Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Power loss in Ocean
123Next >
4086 86 2016-6-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jason.jett
lvl.1

United States

[size=14.6667px]HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Here is the flight logs. Everyone keeps telling me to open a RMA with DJI. Would it really help. I obviously was unable to locate the drone due to it being in the ocean.
2016-6-5
Use props
markaguille
Captain
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

It certainly won't do any harm asking DJI about this however you took off with less than 100% battery (57%) so I'm guessing they won't entertain you. Pretty sure the manual says to make sure the battery is charged to 100% before flight. Did you read the manual?
2016-6-5
Use props
jason.jett
lvl.1

United States

So if I take off at 100% fly around a medivac helicopter lands so I land to avoid aircraft with a manned person in it. I wait 20 minutes for them to load the person and then take off. I then take off and the battery is at 57%. Now my expensive toy that I bought is ok to crash because i took off at 57%?
2016-6-5
Use props
markaguille
Captain
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

I know what your'e saying jason, I feel your pain. What does it say in your manual?
2016-6-5
Use props
Not A Speck Of
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

DJI isn't responsible for the conditions that caused you to land on a depleted battery. Nor are they for you taking off on a nearly 1/2 empty one.

Yesterday, crows were harassing my UAV during a PANO shoot. I tried twice, but had to use evasive maneuvers each time (no really, they were close). I landed, changed location and waited, but when I was ready to launch again, my battery was under 70%. I wasn't going to take off on another mission (which would require me to stay in the air for awhile) with that much of a depleted battery, especially given the stress I put on it avoiding those crows (lots of full-throttle evasion).

Those weren't DJI crows.

Another good case for multiple spare batteries. I carry 6, so I'm never tempted to take off on a mission with partially charged batteries. Flying around where it's easy to land if the battery suddenly gives you a critical warning is one thing, but over the ocean is a clear risk.

Edit: I am sorry for your loss though. I fly over salt water too and would be seriously bummed to see it go down.

2016-6-5
Use props
vandruten
lvl.4

Indonesia

Hi Jason, sorry for the loss, buddy.

I too did a quick pause on a flight then took off on a half full battery, just a few hours ago. I didn't know this is how the game's rolling. Hey at least someone at dji or in the forum could tell you what went wrong, not just because of our sinful take-off situation. A little help here, please.
2016-6-5
Use props
vandruten
lvl.4

Indonesia

Looks like you had four major deviations in cell #4 of your battery in the last 11 seconds of your flight. If the bird didn't go in to the water then we might be able to detect if there will be more major deviations or not. As of power use, it looked like you took it easy on the throttle and not pushing the bird hard along the 21 second, 138m flight. Battery efficiency and temperature looked good. Battery life is 100%. Ooh I wished I understand this thing better. Best wishes.

From healthydrones.com:
Major Deviations ™
Major deviation is when a cell differs more than 0.07v from the other cells.
Please note that normal batteries can have a few of these.
An abnormal battery will:
    A) Have most of the major deviations in one cell
    B) There will be multiple major deviations per minute, and more than 10 total
    C) The deviations continue longer than 1 minute
If your battery shows all symptoms (example, another) then this is considered a more severe case of an inefficient battery and may impact the battery life.
If your battery has only 1-4 instances on the same cell, don't worry too much about it. If it has 5-10 instances - then continue to track and make sure it does not degrade:
2016-6-5
Use props
labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

jason.jett@live Posted at 2016-6-6 04:01
So if I take off at 100% fly around a medivac helicopter lands so I land to avoid aircraft with a ma ...

Are you saying this is what happened or is this just a hypothetical scenario?
2016-6-5
Use props
185EZ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 396470 ft
United States

jason.jett@live Posted at 2016-6-5 11:01
So if I take off at 100% fly around a medivac helicopter lands so I land to avoid aircraft with a ma ...

Someone explained it here as to the power levels of the battery and why you shouldn't take off without a 100% battery.
Continuous flight is fine but restarting and taking off can put the battery at low levels.
I don't have the technical explanation so don't flame me.
This is why I liked my old FC40. Put in a battery and fly it
2016-6-5
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry for your loss, Jason. I'd suggest you to sync your flight record and get in touch with our tech support via support.us@dji.com.
2016-6-5
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.4

Hong Kong

It would be helpful to contact DJI, because if the crash is (partly) because of a faulty battery, they will properly compensate you.
2016-6-6
Use props
rodger
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

185EZ Posted at 2016-6-5 21:31
Someone explained it here as to the power levels of the battery and why you shouldn't take off wit ...

I think the issue here is that the battery had not been recharged to 100% Before the flight. I could be wrong.
The recommended practice is to recharge your battery before flight if it has been three days since the last charge. to bring it up to full capacity. The LED's only give you a voltage reading. The voltage can be at 100% and yet the current available is much lower than 100% and when you put a load on the battery it will drop off rapidly.
2016-6-6
Use props
skipilot1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1557398 ft

rodger Posted at 2016-6-6 19:40
I think the issue here is that the battery had not been recharged to 100% Before the flight. I cou ...

Before flying, it seems best to check your sensor readings (there are posts about normal readings) and check the battery status on the GO app. Whatever machine you are flying whether it is a drone or a plane, power consumption can rise 30 percent or more while taking off and ascending to cruise altitude.

For instance, a small plane that cruises at 10 gallons per hour will consume 15 to 17 gallons per hour on take off and ascent. Pilots have to calculate this into their flight planning. Drone pilots also need to be aware of this. My flights are not as long as some other folks because I have to fly high to keep my radio link due to tall dense trees and hills. That means higher battery drain during a long ascent.

The manual states you should not take off unless the battery is at 100 per cent. That is not always possible so I might take off as low as 90 per cent., but never less and usually not less than 95 to 97 per cent. If you land and want to take off again ar 57 per cent then your bird should be staying close to home and not be over water.

If your battery is damaged you can still rely on the app but it will drain faster so you always need to keep an eye on how fast it is draining and compensate. Obviously, if one of your cells is not maintaining its voltage, then you are relying more on three cells instead of four and it will drain quicker.

I am sorry for your loss and if your battery is defective then DJI might help you out somehow.
2016-6-6
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your bird is gone because DJI believes that it's better to sacrifice a 5000 dollar drone to save a 200 dollar battery. in some ways there a lot like Scientology.
2016-6-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

You should call and see if DJI can do anything.
Also, I can review the flight record to see if i see anything not normal., you need to sync your flight records and provide your email.
2016-6-6
Use props
quint7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 518455 ft
  • >>>
United States

1) What occurred on your normal Go app in the recording of the flight? Did you get an out of battery warning, return home? Or did it just disappear? Did it say it was landing?

2) How long was the flight before this you mentioned? (available in your flight records.)

Q

2016-6-6
Use props
jason.jett
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-6 17:21
You should call and see if DJI can do anything.
Also, I can review the flight record to see if i see ...

my email is jason.jett@live.com I synced them. They said because I wasnt the original purchaser they cant help me because I dont have the priginal receipt. Im just upset about it.
2016-6-10
Use props
jason.jett
lvl.1

United States

quint7 Posted at 2016-6-6 17:23
1) What occurred on your normal Go app in the recording of the flight? Did you get an out of battery ...

it did not make any sounds or give any warnings. It just fell. Total flight was 21 seconds
2016-6-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

jason.jett@live Posted at 2016-6-11 09:57
my email is  I synced them. They said because I wasnt the original purchaser they cant help me bec ...

Jason,
I looked at the flight and I cannot see any issues with anything that would cause your crash except that at 24 seconds it just quits.
I see you already have a ticket and let me talk to management Monday to see what can be done.
As I do not work in the repair center so I cannot authorize anything but I do believe you will be helped out and I will talk to them Monday to see at what extent that can be.
Thank you for not coming here and creating this thread, and yes as I can it it will help by contacting DJI and even more than that is the fact that you did not come here kicking and screaming and demanding your aircraft replaced or your going to sue
I really appreciate you being so great about it and I will go to bat for you because of how you are handling it.
I will get back to you on Monday, enjoy the weekend an I'm sorry it's without your P3.
I just saw your post saying that you weren't the original purchaser, let me see if there's anything I can do.
2016-6-10
Use props
jason.jett
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-11 00:24
Jason,
I looked at the flight and I cannot see any issues with anything that would cause your cras ...

Thank you so much. I get that I wasnt the original purchaser. However since purchasing this drone a guy in my town has bought two dji drones. One standard and one advanced. He owns a company and has now applied for a 333. I have other Moms in my town who ask me everyday what type of drone I have and ask for my advice. I always recommend DJI. The other day I had to post on facebook that I lost my drone in the ocean and everyone is asking me about if they should consider a different drone. I keep telling them they just need to read the manuals obout it and be aware of how to operate the drone. I am explaining to them about proper warm up and starting up. Making sure the battery is warm and other things. If they cant replace it atleast I could maybe get 50% off or something. Or whatever they can do. I just want to get back flying and show people how great DJI's products are.
2016-6-11
Use props
richmars
Second Officer
Flight distance : 209537 ft
United Kingdom

jason.jett@live Posted at 2016-6-11 15:20
Thank you so much. I get that I wasnt the original purchaser. However since purchasing this drone  ...

From the HealthyDrones data for your earlier flights, cell 4 had been giving problems for a while. As vandruten says above, this happened again on your last flight. But without the drone, it's not easy to say why it crashed.
2016-6-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

jason.jett@live Posted at 2016-6-11 22:20
Thank you so much. I get that I wasnt the original purchaser. However since purchasing this drone  ...

I will let you know Monday, I'm not sure what they will do for you. It could be nothing to a big discount. Without the proof of purchase I don't know if anything can be done but I will see.
One thing for the future, you really need to be on the latest firmware updates. There was a battery management update that if it was a battery error it would have been prevented.
You should have never taken off with that low of a battery and especially since it had been sitting for a few days since your last flight. In the future, when you are done flying charges the batteries up. If you don't fly for a while they will automatically discharge.
And when flying in the cold, hover for 30 seconds or so to get the battery warmed up.
2016-6-11
Use props
jason.jett
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-11 14:01
I will let you know Monday, I'm not sure what they will do for you. It could be nothing to a big d ...

Yep I def will. The temp was about 95 degrees and I will hover int he future. I will also charge fully. ALso I will make sure I read over the flight manuals. I hope for at least a big discount. If i get that I will most def purchase a dji product. Thanks for your help. Look forward to an email or thread comment on Monday. Have a great weekend.
2016-6-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

jason.jett@live Posted at 2016-6-12 02:58
Yep I def will. The temp was about 95 degrees and I will hover int he future. I will also charge f ...

You too, I will let you know Monday or you will receive an email from DJI.
2016-6-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

jason.jett@live Posted at 2016-6-12 02:58
Yep I def will. The temp was about 95 degrees and I will hover int he future. I will also charge f ...

Jason,
I've talked to the department in charge and they still have to have your flight reviewed by the data analysis team, BUT you may be good.
I'll let you know.
2016-6-13
Use props
Cessna172
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-13 16:54
Jason,
I've talked to the department in charge and they still have to have your flight reviewed by ...

That sounds like a warranty approval to me  

Awesome !

Before you diss DJI, be reasonable, present your case and try the friendly approach.   
They probably would prefer to keep their customers.
2016-6-13
Use props
jason.jett
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-13 16:54
Jason,
I've talked to the department in charge and they still have to have your flight reviewed by ...

No problem! I appreciate you even taking the time to see about doing what you can. Again thank you! I do understand that there are no guarantees. but I do want to be hopeful LOL
2016-6-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

jason.jett@live Posted at 2016-6-14 05:37
No problem! I appreciate you even taking the time to see about doing what you can. Again thank you ...

Jason,
I forgot about something (Proof of Purchase)
I went to bat for you and am able to get you another aircraft and battery free of charge, BUT they are requiring the proof of purchase.
You need to get it somehow, or somehow that the sale from whomever you bought it from can be tied to that person who originally bought it from DJI or another dealer.
Do what you can to get the of proof of purchase (and it was originally bought withing the warranty period 1yr ) and you'll have another aircraft sent to you.
Also, others take note. If you are courtous and not being unreasonable I will do what I can to help those people even if they are fully or partially to blame for the crash.
2016-6-13
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-13 14:44
Jason,
I forgot about something (Proof of Purchase)
I went to bat for you and am able to get you an ...

Wow that is awesome Ken!!

Rich
2016-6-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-6-14 05:53
Wow that is awesome Ken!!

Rich

I do what I can
2016-6-13
Use props
jason.jett
lvl.1

United States

I am very appreciative. I have contacted the guy and he said he dont have their number. I have screen shots and messages to confirm. I am also trying to see if I can get the serial number from the p3p I was told if I can find that dji would know where it was purchased at. Can it be retrieved from the flight logs?
2016-6-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

jason.jett@live Posted at 2016-6-14 06:08
I am very appreciative. I have contacted the guy and he said he dont have their number. I have scr ...

Yes, I have your serial number and camera serial number. You just need to match it up with a proof of purchase. When you said the guy you bough it from doesn't have their number, which number is that.
2016-6-13
Use props
jason.jett
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-13 21:12
Yes, I have your serial number and camera serial number. You just need to match it up with a proof ...

their phone number. I am the third owner. The guy I got it from traded the guy who bought it for something. He is searching his phone records now to see if I can get his number so we can see where he bought it from. Can you email me the serial number? jason.jett@live.com
2016-6-13
Use props
jason.jett
lvl.1

United States

jason.jett@live Posted at 2016-6-13 21:37
their phone number. I am the third owner. The guy I got it from traded the guy who bought it for s ...

or just to see if he has the receipt. If I cannot find proof of purchase would they give me a big discount on a new one.. I mean I def want to try and recover my full loss on the p3p but i am worried he cant find the number to the guy who originally bought it. I had no clue this could even be an issue.
2016-6-13
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.4

Hong Kong

Oh, yeah. Free replacement!
2016-6-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

jason.jett@live Posted at 2016-6-14 09:39
or just to see if he has the receipt. If I cannot find proof of purchase would they give me a big  ...

Jason,
You really need to find some kind of proof of purchase.
It's the difference of a new aircraft and battery at no charge with the proof of purchase, OR possibly no discount at all without the proof of purchase.
So it's totally up to you what happens.
2016-6-13
Use props
jason.jett
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-13 22:00
Jason,
You really need to find some kind of proof of purchase.
It's the difference of a new aircra ...

ok. were you able to send me the serial number? jason.jett@live.com
2016-6-13
Use props
jason.jett
lvl.1

United States

jason.jett@live Posted at 2016-6-13 22:02
ok. were you able to send me the serial number?

or I guess from my understanding that dji can tell where it is sold from if they have the serial number. Is that the case?
2016-6-13
Use props
labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

jason.jett@live Posted at 2016-6-14 12:06
or I guess from my understanding that dji can tell where it is sold from if they have the serial n ...

If you have the box, the numbers are on the stickers with the bar codes
2016-6-13
Use props
jason.jett
lvl.1

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-6-13 22:37
If you have the box, the numbers are on the stickers with the bar codes

great I do have the box
2016-6-13
Use props
123Next >