Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Go App update 2.8.3 yesterday see new Coach Mode among other ...
123Next >
9142 84 2016-6-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Coach Mode
I see something new under remote controller settings: see screen shot below  

There is a new selection called Coach Mode with a slider?  How is this used and why?

Edit See comments in this thread
Its a training option with the slave remote!!  Nice work DJI

IMG_0169.jpg
IMG_0170.jpg

Fixed an issue which may cause Phantom 4 transmission weakness. Fixed an issue which may cause the 2.7K resolution option to disappear on the Phantom 3 P /A...  So what did you fix on the Inspire1 series?  Was the transmission weakness issue fixed with the Inspire 1??

Thanks for your help and answers in advance
Rich

2016-6-2
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

??????????
2016-6-2
Use props
MichaelRoth
lvl.1
Flight distance : 288297 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

in this mode you can fly with your inspire with slave controller as like with master. when the master moves something the slave is automaticaly disabled. this is for teaching.
2016-6-2
Use props
flighttime1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 906352 ft
United States

I hadn't even noticed the update. Coach mode sounds great. I going to be training a few people in the future and that's the best possible way to get it done.
2016-6-2
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

MichaelRoth Posted at 2016-6-2 14:29
in this mode you can fly with your inspire with slave controller as like with master. when the maste ...

That's great that they have added a training (buddy system) !! I am very happy you pointed this out. DJI has not documented this feature yet anywhere that I am aware of??

Rich
2016-6-2
Use props
Henry Mo-Yung
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-6-3 13:55
That's great that they have added a training (buddy system) !! I am very happy you pointed this ou ...

Hi Rich,

Latti had tested the new Coach mode on yesterday. With the Master RC sit on the ground with Coach mode enabled, the Slave RC could start the bird with CSC, fly and land at the end. The test indicated, however, the Slave RC landing gear rising / lowering lever did not have any control of the landing gear. Below is the link of Latti's post.

https://www.google.com.hk/url?sa ... iQpWriUksmwUSAJdBPQ

Similar to what Michael pointed out, what Latti found were that when Master did not touch the stick, the Slave controlled the bird; when Master moved a stick, it overwrote the stick from the Slave and took control of the bird.

It appears DJI had finally adopted the norm of the RC aerobatic field in the past decades. Though I haven't tried it yet, but I do really appreciate it and looking forward to test it out.

Thanks DJI.

Henry
2016-6-3
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Henry Mo-Yung Posted at 2016-6-3 04:54
Hi Rich,

Latti had tested the new Coach mode on yesterday. With the Master RC sit on the ground w ...

Thank you for this information! It is great that DJI has incorporated a training mode on the Inspire (coach). Sounds like there are a few bugs... Maybe DJI could provide us with the basic instructions on how this feature should work (as designed)..

Rich
2016-6-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-6-4 03:07
Thank you for this information! It is great that DJI has incorporated a training mode on the Inspi ...

Rich,
I will see what I can find out Monday
2016-6-3
Use props
Jim09
lvl.3
United States

ah... the good old coach days... remember them well with hell's and planes...they required a cable connection between the two remotes... nice move DJI
2016-6-3
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-3 14:14
Rich,
I will see what I can find out Monday

Thanks Ken, I found this feature by accident and it would be nice if DJI can provide us with the intended guidelines for using it. My hats off to DJI for including this training feature as I know this will come in handy for giving people a hands on experience with the Inspire 1

Rich
2016-6-3
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jim09 Posted at 2016-6-3 16:48
ah... the good old coach days... remember them well with hell's and planes...they required a cable c ...

you are correct Jim, many flyers got their training using the old buddy box in the early days     The trainer was a standard feature on the radios in our hobby. Spektrum has a wireless connection for training now.

Rich
2016-6-3
Use props
SixtyMike
lvl.2
United States

Very nice!  Gave it a go this evening after some checks.  Slave wouldn't work the gear as stated above, but my oldest didn't care.
Thanks DJI
2016-6-3
Use props
str1776
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22530 ft
  • >>>
United States

MichaelRoth Posted at 2016-6-2 14:29
in this mode you can fly with your inspire with slave controller as like with master. when the maste ...

Thank you Michael Awesome  I will check this it
2016-6-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-6-4 08:57
Thanks Ken, I found this feature by accident and it would be nice if DJI can provide us with the i ...

For sure a pretty cool feature.
2016-6-3
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

SixtyMike Posted at 2016-6-3 20:22
Very nice!  Gave it a go this evening after some checks.  Slave wouldn't work the gear as stated abo ...

That is great to hear it works. I have not tried it yet. Waiting to see if  Ken and DJI will give us the basics on this feature     hopefully soon

Rich
2016-6-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-6-4 12:37
That is great to hear it works. I have not tried it yet. Waiting to see if  Ken and DJI will give  ...

It doesn't seem much to it, Henry and Michael explained it pretty well.
I'll get more details Monday
2016-6-3
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-3 21:50
It doesn't seem much to it, Henry and Michael explained it pretty well.
I'll get more details Mond ...

I get it, but maybe there are some tricks?
2016-6-3
Use props
dr. D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8699150 ft
Netherlands

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-6-4 07:10

Today I tested it. It works great. As mentioned the landing gear only raises with the Master.You can override any stick movement from the slave with the master remote. After that the 'slave' can go further on. You even can power up the slave during a flight to take control of the bird too.
One thing I didn't test is a "Combined Stick Command" on the slave.....I hope that is disabled for the Slave remote maybe DJI can tell but be warned for that!
DJI thanks for this awesome feature. It's really nice.
2016-6-4
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

dr. D Posted at 2016-6-4 05:53
Today I tested it. It works great. As mentioned the landing gear only raises with the Master.You c ...

Thanks for the feedback dr.D!!  This is awesome news and I will be experimenting with this new feature soon.
MY neighbor would like to try flying my inspire 1 and I think if he does he would like to buy one.
Rich
2016-6-4
Use props
markaguille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

Would I be correct in assuming that master could be controlling forward speed whilst slave controlled left and right movement? If so, Awesome!
2016-6-4
Use props
dr. D
lvl.4
Netherlands

markaguille Posted at 2016-6-4 18:32
Would I be correct in assuming that master could be controlling forward speed whilst slave controlle ...

No, as soon the master move the stick(s) the slave is on hold till the master put his hand off the sticks.
2016-6-4
Use props
markaguille
lvl.4
Guernsey

dr. D Posted at 2016-6-4 19:01
No, as soon the master move the stick(s) the slave is on hold till the master put his hand off the ...

So, you're saying, movement of either stick on the master will cut off the slave?
I should really check this out properly.
2016-6-4
Use props
dr. D
lvl.4
Netherlands

markaguille Posted at 2016-6-4 20:26
So, you're saying, movement of either stick on the master will cut off the slave?
I should really  ...

Yes that is correct. It really works great.
2016-6-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-6-4 13:10

No problem, I'll get the full details Monday.
2016-6-4
Use props
markaguille
lvl.4
Guernsey

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-4 22:16

Thanks Ken  
2016-6-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

No problem at all. I am curious too
2016-6-4
Use props
Henry Mo-Yung
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-5 06:06
No problem at all. I am curious too

Hi Ken, I tried out the Coach function this morning. It works as detailed above, but batteries telementry menu and aircraft settings menu are not available from the Slave RC. Not a big deal though.

The Slave RC controlled the bird flawlessly.

Thank you DJI for this feature. I'm sure many Inspire owners will share the control with their friends and DJI will eventually have more new Inspire customers.
2016-6-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Henry Mo-Yung Posted at 2016-6-5 12:00
Hi Ken, I tried out the Coach function this morning. It works as detailed above, but batteries tel ...

Last week my friend almost crashed my Inspire. He's never flown before and I thought I went high enough but he kinda froze and I had to pry the RC out of his hands.
This feature is indeed great.
2016-6-4
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-4 23:05
Last week my friend almost crashed my Inspire. He's never flown before and I thought I went high e ...

I agree , I just bought another Transmitter on E- bay for this purpose. During Flight Training   I always explain to the new Pilot  that if I say I want the Transmitter back during flight ( Beforehand of course ) that I mean I want it NOW.  

This will be much better, also if I get better at filming this will help be very beneficial .  

Great Idea DJI

donnie
2016-6-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Donnie Posted at 2016-6-6 01:12
I agree , I just bought another Transmitter on E- bay for this purpose. During Flight Training   I  ...

Ya, when people panic they get that deer in the headlights look and freeze up. If I would have been lower, the Inspire may have hit the ground
2016-6-5
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

dr. D Posted at 2016-6-4 07:53
Today I tested it. It works great. As mentioned the landing gear only raises with the Master.You c ...

Did you have to do any more than just enable coach mode and the slave worked ? You did not have to bind the other Slave Transmitter did you ?  I just purchased another RC Transmitter for this purpose and am reading all I can before I get it.

Thanks- donnie
2016-6-6
Use props
dr. D
lvl.4
Netherlands

Donnie Posted at 2016-6-6 23:01
Did you have to do any more than just enable coach mode and the slave worked ? You did not have to  ...

Hi Donnie,

Your original remote has to be the' master'.  Then put the second remote to 'Slave'  
Then you have to give the shown password in (I think) the 'slave' I'm not quite sure about that. Well it not that difficult.
You don't bind the 'Slave' to the aircraft but you make a connection  with the 'master'.
Or... Take a look at what I found on YouTube.

The 'master' stays connected to the bird so you can't go wrong with the second remote. Worst case is that it doesn't work (I think).

2016-6-6
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-4 14:16

Hey Ken

Did you get anything for us on Coach mode?  Maybe Tim is working on another animated video
(probably not for something this simple)
Rich
2016-6-6
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

dr. D Posted at 2016-6-6 16:12
Hi Donnie,

Your original remote has to be the' master'.  Then put the second remote to 'Slave'  

Brilliant, I have not done this before and like to learn all I can

thanks Dr . dD

donnie
2016-6-7
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-5 17:49
Ya, when people panic they get that deer in the headlights look and freeze up. If I would have bee ...

Just a little more information would be nice regarding the "Coach " feature.  It is just nice to know any subtle nuances from the folks at DJI.  Was there an update to the Manual yet ?  If so I may have missed it.  

Once again , I do understand the basics and will surely get by, but like Rich had said, it would be nice if there was some official Instruction on this Greatly appreciated Feature.  

Your team member, DJI  Tim does a good job of making those fun and instructional videos, this may be right up his alley .

One interesting thing I have heard from other forum Members is that you can not control the Landing gear operation while in "Coach Mode "( The slave RC )  that sounds odd as that would be a crucial learning tool for those Pilots in training.  These are the subtle things that I would like to know , are there any more that are hidden in there ?  I am familiar with buddy boxes and trainer cords and will surely get by in the meantime.  

One other thing, when there are updateds to the system and the RC tells pilots to update there system, could they add a caveat to the warning like . "Be sure to read the Update Notes Before  Updating this RC "  or something to this effect.  I think that some issues that cause members such grief could be eliminated with some extra communication and explanation.  

I realize that you  can not make these decisions yourself, but if you have some sort of way of passing thes suggestions up the chain of command that would be appreciated.

*** Many years agao  I was  at a Buick meeting and they had a "Questions for Managemant " video segment where you could ask the President of the Division anything you wanted ( Ideas,  complaints  etc. )  I asked why Blue leather was not an option  on  the Buick interiors.  I thought that Grey or espescially  Red Leather looked awful on a Blue Car. Any way they took  my Idea and Implemented it , for the next several years Blue Leather was the #2 Choice  for Leather In Park avenues and Le Sabres , Even Cadillac implemented it into there  interior color  choices.

True Story .   

So you never know, sometimes small ideas can blossom into something better.  

I know that I am the King of "Over Explaining " but I just like instructions  to be as clear as Possible .  

Thanks Ken

donnie

2016-6-7
Use props
Henry Mo-Yung
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

FURTHER UPDATES

I fired up the Master RC and Slave RC and the I1Pro in this evening to explore further on the Coach mode. Together with the test conducted on 5 Jun, listed below  are what I found so far:-

1)  With the Master enables Coach mode, the Slave RC cannot operate the gimbal with its sticks. The gimbal wheel of the Slave RC still functions though. When the Master disables Coach mode, the Slave RC sticks go back to control gimbal tilt and pan.

2) There is NO auto taking off function available to the Slave RC.

3) CSC is available to the Slave RC. The bird can take off, fly and land under the Slave RC's control. When Master moves any of its sticks, all stick commands of the Slave RC will immeidately be overridden. When both sticks of Master RC are at neutral position, the Slave RC can control the bird again.

4) Bird will lose RC control signal if Master RC is switched off even though Slave RC is remained to be switched on.

5) Both Main Controller Setting menu and Batteries Information menu are NOT available from the DJI Go App connected to the Slave RC. We cannot ascertain the IMU and Compass sensors readings nor batteries cells voltages / temperature from through the Slave RC. The batteries telementry information is shown on screen of the DJI Go App connected to the Slave RC though.

I hope the above can help us to understand more on this wonderful Coach mode, and am looking forward to seeing DJI's further elaboration!

Henry

2016-6-7
Use props
Henry Mo-Yung
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Missed out one point:-

6) The landing gear lever of the Slave RC cannot raise or lower the landing gear of the bird.

Henry
2016-6-7
Use props
Henry Mo-Yung
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-5 05:16

Hi Ken,

Inspire 1 user manual stated that when multiple Slave RCs (max of 6) are connected to the aircraft, only the first connected Slave RC is able to control the gimbal, the remaining Slave RCs can view the live feed video from the aircraft and set the camera parameters, but they cannot control the gimbal.

I would like to ask when the Master enable the Coach mode, will the first connected Slave RC be the ONLY Slave RC which can control the aircrafts? Or will any of the connected Slave RC be able control the aircrafts?

I would also like to ask in case when only the first connected Slave RC can control the aircraft under Coach mode, will any one of the remaining Slave RCs be able to become the Slave RC which can control the gimbal?

I think the answers to the above from DJI can benefit a team of production crews who will frequently practice flying and filming with the introduction of this Coach mode.

Henry
2016-6-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-6-7 20:47
Just a little more information would be nice regarding the "Coach " feature.  It is just nice to kn ...

I already sent an email to Tim to since his is at the corporate office to see if he can get detailed info.
I've already asked several times to add lots of stuff to the app, maybe in time.
And sweet story on the blue leather.
I used to be a Aerospace inspector for several years many many years ago and we once had a Japanese company come in and do a Kaizen on the whole place and a few of my suggestions got implemented as well.  makes you feel good when an entire corporation makes a change for the good because of your input
2016-6-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Henry Mo-Yung Posted at 2016-6-7 22:18
FURTHER UPDATES

I fired up the Master RC and Slave RC and the I1Pro in this evening to explore fur ...

WOW, thanks for all the testing, I am surprised that CSC works on the slave in Coach Mode. Did you find that out in the simulator. I would hate to have to be training someone who never flew anything before and they initiated a CSC.
I've already sent an email to get a full description.
2016-6-7
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules