Rotating when descending
1932 10 2016-7-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cka3ka2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 73471 ft
United States

I only had my P3 Advanced for a week, and last time I flew it, I noticed that it's rotating (yawing?) when descending, especially from high altitude (over 100ft). It doesn't do that when ascending. I thought maybe I accidently held stick to the side, but no I'm holding it straight down... Is something needs to be calibrated or it's some kind of physical phenomena?
2016-7-13
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Do the RC calibration and try it again.  I frequently do things like your rotation and find that I really am not pulling the stick straight down.  I really wish there was a stronger center detent in the sticks.
2016-7-13
Use props
kdcox
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1386588 ft
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-7-13 18:04
Do the RC calibration and try it again.  I frequently do things like your rotation and find that I r ...

so do I AGON.  I once asked about tightening the stick gimbals (like you can do in a JR/Futaba radio by opening the case and tightening the proper spring screw) and was told by a poster here that it is possible but I haven't done it yet myself.

2016-7-13
Use props
Richard in Bois
lvl.3
Flight distance : 34721 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the same issue when descending from high altitudes using Litchi.  Does not do it when ascending, only descending.  I am not using the sticks, it is during a programmed waypoint mission.
2016-7-13
Use props
quint7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 518455 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have this exact same problem. I try and try and it spins slowly when descending.
2016-7-13
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Have you tried calibrated your RC?     Also calibrate IMU.

You can direct the drone to descend with a button in DJI Go, instead of using RC.  Does the rotating still happen?
Also, it would be helpful if you can shoot a video of this.

Thank you.
2016-7-13
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

You can also adjust the Expo tuning values to make the stick center region more "dead".  Go to main controller settings, advanced settings, exp, and change the values in the boxes down towards 0.20.  You will then have to push the stick much further away from center to start moving in that direction.  The downside is that the outside of the stick range will be much more sensitive.  Combine this modification with lengthening the sticks.  They unscrew to loosen, extend the top piece, then tighten up the lower half to lock it in place.  This will give it more "feel" and make it  harder to input accidental movements to the sticks.
2016-7-14
Use props
Rabidman
lvl.1

United States

have you tried balancing your props or making sure that there are not burs on the edges from the injection molding process, Lets say one propeller is creating more drag causing the motor to spin slower than normal you would have an imbalance of torque causing the aircraft to yaw. Also if you descend quickly there is air resistance, turbulance, gravity, low motor RPM, and basically everything else in the world trying to crash your drone and the computer is doing its best to keep it stable so it might yaw a bit.
2016-7-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Also play back your flight record and enable the stick movements (the RC icon) and when you descend see if there's a tiny amount of the blue bar or % on the yaw. Use your finger on the slider ball to scroll very slowly through the timeline of your flight.
2016-7-15
Use props
cka3ka2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 73471 ft
United States

Thanks guys, especially DJI-Ken!
I didn't think of replaying and checking sticks, but Ken you absolute spot on! Replaying flight record shows that stick was pushing to the right at about 13%. Could be my finger or it needs calibration. I will try above suggestion on calibrating joystick!
As for landing it automatically, I need to find big enough clearing as of right now I'm maneuvering around trees in my backyard when lifting off or landing...
2016-7-15
Use props
quint7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 518455 ft
  • >>>
United States

I  haven't tried any of the above yet, but I do have a video (from the bird) of basically what is happening. I did check the sticks on the flight record and it always shows when descending as if I'm pushing the stick to the right up to 28% as well, while descending always to the right. But I'm not pushing it at all that way. (I always understand there might be a little pressure.) I know sometimes you might do this unknowingly, but I've been testing this and I don't like going high cause it always spins coming down. So when I pull down anywhere from 30-100 percent, it is always showing 25% or so to the right. Here is the video. And I will try the things above and report as to what happens, but I am not unknowingly applying that much pressure to the right.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tm0sd ... Descending.mov?dl=0

Thanks,

Q
2016-7-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules