Broken RTH button
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dmacy
lvl.1

United States

After about a month of flying my RTH button fell into the controller.  It was rattling around but seemed to work OK. I was worried something inside would short out so I decided on surgery. After carefully splitting the case I found that the plastic studs inside the case that hold the screws that hold the button were broken. Not only were they broke but every one of them that hold the screws for the two case halfs were also broken.  I had to remove the main board and the HDMI board to do the repair.  I carefully used epoxy to build up and hold the pieces together. I used longer screws to hold everthing together. Finding the right size and length screw was somewhat of a challenge. I let the epoxy harden of 24 hrs then reassembled. Everything worked out great and I am back in the air.  I am sure that this is a design problem. Maybe the wrong plastic and too short of a screw. I was really nervous about opening it up but all went well
2016-5-25
Use props
dkruseski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 791184 ft
United States

Nice work man, nice to see guys using skills.

Weird that a Chinese made product isn't top quality.
2016-5-25
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif
2016-5-25
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry for your issue, dmacy. I'd suggest you to get in touch with our tech support and send it to our service center if you need the repairing service. 北美地址.JPG
2016-5-25
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-5-26 00:23
Sorry for your issue, dmacy. I'd suggest you to get in touch with our tech support and send it to ou ...

sounds like they used their own repair center. may not be dji approved but turn around time and shipping was fast.   parts and labor as well
2016-5-25
Use props
dmacy
lvl.1

United States

Sorry I didn't take any pics. That was not the priority at the time. I have to say the anxiety was high when dismantling it. I didn't want to send it in for repair because of the turn around time.  I do feel it is a design problem and I am not the only who is going to have  with this problem. Almost every part that had a screw in it was cracked. The problem manifested itself in the RTH button. The power switch mount was also broken but wasn't rattling around. The mounts that hold both rotary switches were also broken. I think a longer screw would go a long way to help. As I said all is good now. If anybody else wants to tackle the project themselves PM me
2016-5-26
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

There are a few reports of screw posts breaking off and shattering inside the controller.  They pop up every few weeks.  Search the forums and you will find them.  It seems that is is a relatively common occurrence.
2016-5-26
Use props
amgskw
lvl.1

Canada

I had same problem contact Dji online support they told me to send it to California for repair I told them iras heading to Shenzhen China they told me to take it to repair centre in Shenzhen when I got there the tech took all ok at it then gave mea new controller and updated my firmware I was happy with their service and left .then headed to Hunan. When I got there lew my p3p went it went up to 400 feet and signal would cut out waiting to go back to Canada to try again
2016-5-26
Use props
dmacy
lvl.1

United States

Every single post in mine was broken or cracked. I figured if I sent it back (I am on the east coast) it would be weeks before I got it back or replaced and I didn't want to wait. It flies so well I didn't want to give up my controller. A new controller would probably have the same problem. Mine is now stronger than a new one. DJI needs to step up to the plate and fix this problem. Just send people that have a problem a new redesigned controller. Customers should not have to wait for a turn around for repair do to poor design.   I bought my Phantom to fly not wait for repair or replacement.
2016-5-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules