CAN YOU USE WIFI ONLY IPAD WHEN FLYING DRONE WITHOUT INTERNET ACCESS
12Next >
70879 59 2016-6-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
josh8394
lvl.2
Australia

I want to get an ipad for my drone because of the screen size but want to confrim can you use the wifi only ipads or do you need to get a cellular ipads in order to fly the drone without internet?
2016-6-30
Use props
Heebus
lvl.4

Canada

I dont have an ipad but I do have a samsung tablet with no cell or internet n I fly my P4 with it no problem
2016-6-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Firstly, we need to know which aircraft you have? But, in any event, having an Internet connection is not necessary to flying your Phantom, nothing in the system uses Internet, nor cellular data.

Having said that, the WiFi onoly iPads do not have a GPS system fitted to them, and this means you will not be able to use the Follow Me function, or reset the home point to the position of the RC unit. However many people never use those functions anyway.
2016-6-30
Use props
josh8394
lvl.2
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-7-1 09:58
Firstly, we need to know which aircraft you have? But, in any event, having an Internet connection i ...

Hi,

I have a phantom 4. thanks for letting me know
2016-6-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Having a cellular enabled device will also allow you to stream live video to your YouTube channel or Facebook account.

RedHotPoker
2016-6-30
Use props
dresseltl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602215 ft
  • >>>
United States

Had same question when I got my first drone....the Phantom 4.  Using iPad Pro 12.9" wifi only....(no Cell).  Was concerned at first about not having GPS in iPad, but it has been no problem at all.  Love flying the P4 with the large screen of the iPad Pro 12.9".  Enjoy!!
2016-7-1
Use props
Mallettron
lvl.3
Flight distance : 82641 ft
United Kingdom

More importantly having a cellular ipad willl allow you to view maps in an area you didnt view and cache while in a wifi area
I use a mini 2 cellular on my P4, but I also have a mini 4wifi as a backup and general viewer
Just wish I could airdrop from the mini 2 to the mini 4 as a display for spectators

As a side note i bought a couple of cheap hoods for the mini, they work butdont fit well on the clamp, just bought the dji one and its perfect, just wish they had cheaper shipping
2016-7-1
Use props
jmims
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1686991 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly with an iPad that is WiFi only. The only "problem" that you might run into is the maps. What I try to do before I fly somewhere new is open the DJIGo app while in WiFi and move the map to where I will be flying. This caches the map so that it will be loaded when you fly. In the event that you don't do that, I'll create a WiFi hotspot using my cell phone right before I fly. That loads the map on the spot. Before you fly, you'll want to turn off the hotspot because the WiFi can interfere with the RC. Hope this helps!
2016-7-1
Use props
mavs88
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Which problems can occur when or if an iPad WiFi-only is connected to the Internet using the iPhone 6s as a personal hotspot? I fly like this all the time...Would be great if any DJI-person can say something about this...did I overlook something in the user manual of the Phantom 4?

Thank you,

Max
2016-7-2
Use props
cwong42
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3504731 ft
United States

dresseltl Posted at 2016-7-1 21:11
Had same question when I got my first drone....the Phantom 4.  Using iPad Pro 12.9" wifi only....(no ...

Hi dresselt, can you share what tablet holder do you use to hold the 12.9" iPad Pro?
2016-7-2
Use props
c.davies60
New

United Kingdom

I bought the ipad mini 2 cellular on special in argos. Love how maps are loaded instantly.
2016-7-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

iPad Pro 9/7 no cellular just use hotspot from iPhone 6. Everything works fine.
2016-7-2
Use props
Mallettron
lvl.3
Flight distance : 82641 ft
United Kingdom

c.davies60@btin Posted at 2016-7-2 19:59
I bought the ipad mini 2 cellular on special in argos. Love how maps are loaded instantly.

Get the free three data only sim, register andget 200mb of data free each month, ideal for getting maps yOu havent cached at home
2016-7-3
Use props
skyphotovideo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 311791 ft
United States

you dont need internet, my ipad is wifi only. the only difference is that if you have internet then you can see the map.
2016-7-3
Use props
Phantom of The
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602215 ft
  • >>>
United States

cwong42@stu.jjc Posted at 2016-7-2 12:22
Hi dresselt, can you share what tablet holder do you use to hold the 12.9" iPad Pro?

Hi cwong42.  Sorry for delay...have not been on line for a couple of days.  
The first iPad Pro holder was from Amazon called iPad Pro 12.9" Adapter..
iPad Pro 12.9" mount adapter for DJI INSPIRE 1 and PHANTOM 4, PHANTOM 3 ADVANCED & PROFESSIONAL
by ArchMediaNet
Mount iPad Pro 12.9" tablet to your DJI RC for Inspire 1, Phantom 4, and Phantom 3 Advanced and Professional
3D PRINTED Mount Adapter custom designed to fit the naked iPad Pro 12.9" only
Allows the use of iPad Pro with your DJI RC
Mounts securely to the DJI clamp
Easily removable/attachable
You can see a picture on Amazon.

Then I decided that I needed a sunscreen, so I purchased a real nice unit that holds the iPad Pro 12.9" on the Phantom 4 controller very solidly.  It is from AERIALDRONEACCESSORIES.COM  The unit for the iPad Pro 12.9" is called The MASTER SERIES IPAD PRO 12.9" SUNSHADE
SALE  $ 179.99  Regular price$ 199.99.  They are running a sale through July 5th for an extra 15% off.  Great unit that works like a charm.

2016-7-4
Use props
cwong42
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3504731 ft
United States

Phantom of The  Posted at 2016-7-4 20:15
Hi cwong42.  Sorry for delay...have not been on line for a couple of days.  
The first iPad Pro ho ...

Thank you for sharing . Great details and i will read up more in Amazon
2016-7-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

yes you can use WiFI only. You will just need to cache your maps while at home on WiFi or use your phone as a hotspot when you get to your flying area and load the map.
Also, you cannot use Follow Me without a GPS in the iPad.
2016-7-4
Use props
ajayrdshah
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9311 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-5 03:24
yes you can use WiFI only. You will just need to cache your maps while at home on WiFi or use your p ...

Can point of interest / active tracking be used on a non-cellular device?
2016-7-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

ajayrdshah Posted at 2016-7-20 08:37
Can point of interest / active tracking be used on a non-cellular device?

It depends upon what device you are talking about. Apple iPads that are WiFi only do not have GPS modules fitted to them. Without GPS 'active tracking' as you call it, or 'follow me' will not work on a P3. But POI works fine, as it does not rely on the iPad having a GPS receiver. It works solely on the GPS in the aircraft.

If you are talking about Android devices, then most phones have GPS capability.

2016-7-19
Use props
Dr AJ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9311 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-5 03:24
yes you can use WiFI only. You will just need to cache your maps while at home on WiFi or use your p ...

Can I use a WiFi hotspot (from my cellphone) on my ipad mini 3 WIFI ONLY whilst using a P4?
2016-7-20
Use props
Vinniez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2106204 ft
  • >>>
Indonesia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-5 10:24

ken , if I use ipad air2 with gps but didn't insert the simcard, do the gps still working ?
2016-7-20
Use props
Heebus
lvl.4

Canada

Vinniez Posted at 2016-7-21 00:38
ken , if I use ipad air2 with gps but didn't insert the simcard, do the gps still working ?

Ipads do not have gps in them
2016-7-21
Use props
amh2007
lvl.1
United States

I am looking to purchase an iPad mini 4. I'd prefer to save money and buy the one w/o GPS and then tether to my iphone which has built in GPS.
I was told by some that that either 1) does not work or 2) GPS data is inaccurate.
The other option is to buy the iPad mini 4 w/o GPS (cheaper) and purchase a stand alone separate GPS device which supposedly is very accurate but seems to be another hassle to remember and charge. At the end of the day the price to purchase both would be the same as an iPad mini 4 w/ Cellular(Has GPS)
Anyone with real life experience tethering their Phantom 4 from an iPad Mini to a iphone (or other GPS enabled device)
My other question, how many GB do you recommend either 16GB or 64GB on the ipad Mini 4 to record and save video on the device even though at 720 resolution?

Thanks!
2016-7-21
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-7-19 15:37
It depends upon what device you are talking about. Apple iPads that are WiFi only do not have GPS modules fitted to them. Without GPS 'active tracking' as you call it, or 'follow me' will not work on a P3. But POI works fine, as it does not rely on the iPad having a GPS receiver. It works solely on the GPS in the aircraft.

If you are talking about Android devices, then most phones have GPS capability.

'active track' and 'follow me' are completely different flight modes. Follow me literally follows the device via the GPS module built into it. Follow me is totally inactive  without GPS in the device. However, active  track is a more modern flight mode for the Phantom 4 series and uses the main camera to acquire and fix on the subject to track it - active track does NOT require GPS.
2017-2-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

ACW Posted at 2017-2-20 09:54
'active track' and 'follow me' are completely different flight modes. Follow me literally follows the device via the GPS module built into it. Follow me is totally inactive  without GPS in the device. However, active  track is a more modern flight mode for the Phantom 4 series and uses the main camera to acquire and fix on the subject to track it - active track does NOT require GPS.

I am aware of that. If you read the tract of message by the person I quoted, I was using his terminology and had placed 'active track' in parentheses.
2017-2-20
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

you can use an ipad without cellular. the drone will setup the RTH at take-off, but since you can not update the gps location of the RC to the drone, you will not be able to update the RTH or to use follow me mode.message 17 is clear enough.
what i wanted to add is that there are bluetooth gps receivers used for tracking. not sure if you can connect those to ipad in order to use the location, but i believe it should work. if it does, the advantage is that those gps receivers are accurate and the refresh rate is up to 10Hz.
2017-2-20
Use props
barrub3d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 53333 ft
Italy

amh2007@nyu.edu Posted at 2016-7-21 06:18
I am looking to purchase an iPad mini 4. I'd prefer to save money and buy the one w/o GPS and then tether to my iphone which has built in GPS.
I was told by some that that either 1) does not work or 2) GPS data is inaccurate.
The other option is to buy the iPad mini 4 w/o GPS (cheaper) and purchase a stand alone separate GPS device which supposedly is very accurate but seems to be another hassle to remember and charge. At the end of the day the price to purchase both would be the same as an iPad mini 4 w/ Cellular(Has GPS)

which is the specific external gps module we're talking about? some link?
2017-3-18
Use props
mic75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3799423 ft
Australia

Heebus Posted at 2016-7-21 02:23

Yes they do, I even pulled the simcard out and it still found my location, wifi was also turned off.
2017-3-19
Use props
mic75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3799423 ft
Australia

Vinniez Posted at 2016-7-20 08:38

No simcard and no wifi and gps will still work.
2017-3-19
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-20 14:06
I am aware of that. If you read the tract of message by the person I quoted, I was using his terminology and had placed 'active track' in parentheses.

Then my comment is directed at the person who wrote the original post. There does seem to be quite a lot of confusion between active track and follow me on these forums. I suggest flyers actually read the manual and understand what GPS actually is! How can a dog, for example,  without GPS receivers on it be actively tracked by GPS LMFAO.
2017-3-19
Use props
Quamera
lvl.2
Australia

ACW Posted at 2017-3-19 02:46
Then my comment is directed at the person who wrote the original post. There does seem to be quite a lot of confusion between active track and follow me on these forums. I suggest flyers actually read the manual and understand what GPS actually is! How can a dog, for example,  without GPS receivers on it be actively tracked by GPS LMFAO.

Then perhaps you should reply to the original post so there is no misunderstanding. Sometimes experienced OPs are not impressed when directly told things they already know especially when they are in plain view in the manual.
2017-3-19
Use props
Commodon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 347677 ft
United States

If you have downloaded a map of the area to the DJI GO4 application where you intend to fly, then no. You do not need to have connectivity to the Internet when you fly.
2017-3-20
Use props
Commodon
lvl.2
United States

Commodon Posted at 2017-3-20 05:22
If you have downloaded a map of the area to the DJI GO4 application where you intend to fly, then no. You do not need to have connectivity to the Internet when you fly.

If you have downloaded a map of the area to the DJI GO4 application where you intend to fly, then no. You do not need to have connectivity to the Internet when you fly. In fact, i specifically enable "Airplane Mode" on my nVidia Shield prior to launching DJI GO4.

With regards to downloading a map of the area before flying, do the following:
1. Enable wireless connectivity on the device.
2. Launch the DJI GO4 application on the device. Note the device is *not* connected to the RC.
3. Tap the three hotizonatal bars in the upper-right corner, then tap "Offline Map"
4. Select the Continent, Countries, State, etc. then tap the down arrow to the right. Repeat if necessary.
5. When finished, you should enable Airplane Mode on the device.
2017-3-20
Use props
bigal
lvl.3
Flight distance : 65771 ft
United Kingdom

Commodon Posted at 2017-3-20 05:42
If you have downloaded a map of the area to the DJI GO4 application where you intend to fly, then no. You do not need to have connectivity to the Internet when you fly. In fact, i specifically enable "Airplane Mode" on my nVidia Shield prior to launching DJI GO4.

With regards to downloading a map of the area before flying, do the following:

thanks for that tip Commodon , Ive just tried to follow your instructions tapping the three horizotal bars but donot get the option of OffLine Map

Samsung Tab 4

Samsung Tab 4
2017-3-20
Use props
Commodon
lvl.2
United States

bigal Posted at 2017-3-20 06:09
thanks for that tip Commodon , Ive just tried to follow your instructions tapping the three horizotal bars but donot get the option of OffLine Map

Interesting. Is the DJI GO4 application up-to-date?

From the main screen, tap "Me" in the lower right corner.
Now scroll down and select Settings.
Scroll all the way to the bottom, under Sign Out

On my nVidia Shield, I am using DJI GO4 v4.0.5 (213-gpTablet)
2017-3-20
Use props
bigal
lvl.3
Flight distance : 65771 ft
United Kingdom

Commodon Posted at 2017-3-20 10:30
Interesting. Is the DJI GO4 application up-to-date?

From the main screen, tap "Me" in the lower right corner.

Hi Commodom checked my version is DJI GO 4v4.0.2(172-gp Tablet)  running on Samsung Tab 4  Check for update tells me  latest version is 4.0.3
updated to v4.0.5 (213-gp tablet ) now got the option many thanks, just need to figure out what to do with it ..

latest version

latest version
DSC00447 small.jpg
2017-3-20
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Quamera Posted at 2017-3-19 05:47
Then perhaps you should reply to the original post so there is no misunderstanding. Sometimes experienced OPs are not impressed when directly told things they already know especially when they are in plain view in the manual.

My sincere apologies for the lack of clarity in not spelling everything out in micro detail so not to offend you whilst reading your manual LMFAO
2017-3-23
Use props
Chadrob30
lvl.4
Flight distance : 220459 ft
United States

Heebus Posted at 2016-7-21 02:23

iPads that have cellular connectivity indeed have GPS. This has been beaten to death. Even if you don't have a cellular connected iPad, GPS is not required to fly. This has also been beaten to death.
2017-3-23
Use props
chris_t
lvl.4

Germany

Yes, we can. ;-)
2017-3-25
Use props
TekSone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 124226 ft
  • >>>
United States

Vinniez Posted at 2016-7-20 08:38

I know this question/post is old but it will be for people that come across this question. Yes, I use my iPad Mini 4 wifi/cellular model with no sim card. The GPS is in the unit, not the sim card.
2017-6-15
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules