3267 19 2016-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Krankie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

We launched after, and only after an IMU calibration, drone calibration, gimbal calibration, and all Assistant 2 firmware updates. YOu can skip to about 1:15 in the video and see a swirling effect as the drone goes straight up.  Any thoughts as do why this drifting is happening?
This happended twice now in two test flights.  We went through everything step by step just to make sure our setup was correct.  It seems to be.

Link

Thoughts and suggestions? Thank you in advance
2016-8-24
Use props
brich12003.yaho
lvl.2
United States

It looks like GPS and IMU mounting values may be incorrect.Re check and make sure you are using MM not CM for measurements base on CG
2016-8-25
Use props
Krankie
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Could you please explain this in greater detail?  I'm not sure what you mean.  I've been told to make sure the arrow is pointing toward the nose.. Does this mean directly at the nose or forward, as in straight ahead??
2016-8-25
Use props
brich12003.yaho
lvl.2

You are kidding correct ,this is not your first DJI flight controller set up  ?IF it is your first DJI flight controller set up I would recommend getting with a local UAS club or member or hobby shop to walk you through the assistant 2 installation process before attempting to fly again.You must tell your flight controller where the GPS and IMU are based on the distance in mm from your platforms CG. Use the below link as a start buts its a old video and measurements on it are based on CM distances.I recommend having and expert builder check it out for you...Good luck

2016-8-25
Use props
Krankie
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

brich12003.yaho Posted at 2016-8-25 19:28
You are kidding correct ,this is not your first DJI flight controller set up  ?IF it is your first D ...

This is our first Matrice 600.   I have already done the complete installation and my drone works fine except for the slight swirling effect I posted.  DJI already told me that my GPS unit is slightly off target and it has been fixed, and we will test it.  It has nothing to do with what you posted, which is why I wanted you to elaborate on your reasoning for why it might be,  as I was interested (until your condescending tone).  As well, you may want to remember that everyone learns in different ways and making fun of people is not constructive.  
2016-8-25
Use props
brich12003.yaho
lvl.2
United States

Sorry if I came off as Condescending absolutely not my intent I apologize!Good luck and happy flying.
2016-8-26
Use props
Swiss-Tony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3312018 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I had a similar issue with my S1000 with the correct orientation figures. I found that increasing the basic gain by 10 improved it dramatically.
2016-8-26
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I corncur with brich, a toilet bowl effect (TBE) is normally caused my incorrect GPS/IMU mounting values. Double check your inputs, then recalibrate the IMU and compass. Preferrably speaking, you would want to try flying again further away from telephone or power lines.
2016-8-26
Use props
Krankie
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-26 12:44
I corncur with brich, a toilet bowl effect (TBE) is normally caused my incorrect GPS/IMU mounting va ...

Thanks all, much appreciated..  I'll let you know what I find
2016-8-26
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Krankie Posted at 2016-8-27 13:28
Thanks all, much appreciated..  I'll let you know what I find

Please keep us posted.
2016-8-28
Use props
Krankie
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

So I did do a test run.  at first I actually did get swirling again.  Not as bad, but still no TBE is good TBE.
After about a minute it seemed to go away and things were pretty smooth.  Thoughts?
2016-8-29
Use props
Krankie
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Krankie Posted at 2016-8-29 12:44
So I did do a test run.  at first I actually did get swirling again.  Not as bad, but still no TBE ...

Have you guys found any numerical amounts as good default settings for the Matrice600 ( I'm in North America)?
2016-8-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Krankie Posted at 2016-8-30 00:44
So I did do a test run.  at first I actually did get swirling again.  Not as bad, but still no TBE ...

Just to clarify, did you perform a couple flights? If so, does the behavior reoccur every time you take off or just the first time? Are you flying in the same area as in the first video?
2016-8-29
Use props
Krankie
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-29 14:26
Just to clarify, did you perform a couple flights? If so, does the behavior reoccur every time you ...

Hey Jamie,
I think I've found the sweet spot.  One thing that initially didn't happen when doing my recalibration after making my changes, and recalibrating the IMU, was initializing it through a re-boot.  I have since done this as the system now suggests by default.  The bird is now purring.  Thanks for your help guys.

Also, I ordered the Ronin MX and it literally arrived in two days.  That was fast!!  Can't wait to try it out..  I'll using a GH4 at first so if you have any tips, I'd love to hear them..  I keep up with your tutorials as well.

best,
D
2016-8-30
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Krankie Posted at 2016-8-31 02:30
Hey Jamie,
I think I've found the sweet spot.  One thing that initially didn't happen when doing m ...

Glad to hear that everything seems squared away, thanks for the update. With the GH4, it should be a pretty easy set up. As long as you read the manual and watch the turorials, you will be good to go.
2016-8-30
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Krankie Posted at 2016-8-31 04:11
I have a Ronin and am a jib op as well, so I know the basic setup.   If you have any suggestion on ...

You're welcome.

There really isn't much of a difference when using the Ronin MX for ground work and as long as the camera has a good balance, then it will work great with the M600. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.
2016-8-31
Use props
dmyers
lvl.1
United States

Krankie Posted at 2016-8-30 10:30
Hey Jamie,
I think I've found the sweet spot.  One thing that initially didn't happen when doing my recalibration after making my changes, and recalibrating the IMU, was initializing it through a re-boot.  I have since done this as the system now suggests by default.  The bird is now purring.  Thanks for your help guys.

Hi Krankie,

What were the "sweet spot" values if you don't mind me asking.  I am too experiencing some sort of toilet bowl effect.  I'm going to play with the unit until I can get it to cease.  

Thanks,
D
2017-3-15
Use props
Sestaceans
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

dmyers Posted at 2017-3-15 12:03
Hi Krankie,

What were the "sweet spot" values if you don't mind me asking.  I am too experiencing some sort of toilet bowl effect.  I'm going to play with the unit until I can get it to cease.  

As far as any sweet spot is concerned,  I was just meticulous about balancing the entire drone, front to back and having the GPS unit perfectly in line, forward facing.
To tell you the truth though,  I've given up on using any rational thought with the Matrice 600.  It's a hunk of junk IMO for cinematic endeavors (note* I have the Matrice 600 first order, not the "Pro", mine was likely a Beta test).. For mine I have added extra dampeners and use stabilization lenses.  This helps, but as far getting rid of the Toilet Bowl effect,  numbers be damned (maybe DJI can clarify on this weeks numbers), my main thoughts for you would be:
1. Balance your drone as best you can. If you have a Ronin on it, do a complete calibration -> balance test etc. (Remember to do your balance test after you add any additional cables or focus motors).  Make sure you get an "excellent" .
2.  Update Firmware.  The Matrice has barely any support from DJI (except DJI-Jamie).  This step seems obvious, but DJI didn't even have correct firmware for the original Matrice600 until its December firmware release.  So make sure you are good to go.  This could also help with the "swirling/toilet bowl effect".
3. Keep experimenting.   I hate to harp on this but depending on the Matrice600 you have,  especially on early versions like mine,  keep experimenting.  At first I was a sleuth trying to get the correct numerology inputed into my Matrice/Ronin combo.  I'm pretty sure we were just Beta testers and there was really no uniformly accepted input.  I still think this, but at least if you are using a Ronin,  there is a lot more info on this and I can help you as it pertains to  Ronin input numbers (let me know).
4. Most importantly, make sure the arrow on your A3 unit is perfectly straight forward and parallel to the Red Arrow that marks forward on your top cover.

Good luck, and sorry I don't have an exact answer for you.
2017-3-15
Use props
dmyers
lvl.1
United States

Sestaceans Posted at 2017-3-15 13:32
As far as any sweet spot is concerned,  I was just meticulous about balancing the entire drone, front to back and having the GPS unit perfectly in line, forward facing.
To tell you the truth though,  I've given up on using any rational thought with the Matrice 600.  It's a hunk of junk IMO for cinematic endeavors (note* I have the Matrice 600 first order, not the "Pro", mine was likely a Beta test).. For mine I have added extra dampeners and use stabilization lenses.  This helps, but as far getting rid of the Toilet Bowl effect,  numbers be damned (maybe DJI can clarify on this weeks numbers), my main thoughts for you would be:
1. Balance your drone as best you can. If you have a Ronin on it, do a complete calibration -> balance test etc. (Remember to do your balance test after you add any additional cables or focus motors).  Make sure you get an "excellent" .

Thanks for the quick reply!  A firmware update that I previously downgraded from seemed to do the trick.  The M600 now is stable but I'm still considering recalibrating the IMU once more in an attempt for even more stable flight.  It seems that the consensus on this forum is that the M600 lacks proper support, is very buggy, and is over shadowed by the more reliable release of the M600 Pro. The company I work for recently  purchased 2 more M600s before I had any of this information.  Would you recommend returning those and upgrading to the DJI M600 Pro based on what you know about the standard M600 and what you've heard about the M600 Pro?
2017-3-15
Use props
Sestaceans
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

dmyers Posted at 2017-3-15 14:27
Thanks for the quick reply!  A firmware update that I previously downgraded from seemed to do the trick.  The M600 now is stable but I'm still considering recalibrating the IMU once more in an attempt for even more stable flight.  It seems that the consensus on this forum is that the M600 lacks proper support, is very buggy, and is over shadowed by the more reliable release of the M600 Pro. The company I work for recently  purchased 2 more M600s before I had any of this information.  Would you recommend returning those and upgrading to the DJI M600 Pro based on what you know about the standard M600 and what you've heard about the M600 Pro?

I did everything humanly possible to return this drone.  They came up with every excuse and then I went the PayPal method..  DJI refused to work with PayPal,  and being the "stellar" company DJI is, DJI's default return address for the M600 is in Hong Kong,  with a very random mailing address.  It will cost you anywhere from $500-$1200 just to return the drone.  This is why I decided to keep it and sell it.  DJI has the worst customer service in the world.
I would suggest the MAtrice600Pro route if you MUST use  DJI for your high end drones--The M600 has been a complete mess so much so that it's been removed from their website, no apology, no acknowledgment of how truly horrible this drone is, and how truly awful they treated their customers.   In short,  definitely return for the Pro if you can.
2017-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules