Latency with new go app
1832 32 2016-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TravisSRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18326348 ft
  • >>>

I'm getting tons of latency with the new go app on my I1 Pro with both my iPad Mini 3 and iPhone 6s.  Is anyone else having this problem or have any suggestions on how to fix?  I have a 4 day video shoot starting tomorrow and need to find a way to work around this.
2016-5-30
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just a thought, if you think this is related to the latest Go App update... then just restore your iPad back to the previous version (restore from backup). This will at least get you going for your video shoot.

I have not seen any difference with my iPad mini 2 using the latest Go App so far.  Also, double check all of your settings and make sure you have turned off all background Apps

Rich
2016-5-30
Use props
TravisSRT
lvl.4
  • >>>

Thanks Rich!  I'll try that, so I just tested it on my standard x3 Inspire and it's not nearly as bad, pro is pretty awful!
2016-5-30
Use props
TravisSRT
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-5-30 14:00
Just a thought, if you think this is related to the latest Go App update... then just restore your i ...

So I switched my Master/Slave controllers around and the latency disappeared?  Could it be an issue with the controller?
2016-5-30
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

TravisSRT Posted at 2016-5-30 18:07
So I switched my Master/Slave controllers around and the latency disappeared?  Could it be an issu ...

Wow, sure that's a possibility. Maybe the Lightbridge circuit on the remote is causing the issue??  It would be interesting to downgrade the FW on the remote and try it again.... maybe FW related on that remote?

Rich
2016-5-30
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

TravisSRT Posted at 2016-5-30 20:07
So I switched my Master/Slave controllers around and the latency disappeared?  Could it be an issu ...

I will bet you had a setting different somewhere,  (different channel selected .....etc.)

Also check and see if one had the "Enable Hardware Decoded" enabled on the Go app

Interesting problem though.  Check and compare settings on each radio.

Keep me posted, I am interested in what solves pilots challenges so we can help others.

Donnie
2016-5-31
Use props
ayrshireuav
lvl.3
Flight distance : 957297 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm having the same issue on my iPad Pro. I have the top spec one with more than 80gb free memory. I tried changing controllers but still happens around 300ft horizontally. It's causing issues with my images. I'm going to try deleting the video cache. See if that helps.
2016-5-31
Use props
markaguille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

Donnie Posted at 2016-5-31 14:58
I will bet you had a setting different somewhere,  (different channel selected .....etc.)

Also che ...

Hi Donnie,
Where in the app is the option to enable hardware decode? I'm sure I have seen it before but cannot for the life of me find it now. Is this an OS specific option or on both platforms?

Mark G.
2016-6-5
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

markaguille Posted at 2016-6-5 14:06
Hi Donnie,
Where in the app is the option to enable hardware decode? I'm sure I have seen it befor ...

Mark,
     It is on the Go-Ap under "General Settings "    It is just below the Measurement Unit for Imperail or Metric

I find to have it enabled really helps with processors that are on the fringe of being able to keep up.  The Go app uses a lot of Processing and Power in  general.

Hope this helps - BTW :  I am using an I- pad air with Go-App Version 2.8.3

I thought it was on Both  the Android and IOS  ( Apple )  versions , I know the IOS for sure .  

donnie

2016-6-5
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

ayrshireuav Posted at 2016-5-31 09:00
I'm having the same issue on my iPad Pro. I have the top spec one with more than 80gb free memory. I ...

Be sure to enable the "Hardware Decode " on the Go App , It is Under General 'Settings.

How Do you like the Pro Model ?  Did you purchase the Mount extenders for the Pro or did you Improvise something else.  I am  very close to getting the I pad Pro as well .

Clearing the Cache and Enableing Hardware Decode should help.  Please let me know so I or we can help others in the same boat.  Also I would suggest the 32 channel update if you can in your country .  It is very simple with apple systems , I have the file if needed and there are tutorials on you tube .  You just go through I tunes to do it, takes 5 minutes once you have done it once.  

donnie
2016-6-5
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

TravisSRT Posted at 2016-5-30 14:09
Thanks Rich!  I'll try that, so I just tested it on my standard x3 Inspire and it's not nearly as ba ...

You need to use a more powerful computer .  The minis just wont cut it on the X5.  You must go up to the I- Pad Air  for the least amount of latency.  There was a compariosn and the Apple I pad air had the least amount of lag than any other system.

good luck - donnie

At the very least ( On the Mini )  Enable the "Hardware Decode" on the Go App, it will take some of the load off the processor.  Be sure top clear the Video cache as well.

2016-6-5
Use props
markaguille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

Donnie Posted at 2016-6-5 20:17
Mark,
     It is on the Go-Ap under "General Settings "    It is just below the Measurement Unit fo ...

Must have been taken off Android atm. Maybe they'll put it back when they update the app, all I get under Measurement Units is youtube streaming option.
2016-6-5
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

markaguille Posted at 2016-6-5 14:44
Must have been taken off Android atm. Maybe they'll put it back when they update the app, all I ge ...

Be sure to check all the Nooks and Crannies .  Odd they would not have it on both.  Must be a reason

Cheers- donnie
2016-6-5
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Donnie Posted at 2016-6-5 16:33
You need to use a more powerful computer .  The minis just wont cut it on the X5.  You must go ...

The statement regarding Minis is not accurate, the iPad Mini is very capable, maybe if you refear to the Mini 2 but 3 and specifically 4 is very powerful. If you have many other apps running there might be an issue on the lesser versions.
I am using mine on my Inspire Pro and can run it with screen recording (Shou) as well as cashing video at the same time without issues.
2016-6-5
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2016-6-5 21:02
The statement regarding Minis is not accurate, the iPad Mini is very capable, maybe if you refear t ...

Just listing other's experiences Cougar ,   I am glad Yours works.

It very well  could be the Mini 1 & 2 .  Thanks for letting me know the Mini 4 works well

Cheers - donnie

2016-6-6
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Donnie Posted at 2016-6-6 07:06
Just listing other's experiences Cougar ,   I am glad Yours works.

It very well  could be the Mini ...

No problem at all, the Mini 4 actually outpaces the iPad Air. It is a personal choice, some people want larger screen size but this comes with weight as well as battery life as the larger screen uses more power. Another factor can be price for some users.

The pro version would be great choice if a larger screen is preferred. For smaller footprint the Mini 4 is great and handles the Inspire Pro with X5 with ease.  
2016-6-6
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2016-6-6 05:57
No problem at all, the Mini 4 actually outpaces the iPad Air. It is a personal choice, some people ...

Just curious is "Cougar 1 " like a women or Like "Cougar 1 "  Like  "Goose " Maverick "  Cougar "Top Gun or does it just mean "Cougar "

Donnie ,  by the way , Just to play fair : My Name is Donald, my whole life even at age 52 people still call me "Donnie "
2016-6-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

TravisSRT Posted at 2016-5-31 09:07

When you switched controllers did you switch devices as well or use the same device?
2016-6-6
Use props
flighttime1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 906352 ft
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-6-6 04:53
Just curious is "Cougar 1 " like a women or Like "Cougar 1 "  Like  "Goose " Maverick "  Cougar "To ...

Donnie... Just to reconfirm. iPad mini 4 works like a charm with my I1P. And.... if you're 52 and that's a recent pic, Damn.
2016-6-6
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

flighttime1 Posted at 2016-6-6 13:09
Donnie... Just to reconfirm. iPad mini 4 works like a charm with my I1P. And.... if you're 52 and  ...

I must have heard all the grief about the I pad mini  1 and 2 and  bundled then all  up in my mind .  I will make a mental  note that the Mini 4  is A -ok !
I age like fine wine ...... Old picture, same guy, little less hair , add about 20lbs. I was in my prime here , bout 25 years old .  
I will post a more recent pic,.......... somone wondered what I looled like so I posted that one .  

donnie

2016-6-6
Use props
ayrshireuav
lvl.3
Flight distance : 957297 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Donnie Posted at 2016-6-5 20:24
Be sure to enable the "Hardware Decode " on the Go App , It is Under General 'Settings.

How Do you ...

Hi Donnie,

Thanks for the advice. I have changed the settings like you said. I don't know what the 32 channel thing is you mentioned though.  I love the IPad Pro. The speed itself is excellent. I use it on my tripod but I do have an extended clip for the tx controller. I bought it from Aero3D in the UK. HIghly recommend them. Thanks for the help.
2016-6-7
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

ayrshireuav Posted at 2016-6-7 04:03
Hi Donnie,

Thanks for the advice. I have changed the settings like you said. I don't know what th ...

Do not worry about the 32 channel update if you are getting good reception .  It is just an option that is out there and I do have the file to update it. The file is getting very hard to find.  If you wish , go to you Tube and type in:  DJI 32 Channel Update Hack " this will give more info.  sounds like yours is working fine now so dont worry if you dont do this.

I was getting some dodgey video in my area and the 32 channel update remedied this straight away.  

donnie

2016-6-7
Use props
photosbyhelo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 263196 ft
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-6-7 08:29
Do not worry about the 32 channel update if you are getting good reception .  It is just an option  ...

Donnie, see you are online - I'm having issues with video transmission after updating to 1.8.1.00  

Do you know why this is a factor, posted by someone else on this forum:  
Update the Bird first. Do this with the Remote OFF. Critical!!
Then update the RC from the app."

I did upgrade AC first but had transmitter on when I did it.  Upgraded RC after.
2016-6-12
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

photosbyhelo Posted at 2016-6-12 07:28
Donnie, see you are online - I'm having issues with video transmission after updating to 1.8.1.00   ...

What can happen sometimes is that the 'Video Transmission Module" can become corrupted, this does not always happen and I am not sure why , but it can if you have the RC Transmitter on when updating the Aircraft. ( conflicting data from the RC and the Update perhaps, not sure 100% , I just know it can screw it up )

Also be sure to always delete the SD card so that you dont have the update in the bird and turn on the aircraft, wipe the SD card and format it, I keep my format SD seperate of my Recording SD cards )

The best way to see if this is indeed the problem is to re -load 1.8 to the Aircraft ( Just Like you did originally )    This will only take a short period of time because it is already loaded, then take the SD card out and read the hidden files.  I will leave a link to how to do this.  I hope you have a PC, if you have a MAC you must look online for directions to view hidden files. ( MAKE SURE RC IS OFF THIS TIME )

Once you do that , if you have on line 0800 and 1500 "No Device Detected " then you must send it in for repair, I have not seen any rollback work to fix this.

Before we get to worried, are you updated on both the aircraft and the RC Transmitter ?  If you are not the system wont work either, so make sure you are updated and then do the hidden file procedure and get back to me.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-44546-1-1.html

Hope this helps

donnie

2016-6-12
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

photosbyhelo Posted at 2016-6-12 07:28
Donnie, see you are online - I'm having issues with video transmission after updating to 1.8.1.00   ...

Also read this when you have time and BEFORE  any more updates. Might help in the future

http://forum.dji.com/thread-45630-1-1.html

donnie

2016-6-12
Use props
photosbyhelo
lvl.1
United States

I formatted the SD card in the aircraft (left transmitter off).  Then using PC, I put the latest 1.08.01.00 update on SD and reinstalled in AC.  Pretty much just did normal looking initialization and got the fast flashing light on back of AC.  Think this is to be expected as it didn't have to update anything.

Took SD out and read hidden files as instructed in your link above.  Thankfully, I did not have the "no device detected" message anywhere (looked at all the lines from yesterday's install to when I just did it again.

Latest lines say:
[08 00][00] v2.14.9.26->v2.14.9.26
[15 00][00] v1.1.2.0 ->v1.1.2.0

And, when I did the initial update yesterday, these two lines said the exact same thing
2016-6-12
Use props
Alastair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
Canada

Donnie Posted at 2016-6-5 15:24

How Do you ...

If you discover that the Hardware Decode  is already on, then try turning it off.   When I first bought my inspire, I read a post that iOS devices did not need hardware decode enabled.  I have never turned it on and have had zero issues with my iPad Air 2.
2016-6-12
Use props
photosbyhelo
lvl.1
United States

I was using iPad mini 4.   The hardware decode was on.  Though, I too never had a single issue until this latest update.
2016-6-12
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

photosbyhelo Posted at 2016-6-12 09:09
I was using iPad mini 4.   The hardware decode was on.  Though, I too never had a single issue until ...

So where do you stand now ?  do you have live video or No ?   Thank God you  dont have that "Device not Detected " when you read the file from the log it reads "Success" correct ?
Make bloody sure that you are always udating the correct FW with the correct Aircraft, I have seen that haapen before because even though the Version numbers are the same , the data is different for each aircraft.  

In other words if you have the Inspire 1 make sure you are not loading the Pro or Phantom Versions of FW.

donnie

2016-6-12
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Alastair Posted at 2016-6-12 08:41
If you discover that the Hardware Decode  is already on, then try turning it off.   When I first b ...

Hardware decode  will help when pushing the processor to the max, If you have it enabled it cant hurt anything and just takes some of the load off the processor.  I have never seen it hurt and only help.  It is very useful when getting a lot of cutting in and out of the video signal.
You never know though, we can always try  to dis able and then re- enable as well if no improvement .  
Thank you for the input , appreciate it.  (Many hands lighten the load )

Cheers -donnie

2016-6-12
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

photosbyhelo Posted at 2016-6-12 09:09
I was using iPad mini 4.   The hardware decode was on.  Though, I too never had a single issue until ...

Can you still take pictures and video ? Just no image on the screen ?  Give that a try , that will let me know if the problem is in the camera or elsewhere.  You can just do it on the ground and see if it works

donnie
2016-6-12
Use props
photosbyhelo
lvl.1
United States

Yes, I did have the 'Success' message after the updates each time I did them.

I deleted and reloaded the DJI Go app after doing what I said above.  
The fix was successful.  Thanks for the assist.  Video is back to proper operation, no hesitations, no weak signal messages.

As I had several suggestions related to this issue from others, I've listed settings they said to adjust below...set to what was successful for me.

Image Transmission settings page set to following options:
Channel Mode - AUTO      (which I believe defaults to 6 MBs transmission rate.  If reloading DJI GO app to iPad mini 4 had not worked, was going to reduce to 4 MBs, which is minimum rate)
Simultaneous image output to app and HDMI - OFF
Display OSD on HDMI Output - ON

General Settings to following options:
Enable hardware decoding - ON
Video Cache - RECORDING

2016-6-12
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

photosbyhelo Posted at 2016-6-12 10:43
Yes, I did have the 'Success' message after the updates each time I did them.

I deleted and reloade ...

Just remember what I said about leaving the RC off when updating the Aircraft.

I am glad you are up and running, not sure I did anything but gald you are blue skys.  

Glad you have it sorted.  If you ever need help let me know here or at -

donaldjames1990@gmail.com

I will do my best

donnie

2016-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules