P3A Compass Error
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rprobinette
lvl.2
Flight distance : 69 ft
United States

After calibrating my P3A I flew out to around 800 ft. and a compass error alarm came across the go app and the quad went to the atty mode. It was behind trees but I was able to get it back enough to tell the direction it was going. After bring it in closer the compass error went away and did not return the rest of the flight. I flew it back across the same pattern as befor and out to 1300 ft. With no problems. Was wondering if others were having simulator problems.  The main questions I have is if there is a compass error and I select a RTH will the quad know where the home point is without the compass working and what will happen if it doesn't know how to return.Thx for your input.
2016-6-4
Use props
dieselwind
lvl.2

United States

I've had this happen to my P3P once.  Calibrated, took off and got about a half mile away.  All of a sudden I got a compass error and automatic switch to atti mode.  Luckily I was able to bring it back, but RTH would not have worked since it switched to atti mode.  I was flying over the set of "the walking dead" safe zone.  Completely surrounded by 20ft sheet metal fencing.  I wondered if the fencing ended up throwing the compass off because I haven't had the problem before or after.  
2016-6-4
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

I've had this happen multiple times, all of those occurrences in areas with lots of interference. Almost always, if it goes away during the next 30-60 seconds, it stays gone and I can fly with a GPS lock and also do things like fly missions and do Litchi Panos (which definitely require a GPS lock).

Last week I was doing panos, launching from an area with those problems (urban city waterfront with lots of metal around), but the error eventually went away. Each time I landed (hand catch landing in times like those is definitely recommended) and swapped out batteries, then relaunched, I would get the compass error again and hover around close by to see if it went away. It always did, so I would fly off and do another pano, always without problems.

There has been a time or two in the past when I would get the compass error that wouldn't go away, so I would land quickly, then try to find another area nearby to re-launch from.

Also, at times like this, the craft may very well switch to ATTI mode and stay in that mode, not regaining a GPS lock. It is VERY useful to know how to fly ATTI in those moments, especially if there is any wind.

Chris
2016-6-4
Use props
rprobinette
lvl.2
United States

Not A Speck Of  Posted at 2016-6-4 10:10
I've had this happen multiple times, all of those occurrences in areas with lots of interference. Al ...

Will the RTH function work if there's a compass error?
2016-6-4
Use props
gullisig
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Not A Speck Of  Posted at 2016-6-4 15:10
I've had this happen multiple times, all of those occurrences in areas with lots of interference. Al ...

Chris do you also see yaw error in these logs?

Thanks
2016-6-4
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
United States

rprobinette@pin Posted at 2016-6-4 23:14
Will the RTH function work if there's a compass error?

I don't know because I've never tried RTH during compass errors. I always fly home manually in ATTI mode during such cases.

I would think that attempting an RTH with constant compass errors (those compass errors that show up and don't go away) would not be wise.

Chris
2016-6-4
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
United States

gullisig Posted at 2016-6-4 23:37
Chris do you also see yaw error in these logs?

Thanks

Hey Gullsig,

I've never had a reason to consult the logs after getting a compass error because I've never had a compass error cause a catastrophic event (crash). It either goes away, or I manage to safely land the craft and find another place to fly.

Not that I've never crashed, but it's never been due to compass errors, so in those cases, I didn't look at the logs.

Chris

Edit: I take that back: I just remember that I did have one crash due to compass errors, taking off near a VLMO (Very Large Metallic Object), but it was a quick crash from low altitude that damaged nothing, so I didn't look at logs.

2016-6-4
Use props
rprobinette
lvl.2
United States

Thx. Chris for your help. I've not had a compass error but that one time. Trying not to fly in any areas where this might occur again.
Rick
2016-6-7
Use props
Fly By Night
New
Canada

I got the compass error for the first time tonight. The RTH works. I got reconnected wjen it hot closer then landed it
2017-7-18
Use props
Fly By Night
New
Canada

Bloody typos.  When and got closer  
2017-7-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules