Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Security: How do Dji secure that not hackers can hi-jack the drone
6891 26 2015-1-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hakan.mauritzon
lvl.1

Sweden

Please explain how you as a company have built in security in app and software today and overtime, so that I and others flying Inpsire 1 or other DJI products do not end up after a app or software update with a highjacked drone that a hacker can have put on a predecided move.
2015-1-27
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6690 ft
United States

Well I don't think you will get many responses with this post but from what I think I know you can only fly 3 Inspires around each other. I'm not sure I understand the motivation for this post?

Mike
2015-1-27
Use props
Blade_Strike
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

For one you need direct usb access for the app to operate.  2nd the control / video is a secure link, air and ground end must be paired.
2015-1-27
Use props
lzrman.email
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7598451 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Someone is a tad bit to worried that someone will remotely take control of their inspire 1 and steal it?!
2015-1-27
Use props
xzces
lvl.3
Flight distance : 81526 ft
  • >>>
Suriname

Simple answer, the inspire doesn't fly by app, it flies by 5.8 ghz radio transmitter. The app is just an extension of the transmitter. Your chances of it being hacked or as great as garage door openers and security transmitters being hacked. That being said anything is possible, but very highly unlikely.
2015-1-27
Use props
UM305
lvl.3

United States

uhmmmmmmmm...
2015-1-27
Use props
rmaxwell.email
lvl.4
Flight distance : 698661 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hi hakan,

I am a retired electronics engineer and I will try to explain how the system works.  It uses what is called 2.4 Ghz spread spectrum.  (Note the video downlink uses 5.8Ghz)  Each transmitter manufactured for radio control in the world is given a unique digital code for each transmitter.  When you "bind" a transmitter to the receiver in the Inspire One it establishes a connection between the two units that is unique.  This way no other transmitter will interfere with the control of your unit.  Spektrum radio gear claims they have flown 100 radio controlled aircraft at the same site without any interference.  Note that the limit of three units probably applies to the video downlink from the camera, in as much as it takes far more radio bandwidth to send the video down then to send the control signals up to the unit.

So...I would suggest that if you have many units flying at one location, you will get interference with the video downlink far sooner than interference with the control of your Inspire One.

Hope this helps,

Ray
2015-1-27
Use props
hakan.mauritzon
lvl.1

Sweden

rmaxwell.email Posted at 2015-1-28 13:31
Hi hakan,

I am a retired electronics engineer and I will try to explain how the system works.  It u ...

Thanks for answer, I do not mean transmitting interference with radio. I mean when downloading new firewire etc then if a hacker have put in a chain of command. For example. When drone has been in air for 5 minutes then turn fly away and hit target.... etc...
2015-1-28
Use props
hakan.mauritzon
lvl.1

Sweden

thanakarnchai.e Posted at 2015-1-28 12:57
You  question  what  mean Hi-Jack  App or Hi-Jack  Drone

Thanks for answer, I do not mean transmitting interference with radio. I mean when downloading new firewire etc then if a hacker have put in a chain of command. For example. When drone has been in air for 5 minutes then turn fly away and hit target.... etc...
2015-1-28
Use props
hakan.mauritzon
lvl.1

Sweden

xzces Posted at 2015-1-28 11:42
Simple answer, the inspire doesn't fly by app, it flies by 5.8 ghz radio transmitter. The app is jus ...

2015-1-28
Use props
hakan.mauritzon
lvl.1

Sweden

svencool Posted at 2015-1-28 09:47
Well I don't think you will get many responses with this post but from what I think I know you can o ...

2015-1-28
Use props
hakan.mauritzon
lvl.1

Sweden

svencool Posted at 2015-1-28 09:47
Well I don't think you will get many responses with this post but from what I think I know you can o ...

2015-1-28
Use props
Blade_Strike
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

xzces Posted at 2015-1-28 11:42
Simple answer, the inspire doesn't fly by app, it flies by 5.8 ghz radio transmitter. The app is jus ...

It doesn't fly by 5.8, 5.8 is the transmission freq being used between the master and slave controllers. 2.4ghz is the control and video downlink.
2015-1-28
Use props
Blade_Strike
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

rmaxwell.email Posted at 2015-1-28 13:31
Hi hakan,

I am a retired electronics engineer and I will try to explain how the system works.  It u ...

Incorrect, both video and control link are through the 2.4ghx stream.
2015-1-28
Use props
Blade_Strike
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hakan.mauritzon Posted at 2015-1-29 04:40
Thanks for answer, I do not mean transmitting interference with radio. I mean when downloading new ...

Someone need direct access to load a new firmware. Since no one except DJI has source code, you need not to worry.
2015-1-28
Use props
xzces
lvl.3
Flight distance : 81526 ft
  • >>>
Suriname

Blade_Strike Posted at 2015-1-29 04:47
It doesn't fly by 5.8, 5.8 is the transmission freq being used between the master and slave contro ...

My bad, it's 2.4 and yes both signals pass through the same connection, unlike the phantom. But I really doubt a hacker would be able to take control of the drone. It would be much easier to steal your transmitter and fly it away lol.
2015-1-28
Use props
Blade_Strike
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I think you're right..
2015-1-28
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

A few articles out lately on this lately but maybe you coders can tell if its nonsense or not.

http://gizmodo.com/new-malware-c ... d-flight-1682100201

http://motherboard.vice.com/en_u ... to-crash-your-drone
2015-1-28
Use props
Blade_Strike
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Impossible on the dji craft. The phone does not controll the drone. Now on a parrot type system, definitely possible.
2015-1-28
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

Well then good on DJI although I don't think most of us are in any danger of someone taking the time to do this unless we are carrying something quite valuable and they are obsessed enough with us  to follow us around waiting for our 20 minute flight  
2015-1-28
Use props
hakan.mauritzon
lvl.1

Sweden

Blade_Strike Posted at 2015-1-29 04:49
Someone need direct access to load a new firmware. Since no one expect DJI has soruce code, you ne ...

And if that gets hacked?
2015-1-29
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

daninperth Posted at 2015-1-29 08:16
Well then good on DJI although I don't think most of us are in any danger of someone taking the time ...

LOl now that's stalking!!
2015-1-29
Use props
Blade_Strike
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

What happens when the floor opens up and swallows you whole?

I can play this game
2015-1-29
Use props
hakan.mauritzon
lvl.1

Sweden

Excuse my english. But I do not mean when flying the drone it get hi-jacked. As I tried to explain I mean due to that Dji will have a lot of things to be decided via the app. For example "no-fly-zones" etc then what will happened if someone hack the machine via an "app decision" and for example when pressing the home button the drone instead "do something else" or when the system warns for low battery and then the drone "do something else". Hope you understand.

2015-1-29
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Blade_Strike Posted at 2015-1-30 05:33
What happens when the floor opens up and swallows you whole?

I can play this game

Good for you Blade. The initial post is alarmist without good reason
2015-2-16
Use props
djiuser_e08k81qRTMOd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 576260 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

garage doors and cars are hacked everyday. the tech is there for cars and garages, does this mean drones can too?
2021-3-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules