Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Calibration Qustion
1607 8 2015-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pidetectives.em
First Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

Do we need to calibrate every time we power up the bird until bug is resolved?
2015-1-19
Use props
raflores1
lvl.1

Puerto Rico

That is a good question. there seems no guidelines on any of te manuals with regards to the IMU calibration at all. So I know compass calibration is every time you flight from a different location however IMU? What is the guideline for that calibration.
2015-1-19
Use props
The Colonel
Second Officer

United States

As a safe guard I would calibrate every flight it only takes a few seconds.
2015-1-19
Use props
pidetectives.em
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Calibrate compass or both compass and IMU?
2015-1-19
Use props
The Colonel
Second Officer

United States

Compass for sure every flight .So worth the piece of mind watch your surroundings when doing the DJI compass dance,emf etc... Phone off your person keys out of pockets.

IMU only if you notice inconstancy's  in flight that are obvious.
I calibrate compass and move counter clock wise like with the phantom notice most calibrate counter clock wise 360 degrees.
There are so many little things one needs to pay attn to and the compass is huge look at the values for the compass in the app.
2015-1-19
Use props
pidetectives.em
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the info. What should I look for in IMU that tells me that i should calibrate IMU?
2015-1-19
Use props
The Colonel
Second Officer

United States

pidetectives.em Posted at 2015-1-20 06:11
Thanks for the info. What should I look for in IMU that tells me that i should calibrate IMU?

Hope this helps I've  been all over this thing since I got home and opened the box first flight hover to check battery life on each batt life is soon this week .Baby steps with this monster.

Someone posted the compass values here I had them but cant find them now.. 1.0-.10 and 1400=1599 in compass field hit advanced setting in the one page to access this.More than this calibrate compass.
If you have drift etc when flying then IMU recal for sure.
Thing should be very stable .

I did one IMU cal took a few mins as a safe guard then calibrated compass went real smooth. I see some here are having IMU calibration issues I had zero.
Man with 3k plus in the air always calibrate compass and do the dance it will help with home lock accuracy and flight big time.

Man just read watch video and do your homework this is a bit more complex than a phantom but not that hard to grasp when you take it slow.
I had a hell of a time confirming firmware update went thru they need to really work on the android firmware fast!!
2015-1-19
Use props
dbeck
Second Officer

United States

The Colonel Posted at 2015-1-20 05:40
As a safe guard I would calibrate every flight it only takes a few seconds.

Why?  Unless you have moved your location substantially and/or feel your bird has come under a heavy magnetic charge, why re-calibrate for the sake of just doing it?  Several threads on the phantom pilot site warn against unnecessary calibrations. You should check it out
2015-1-19
Use props
The Colonel
Second Officer

United States

Ty man good info and will look into it and its sources.
All valid points and logical ones as well.. Ive seen the exact opposite stated.

Hmm, too calibrate or not. I will calibrate ty.
In the manual and videos Ive seem from DJI its stated .
Its total preference and I have never seem a notice not to over calibrate the compass from the MANUFACTURER.
I have heard in videos direct from DJI its best to recalibrate before every flight but not necessary. I do and never an issue with a v2+ 70 plus flights not an issue.

Via  my experience flying I calibrate  often and not every flight especially when local is different... Preflight checklist is mandatory and responsible of the flyer and I follow mine religiously without mishap to date.

WHY ? safety factors, and liability its a good way too take out one more variable that could cause an issue.
&
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Phantom was a great trainer before this expensive Inspire.
4k investment is why I do and will do  it before every flight or when needed but until this thing is more field tested.
I'm not taking chances weighs 15 lbs. Imagine that going thru someone car window or home with your DJI flying Chop O Matic when a 2 min calibration may have cleared issues with a previous calibration near or close to EMF etc and not know about it.
10 feet in one direction can make a big diff some times while on same said local.

Up date checked compass values and they where higher via local I had yesterday a block away when I did my last calibration so today calibrated and numbers are in line perfectly  so it was off in just one day and short distance away.
2015-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules