OSMO Video / Audio Sync / Drift Problems
3560 8 2016-6-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
info7050
New

United States

This is an issue I have see other people post but I have not found a solution for.  After reviewing video shot on the OSMO the video and audio slowly get out of sync.  Here is what I have and have tested so far.  I have 2 OSMO handels, X3 camera & X5 camera.  1 Mini Rode mic accesory.  All combinations with internal mic and external mic reproduce the same problem.  I have also recorded sound on a external h4n Zoom mic at the same time.  After putting the OSMO file and the h4n Zoom audio file into Final Cut Pro X the audio files from the OSMO and the h4n Zoom line up exactly the same.  So it seems to be a problem with the video recording running about 1/2 second off over each 9 minute clip and not the audio.  I have used the h4n to record audio while using a variety of other video cameras and it always works perfectly.   So my question to DJI or anyone else.  Is there a firmware solution or any other solution coming for this problem?  I love everything about the OSMO and its a great grab and go tool for a lot of situations.  However this seem to be a completely unacceptable defect.  The problem is with the video running off and not the audio running off  so I can't even use a external mic to solve the problem.  Thoughts and ideas welcome thank you.

Brett Campbell
Fable Photo & Video
2016-6-8
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I don't think that I've seen this problem reported before.

There was a problem with the audio going out of sync with the video some time ago:

— but that was fixed in the last firmware update.

Check that your firmware is up-to-date.
2016-6-9
Use props
Dave A
lvl.2
United States

Brett, are all your video capture device shooting at the same FPS and framerate? That is the only other thing I could think of that would cause the video to be out of sync.

2016-6-9
Use props
info7050
New

LenMiddx, Yes that is exactly the problem I am experiencing.  I have checked my firmware and the X3 is up to date.  The X5 is up to date when it is attached to one OSMO handle however when it is attached to the other handle it says firmware unknown. I have no idea why that happens.  I do Photography & Videography as my full time job for the last 6 years and I feel I am reasonably knowledgeable but I have no solution for this.
2016-6-9
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

No, I'm afraid that I can't offer any solution as I would have thought that if you're running the latest firmware there should be no synchronization problems between Osmo's audio and video.

Interestingly, you say that the Osmo's audio and your Zoom H4n reference track are in sync.

This shouldn't always be the case, as the Osmo stops recording  for just under 2 secs when it reaches the 4.2GB file limit — and starts a new file. In a 4K environment (48K audio) that's somewhere around every 9 minutes, I think.

The Osmo's audio and video remain in step, but become out of step with an audio reference track.

Maybe dji can offer some advice?

2016-6-9
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

info7050 Posted at 2016-6-10 01:48
LenMiddx, Yes that is exactly the problem I am experiencing.  I have checked my firmware and the X3  ...

Hello.
In your Osmo Pro firmware, if there's no functional problem but a "umknown" firmware version display issue, it should be OK. Well, to solve the "unknown" display issue, please download the bin file in below Dropbox link:
https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=(for+fixing+the+1.1.0.11+issue)OSMO_FC550_FW_V01.01.00.20.bin
(Please remember to remove the prefix "(for+fixing+the+1.1.0.11+issue)" when extracting the bin file to the SD card)
The audio and video synchronization issue has been fixed in the latest Osmo, Osmo Pro and Osmo Raw firmware. If you need further help about this issue, please upload the original files to Dropbox so that our engineers can help to have a look.

Thanks.
2016-6-11
Use props
QNjw8NTZJz7D
New

United States

We purchased a single Osmo to evaluate on one of our shows recently.  Our post team experienced the same issue as described above - the video looses time and sync with external audio recordings.  It may have to do with the creation of sub-clips, but it makes the product unusable for professional applications except as a source for mos b-roll.  Unfortunately, field producers tend not to consider these issues for post - so I'd be wary of bulk purchasing even for b-roll use.  We have about 20 shows running, and plenty of folks are excited about this camera.  But until this issue is resolved, I can't endorse investing in these units.  I assume this is a known issue, DJI do you have a timeline for when I should look back into these?
Thanks
2016-8-31
Use props
LoganRO
New
Romania

Just to let you know that I had the same issue with audio sync.
I've tested some settings and now is OK.

My SOLUTION:
I shot only on 1080 25fps/50fps or 4k 25fps/50fps.

I hope this will help somebody
2017-5-24
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

QNjw8NTZJz7D Posted at 2016-8-31 10:34
We purchased a single Osmo to evaluate on one of our shows recently.  Our post team experienced the same issue as described above - the video looses time and sync with external audio recordings.  It may have to do with the creation of sub-clips, but it makes the product unusable for professional applications except as a source for mos b-roll.  Unfortunately, field producers tend not to consider these issues for post - so I'd be wary of bulk purchasing even for b-roll use.  We have about 20 shows running, and plenty of folks are excited about this camera.  But until this issue is resolved, I can't endorse investing in these units.  I assume this is a known issue, DJI do you have a timeline for when I should look back into these?
Thanks

Other than these issues, you also consider whether support is prompt and responsive for your professional demand. To my mind, it is not, you can read on this forum about it.
2017-5-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules