Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Focus Motor Dead... Again
6050 15 2016-8-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
info
lvl.3

United States

So I just got a broken motor back from the service center.  Referrenced in this thread:  http://forum.dji.com/thread-58264-1-1.html

I used it the day it arrived for a 2 hour quick shoot.  Worked great.

I used it yesterday and it worked for the first take, then stopped working.  I felt the motor which was connected to the p-tap port on the Ronin and the DJI Focus Motor was VERY HOT to the touch.  I unplugged it and tried to let it cool, but pretty sure it's fried.  The gear won't even turn by hand, just completely locked (LED light on and shows connected to the remote).

So this 2nd motor lasted all of 3 hours of work.  I need to send it in, but to be honest I just don't know if I can trust it anymore.  I've completely stalled and ruined two shoot days now.  How can I be confident in the 3rd motor I receive?

Is there somethign I'm doing?  The DJI FOCUS motor was on the Ronin, plugged into the P-Tap port and pulling focus on a still lens on a DSLR, nothing fancy or too difficult.

Any help would be great.

Thanks, Brian
2016-8-12
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I'm sorry to hear you're still having issues. To clarify, do you use a battery power distrubutor on your Ronin as well? Do you use any other accessories with the Ronin?
2016-8-12
Use props
info
lvl.3

United States

Used the standard battery on the Ronin. Then plugged in DJI Focus into p-tap port in power block on Ronin

No other accessories
2016-8-12
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

info@ssp.la Posted at 2016-8-13 02:21
Used the standard battery on the Ronin. Then plugged in DJI Focus into p-tap port in power block on  ...

If you're not overloading the P-Taps with various accessories, then it should not have burnt out. The issue could be with either with the motor or the P-Tap port itself. It may be best to send both items in for further diagnostics. Would it be possible to get your previous RMA number to dig into this a little further?
2016-8-12
Use props
info
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-13 05:39
If you're not overloading the P-Taps with various accessories, then it should not have burnt out.  ...

Funny enough the P-Tap ports went dead around the same time as the first DJI Focus went down and I got that replaced.  So I have a NEW p-tap power port and NEW DJI Focus motor and this burned motor happened.

RMA for replacing P-Tap Power Module
RMA: 0628201611933312770

RMA for replacing DJI Focus
RMA: 0716201611933321746

Any expedient help would be great.  I don't want to repair this just to have it happen again.  I want to trust the device but these experiences are making that tough.
2016-8-12
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

info@ssp.la Posted at 2016-8-13 05:49
Funny enough the P-Tap ports went dead around the same time as the first DJI Focus went down and I ...

That really does seem strange. At this time it's hard to tell whether this is due to a power output issue from the new P-Taps or if it's just an issue with the motors. It would be a little easier to tell if you had other accessories that use those same P-Taps, but a thorough evaluation from a repair technician may be the best course of action to ensure it does not happen again.
2016-8-13
Use props
info
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-14 11:26
That really does seem strange. At this time it's hard to tell whether this is due to a power outpu ...

This is a video of how the motor reacts now.  Won't turn by hand.  When you try to calibrate it gives a couple beeps but doesn't turn.  It's just completely locked up.

2016-8-15
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

info@ssp.la Posted at 2016-8-16 04:36
This is a video of how the motor reacts now.  Won't turn by hand.  When you try to calibrate it giv ...

It does look like the motor has fried, but whether it's an issue with the motor or the Ronin, I can't tell for sure. Have you made another attempt to contact the support team about this? If you have, could I get the ticket number?
2016-8-15
Use props
info
lvl.3

United States

I'd love a ticket number. All I keep getting is annoying requests to retry something.

They asked if my antenna was on and want me to try agai. Yes, my antenna is on.

They want me to do another video with it attached to lens because it needs to have a lens to calibrate. I'll do yet another video for them to prove its completely fried and immovable but that should be obvious from my last video.

2016-8-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

info@ssp.la Posted at 2016-8-17 03:22
I'd love a ticket number. All I keep getting is annoying requests to retry something.

They asked i ...

Your video from the forum should suffice, have you already supplied them with the links? I'll try to get a ticket number for you, since one should have populated from your latest correspondence from them.
2016-8-16
Use props
info
lvl.3

United States

I sent them the same video you saw and they asked for more (for it to be hooked up to a lens).

So I did that too

https://vimeo.com/179129282
2016-8-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

info@ssp.la Posted at 2016-8-17 09:11
I sent them the same video you saw and they asked for more (for it to be hooked up to a lens).

So  ...

Thank you for the update. I was able to get the ticket number from your last correspondence, which is #262445 for your reference. You should be receiving a RMA soon to have both units come in to cover all the bases.
2016-8-17
Use props
STEP
lvl.1

Italy

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-17 23:32
Thank you for the update. I was able to get the ticket number from your last correspondence, which ...

Did you solved? Do you have a functioning motor now? I'm curious I'm not able to get one out of four working.
2016-11-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

STEP Posted at 2016-11-29 18:25
Did you solved? Do you have a functioning motor now? I'm curious I'm not able to get one out of fo ...

Could you happen to clarify how the motor behaves? When when did you start noticing the problem? Are you able to connect the Focus RC to the motor directly to see if it will communicate that way?
2016-11-29
Use props
bensaffer
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I have the exact same issue with mine, have submitted a ticket, awaiting a reply
2016-12-9
Use props
fans06726fef
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5320879 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Same issue here, but I can rotate the motor manually.
Arrived last week. Made a test in my office, and worked about 1 hour in the field.
I see the connection with the motor, see the led on, but the motor don't spin at all. Think i fried the motor driver.
Will contact DJI tomorrow.
Loris
2017-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules