Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI This has become LESS tedious now since I found out you don't need CAPS!
12Next >
2787 53 2015-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
guymacdonald
Second Officer

Australia

DJI this spam has become very tedious!!

What has become more tedious is the inane procedure (Verif) which I presume was initiated to combat these Spam posts.

If verif worked I am sure we would all be happy with it but just in case you are not aware VERIF IS NOT WORKING, IN FACT SPAM HAS INCREASED!!

Why don't you make us all supply the Serial Number of our Phantom and some other verification proof of purchase check to become a forum member.

This is ridiculous and needs to be sorted out!!

In a nut shell you need to have purchased a Phantom to post (sorry you who are yet to purchase one, you will still be able to see previous posts which there are many for you to get some idea about the Phantom etc).

DJI you cannot keep ignoring this and treating your customers with contempt!!

Regards

Guy MacDonald

2015-1-26
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.4

United States

It looks like they are trying to fix the problem though. It seems spammers are manually posting, so the "verif code" is not going to stop that. The next step would probably be to start manually approving a new forum member's first several posts. But, if you think the "verif code" is disrespectful, then you'll probably hate that idea.
2015-1-26
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

PhantomHelp Posted at 2015-1-26 19:32
It looks like they are trying to fix the problem though. It seems spammers are manually posting, so  ...

"The next step would probably be to start manually approving a new forum member's first several posts"

This would work since the verif has proven to NOT work.
2015-1-26
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.4

United States

guymacdonald, preventing spam on forums is tough. It's even tougher when your forum is a spam target because you have a lot of eyes on it.

I truly hope DJI does not limit this forum to only those people who own a Phantom. That would, for example, exclude any companies who make Phantom accessories.

I don't think it's fair to keep playing the being ignored by DJI card. The "verif code" is proof that they are not ignoring the situation. They obviously don't want spam here either -- as it just creates more work for them.
2015-1-26
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.4

United States

guymacdonald, nowhere on DJI's support page does it recommend you come here and post a question for DJI if you need help. While it would be awesome if they checked this forum hourly, I'm not going to blame them for not. If you have a question for DJI, you should be contacting them via the methods on their support page:

http://www.dji.com/support

If you don't enjoy this forum, then go elsewhere. Nobody here enjoys your incessant rants about how the sky is falling.
2015-1-26
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.4

United States

I had been browsing these forums before I purchased my phantom and from what I have read many times, there are many others like myself. Im glad they don't make you have a serial number to be able to post on the forums personally.
2015-1-26
Use props
SavannahQuad
lvl.3

United States

Someone get that guy some coffee! STAT!   

Just trying to add levity.

2015-1-26
Use props
SavannahQuad
lvl.3

United States

Here are a couple, I didn't really dig into them, but they are out there.

http://www.phantompilots.com/  

http://www.djiguys.com/Forum/viewforum.php?f=4

2015-1-26
Use props
MacCool
lvl.4

United States

This forum is a little sadder than many relative to its administration and especially this funky format (what's wrong with phpBB or vBulletin - either one of which have pretty robust spam tools and are certainly easier to navigate?).

That said....some of us may have some unrealistic expectations about how and why these company-sponsored forums work. For my part, I find this forum, lame as it is, to be easily worth what I pay to use it.
2015-1-26
Use props
umpa
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I ran a forum, used captures and everything.  In the end to sop spam posts I set up account verification whereby I would get an email of a new signup and the user was unable to post until accepted.  The work load was incredible l was getting 100 fake sign ups a day, and to get around the fact they could not post they changed their signature to an advert incase I approved one in error.

Sifting through the crap was very time intensive, even when the user name was obvious like hdgdye635@gmail.com - much harder when they started using real names. I tied banning ip's & everything, but I never did sort it out in the end I gave up I simply did not have the time and recourses.

DJI on the other hand are a multimillion dollar company, I think they could and should either employ some one to moderate or at least allow the forum to be moderated by a few of us.
2015-1-26
Use props
MacCool
lvl.4

United States

guymacdonald Posted at 2015-1-26 21:24
Whats wrong with being a verified member before you can post.

Being able to post using a bogus em ...

Nothing is wrong with being a verified member before you can post. I recommend it and have required it for every vBulletin-driven forum I've ever owned or adminstrated. There are many ways this forum could be improved, starting with using better software, but even being a registered member isn't foolproof. The simplest and most effective place to start is being a registered member, and having to answer some basic question (like 2+3=?) just to prove that your not a bot at registration.

I agree, as discussion forums go, this isn't a great one. Nevertheless, I occasionally get useful information from you all, and since I don't pay to use it, my expectations are not quite as high as some peoples'.
2015-1-26
Use props
MacCool
lvl.4

United States

guymacdonald Posted at 2015-1-26 21:27
Let's all just settle for sub-standard!

How much are you willing to pay to have it be first-class?
2015-1-26
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

I was sitting here this morning and saw 4 spammers pop up in the matter of 45 minutes.  If I had delete capability, they would have been gone as soon as they came on.  Why can't DJI give some members that have 1000 credits or more that capability to delete them?  That would save a lot of frustration from the members and save DJI more time to answer legitimate questions.
2015-1-26
Use props
markus2015
Second Officer

Germany

Only allowing verified phantom owners is a wrong move. Many need advice before purchase. The best method to prevent fake accounts is to send a verification code via SMS to ones phone, then  use that code to activate your account. Paypal and millions of other forums do this. And I agree with Gerry to set up a gang of "Forum Admins" and grant them privileges to delete posts.
2015-1-26
Use props
Swerve
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I think it would be difficult for DJI to select administrators from the present membership as this forum is so new and we see quite a few conflicting opinions. It would be no good giving deletion powers to someone who could remove stuff because "they" don't like it or the poster. However with the points system it would, maybe, be possible to use the "report" button on each post and set up an auto delete when the reporters points go above a certain number. The more senior members have more points and hence a bigger say in what gets removed. Just a thought.
2015-1-26
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.4

United States

Swerve, that's an excellent idea.
2015-1-26
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

Swerve Posted at 2015-1-27 04:07
I think it would be difficult for DJI to select administrators from the present membership as this f ...

Most posters that have been here for awhile recognize spam when they see it.  Spam would be immediately deleted and disrespect to other posters and politics would also be deleted.  We do NOT need any of that here.  Everything pertaining to DJI or any associated equipment would stay as posted.  Just this morning, I saw 4 spammers post in 45 minutes.  If I had the delete capability, they would have been gone before anyone knew they were ever here.
2015-1-26
Use props
Swerve
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-27 04:30
Most posters that have been here for awhile recognize spam when they see it.  Spam would be immedi ...

I'm not sure I get your point here.
2015-1-26
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

Swerve Posted at 2015-1-27 04:39
I'm not sure I get your point here.

Give the posters that have been here for awhile with authorization to delete posts.
2015-1-26
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.4

United States

Gerry1124, going by just accumulated post counts could be dangerous. By looking at this thread alone, we can already see some people with high post counts fly off the handle...
2015-1-26
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

PhantomHelp Posted at 2015-1-27 04:58
Gerry1124, going by just accumulated post counts could be dangerous. By looking at this thread alone ...

That would be for DJI to decide as to who they would select.  If you have a workable idea, please present it.
2015-1-26
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.4

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-27 05:02
That would be for DJI to decide as to who they would select.  If you have a workable idea, please  ...

I like Swerve's idea. Power of the masses.

In reality though, DJI is not going to give a non employee the power to delete posts.
2015-1-26
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

PhantomHelp Posted at 2015-1-27 05:11
I like Swerve's idea. Power of the masses.

In reality though, DJI is not going to give a non empl ...

Swerve's idea

The more senior members have more points and hence a bigger say in what gets removed. Just a thought.

Now, isn't that the same as what I've been saying?
2015-1-26
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.4

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-27 05:17
Swerve's idea

The more senior members have more points and hence a bigger say in what gets remove ...

I'm not sure. It sounded like you were suggesting a single senior member should have the power to determine a post could be deleted.
2015-1-26
Use props
gnixon2015
First Officer

United States

crowd source it... if enough senior members click the 'delete this post' button then off it goes.  that avoids the 'i am an asshat admin abuse factor'... good idea, unfortunately, it will never see the light of day... just like all of the good ideas coming out of this dysfunctional forum...
2015-1-26
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

PhantomHelp Posted at 2015-1-27 05:21
I'm not sure. It sounded like you were suggesting a single senior member should have the power to  ...

That's what you get for thinking and not asking questions.  Another post I suggested anyone with more than 500 or 1000 points have that authorization.
2015-1-26
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.4

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-27 05:26
That's what you get for thinking and not asking questions.  Another post I suggested anyone with m ...

I think your post count is going to your head now. I simply read what you posted above.

I said it once... but, I'll say it again. Some members with high post counts on here should not be trusted...
2015-1-26
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

PhantomHelp Posted at 2015-1-27 05:30
I think your post count is going to your head now. I simply read what you posted above.

I said it ...

Like YOU by any chance?  Post count isn't going to my head,  I've been here since August helping people fix their problems,  I don't criticize them.
2015-1-26
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.4

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-27 05:32
Like YOU by any chance?

You got it

But, I'm not the one who wants the power to delete posts. That's you.
2015-1-26
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

PhantomHelp Posted at 2015-1-27 05:34
You got it

But, I'm not the one who wants the power to delete posts. That's you.

Like I said earlier, that's what you get when you think without knowing anything of the other person.  I never said I wanted that authorization, I just said I recognize spam when I see it, and people getting arguments started to build up their own points.  Have a good day.  Enough said.
2015-1-26
Use props
trailtec.email
lvl.3

Australia

MacCool Posted at 2015-1-26 21:19
This forum is a little sadder than many relative to its administration and especially this funky for ...

Nothing wrong with either of those platforms and I use both on a couple of fora I own with far more members than here (combined total close to 200k). The problem is that both the above have an English based back end and the software in use here is one of the few choices available with a Chinese back end. Unfortunately it's crap and missing a whole heap of features necessary to a successful forum. We are simply going to have to make the best of it or go elsewhere. The bad thing for DJI is that a badly functioning forum doesn't paint them in a very good light.

As you say email verification combined with recaptcha on joining and software that checks the Stop Forum Spam database of known spam URLs, IPs and emails works just fine even with 100s of join ups a day. If I were to switch email verification off I get 100s of spam posts a day and with it all on we get maybe one or two a week.

As I said elsewhere running a successful forum is an art and these guys just haven't learnt it yet. The question is whether or not they will be  bothered to do so.
2015-1-26
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.4

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-27 05:39
Like I said earlier, that's what you get when you think without knowing anything of the other pers ...

Thinking before you type is always recommended. Good day, sir.
2015-1-26
Use props
gnixon2015
First Officer

United States

if gerry deletes one of my posts, im going to drive up to his house and tp his yard
2015-1-26
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-1-27 06:01
if gerry deletes one of my posts, im going to drive up to his house and tp his yard

Now why would I delete any of your posts, unless you are the spammer, and I know you are not, or bring politics in here. BTW, if you do come up here, bring your Phantom and a shovel.
2015-1-26
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.4

United States

guymacdonald, it's not that I distrust people with high post counts. I think it's best to let anyone hit the "Report" link -- and then make it so if enough people click it. Someone with a low post count is not less trustworthy than someone with a high post count. The post count is just a meaningless number.
2015-1-26
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

PhantomHelp Posted at 2015-1-27 06:05
guymacdonald, it's not that I distrust people with high post counts. I think it's best to let anyone ...

Everyone already HAS that option to hit the report, but DJI doesn't do anything about it.
2015-1-26
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.4

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-27 06:07
Everyone already HAS that option to hit the report, but DJI doesn't do anything about it.

DJI won't need to do it if they reprogram that feature to auto delete posts after X reports.
2015-1-26
Use props
Swerve
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Perhaps we could see if DJI do listen by everyone who is interested in clicking either the support or oppose button on the following proposition

"With the points (Credit) system it would be possible to use the "report" button on each post and set up an auto delete when the reporters points go above a certain number. The more senior members have more points and hence a bigger say in what gets removed"

P.S You can't support, oppose or report your own posts! (really you can't)
2015-1-26
Use props
Northofthe49th
Captain

Canada

A few other forums I am on for off-roading etc. have moderators, super moderators and an Administrator as voted on by the aforementioned...those positions were earned out of respect of their peers and were formerly members/senior members that know their $hit so to speak and never hesitate to offer input ideas etc...
Every position is nominated..
It works great and they'll put you in line if you're off-base with regard to language/politics etc..
Spammers don't last but a minute or two and are booted out quickly.
Additionally there are forum sponsors that are able to promote after market parts etc. that are pertinent to the forum and they pay to do this.
Just my .02
2015-1-26
Use props
MacCool
lvl.4

United States

Having owned or administered several internet fora over the years, I gotta say this thread is classic. First, people complain about the way it's run as if they owned or financed it in some way and actually had a right to demand changes. Then they start nominating their own candidates for moderators or administrators. I would be astonished if DJI agreed to that, but hopefully they'll continue to try to improve this forum. I suspect they won't be able to, however...the underpinning software just doesn't have it.
2015-1-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules