Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
video cutting out on hot days
2586 8 2016-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
luedtka
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2059534 ft
  • >>>

While flying my Inspire 1 Pro in the foot hills of California I consistently experienced video breakup mild (~5min mark), longer as the flight progressed.  Altitude & distance had no effect only letting the aircraft cool 10 min between flights would clear up the first 5 min of the next flight.  
msl 700 to 1000ft starting
wind 5-10mph
outside air temp ~95-100 deg F

Anyway of providing more cooling to aircraft transmitter?

2016-8-21
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

There are no additional DJI accessories that can assist with cooling the aircraft in the way you're looking for. You would need to avoid flying in such a hot climate.
2016-8-21
Use props
luedtka
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2059534 ft
  • >>>

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-22 05:38
There are no additional DJI accessories that can assist with cooling the aircraft in the way you're  ...

So if the video starts failing at those temps what about the rest or the aircraft?  

What is the operational temperature range of the aircraft?
2016-8-21
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

luedtka Posted at 2016-8-22 13:10
So if the video starts failing at those temps what about the rest or the aircraft?  

What is the  ...

The operational temperature range of both the aircraft and the camera is 32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C). The battery itself can handle an additional -10° when in colder climates. Based on the outside temperature you provided, 100° is just barely within the specified range, but that can be compounded when in use. If it's cooler out and the issue persists, then there could be a potential hardware issue. I understand that may take a while to test that at this time, but it would be only way to know for sure.
2016-8-22
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-22 10:27
The operational temperature range of both the aircraft and the camera is 32° to 104° F (0° to 40 ...

Jamie, I have been doing some experiments with this issue and cougar1 has been also doing some testing.  The current firmware does not allow a good video signal or operation in the hot weather.  80*F seems to be about the limit but the RC and Video HD signals are not reliable (bug in camera FW?)

So, I have the RC at FW 1.6 the AC at 1.8 and the Go app at 2,87  (same as cougar1)

I have flown 4 flights varying temps.  ((iPad mini 4 128 gig memory nothing else running in the background))
80*
87-90*
93*

1) 13min flight no issues at 80*F
2) after 10 min of flight video drops started at 87-90*F the last 3-4 minutes the video was frozen or not useable
3)  14 min flight and the video was great until about 11 minutes today at 90-93*F
4) Flight #2 today same issue (after I let everything cool down for 15 minutes in the shade  14min flight with video freezing at the last 3-4 minutes

I believe that the camera FW has some bugs and the DJI Go App is putting to much strain on the CPU to be stable in hot (warm weather)  

Please have DJI R&D review the GO App to reduce the workload on the CPU. The iPad is really not strong enough to run the increasing demands the app has been updated with or become. I like the concept of one App does it all, but I think we are seeing the limits of the IPad capabilities to be reliable in conditions that it should work. Please note that I used to run the Shou screen recording app at the same time as the Go App without any issues at all. Now it will not run anything else at the same time.

Thank you for listening

iPad:

Camera video clip, notice that I could not see to keep the jetboat in frame

Rich

2016-8-23
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-8-24 13:20
Jamie, I have been doing some experiments with this issue and cougar1 has been also doing some tes ...

Thank you for the details. I'm passing this info to the R&D team to see if there is any additional information at this time.
2016-8-26
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-26 13:51
Thank you for the details. I'm passing this info to the R&D team to see if there is any additional ...

Thank you.. we need new camera FW as soon as possible because this appears to happening more with the X3 / Z3 cameras than the X5 series cameras. The other observation is the Go App changes may be causing some of the problems as well

Thank again and keep us posted please

Rich
2016-8-27
Use props
prb1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1496906 ft
United Kingdom

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-8-27 22:29
Thank you.. we need new camera FW as soon as possible because this appears to happening more with  ...

I've had similar problems with the X5 and not on hot days, the picture freezes or stutters and on occasions it looks like an MPEG P frame
Go app and Litchi produce the same result and on different iPads.
I've tried the suggested fix of downgrading then reloading the RC firmware but that hasn't worked.
2016-8-30
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

luedtka Posted at 2016-8-22 06:10

What is the  ...

As stated in both the user manual and DJI's website under specifications !
2016-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules