Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Hovered, Gimbal twitched then drift away
3415 26 2015-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AshInspire1
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Had this odd flight today with my inspire 1 when it suddenly went out of control i noticed.

It was hovering when the Gimbal twitched then started to drift away very quickly, (quicker than it looks), i held onto the right stick and it was if the inspire was fighting to come back and stay in line and was so slanted on its one side, but luckily it regained but explanation would be grateful.

2015-1-26
Use props
gizadog.email
lvl.3
United States

I get random twitching in flight but it never takes off like yours. Have you calibrated the IMU?
2015-1-26
Use props
AshInspire1
lvl.4

United Kingdom

gizadog.email Posted at 2015-1-26 23:10
I get random twitching in flight but it never takes off like yours. Have you calibrated the IMU?

Yep all is calibrated etc latest software. Done a couple of flights but this one lost its way quite a bit half way through
2015-1-26
Use props
gizadog.email
lvl.3
United States

AshInspire1 Posted at 2015-1-26 23:16
Yep all is calibrated etc latest software. Done a couple of flights but this one lost its way quit ...

Were you watching your GPS signal while flying? See any lost of signal?
2015-1-26
Use props
metalios
lvl.4
Flight distance : 892703 ft
  • >>>
United States

Seems like it switched to atti mode. Fortunately, the Inspire was in sight and you were able to recover. I would definitely contact DJI and send them your log.  There is at least one other thread here where unrequested atti is suspected to be the culprit of a loss.
2015-1-26
Use props
pauldean85.emai
lvl.4

United Kingdom

This is EXACTLY what mine did a couple of days ago.

I also noticed my Inspire whilst hovering was leaning to the right, perhaps 5/10 degrees off level. It holding position though, not drifting.
I've flown my Phantom 2 from the same location around 40 times without any problems, although I guess the Inspire's gear is more sensitive?

The twitching of the camera is probably something to do with an abnormal compass signal, which triggers the change to ATTI mode.

The only difference with my video (which I'm uploading now) was that there was no wind, so it didn't really drift after it entered Atti mode.
2015-1-26
Use props
pauldean85.emai
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Here it is:

Just to give an overview, the first twitch is at roughly 18 seconds, at that time I decided to bring it home.

It did it a second time, with a very brief error at ~33 seconds, so I lowered the legs and reduced altitude, just in case It decided to land hard or something (this was before I was aware it was a normal behaviour).

Also, this video is a good example of why you should leave the sharpness setting above zero in the app
2015-1-26
Use props
AcesAreWld
lvl.3

United States

I didn't have the drift away, but my gimbal (and many other people's too) tweaks out the same way.

My thread: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... astpost&lang=en

My video: http://youtu.be/vTlLeU3TUyc
2015-1-26
Use props
AshInspire1
lvl.4

United Kingdom

pauldean85.emai Posted at 2015-1-27 00:23
Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQRaQEOg_3I

exactly the same there paul, i don't mind if I'm in an open space but imagine if its some where quite tight, it should NOT be doing this at all, it is dangerous for sure and plus it decides to give me any more heart attacks i might not be here to see all the bugs out of it
2015-1-26
Use props
pauldean85.emai
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Problem is if something is throwing the compass off, there's not much it can safely do about it, aside from going into Atti mode automatically. The only plus I guess is that if you're in close quarters to something you might hit, hopefully you'll be in the optical flow range, which would prevent drift, even in Atti mode (I think, at least...)

Still early days yet - I'm sure future firmware updates will smooth out issues like this
2015-1-26
Use props
AshInspire1
lvl.4

United Kingdom

pauldean85.emai Posted at 2015-1-27 01:04
Problem is if something is throwing the compass off, there's not much it can safely do about it, asi ...

wel lets hope there working on new firmware. I just don't mind it having all these bends, but all i care about is it falling out the sky and having to deal with the whole it wasn't my fault process to dji and then you may still lost all the money
2015-1-26
Use props
lrwskyfilms
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Possible gimbal calibration needed, cheers Mark
2015-1-26
Use props
AshInspire1
lvl.4

United Kingdom

lrwskyfilms Posted at 2015-1-27 01:14
Possible gimbal calibration needed, cheers Mark

i do a cali an imu every flight knowing the bugs in there at the minute and this is my 2nd inspire now with a gimbal twitch. I'll see how it goes over the next couple of flights fingers crossed.
2015-1-26
Use props
daver/m
Second Officer
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Sounds like maybe the inspire is getting confused , the iPad and the dji radio control unit are fighting to keep a connection or that the set amount of transmission signal power is lacking or interrupted easily ? Lots going on with this new bird ... I keep hearing goes to atti , ipad crash , etc ... The main rc controller needs to be able to take over with a tablet attached or not .. And if it looses tablet connection it needs to then only respond correctly from the pilots inputs , return home function too ! When my tablet takes a shit then I want full and immediate control , automatically cutting the tablets use... Or a switch that enables only my input to flight controller , also dji get a clue put the satellite info in Number of sats connected .... Geez a no freaking brainer Dah... And think ..Light bridge , rc controller, and an iPad ?? Hmmmm.
2015-1-26
Use props
skyml
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4741906 ft
United States

AcesAreWld Posted at 2015-1-27 00:59
I didn't have the drift away, but my gimbal (and many other people's too) tweaks out the same way.

I'm experiencing this same problem... have been addressing it with DJI tech support for the past week and sent them one of my videos showing the gimbal twerk.  They're looking into it.
2015-1-26
Use props
chrisgeigerphot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13046529 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am also seeing twitching of the gimbal at the exact same time that I receive the compass error on screen and the Inspire status indicator on the rear of the aircraft goes from flashing green to flashing orange. I have sent video, screen shots and flight logs to DJI. The compass errors usually last just a few seconds but it disturbs the shot and the aircraft can drift if there is wind when it is in ATTI mode. I've had the compass error last as long as a minute.
This is a photo of my screen during one of the compass errors. They are happening 2-5 times per flight for me. The compass error causes the gimbal to jerk around at the same time. You can see the horizon in this shot.
cumpass-disturbed.jpg
2015-1-26
Use props
AcesAreWld
lvl.3

United States

skyml Posted at 2015-1-27 02:32
I'm experiencing this same problem... have been addressing it with DJI tech support for the past w ...

Let me know what you hear back... I'd be interested in seeing if they tell you to RMA it (~1 month process or more) like they did for me.
2015-1-26
Use props
GlenBC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 168438 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have gimbal skip problem also. Plus sometimes the horizon is not level. Off a few degrees then skips to level.
Contacted DJI through chat and they stated they were aware and working on firmware fix.
2015-1-26
Use props
bsigman.email
lvl.1

United States

have all of you that have gimbal twitch/skip problems using firmware V16?
2015-1-26
Use props
hleitner.email
New

United States

Just my 2 cents:

I had a twitch yesterday, but only shooting in 4K. All my flights that where shot at 1080P where twitches lol...

Is it possible that the amount of data being processed is causing this? Just guessing...
2015-1-26
Use props
airymok
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2623652 ft
China

i also doubt whether you are using the latest v16 firmware...
2015-1-26
Use props
DJI-Howard
lvl.4

China

Could you pls take a screen shot of the firmware version page?
We need your log for further analysis. So could you pls help to send a mail to autumn.a@dji.com with the post link?
I'll reply to tell you the method to access flight log.
2015-1-26
Use props
AshInspire1
lvl.4

United Kingdom

DJI-Howard Posted at 2015-1-27 15:07
We need your log for further analysis ...

No problem Howard, i know its v16. I will send you an email now with the video link
2015-1-27
Use props
owen.email
lvl.4
Flight distance : 267316 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Howard Posted at 2015-1-27 15:07
We need your log for further analysis ...

Hi Howard, got mine on Saturday. Having the same problem. Can you recommend a fix yet? My firmware is up to date.

many thanks
2015-2-2
Use props
pauldean85.emai
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I am 99% certain the gimble twitch (in my case anyway) was related to abnormal compass readings.

Since that video it's not twitched once in three flights (would be more, but the weather here sucks).

I am on Firmware v16.
2015-2-2
Use props
clintbarton.ema
lvl.1

United States

I have the same issue on V16. DJI had me send my inspire in last week because of this issue. I will provide an update when I get it back.

2015-2-2
Use props
Playful Monster
lvl.3

United States

I am having the same problems it happens twice every flight then flys great for the rest of the flight. If I don't crash in the first two gps drops it heaven to fly
2015-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules