Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Help with video editing please
2527 14 2016-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
orion11
lvl.1

United States

At my wits end here all, Phantom 3 4K, shot some video in 1920 x 1080 30fps.  The vids will play just fine when clicked on and played with Windows Media Player, also when I play them in VLC Media Player, they look pretty good.  When I put them into PowerDirector 13 however, they show up all blurred, jerky, etc..  I have played with the PowerDirector settings, watch the videos on YouTube and now have a pretty good headache!!  Obviously I am not a computer expert, too old for that, LOL.  I am wondering if my computer is not up to the task of running the newer editing software?  I will list what I could find about my computer and would like some opinions on if this is my problem.
Pentium R Dual Core E5200 2.50 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 8400GS video card
6GB RAM
64 Bit Windows 7 Home Edition
Any chance my computer is the problem and not something else I am missing in settings?  Thanks all in advance for any help and advice.
2016-6-11
Use props
malvern
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I'm afraid you are going to need a quad core at minimum.
2016-6-11
Use props
irp
Banned

United Kingdom

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-6-11
Use props
hummingbird.uav
Captain
Flight distance : 8330174 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I do not have the latest version of PD but when I import HD video into the program it asks if I want to use "shadow files"  Shadow files are low resolution copies of the HD video and these files are much easier for the computer to process.  After editing the output process uses the HD video files.
Shadow File.JPG
2016-6-11
Use props
orion11
lvl.1

United States

Hummingbird, thanks much for the tip.  I just found that function in PD and it is generating those shadow files now.  Will update with results.  Thanks again!!
2016-6-11
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

I just bought powerDirector, cyberlink, right? did not test it well yet, but remember, do not count on playback, only editing..
2016-6-11
Use props
Kneepuck
Captain
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

I'm thinking you may also want to update your video card a bit. You can get a pretty good used midrange card on ebay for 50 or 60 bucks that will help a lot.
2016-6-11
Use props
rodger
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Change to a MAC and FCP X and all will be well
2016-6-11
Use props
VisionAir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 954665 ft
Australia

I think as others had said your computer is under powered for HD and it is defiantly underpowered for 4K, for image processing your need a fast graphics card and for smooth playback you need more ram, (MORE RAM the smoother your play back. I use a Mac Book Pro with, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 turboed to 3.4GHz, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 ram, and the graphics card is a AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB and I edit with FCPX and once you see what your 4K image looks like you will find it hard to go back to 2K, and most of what I deliver is 2k but I still shoot and edit in 4K as this allows me to zoom in up to four times and at that zoom the image is still 2k. (1 frame of (HD 2K 1920x1080) is a 2megapixel still but 1 frame of( UHD 4K 4096X2160) is an 8megapixel still, Hope this helps.
2016-6-11
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.4

Hong Kong

Your CPU and graphic card was released like seven or eight years ago.   

If you want to edit 4K videos, you need a CPU of $300+, at least i5 XXX.

If you use a laptop, you need an i7 XXXX CPU.  
2016-6-11
Use props
jamesfarmer1
New

United Kingdom

VisionAir Posted at 2016-6-12 03:28
I think as others had said your computer is under powered for HD and it is defiantly underpowered fo ...

Hi, clearly you know what you are talking about when it comes to video editing....
I seem to be struggling to get the best out of my phantom 4 when it comes to the final bit....
Is there a video you know of I can watch suggesting the best program to use for footage editing, tips to make the best movies?
I don't seem to be able to find anything....  Thank you james.
2016-6-12
Use props
VisionAir
lvl.4
Australia

jamesfarmer1 Posted at 2016-6-12 16:50
Hi, clearly you know what you are talking about when it comes to video editing....
I seem to be st ...

Thanks, I can only comment on FCPX as this is all I have been using for the last 5 years and Final Cut Pro 6 & 7 before that obviously on Apple, prior to that I used Premiere and Vegas on PC but that was more than 10 years ago now, If you are completely new to editing it is a pretty big learning curve, If you google Ripple Training they have some very good free tutorials on editing I think they would be a good place to start they talk about FCPX and PC editing as well you will have to look through a lot of videos as they produce quite a lot of tutorials. I am a bit bias when I comes to FCPX as I have been using it since it was produced in June of 2011, I you have access to a Mac it is a down load program, here in Australia it costs AU$400 and is worth every bit. I hope this helps a little and sorry I could not be more help.
2016-6-12
Use props
VisionAir
lvl.4
Australia

jamesfarmer1 Posted at 2016-6-12 16:50
I seem to be st ...

1 question, When you say you are struggling what exactly are you struggling with?
2016-6-12
Use props
christing
lvl.3

Japan

It may due to the video codec output Phantom. h.264 is NOT a codec design for editing. Technically, it's not even designed for capture, but only for delivery...

If you're experiencing problems, it's because your PowerDirector simply doesn't like working with the h264 files. You should convert it to an edit-ready codec if you're experiencing problems. For instance, MPEG-2.

You can get a video convert app like Brorsoft Video Converter I'm using.
2017-5-16
Use props
Blackbeagle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56 ft
United States

Orion, I'm in the IT industry. Your PC is wayyyy underpowered. You have a dual core processor and 6gb of total memory ? Not a chance with 4K. I know some have suggested upgrading the video card. I doubt that will even help much. You need to upgrade everything. You need at least a quad core Corei7 processor and probably 16 if not 32gb of RAM to get the job done.  

If I were you, I would consider getting a new computer. Go look at IbuyPower or something. You have a 4K camera. You now need a big engine to run/edit/render your 4K project.

I have a P3A. For a computer, I have an Ibuypower system that I bought 2010.:

Core i7
12GB RAM
Nvidia GForce GTX 480
Windows 7 Home

To me, this is an old system. But it renders 1080p fine. It's a bit slow, but it can still do it. But I am also looking at a new system as well.
2017-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules