Remonté les hélices et testé...

Et bien... terminé !
Le Phantom garde son altitude, a même tendance à en prendre un peu et récupérer aussitôt.

Voila : donc si vous rencontrez vous aussi ce genre de problème avec votre cher Phantom 4 vous pouvez essayer et nous dire ici même si votre problème est enfin corrigé.

Hello,

I was about to send my DJI Phantom 4 for customer service in this altitude loss story end of the race when I had the idea to try an experiment last chance :

I disassembled the propellers of the Phantom then tapped with some insistence the end of each arm 4 on a wooden board .

Tucked up propellers and tested ...

Well ... done!
The Phantom keeps its altitude , even tends to take a little and recover immediately .

Voila: so if you encounter you as this kind of problem with your dear DJI Phantom 4  you can try and tell us here if your problem is finally fixed.

2016-6-3
Use props
ArcticM39
lvl.3

United States

"then tapped with some insistence the end of each arm 4 on a wooden board."

I wish I speak French... The Google translation comes across all wrong.
Perhaps, you are kind enough to post a video of the thing you did?
2016-6-3
Use props
paul
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I experienced the Yo-Yo effect yesterday and today for the first time. Phantom 4

1. Engaged RTH
2. When unit was approx 10 ft AGL, switched to S mode for manual operation.
3. Yo-Yo effect began about 1 foot from the ground and exponential got worse while in that position. Had to quickly increase altitude back to 10 feet to prevent impact with ground.
4. Eventually landed on one of the "down-strokes" - abruptly. Scarry....
2016-10-18
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Why did you switch to sports mode which is the least stable ?
If you wanted to disengage RTH then tap the cancel on the screen, or pushing the RTH button would have been a safer choice.

2016-10-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules