5667 66 2016-7-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The GEO firmware is now available for Android, IOS will be soon.

http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system

Screenshot_20160705-092416 (Medium).png
Screenshot_20160705-092723 (Medium).png
Screenshot_20160705-092733 (Medium).png
2016-7-5
Use props
pi-inthesky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft

DJI-Ken Can the unlocking of geozones be done on a separate device to the one used for the actual flight control on the day of flight.
2016-7-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

pi-inthesky@hot Posted at 2016-7-6 00:38
DJI-Ken Can the unlocking of geozones be done on a separate device to the one used for the actual fl ...

You would need to use your computer to unlock the zones then you can use use any device.
You have to be close to that zone when you unlock on your device.
2016-7-5
Use props
braddoll13
lvl.2
Flight distance : 42346 ft
United States

Was this the new update on 7_1_16? I got a dji go app update on droid, 1st of july
2016-7-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

braddoll13 Posted at 2016-7-6 02:18
Was this the new update on 7_1_16? I got a dji go app update on droid, 1st of july

It was just updated today.
2016-7-5
Use props
pi-inthesky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-6 00:45
You would need to use your computer to unlock the zones then you can use use any device.
You have  ...

DJI-Ken Not sure you got my drift.The GO app for flight device is not up to date and do not want to update for now.The second devices GO app would be up to date.When on site with both devices can the unlocking be done effectively on the fully updated device.  
2016-7-5
Use props
Mallettron
lvl.3
Flight distance : 82641 ft
United Kingdom

How do we get the nfz data updated?
The city airport near me is closed and the land has been built on, not even a heliport, so this needs removing

2016-7-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Mallettron Posted at 2016-7-6 02:39
How do we get the nfz data updated?
The city airport near me is closed and the land has been built o ...

Send an email to FlySafe@dji.com
2016-7-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

pi-inthesky@hot Posted at 2016-7-6 02:33
DJI-Ken Not sure you got my drift.The GO app for flight device is not up to date and do not want t ...

GEO is in the aircraft and the app so your device that is not updated cannot be used while flying in a NFZ
2016-7-5
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And quick to get into the news Here
2016-7-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-7-6 03:09
And quick to get into the news Here

Just as Brendan said, DJI is leaving it up to the user to self authorize themselves.
Just like a car manufacture, they cannot regulate who gets behind the wheel.
2016-7-5
Use props
Mad_Angler1
First Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So Ken, What Zones does it use if you turn GEO off ?

Does it just remove the Green warning zone and Green enhanced warning zone and leave the Yellow and Red, i assume Yellow would become red at this point as it is in Geo or does it revert to the old NFZ system ?

I have flown tonight and unloced a Green Enhanced warning zone with no issue
2016-7-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Mad_Angler1 Posted at 2016-7-6 04:17
So Ken, What Zones does it use if you turn GEO off ?

Does it just remove the Green warning zone an ...

I am not in a NFZ right now but I am in a green warning zone. With GEO on I see the green, yellow, and red zones. When I turn it off I only see the red zones which stay the same size as the red zones when GEO is on.
The green enhanced warning zones shouldn't need to be unlocked and only the yellow zones need to be unlocked.
It looks like now most all airports do have a Red unlockable zone right over the airport and a Yellow unlockable zone with a wider perimeter around the Red NFZ.
So flying directly over the airport cannot be done.
If someone has a job that requires it, then they would need to contact FlySafe@dji.com.
2016-7-5
Use props
mochorm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 940148 ft
Canada

I'm a bit confused. I fired up the new app and get a warning that I'm in a zone "E" area, nothing showing on the map on the app. (which is normal I believe for zone E).
So I look at DJI Geo Map and my location doesn't show that I'm in any zone? I'm approx. 15km away from an Enhanced Zone?

So can you tell me why the app gives me a warning?

TIA
2016-7-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

mochorm Posted at 2016-7-6 04:42
I'm a bit confused. I fired up the new app and get a warning that I'm in a zone "E" area, nothing sh ...

zone E is class E airspace, while in map view and you aircraft powered up there's a gear looking icon. Tap that and you get all the settings for the different airspace and other places.
2016-7-5
Use props
Mad_Angler1
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-5 21:41
I am not in a NFZ right now but I am in a green warning zone. With GEO on I see the green, yellow,  ...

Thanks Ken, so what happens to the Yellow zone when you turn Geo off ? I would assume they turn red otherwise whats the point of them requiring an online unlock in Geo
2016-7-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Mad_Angler1 Posted at 2016-7-6 05:06
Thanks Ken, so what happens to the Yellow zone when you turn Geo off ? I would assume they turn red ...

When you turn off GEO the yellow zones disappear and you still only see the red zones.
When you turn GEO back on you see the yellow circle (larger diameter) around the red circle.
But I see exactly what you are saying, with GEO on you have to authorize, with GEO off you can fly in the yellow.
I'll get more answers and let you know.Since I am not in an authorization zone I'm guessing that when you get into one you would have to enable GEO and unlock in order to take off.

2016-7-5
Use props
Mad_Angler1
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-5 22:20
When you turn off GEO the yellow zones disappear and you still only see the red zones.
When you tu ...

Cool thanks, yea it just does not make sense but then it may from an early release point of view, get people used to Authrising or perhaps it will remain always this way and optional.

Thank you for the answers Ken its appreciated
2016-7-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Mad_Angler1 Posted at 2016-7-6 05:24
Cool thanks, yea it just does not make sense but then it may from an early release point of view,  ...

No problem at all, take care and I'm sure in the coming days and weeks GEO is going to be a major topic.
2016-7-5
Use props
Mad_Angler1
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-5 22:32
No problem at all, take care and I'm sure in the coming days and weeks GEO is going to be a major  ...

Days lol, i give it hours

I don't cover her much these days but always good to speak with you guys, Back to my RCG
2016-7-5
Use props
towheaded-pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35125 ft
  • >>>
United States

How does GEO work with 3rd party apps like Litchi? Do you need to run the GO app to authorize if needed before running the Litchi app?
2016-7-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

towheaded-pilot Posted at 2016-7-6 08:33
How does GEO work with 3rd party apps like Litchi? Do you need to run the GO app to authorize if nee ...

GEO only with with the DJI GO app.
And do not run two apps at the same time.
2016-7-5
Use props
towheaded-pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35125 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, thanks. I'm aware that GEO only works with the Go app. What I would like to know... would I need to unlock a zone 1st with the Go app prior to using a 3rd party app in an authorization zone? If I just use the 3rd party app, would I be able to fly in this zone or would it be locked (red zone).
2016-7-5
Use props
Mafia16
First Officer
Flight distance : 26490948 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Hi Ken i try to contact flysafe@dji.com because im working in Punta Cana in Dominican Republic, and some of the area i have to flight my aircraft i cant because of the GEO NFZ of the private airport punta cana own, what are the procedure i have to make to permanently unlock the area because i have to use the drone twice a day in the area.
2016-7-5
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

Hey Ken, do you mind explaining what all the airspace classes mean and what the different cricket colours mean? Thanks
2016-7-5
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Mafia16 Posted at 2016-7-6 12:58
Hi Ken i try to contact  because im working in Punta Cana in Dominican Republic, and some of the a ...

Just contact flysafe@dji.com, they will tell you what documents they need.

Normally you need some documents from airport or your country's air space agency to show you're authorized to fly in that area, for how long, etc.
2016-7-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

towheaded-pilot Posted at 2016-7-6 12:15
Yes, thanks. I'm aware that GEO only works with the Go app. What I would like to know... would I n ...

I don't use 3rd party apps so I can't say, I'm guessing if you unlock the zone with the GO app you still need to have the GO app active in order to fly in a NFZ.
2016-7-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Michael M Posted at 2016-7-6 13:03
Hey Ken, do you mind explaining what all the airspace classes mean and what the different cricket co ...

This should help.
https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ ... 05&preview=true
2016-7-6
Use props
Mad_Angler1
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-6 15:40
I don't use 3rd party apps so I can't say, I'm guessing if you unlock the zone with the GO app you ...

From my experience in the Beta you unlock a zone in the Go app then that remains unlocked for 24 hours, this unlock is put on the craft so no matter what app you use it remains unlocked.

So the theory is you would unlock a yellow zone in DJI go, close the Go app then open the 3rd party app and fly as normal.

this is my believe on how it works.
2016-7-7
Use props
Mafia16
First Officer
Flight distance : 26490948 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-7-6 02:19
Just contact , they will tell you what documents they need.

Normally you need some documents from ...

Thanks im looking for permanent unlock in the area because im working with the airport itself.
2016-7-7
Use props
bobasbury
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

I said this when it was first announced, and I will say it again:  The DJI GEO system is one of the most positive, important advancements in drone navigation software.

In most everything in life, freedom is not free.  You pay for freedom with responsibility.  In this GEO system, you pay a little responsibility (verification through credit card or phone number) and get a LOT of freedom in return.  I've already seen Bank of America Stadium my town a place previously forbidden as a NFZ is now free.  I am sure that it will be marked as a temporary NFZ on game days this fall.

The problem most of us have had with NFZ's is our assertion that "We have authorization to fly here, but the firmware won't let us."  Now, DJI, and potentially government officials may see who was in this restricted space.  By simply identifying ourselves, we are allowed in an area that would have been forbidden previously.

The technology is impressive and useful now.  It's future applications could be monumental.  This technology could be integrated into air traffic control.  Proper authorities or even the general public could potentially look at drone traffic on a map.  Airplanes could see a drone ahead at 1000 feet altitude (for example), and take evasive measures if needed or even contact the drone pilot.  The possibilities are huge!  If this freaks anyone out, try to understand the balance of freedom and responsibility.   In this case, a lot of freedom could be had for a tiny bit of responsibility.  

By knowing where drones are and who is flying them (responsibility) we could, in the future, enjoy more freedom:  Flying FPV, flying at higher altitudes, flying LOOOONG range and more.

This is 100% positive, 0% negative.
2016-7-7
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Thanks for the useful info Ken. I have just made a couple of short test flights and I see the changes in the GO App (Nexus 9 running Android), but the zones are not indicated in the map view (Paris suburbs). A bug, a setting that I missed, or something that will evolve over the next few days (I am 5 km from a local airport).
2016-7-7
Use props
bobasbury
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

johnsr Posted at 2016-7-7 21:17
Thanks for the useful info Ken. I have just made a couple of short test flights and I see the change ...

I don't think android is updated yet.
2016-7-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Mad_Angler1 Posted at 2016-7-7 16:47
From my experience in the Beta you unlock a zone in the Go app then that remains unlocked for 24 h ...

I sent an email to the GEO team to verify.
2016-7-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

bobasbury Posted at 2016-7-7 21:22
I don't think android is updated yet.

Android is updated with the GEO.
2016-7-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

johnsr Posted at 2016-7-7 21:17
Thanks for the useful info Ken. I have just made a couple of short test flights and I see the change ...

If you click on the gear in the map view that will let you see the zones around you. Default is "Show Warning prompt's", change it to Show Warning Zones and prompts".
2016-7-7
Use props
thecodfly
lvl.1

United Kingdom

have updated on my android pad and now the app constantly crashes,and have to restart it over again,and still it crashes, as soon as you takeoff the app crashes, so pretty much useless now,please look into this and let me know
2016-7-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

thecodfly Posted at 2016-7-8 01:08
have updated on my android pad and now the app constantly crashes,and have to restart it over again, ...

I'm sorry you are having difficulties, what device are you using?
2016-7-7
Use props
thecodfly
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-7 18:18
I'm sorry you are having difficulties, what device are you using?

Hi dji Ken the device I am using is an archos 7" tablet running android lollipop, it has been working fine before the update, but now just says dji go has stopped responding, always at the same time as soon as you takeoff, I have a Samsung Galaxy phone which I have not updated and works fine(don't want to risk updating that in case it stops working, also have an iPad Air which works fine, but find its just too big to use with remote,which is why I went for the smaller tablet running android, as it has gps  built in, have tried also with wifi turned on and with wifi turned off, there is no other apps working on the tablet as it was bought purely for the phantom 3 advanced, hopefully a fix will be forthcoming soon
2016-7-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

thecodfly Posted at 2016-7-8 02:12
Hi dji Ken the device I am using is an archos 7" tablet running android lollipop, it has been work ...

It's not an app issue, I think it's your device can not keep up with the processing power required. The latest update may require a little more processing power and that's why your device will not work anymore.
I have an iPad Air and I notice a little slower when I'm moving the map around but that's with all GEO zones showing.
My iPad Pro is still the same speed when in map view.

Here's a list or recommended devices.

iOS Version v2.8.4.
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus,iPod touch 6,iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus.
Android Version v2.8.2.
Requires Android 4.1.2 or later.Compatible with Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei P8 Max, Huawei Mate 8, Nubia Z7 mini, Sony Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD, Smartisan T1.
2016-7-7
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules