Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
"Follow the Leader"
12Next >
2202 40 2016-7-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>

The Phantom 3 Standards "Miss Ruby" & "Darth Videous" play "Follow the Leader" above lights of Baltimore.

(aircraft equipped with kevlar shells for safety)

2016-7-14
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, since 06:00, what was the noise in the background?
2016-7-14
Use props
lignow
Second Officer
Canada

Amazing video, I like those night shots. Great range, did you use some sort of a antenna boost.
2016-7-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

WOW, did you guys follow the aircraft?If not, that's some crazy range and flying behind the building and not losing signal is great.
2016-7-18
Use props
EdM
Captain
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

Unreal range and fight time.   How did you guys pull it off?    Great vid!
2016-7-18
Use props
EdM
Captain
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>

After studying your work I think I have more of it figured out, which makes it even more amazing.   The real tipoff was all the lost signal events on the lead bird.  

Don’t think this was just a one shot, off the cuff, event.   Would you mind sharing the amount of preflights and preplanning that went into it, pretty sure it was a bunch?

Great work!
2016-7-19
Use props
chippy96
lvl.3
Flight distance : 820 ft
United Kingdom

EdM Posted at 2016-7-19 16:35
After studying your work I think I have more of it figured out, which makes it even more amazing.    ...

Superb
2016-7-19
Use props
chippy96
lvl.3
Flight distance : 820 ft
United Kingdom

Superb
2016-7-19
Use props
TheRann4u
Captain

United States

Great stuff!! a lot to see at night!!
2016-7-19
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

How did you fly the P3S behind buildings but still have signal?  That's very impressive.
2016-7-20
Use props
Jasonstarbird
lvl.3
Flight distance : 116998 ft
United States

I have had a little communication with the OP and he's using a app called Litchi to program the mission. when it does this its totally autonomous and doesn't require the RC. it's the coolest and the scariest stuff I've seen yet. I did buy the Software Litchi and so far it's working as advertised.
2017-1-30
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Flashing yellow lights indicate NO SIGNAL
2017-1-30
Use props
Old Guy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106447 ft
United States

Great video!! I do not usually make it all the way through long videos but I did this one. Love night time videos.
2017-1-30
Use props
Old Guy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106447 ft
United States

Did a little calculating on Google Earth. From the take off point to the TransAmerica Tower is exactly 2 miles.
2017-1-30
Use props
Tom24nh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 174239 ft
United States

so you both programmed a whypoint  and let them go?
2017-3-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Cool video. Night flights rule. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-3-7
Use props
Badbobstikibar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 620112 ft
United States

That was one of the best videos I've seen yet for night flight. Awesome range for a standard and cahonas. Lol

BadBob
2017-3-7
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

Tom24nh Posted at 2017-3-7 17:09
so you both programmed a whypoint  and let them go?

Yep.  That's what he did.  It's cool because you can see the flashing yellow lights warning of no RC connection, haha.  He enters the edge of range around 1:25 and then the connection becomes intermittent for a while before being lost completely.  You can see he regains RC connection at 14:02.  I would imagine he had a live tracker on at least one of the Phantoms.  Definitely the best mission I've ever seen.  
2017-3-8
Use props
eliot may
lvl.4
Flight distance : 245367 ft
United States

I agree it is amazing. What about the "no flying over people / populated areas" what if a bird went down and landed on someones car? I just ask because I'd like to make a video flying over my city but I'd be afraid of that sort of accident. Very ballsy and awsome either way. Nice work!!
2017-3-8
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

Well, for one thing, the vid was made before the new regs came out on Aug 29.  <shrug>

But there are some notable quotes in his description on the youtube page...

"He's going to ruin my company!" - Frank Wang, DJI CEO
2017-3-8
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-7-14 04:19
Hi, since 06:00, what was the noise in the background?

The popping noises?  That is something injected by the Yahoo Video Editor.  When you listen to a track before adding it to your video the sound is fine but, if the audio contains quiet segments, you hear this annoying popping after their editor processes the final video.
2017-3-19
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

lignow Posted at 2016-7-18 08:45
Amazing video, I like those night shots. Great range, did you use some sort of a antenna boost.

Thank you.  I love night videos over the city too.  It presents an entirely new atmosphere & perspective to the video.  This was a Litchi autonomous mission I programmed flown by my two P3 Standards.  The birds are stock but no RC contact is required once the mission was loaded & launched.  They are running the programmed mission on their own.
2017-3-19
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-18 09:44
WOW, did you guys follow the aircraft?If not, that's some crazy range and flying behind the building and not losing signal is great.

This is a Litchi mission I created & ran with my two P3 Standards.   I programmed, tested, & tweaked the initial mission numerous times to be sure it was reliable.  I also time-tested each bird several times to ascertain if one was faster than the other.  "Darth Videous" is ~1-2 seconds slower than "Miss Ruby" over the 7.2 mile mission so that one is in the rear.  Pretty amazing over a 7.2 miles mission how accurately the two birds follow the program.  

Once I was confident the mission was reliable I duplicated the mission, adjusted the chase bird mission start point back 25' & the end point slightly off to the side so they would not collide at the end.   Then I adjusted each waypoint for the chase bird +10' for vertical separation.  When I was ready to launch I prepped each bird, paused them start point, then released them in unison.  "Follow the Leader" is the result.  It was me alone handling both birds.  I had a curious friend along with me observing (the security vehicle you see), and another friend downtown spotting at the base of the World Trade Center (the building that gets spiraled several times).  You can see him in the video on the final spiral.  I deliberately left all the lights on for both birds so they would be visible & uniform from the ground.  My friend spotting at the WTC said it was the coolest looking thing watching them approach, spiral the building, fly off, then return back again.  Wish he had a camera recording it!  
2017-3-19
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

EdM Posted at 2016-7-18 12:52
Unreal range and fight time.   How did you guys pull it off?    Great vid!

Thanks.  It was just me handling both birds.
2017-3-19
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

EdM Posted at 2016-7-19 07:35
After studying your work I think I have more of it figured out, which makes it even more amazing.   The real tipoff was all the lost signal events on the lead bird.  

Don’t think this was just a one shot, off the cuff, event.   Would you mind sharing the amount of preflights and preplanning that went into it, pretty sure it was a bunch?

Thank you.  Many hours were spend on RECON, testing, & tweaking before launching this mission.  I even time-tested the two birds individually to ensure they flew it at the same speed.  Strange reminscing back of when I originally conceiving this flight, looking back at old footage of early test flights, & what it ultimately became.

Early RECON footage:

The first "official" flight of "The Baltimore Run":

Final "solo" version of "The Baltimore Run" before "Leader" tweaks:

Current solo version (lost starting point due to UnderArmour construction):

2017-3-19
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Thank you Chippy.  Glad you enjoyed it!  
2017-3-19
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Old Guy Posted at 2017-1-30 12:45
Great video!! I do not usually make it all the way through long videos but I did this one. Love night time videos.

Thank you very much.  Many people have told me that.  There are actually several newer versions of the mission with titles, credits, & various soundtracks.  Check 'em out!
2017-3-19
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-3-8 04:26
Yep.  That's what he did.  It's cool because you can see the flashing yellow lights warning of no RC connection, haha.  He enters the edge of range around 1:25 and then the connection becomes intermittent for a while before being lost completely.  You can see he regains RC connection at 14:02.  I would imagine he had a live tracker on at least one of the Phantoms.  Definitely the best mission I've ever seen.

Thank you Mark.  No trackers on either bird.  I sure wish Flytrex would come out with a standalone model that could simply be charged & clipped to the bird.  This still remains my personal favorite mission.
2017-3-19
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

eliot may Posted at 2017-3-8 04:41
I agree it is amazing. What about the "no flying over people / populated areas" what if a bird went down and landed on someones car? I just ask because I'd like to make a video flying over my city but I'd be afraid of that sort of accident. Very ballsy and awsome either way. Nice work!!

Thanks Eliot.  Sometimes I push the envelope a bit to get the shot.  BTW sorry for the late replies I have been unable to access my account for many months.  Thank you DJI-Joe for fixing that!  SALUTE!  
2017-3-19
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-3-8 05:19
Well, for one thing, the vid was made before the new regs came out on Aug 29.   

But there are some notable quotes in his description on the youtube page...

My favorite mission quote is:

"Stay on the Leader!"  Darth Vader, Sith Lord

2017-3-19
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

"Follow the Leader: Reloaded" & the Special Edition Collection (Titles, credits, alternate scores):

2017-3-19
Use props
#shotxclvck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3423297 ft
United States

no way that was real.........tell me your secret!
2017-3-21
Use props
blackcrusader
First Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

I loved the soundtrack.  I could have been watching this in a cinema.  Maybe they should show this across US cinemas before the main flick.
2017-3-21
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

#shotxclvck Posted at 2017-3-21 21:48
no way that was real.........tell me your secret!

"Micro Light & Magic"  
2017-3-23
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-3-21 22:12
I loved the soundtrack.  I could have been watching this in a cinema.  Maybe they should show this across US cinemas before the main flick.

Thanks I appreciate that!  
2017-3-23
Use props
ufoseeker1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 397 ft
Australia

Absolutely & definitely my favourite, You must have nerves of steel.   
2017-3-23
Use props
truemush
lvl.1

United States

One word..... EPIC!!!!
2017-3-23
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ufoseeker1 Posted at 2017-3-23 04:23
Absolutely & definitely my favourite, You must have nerves of steel.

Thank you.  My personal favorite mission also.
2017-3-25
Use props
Brum Ken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 787877 ft
United Kingdom

That was amazing flying fantastic footage top draw bud
2017-3-25
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Brum Ken Posted at 2017-3-25 03:52
That was amazing flying fantastic footage top draw bud

Thank you Ken I appreciate your support!  
2017-3-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules