Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
iOS App Map Choice?
2860 13 2015-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gwhiz2k
lvl.4

Canada

Hi

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find it.

I've been playing around with the 0.92 app while waiting for my Inspire to arrive.

I notice that the maps the app uses  are from the Apple version of maps, which has an extremely low-res (as in no detail at all) view of the area I want to do my first flights in. In fact, that entire area of the province has bad Apple Maps coverage.

Is there a way to get Google Maps instead of Apple Maps on the iOS app? Apple Maps is a pretty severe limitation because it pretty much renders the mapping portion of the app useless for most of the places I want to fly.

Thanks

2015-1-23
Use props
gwhiz2k
lvl.4

Canada

No-one has any ideas? I've attached an image of the area. This represents an entire 30 acre lot. As you can see, the detail is very poor.

Am I maybe missing a setting somewhere in Apple Maps to get proper detail?
apple_maps_shot.jpg
2015-1-24
Use props
abe.email
Second Officer
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your attachment is not appearing, gwhiz, but nevertheless I don't believe there's a way to use google maps on the iOS Pilot app. Your best alternative may be to use an Android device which I presume uses google maps.
2015-1-24
Use props
gwhiz2k
lvl.4

Canada

Sorry, didn't show up the first time (PNG, too large). I re-edited with a JPEG. Should be showing now...
2015-1-24
Use props
gwhiz2k
lvl.4

Canada

I submitted a problem report to Apple through the Maps app. I never used Apple Maps before (new iPad). I never realized how bad it really is. It's not like that's a remote area, there are quite a few towns, and it's only 45 minutes from a major center.

DJI, is it impossible to allow for different maps to be used in the apps? Apple Maps is quite useless.
2015-1-24
Use props
daninperth
lvl.4

United States

Agree that it is a shame the iOS Pilot App is forced to use the default and poor resolution maps when the others are so much more detailed. In my case they are also much older than other maps. Years older.  Hope  you get an answer to this.

Dan
2015-1-24
Use props
snapcase.mac
New
United States

It looks like the map has not fully downloaded.
try it again and make sure you have internet coverage to download the map.
2015-2-16
Use props
michael-dicker.
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5134951 ft
Germany

Could you give cooordinates for your location, just curious to see whan apple and Google offers for your place.

Thanks
2015-2-16
Use props
gwhiz2k
lvl.4

Canada

snapcase.mac Posted at 2015-2-17 01:08
It looks like the map has not fully downloaded.
try it again and make sure you have internet coverag ...

I have tried many, many times to re-load that map, and have shown it to multiple people, on both high-speed LTE and my home excellent quality WiFi. The problem is definitely Apple Maps. Had someone else try it on Apple Maps on their iPhone 6+... Same thing. There is no satellite data other than extremely low-resolution images for most of my area except for the city. I've been getting everyone I know to submit a problem report to Apple, but I don't think they really care.

Apple Maps is useless, unless you're in a built-up urban area, precisely where you're not supposed to fly in Canada...

DJI should enable option to use the Google Maps API in the app. Simple as that.
2015-2-17
Use props
gwhiz2k
lvl.4

Canada

michael-dicker. Posted at 2015-2-17 01:22
Could you give cooordinates for your location, just curious to see whan apple and Google offers for  ...

I'll do better than that

Here's the Google Maps link:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Grand+Marais,+MB/@50.5437627,-96.614224,2326m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x52eb1f8bc88b48ab:0x222e5f9ee00087b7

Note: The forum post messed up the link. You'll need to copy/paste the whole thing, don't click on it.

Not only this town, but pretty much every town within that area is unusable in Apple Maps.
2015-2-17
Use props
Greg7140

United States

Man, I hadn't thought about this...same thing in my area.  first picture is Apple Maps...second is Google maps...both shown as screen shots on a iPad Air 2.  Not only much better resolution, but can zoom in much closer with Google Maps.  Can certainly work with either, but would be nice to use the Google Data base.

Hopefully this will be an update to the iOS app sometime to be able to select Map data base?

2015-2-17
Use props
michael-dicker.
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5134951 ft
Germany

gwhiz2k Posted at 2015-2-17 16:17
I'll do better than that

Here's the Google Maps link:

Thank you, truly not what you want  :-(
2015-2-17
Use props
gwhiz2k
lvl.4

Canada

Greg7140 Posted at 2015-2-17 19:41
Man, I hadn't thought about this...same thing in my area.  first picture is Apple Maps...second is G ...

Haha... I wish I had that kind of resolution. The top pic (Apple) that you show would be represented by about 4 pixels on mine!  
2015-2-17
Use props
pete1144
lvl.4

United States

This is another reason I switched from the iPad to the Nvidia Shield (Android). Plus the fact that the Shield seems to be a lot faster than my iPad min.
2015-2-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules