Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
MOV file Corrupted
6008 23 2016-6-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Vico Vishaan
New

Maldives

HI...
My P4 records the file in MOV format but it cannot be played by any player. I'm using Sandisk 64Gb Class 10 Micro SD card. Before I have recorded videos in MOV and those files works perfectly. But the files that are recorded lately can't be played. Some players say corrupted file and other players error is missing codec.

Anyone have any idea about this?

Thank you,

2016-6-10
Use props
labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The problem is probably with your software, not the Phantom.
Get VLC media player or something similar.
Your Phantom can also record in .mp4 format, you can change that  in settings.
2016-6-11
Use props
lpfreeking976
lvl.1
Flight distance : 131224 ft

I am not sure what you mean by recorded mov played ok before.
  I had similar issues trying to shoot in 4K.  I don't have any way to play back 4K.  1080P had file issues on my tablet using built in android player, works OK at 1080P using some down load players but not all.
  So I recommend trying 1080P or below to check out pr9blem.
2016-6-11
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello Vico, it is recommended to use the VLCPlayer or PotPlayer to try again. If this MOV file is totally corrupted, you may need some video repairing software to fix it.
2016-6-11
Use props
Vico Vishaan
New

Maldives

Hi... I'm using VLC Player. when I go to on board memory in dji app all the videos are in pink colour and it doesn't play on the device. And I did try one repairing software but it didn't work.

lpfreeking976... I want 4K video...
2016-6-17
Use props
TheodoreRex
Flight distance : 686975 ft
United States

I have  problems and only begin in October 2016. Everything seems to work well, until I take the card out and move it to my Mac, then I cannot copy the files, and then the directory structure starts to break down    I can usually copy one or two files over, but the first time I had a file greater than 2 GB all the rest of the files become corrupted and uncopiable. I've tried multiple data recovery tools and multiple video file repair systems. None of them work. This is a new problem starting less than a month ago, that occurs across different brands of SD cards, different computers, different adapters

Keywords:  ERROR 36, corrupted files, damaged video, copy errors, SD card problems, lost & broken files
2016-11-10
Use props
justme
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Unfortunately it looks like you don't have anything powerful enough to run or display 4K. I have a 4K tv but my laptop isn't good enough to play it
2016-11-10
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

TheodoreRex Posted at 2016-11-10 23:09
I have  problems and only begin in October 2016. Everything seems to work well, until I take the car ...

Just to clarify, do you use a SD card adapter when trying to extract the files or do you connect the gimbal directly?
2016-11-10
Use props
TheodoreRex
United States

Missing Files . . . Found?

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-11-10 10:08
Just to clarify, do you use a SD card adapter when trying to extract the files or do you connect t ...

My work flow had been this:

1. Fly (wait 30 seconds after landing to turn off)
2. Remove Micro SD Card.  Use Adapter that came with Card (SD/SDHC/SDXC compatible)
3. Copy Files.  
4. Reformat Card

Macintosh.  Until Oct 22, everything worked flawlessly.  Sure, DJI is a Technology in Progress, but the Files Transfer wasn't a big deal.  Then. . . it. . . all. . . changed. . .

Since Oct 22, I've had nothing but problems.  Went to CostCo and bought 3 new SD cards (SanDisk U-1 rated. . . 64Gig & 2x32Gig. . . and Nothing. . . Worked. . . The. . . Same. . . Again. . .

Really can't explain it.  Ended up BUYING a Recovery Program (EASEUS Data RECOVERY $40 on sale). . . recovered my .JPG's but NO Videos.  Tried various repair programs. . .no dice.

Religiously keeping my video's under 2 gigs. . . REFORMATTING IN THE BIRD. . .  (one person said that the MAC formatted the SD Card incorrectly. . .).  I was at the Columbia River and got BEAUTIFUL Video. . . which all died upon plugging SD Card into the MAC (or PC. . . same effect).  

Finally, out of desperation. . . I tried downloading from directly attaching the PHANTOM 4 directly. . . went like this:

*  Inserted Card
  *  Turned ON Phantom 4 (waited 1 minute)
  *  USB Into MAC. . . "PHOTOS" Started. . . couldn't find images to import.

Powered down Phantom 4. . . then,   * opened DJI Assistant 2,
  * Repowered Phantom 4. . . Waited 1 minute, then
  * inserted USB cord.

DJI ASSISTANT Identified the Phantom 4. . . Apple's PHOTOS Opened up. . . and showed my files!!!

I was able to import almost all of my files.  Ended up losing 3 videos and 2 JPGs. . .

Now. . . this SD CARD had been in a PC, and a MAC, and been through a RECOVERY Program. . . it was TOAST!!!  Now, my Photos and Videos are showing.  I know what the problem is. . .

DJI is using it's own file system... there are HIDDEN FOLDERS on the SD Card... some of those must contain information necessary for proper file function.  Professional Recovery Software found weird Folders... but couldn't restore my files.  Putting the card into the DJI Phantom 4 got me my files back (most of them)... DJI's doing something funky.  Whatever update was installed (Firmware or Software) it either *forgot* to close out the files upon power-down... or something else...  but it's not compatilbe with PC or MAC.  

DJI's gotta fix this.  I can't be the only person with this problem.

2016-11-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

TheodoreRex Posted at 2016-11-11 18:14

'DJI is using it's own file system... there are HIDDEN FOLDERS on the SD Card... some of those must contain information necessary for proper file function.  Professional Recovery Software found weird Folders... but couldn't restore my files.  Putting the card into the DJI Phantom 4 got me my files back (most of them)... DJI's doing something funky.  Whatever update was installed (Firmware or Software) it either *forgot* to close out the files upon power-down... or something else...  but it's not compatilbe with PC or MAC. '

DJI are not using their own file system, it is a standard FAT32 based file system. There is nothing wrong with having hidden folders on a card either. Your real problem is that you are using a Mac to try and do this, which handles the Windows file system very poorly.

File recovery software is not necessary either, and more than likely added to your problems. Your best option is to connect the aircraft via the USB and copy the files off that way. Once you have them on your computer, format the card in the aircraqft ready for next time.

I also wonder if you are remembering to switch off record when you land the aircraft, because if you don't you will leave files on the card which cannot be read.

2016-11-11
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

TheodoreRex Posted at 2016-11-11 15:14

I would concur with Geebax that this would be more to do with your Mac's ability to read FAT32. If you try importing the files on a PC, you might not experience that same issue. Turning off the aircraft prior to stopping a recording could also contribute to some files remaining corrupted even after plugging in the aircraft to the computer. Connecting the aircraft directly would be more effective in transferring the files on a MAC in general. You do not need to use a recovery program.

Because you mentioned that you were able to import on a MAC prior without incident, I would like some additional information. Have you performed any updates on your MAC recently? Did you notice this after a firmware update or a hard landing to the aircraft?
2016-11-11
Use props
TheodoreRex
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-11-11 00:33
'DJI is using it's own file system... there are HIDDEN FOLDERS on the SD Card... some of those must ...

GeeBax,

I hear what you're saying.  But there are two problems:

1. Recording is ALWAYS stopped before landing.  The Power is turned off usually in under 30 seconds after landing.

2. Don't be Hatin' on Macs.  It is not a Mac problem.  I've been using PC Formatted cards in my Mac for years. . . as DJI is not the only camera I use that also uses FAT32/ExFat formats.

You'd have to see the problem to really understand how weird and frustrating this is. . . you power down the drone, take it home, and in the comfort of your own home, remove the MicroSD Card, put it into your SD Card Adapter that came with the SD Card. . . then watch as all of your files are corrupted. . . then start disappearing.

THIS ALSO HAPPENS ON THE PC.

Have a Windows 10 desktop that experienced similar problems. . . though I got to copy off a few more files before the rest were lost.  

During my Data "Recovery" I discovered several "hidden" (previously clean formatted SD card, these files came FROM the DJI Phantom 4). . . folders.  This contained information about various files, the "SNAPSHOT" photos used for Flight Routes, some GPS Datafiles. . . etc.  This do not show up when put into a MAC or PC.  
2016-11-14
Use props
TheodoreRex
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-11-11 12:31
I would concur with Geebax that this would be more to do with your Mac's ability to read FAT32. If ...

I've been reading ExFAT SD Cards in my mac for years, and from this particular Phantom 4 drone since May. . .  so I really can't explain how my Mac would suddenly decide that this was something new. . . Can't explain it.

HERE IS A THEORY (again, no documentation, so I have to go with experimentation/observation). . .

A. Fly an Afternoon with excellent light capturing wonderful video
B. Insert MicroSD Card into a SD Adapter with the "LOCK" on (can't change SD card)
C. Watch the file structure get corrupted, lose 100% of afternoons work
D. Attempt Recovery on MAC (fail)
E. Attempt Recovery on PC (fail)
F. Try to repair the broken video files. . . slow, tedious, and also a failure
G. pause. . . take a breath. . .
H. Reinsert the card into the Phantom 4 and by plugging it directly into MAC, get back all files.

This tells you something.  I already figured out DJI uses hidden folders & metadata. . . now I'm figuring out that the way it write the file is in a Non-Standard format.  And THAT solves the problem.

My thinking is this. . .  DJI is writing a large file to the MicroSD card in flight. . . that files is being buffered on the card. . . and can't be "finalized" (EOR - end of record) and the meta-data written to the file "on the fly" (bad pun). . .. so . . . it does it when it can.  That being, upon landing. . . or when not recording.

It's difficult to explain without a diagram. . . but basically DJI's writing the VIDEO data directly to the card. . .then, modifying that file/rewriting that file with HEADER/METADATA (such as CODEC, GPS info).  The re-writning of a large file can't be done quickly so it may leave a "nub" file that it will finish up later.

MY BEHAVIOR may be different than yours. . . I used to take longer 3-8 minute videos. . . but as I become more comfortable, I reverted to my Terrestrial Habits of taking 20-50 second videos of "what I needed".  This means I may have 80 photos and 20 videos when I land.  These don't all get "finalized" in the 30 seconds before I turn the Bird off. . . and as a result, become unreadable messes for the PC and MAC operating system.  These Fragmented Files (missing Headers/metadata) are the wrong size based upon the disc map (BAM). . . so the OS thinks they're disc errors. . . and it deletes them (by freeing up the data track). . . this explains the almost ANIMATED way they disappear. . . first a few disappear, then a few more. . . then the whole folder is empty.  It's crazy.

When I let the BIRD SIT 2-3 minutes. . . all the files are finalized. . . and can be read.  Previously I'd have 2-4 videos per flight. . . now I get >15 routinely.

Also. . . plugging the card BACK INTO the Phantom. . . then using the Cable. . . allows the File Fragments to be finalized. . . and become playable.  I can think of no other rational explanation . . .  or I could go with the mystical "DJI doesn't like MAC's". . . which I can't get my head around.   

MY NEW SYSTEM:1. Fly Normal... Take Pictures/Video as I see fit.  Stop recording before landing.
2. After Landing be in no hurry to turn off the Bird
3. Only use USB Cable to get images off Bird
4. Reformat each and every time

So far, I'm 3 for 3 using this technqiue... I was 0 for 7 from 22-Oct-2016 Thru 9-Nov-2016 using my old working technique.
2016-11-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

TheodoreRex Posted at 2016-11-15 17:39
I've been reading ExFAT SD Cards in my mac for years, and from this particular Phantom 4 drone sin ...

Sorry, but none of that makes any sense, DJI do not write non-standard files. And as I said before, there is nothing wrong with using hidden files or folders, it is a perfectly normal file practice. The fact that you can copy the files off using a USB connection suggests that it is your computer doing the damage to the SD card.

'but basically DJI's writing the VIDEO data directly to the card. . .then, modifying that file/rewriting that file with HEADER/METADATA (such as CODEC, GPS info). '

Nope, the video stream file is not modified later adding 'metadata' or anything else. That information is contained on seperate files, not the main video file. The video file is written as the camera is recording, and not modified later other than to finalise the file when you stop recording.

As for DJI doing something shifty to the files, that is pure fantasy, otherwise this forum would be ablaze with people screaming about it.

As I said before, the Apple organisation barely ackowledges that anything other than their own file systems exists, they have never handled PC formatted files properly and most likely never will. NEVER format a card for a Phantom in a Mac, always do it in the aircraft.

What cards are you using? You mentioned Sandisk, but what ones?

2016-11-15
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TheodoreRex Posted at 2016-11-15 06:39
I've been reading ExFAT SD Cards in my mac for years, and from this particular Phantom 4 drone sin ...

In 'B' above (SD Lock on), have you tried same with 'Lock Off' ?

EDIT:- do you also get the same with MP4 files ?
2016-11-15
Use props
TheodoreRex
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-11-15 00:02
Sorry, but none of that makes any sense, DJI do not write non-standard files. And as I said before, ...

GeeBax,

Hope I didn't sound like I was implying anything shifty. . . what I was saying was that the files seem to be corrupted upon writing. . . that I found folders that are not discoverable using the PC or MAC File Explorer or Finder. . . and that the REPAIR of those files involved sticking them back into the Bird.

I agree with you. . . none of this makes sense.  Absolutely 100% frustrating. . . having lost hours of work and some really, really excellent shots.  Had it been just once. . . or even twice, I'da thought it was just bad luck or some glitch.  But it's reproducible. . . and now, it's preventable.  

The one thing I cannot due to throw my hands up and say, "Well. . . that's just Mac's for ya."  The system I had worked excellently for nearly 4 months. . . then, one day, it did not.  And, the FIX of the problem is so bizarre . . . simply putting the files back into the bird. . . then they're "Fixed". . . and I can now read them with the SD Card Reader (though I no longer do that).

Several of the .MOV REPAIR PROGRAMS (and they almost all cost $$$ for individual file repairs) is basically telling them:
   A. Here's my Broken File
   B.  Here's a Good Video File as reference

What these programs are doing is simple. . . they're copying the header/codec information from one file to the next.  They don't "repair" or "reencode". . . they simply do a kind of cut/paste.  For $$$.   See DJIFIX for example. . . it's big trick is fixing the header information on your current corrupt file.  I did this on purpose with a file I copied off before the whole thing crashed. . . then I recovered the file that now "corrupted" using EASEUS Data Recovery (which wouldn't play). . . then did the DJIFIX. . . it worked.  But MAN is it a LOT of work. . .  If the Video File was actually "corrupted" it wouldn't play or be fixable. . . but it was fixed.

Now, if I put an SD back into the Bird. . . it fixes itself.  How can you explain that?   A Mac problem?  An SD Format Problem?  The only path that makes any sense is the DJI Drone itself. . . and yes, I had upgraded the firmware. . . and reinstalling it didn't work.  Something changed.   And frankly, I don't care what the culprit is. . . I simply want to fly, take video/stills, and get on with my life.  I can't explain it. . . but the solutions presented by other so far are not really solutions. . . but guessing at possible causes and saying "stop doing that!!!"   None of what has been suggested have I done. . . I do NOT turn off/take the battery out without not stopping recording.  I DO NOT remove the SD card while the power is in.  I DO NOT (though I have) formatted the SD cards in the Mac. . . the problem still occurs no matter how/where I format them (PC, MAC, or in the Bird).  

I've now found a working solution. . . and I'm sticking with it.  

DJI is on the Cutting Edge of this technology and all of us are, in a way, First Adopters. . . troubles are GOING to happen. . . and I don't blame DJI (other that vent frustration). . . the ACTIVE TRACK change has ruined a really good feature (home they change it back). . .  I want this to work. . .  and this discussion board is meant to work out problems. . . not ignore them. . .

And sure. . . I could be wrong.  DJI's been pretty helpful (though change takes time). . .  but this is a REAL PROBLEM for me. . . costing me hours of frustration and lost footage. . .  And I take your point. . . this could be a One-Off in my case. . . I MAY be the only person having these problems. . . the Solution came from the DJI Forum Phantom 2. . . who curiously . . . experienced the same problems about 2 years ago. . . and their solution. . . Put the SD card back in the bird, turn it on, let it sit a minute or two. . . then IMPORT via the USB Cable. . . the same thing I'm advocating.
2016-11-15
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TheodoreRex Posted at 2016-11-15 21:37
GeeBax,

Hope I didn't sound like I was implying anything shifty. . . what I was saying was that t ...

"Now, if I put an SD back into the Bird. . . it fixes itself.  How can you explain that? "

Did you try with 'Lock Off' on SD card adaptor ?

It's the one difference between card in adaptor & SD in Phantom.
2016-11-15
Use props
TheodoreRex
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-11-15 14:10
"Now, if I put an SD back into the Bird. . . it fixes itself.  How can you explain that? "

Did ...

Aardvark,

I'm not sure what you mean by that. . . sure, the MicroSD goes into an SD Card adapter. . . and that adapter can be placed in the LOCK or UNLOCK position. . . but how would that make a difference?  I'm not sure what you're getting at. . . or how it could explain what's been going on.
2016-11-15
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TheodoreRex Posted at 2016-11-16 00:35
Aardvark,

I'm not sure what you mean by that. . . sure, the MicroSD goes into an SD Card adapter. ...

I thought there may have been some problem in having the SD card write protected as you had it. I've just tried it here and no difference, it works fine either way.

One thing though, when I plug card into computer (PC) it seems to suggest there is a "problem with the drive (file error), would I like to scan and fix it". By default I ignore that message and continue. That seems to suggest that something is not quite compatible, but it works OK as is.

2016-11-15
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

DJI posted a 1.8 GB download MOV off the new Inspire 2 today on their website.  Some car tracking shot along a coastal road.

I also encountered errors trying to play it.  The only one that would play it was "Media Player Classic Home Cinema" x64.  VLC would show a frame or two and that's all.  Even Nero wanted me to buy some plug-in to use with their burning software's player.  iTunes wouldn't play it either and would just sit there.

I don't like the sound of the new Inspire 2 camera needing an expensive license, or maybe two, for their RAW/DNG files.  Don't know if they are starting to lock down various format extensions for cash, but sounds like it.
2016-11-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Aardvark Posted at 2016-11-16 12:44
I thought there may have been some problem in having the SD card write protected as you had it. I' ...

'One thing though, when I plug card into computer (PC) it seems to suggest there is a "problem with the drive (file error), would I like to scan and fix it". By default I ignore that message and continue. That seems to suggest that something is not quite compatible, but it works OK as is.'

I get that all the time, Windows seems to think just about every unusual drive is faulty. It happens to me with External drives, SD cards, USB thumb drives. I always ignore it.
2016-11-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2016-11-16 13:00
DJI posted a 1.8 GB download MOV off the new Inspire 2 today on their website.  Some car tracking sh ...

'I don't like the sound of the new Inspire 2 camera needing an expensive license, or maybe two, for their RAW/DNG files.  Don't know if they are starting to lock down various format extensions for cash, but sounds like it.'

They are just using CinemaDNG, it has been around for ages and you can handle it with Blackmagic's Resolve, even the free version.
2016-11-15
Use props
barbara2b
New
United States

I'm not sure that I am having the same issue, but certainly a similar issue.  I had the Phantom 3 Pro with no issues whatsoever....and I was excited to start using my Phantom 4 Pro+, but have lost images and video more times than I want to talk about.  I had some magically reappear (which I had never understood) but it was when I reinserted the card into the bird.  I decided to only download my images and video by using the USB cable from then on.  I never turn off before stopping video.  I always give it time to write the file before turning it off.  After shooting an event today, my files appeared to be corrupted.  I did a firmware update.  Still appeared corrupted.  Plugged the USB cord into my husband's PC and he can play them all without issue.  My Mac (which has my editing software on it) cannot play them back.  What....why....help....I'm so frustrated and emotionally done with this thing.
2017-5-21
Use props
pasaytenpete
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47346 ft
United States

Maybe have your husband copy/save then to a flash drive and then you could try to read them on the flash drive
2017-5-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules