OSMO Battery Extender is awesome!
4778 11 2016-7-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chanlkanthony
New

United States

Earlier this year I went on vacation I have to carry 4-5 batteries in order to last the entire day of video filming.
It was so painful/tiring to charge 5 batteries with that single slot charger every-night after 6-8 hrs of walking/hiking. (I don't want to use aftermarket charger)

Few days ago, I decided to work on a hack to get around the hassle for my next trip.
I decided to get this two items from OSMO
https://store.dji.com/product/osmo-external-battery-extender
https://store.dji.com/product/phantom-4-car-charger-kit
Then, I hook them up to a battery pack as power source which has a 12V DC (car adapter) output called Pronto12 form PowerPractical. My OSMO powered up without any issue.
The pack supposedly has 50Wh capacity (but don't quote me on that, ask the manufacturer), IMO WAY WAY better than charging+carrying 5 individual OSMO battery (10.8Wh each) packs.
The best part is, this Pronto12 pack also quick charges itself using the adapter comes with it, not to mention also charges your cellphone (USB) if needed. (my iPhone 6 drains so fast when it is being used with the OSMO at MAX brightness)

I am very happy with the result.

I hope I am not getting so called "don't use third party" comment from DJI in this thread as I don't know what's the difference between electrons comes from a 12V DC battery pack than a Phantom4 battery pack.
Also, I am not affiliated in anyway with PowerPractical except I pre-ordered this power pack on Kickstarted few years ago, now it is a real released product.

2016-7-8
Use props
kta.rex7
lvl.1

United States

I have done something similar with my portable lithium ion jumpstarter.

This is rated at 10,000 mAh and assuming 5 volts, that's 50,000 mW-hour.  Divide into 10,080 mW-hour of the Osmo battery gives you about 5 hours.  As a bonus, I can charge my iPhone at the same time.
2016-7-9
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

Very nice...

Although the similar battery pack with 14000mAh and 12V output only sells for about $38 here in China, while this American brand sells for $99.
2016-7-10
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

kta.rex7@gmail. Posted at 2016-7-9 23:46
I have done something similar with my portable lithium ion jumpstarter.

This is rated at 10,000 mAh ...

These booster packs are great, everyone who owns a car should have one.
2016-7-10
Use props
info
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for sharing your idea! Will I need ALL 3 items?The external-battery-extender, the phantom-4-car-charger-kit, and the Pronto 12?
I can't just connect the Pronto 12 to the osmo external battery extender?

Did your Phantom 4 - Car Charger Kit plug directly into the Pronto 12, or did you have to make a modification?Thanks.

2016-7-10
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

info@moonlightv Posted at 2016-7-11 13:51
Thanks for sharing your idea! Will I need ALL 3 items?The external-battery-extender, the phantom-4-c ...

Hi, you can check these two, the first offers a variety of conversion ports, at least one will work. This way, you don't need the p4 carcharger any more

https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower- ... &keywords=anker+12v

https://www.amazon.com/Intocircu ... &keywords=anker+12v

About the capacity, the first one is about 1.2 Pronto, the second one is about 1.8 Pronto
2016-7-10
Use props
info
lvl.1

United States

huntcool001@gma Posted at 2016-7-11 00:43
Hi, you can check these two, the first offers a variety of conversion ports, at least one will work ...

Thanks. So this should work, too. Correct?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-2000 ... 26sd%3D201609297485
2016-7-10
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

Yes, it will. But according to my online shopping experience and knowledge about electronics in China, don't buy these non-branded batteries on ebay. It might work for a few times, including kickstarting your car, but for prolong usage, the battery at this price will almost certainly die very fast.

There cheap batteries are very likely made of used batteries disassembled from broken electronics.  That's why I recommend sticking with Amazon.

2016-7-11
Use props
info
lvl.1

United States

huntcool001@gma Posted at 2016-7-11 01:02
Yes, it will. But according to my online shopping experience and knowledge about electronics in Chi ...

Great advice! Thank you.
2016-7-11
Use props
Rich_Bastable
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi All,

I know the post is old but I've been looking at similar work arounds.

Specifically a way to portably charge battery's.

Using a portable battery pack (20000mah) with a DC output (can output up to 65w) and connecting the DC output to the OSMO quad charging hub.

Does this sound feasible?

Does anyone know what size (in mm) the dc input to the quad hub is? So I know to get the correct connector.

Thanks
2017-4-15
Use props
Jakester
lvl.1

United States

you could also use the battery adapter with the wall brick than an ac powerbank.
2018-8-5
Use props
Jakester
lvl.1

United States

you could also use the battery adapter with the wall brick than an ac powerbank.
2018-8-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules