Compass Error in Mid-Air
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jdawgs88
lvl.1

Australia

So,  I've been recently using my iPad Mini 2 as my device to use for my DJI Phantom 3 4K, It's been going well, but after a few times, I've been getting an error on the screen saying Compass Error Exit P-GPS Mode, and it's saying atti mode. I was at a paddock at my parents house when all this happened. So, I used my iPad again at a football oval, and it happened again... Do I need to calibrate it in an open area before I fly to prevent this? So. I went to another football oval, decided to use my iPhone 6s this time, I didn't get any Compass Errors. But I like using my iPad. Because it's bigger than my iPhone. Can I still use my iPad without getting a Compass Error? Thanks. -Josh
2016-6-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Which device you are using has no bearing on whether you get a compass error. A compass error in flight usually means you did not do a good compass calibration on the ground. It is not necessary to calibrate the compass before every flight, just do a good one and leave it at that.
2016-6-27
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"Do I need to calibrate it in an open area before I fly to prevent this?"

That would be a good idea.
Get a good compass calibration in an area clear of steel and reinforced concrete and stick with it.

"I like using my iPad. Because it's bigger than my iPhone. Can I still use my iPad without getting a Compass Error?"

The compass error comes from the compass in your Phantom.
It is unrelated to the device you use to view the app.
2016-6-27
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello Josh, the mobile devices that you use have nothing to do with the drone's compass. Also, it is recommended to re-calibrate the compass in an open area free of steel materials 飞行环境.JPG
2016-6-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules