Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 4 Filters - Dji Vs Polar Pro Cinematic?
12Next >
15137 73 2016-6-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BrianJ
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi Flyers,

Has anyone purchased the stock Dji ND filters for Phantom 4 and if so, how do they compare with the Polar Pro Cinema ND filters?

Would like to see a video comparing both with the ISO, Shutter settings information on the video.

First photo is the Dji ND Filter and the second are the Polar Pro Cinema (Both screw on to Camera)

DJIND.jpg polar.jpg
2016-6-16
Use props
PolarPro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 315682 ft
  • >>>

Hey Brian,

I personally have never used the DJI filters, but I use ours all the time with great results, I am sure the DJI one is good too. I think the big benefits of ours are the diversity of filter selection and the lifetime warranty.
Hope that helps a bit!
-Jeff
2016-6-16
Use props
treeboyy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 604747 ft
United States

I use the DJI filters, ND4, 8 & 16 and they work well for me . I've never used polar pro. I did have to cut my ND8 off the camera because it got bound up taking it off.https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_LnwO4bku8BWm5xOWVkMXR0cnc
2016-6-16
Use props
dckeir
lvl.3

China

treeboyy Posted at 2016-6-17 12:17
I use the DJI filters, ND4, 8 & 16 and they work well for me . I've never used polar pro. I did have ...

I have a full set of both types of filter for my P4, although I have not had a chance to use the PP filters yet.  A few initial observations -
-  The DJI filters are very light and built with weight in mind.
-  I have had the DJI filters get stuck in place a number of times and be very hard to get off, can be very frustrating when you are trying to change to a lighter or darker ND and this delays your flight.  
-  PP filters are more solidly constructed, and include the circular polariser for glare reduction.
-  The PP filters are heavy enough that the camera lens slumps downwards when the Phantom is not powered on.  Does not seem to be too heavy for the gimbal when turned on though.  

In my case, the number of times the DJI filters got stuck is why I recently got the PP filters.  The polarizer is an added bonus.  YMMV
2016-6-17
Use props
reederhowarth.a
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1892057 ft
United Kingdom

I have a both DJI ND's and Polar Pro ND cinema filters. Personally, I prefer the results that the Polar Pro filters are giving me. There appears to be less flare when pointed towards the sun that could be down to the multi coating on the Polar Pro ND filters. I really love the results from my Polar Pro filters.
All aerial clips on this video were shot with a DJI Phantom 4 fitted with various PolarPro ND cinema filters

2016-6-17
Use props
MD_Icarus
Second Officer
United States

I also use Polar Pro and I am very happy with the results.
My videos do not need any enhancements.
2016-6-17
Use props
onlymeandyd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 80141 ft
United Kingdom

reederhowarth.a Posted at 2016-6-17 17:11
I have a both DJI ND's and Polar Pro ND cinema filters. Personally, I prefer the results that the Po ...

Very nice video! (oops) Could you share your various gain/sensitivity settings for Yaw? I'm still trying variations for mine...
Thanks.
2016-6-17
Use props
reederhowarth.a
lvl.3
United Kingdom

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-6-17 17:31
I also use Polar Pro and I am very happy with the results.
My videos do not need any enhancements.

WOW!....I would love to see them
2016-6-17
Use props
reederhowarth.a
lvl.3
United Kingdom

onlymeandyd@hot Posted at 2016-6-17 18:02
Very nice video! (oops) Could you share your various gain/sensitivity settings for Yaw? I'm still t ...

Thanks onlymeandyd,

I use Expo Rudder 0.37 for the Yaw settings
2016-6-17
Use props
gspir1
lvl.1

Hello guys. I m new to phantom 4. First time I bought a drone. Please can you suggest me a decent (not very expensive) set for ND filters for daylight. I would like to record at 1080p 50fps (or 100/120fps) at shutter speed about double value of the fps (so it must be about 1/100 or 1/200 - around these values) for video production.  When I tried to fly in a daylight I got a max shutter at 1/2500, thus I think I need an ND filter.  Also which one is suitable for daylight (at 1/100) ? ND8, 16 or 32 ?  

thank you ... any other advise is welcomed
2016-6-17
Use props
treeboyy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 604747 ft
United States

I was thinking of giving this ND 16-8 graduated filter a try.
2016-6-17
Use props
BrianJ
lvl.1

United Kingdom

reederhowarth.a Posted at 2016-6-17 17:11
I have a both DJI ND's and Polar Pro ND cinema filters. Personally, I prefer the results that the Po ...

Thanks Everybody for your replies.

Excellent video reederhowarth.a (ps I live in Glasgow and not to far away from the famous links golf courses but they are in a restricted zone being very close to Prestwick airport....so no flying damn!!). Your video is very professional looking.

Yes the Polar Pros look very good indeed but was looking at Dji due to weight for my gimbal as I am very fussy not damaging it. However, I notice that forum member treeboyy had issues with the Dji filter and had a "threading problem"

@PolarPro - Is there a retailer in the UK that will stock all ND variations for the Cinematic filters. Most I checked have one type? I would like the gold coloured cinematic filters for Phantom 4 ND2, 4, 8, 16 and 32. I don't need any higher than 32 as it is very rarely brilliant sunshine in UK lol.
2016-6-17
Use props
reederhowarth.a
lvl.3
United Kingdom

BrianJ Posted at 2016-6-18 07:16
Thanks Everybody for your replies.

Excellent video reederhowarth.a (ps I live in Glasgow and not t ...

Thanks BrianJ,

You can get the PolarPro filters from Hobby Mounts in the UK  http://www.hobbymounts.co.uk/sho ... I-Phantom-4-Filters
2016-6-18
Use props
pentagon78
lvl.4
Flight distance : 520233 ft
Malaysia

Hi, is the stock gimbal clamp still able to hold the camera if the PP or DJI filter is mounted on the lens?
2016-6-22
Use props
PolarPro
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

pentagon78 Posted at 2016-6-22 19:45
Hi, is the stock gimbal clamp still able to hold the camera if the PP or DJI filter is mounted on th ...

Hi Pentagon78,
No this is why we are including a free gimbal lock with purchase of the filters from our website for forum members. To redeem just email me your order number right after purchase and we will add in the P4 Lens cover for free!

E: Jeff.overall@polarprofilters.com

Thanks!
Jeff
2016-6-22
Use props
pentagon78
lvl.4
Malaysia

PolarPro Posted at 2016-6-23 11:27
Hi Pentagon78,
No this is why we are including a free gimbal lock with purchase of the filters fr ...

Hi Polarpro, thanks for the info. could you please provide me your link?
2016-6-22
Use props
PolarPro
Second Officer
  • >>>

pentagon78 Posted at 2016-6-23 11:30
Hi Polarpro, thanks for the info. could you please provide me your link?

Sure!
https://www.polarprofilters.com/collections/phantom-4-accessories
2016-6-23
Use props
Athlon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 675364 ft
Germany

PolarPro Posted at 2016-6-23 05:27
Hi Pentagon78,
No this is why we are including a free gimbal lock with purchase of the filters fr ...

Hello Polarpro,

I've bought the cinematic filters 4 weeks ago here in germany. Is it possible to become the clamp also if I send you my purchase receipt?

Thanks
Athlon
2016-6-23
Use props
Swedrone
Captain
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

PolarPro Posted at 2016-6-17 05:26
Hey Brian,

I personally have never used the DJI filters, but I use ours all the time with great re ...

How can you sell a product without having compared with DJI:s?
How is this even possible?
2016-6-23
Use props
Swedrone
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

I use DJI ND8 and ND16, cheapest and best. Made for the camera, same weight as the UV.
Would never use anything that added weight to the camera

2016-6-23
Use props
pentagon78
lvl.4
Malaysia

Swedrone Posted at 2016-6-24 14:08
I use DJI ND8 and ND16, cheapest and best. Made for the camera, same weight as the UV.
Would never u ...

Hi Swedrone, can you still use the DJI stock gimbal clamp if the DJI filter is mounted?
2016-6-23
Use props
Jan Jensen
lvl.4
Denmark

are all in here proffs or .. ??
how do the out of which filter to use ..
I do not use filter yet. but is as much interested in getting some better pictures and movies. where the light will dim slightly.
but I know nothing about filters and what to use ..?
and even seemed to me they are very expensive.
2016-6-24
Use props
Rutger
Portugal

pentagon78 Posted at 2016-6-24 14:52
Hi Swedrone, can you still use the DJI stock gimbal clamp if the DJI filter is mounted?

With the DJI filters, Yes you can still use the DJI gimbal clamp...
2016-6-24
Use props
Swedrone
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

pentagon78 Posted at 2016-6-24 08:52

Sure the filter is identical in size!
2016-6-24
Use props
Swedrone
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Jan Jensen Posted at 2016-6-24 14:32
are all in here proffs or .. ??
how do the out of which filter to use ..
I do not use filter yet. bu ...

They are not expensive, a filter of DJI´s quality could easily be twice as expensive. Try the ND8 as a start. For sunny days in scandinavia the ND16 is almost to little.
2016-6-24
Use props
BrianJ
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Swedrone Posted at 2016-6-25 08:22
They are not expensive, a filter of DJI´s quality could easily be twice as expensive. Try the ND8 ...

Thanks all for replies. I have ordered Dji 4, 8 and 16 filters to start with as I like the fact they are the Dji stock weight for the gimbal. The UK is mostly cloudy with broken sunshine so the ND16 should give me a nice shutter value.

I expect to have this Dji ND16 filter fixed to my gimbal for most of my flying so I can leave it attached on my camera with the gimbal clamp attached also when in storage.

I am also going to order the Polar Pro cinema gold shutters for the higher ND32 & 64 values for the rare super sunshine days we get.
2016-6-25
Use props
Swedrone
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

BrianJ Posted at 2016-6-25 10:44
Thanks all for replies. I have ordered Dji 4, 8 and 16 filters to start with as I like the fact th ...

Good man! I almost always use the 16 for sunny days. But still not enough all the time.
Phantom 4, ND 16, Sport mode and some Ken Burns effects. Early in the morning

2016-6-25
Use props
bengalboy69
First Officer
Flight distance : 11134446 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the ND8 and ND16 DJI filters made especially for the Phantom 4.  The filters are actually more expensive than the Polar Pros and I'm assuming its because of the construction.  Unlike the other member, I find both filters to be easily attached/removed from the camera.  The machining of the threads is precise and the coating around the lens frame matches the Phantom 4 camera which I like.  Weight is the same as the UV filter that is OEM on your Phantom 4.  The only difference I can see between the DJI filters and the OEM UV filter is the lack of a rubber O-Ring inside the frame.  Neither DJI ND filter has this O-Ring and yet after two Phantom 4 drones, both UV filters had it.  The O-Ring just kind of snugs down the filter when attached.  The DJI ND filters are nice, clean, glass and quality construction.  You definitely cannot go wrong with the purchase.  Ultimately, a ND filter just needs to be clean and abberation free.  The DJI filters are optical quality glass/plastic and constructed just like the Phantom 4 camera.   A perfect match visually, the DJI filters don't add weight and allow you to use the stock gimbal guard.  They cost more, though, I would say I was happy to pay it based upon the points made.  I recommend the ND16 as your first filter and a ND8 as a second filter.  I discovered that the ND8 just isn't dark enough for bright, summer days on the water in Alabama.  The ND16 gives me a good shutter speed without over exposure.  Remember the ND8 is a two stop down from f.2.8 and the ND16 is a three stop down from f2.8 aperture.  ND32 would be a good choice for people shooting at the beach and sunny tropical areas.
2016-6-25
Use props
BrianJ
lvl.1

United Kingdom

RE: Phantom 4 Filters - Dji Vs Polar Pro Cinematic?

Swedrone Posted at 2016-6-25 10:42
Good man! I almost always use the 16 for sunny days. But still not enough all the time.
Phantom 4,  ...

Excellent video Swederone and I can see the nice colour from the filter. Good choice of music with your video also, very peaceful and melodic for a very beautiful city.
2016-6-25
Use props
BrianJ
lvl.1

United Kingdom

bengalboy69@gma Posted at 2016-6-25 15:41
I have the ND8 and ND16 DJI filters made especially for the Phantom 4.  The filters are actually mor ...

Thanks bengalboy69 for this information. Looking at Swederones excellent video I can see what the ND16 filter can do.

Yes I was very fussy regarding the filter weight for the gimbal and want to use it for most of my flights expecting regular broken sunshine when I fly the drone here in Scotland. I Like the idea of just snapping on my gimbal guard also when flying is completed without unscrewing the filter.

I am planning some nice footage of the Scottish highlands when I get time off work that will show a variety of landscape colour and shape. Good test for the filters and my flying experience of course lol !!
2016-6-25
Use props
PolarPro
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Athlon Posted at 2016-6-23 22:39
Hello Polarpro,

I've bought the cinematic filters 4 weeks ago here in germany. Is it possible to  ...

Hi Athlon!

Absolutely, please email me your order number and shipping address!
Jeff.overall@polarprofilters.com

Thanks for supporting our brand,

Jeff
2016-6-25
Use props
PolarPro
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

BrianJ Posted at 2016-6-25 01:44
Thanks all for replies. I have ordered Dji 4, 8 and 16 filters to start with as I like the fact th ...

Hey Brian!

Be sure to send me an email when you order our filters so I can include a Lens Cover/Gimbal lock that is compatible with our filters to your order! Jeff.overall@polarprofilters.com

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Jeff
2016-6-25
Use props
PolarPro
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

bengalboy69@gma Posted at 2016-6-25 07:41
I have the ND8 and ND16 DJI filters made especially for the Phantom 4.  The filters are actually mor ...

If you do end up needing an ND32 feel free to shoot me an email and we can get you an individual filter.
Our filters individually are the same as DJI's $29.99, we just pass on some savings for purchasing our filters in the 3-Packs. I wouldn't say that DJI's filters are made better, I would say they are made different. Our have lifetime warranty's and constructed very well.

I can also throw in a P4 Lens Cover that is compatible with our filters!

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Jeff
2016-6-25
Use props
PolarPro
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Swedrone Posted at 2016-6-23 23:06
How can you sell a product without having compared with DJI:s?
How is this even possible?

Hi Swedrone,

I personally only use my CP, ND4/PL, ND8/PL, and ND16/PL filters, I don't think DJI makes the ND/Polarizer combo filters

Jeff
2016-6-25
Use props
bkeating79
lvl.1

United States

PolarPro Posted at 2016-6-25 16:45
Hey Brian!

Be sure to send me an email when you order our filters so I can include a Lens Cover/G ...

Polar pro has excellent customer service. I love their lenses.
2016-6-25
Use props
Dronin Adventur
lvl.1
Flight distance : 399590 ft
United States

Hey you guys I've been reading up on this thread. So I'm totally stuck. Do I go with the Dji Brand name filters, or the polar pro? I know both are very well constructed, and I am in desperate need of some filters. I live in the "Sunshine state" (Florida) and hole cow it gets super super bright out. My favorites are either midday beaches, or sunset shoots. So that being said, should I go for the higher numbered filters? Usually without fail theres a lot of sunlight and I feel as though a different filter could help my video quality dramatically improve. Especially if i go for the polarizer, there are some spectacular colors in the water that don't usually come out well with the stock filter.
-Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
2016-6-25
Use props
Swedrone
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

PolarPro Posted at 2016-6-25 23:54
Hi Swedrone,

I personally only use my CP, ND4/PL, ND8/PL, and ND16/PL filters, I don't think DJI ...

Ok fair enough!
2016-6-26
Use props
Swedrone
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Dronin Adventur Posted at 2016-6-26 06:18
Hey you guys I've been reading up on this thread. So I'm totally stuck. Do I go with the Dji Brand n ...

DJI filters any day of the week! Almost a bargain if you ask me!
2016-6-26
Use props
Swedrone
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

BrianJ Posted at 2016-6-25 19:40
Excellent video Swederone and I can see the nice colour from the filter. Good choice of music with ...

Some more
Golden Hour, shot in D-LOG using ND16 filter then graded

2016-6-26
Use props
randeris
lvl.4
Flight distance : 230443 ft
Denmark

PolarPro Posted at 2016-6-25 23:45
Hey Brian!

Be sure to send me an email when you order our filters so I can include a Lens Cover/G ...

Hi Jeff, shipping too Denmark ???, I want the Graduated Filter Set.

John
2016-6-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules