Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Motion Timelapse on "normal" Osmo
12Next >
22595 51 2016-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
amadeus1

United States

Hey there,

I just got an email from DJI introducing the new Osmo+. One of the key features they talk about is the possibility to shoot Motion Timelapse videos. I was really looking forward for this being possible with the Osmo...
I know that there is also a external app for the Osmo to realize that. But as I would preferr using the original DJI GO APP I´d like to know if this feature comes for the "normal" Osmo, too.
As this is only a software/firmware issue it should not really be a problem, right? Or is DJI holding this feature back for the Osmo so people buy the new Osmo+? I really hope this is not the case...
Anybody knows anything about this?

Amo

2016-8-25
Use props
jshaffer
New

United States

Was wondering the same exact thing. I have the Litchi app that allows it but I like the DJI app much better. I am hoping new firmware will be out to allow motion timelapse on the regular Osmo since I just got mine last week!
2016-8-25
Use props
smanchester
lvl.3
Flight distance : 127188 ft
  • >>>

YUP. Same here. Was very much looking forward to this option on the Osmo as well and don't particularly feel like buying a whole new rig when this was touted as a future upgrade to the original Osmo... come 'on DJI
2016-8-25
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
First Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Or at least a way to lock the gimbal for standard time lapse, but really hoping the Original Osmo users get the motion control as well.
2016-8-25
Use props
Mlenny
Flight distance : 4613445 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Same here...waiting for this motion timelapse feature since i bought the osmo a few months ago. so hopefully the early adopters buying the osmo will not be pushed back after such a really quick osmo+ hardware upgrade. should be not too complicated to integrate the motion feature in the app for the osmo too. hope dji will honor the early buyers bringing possible features to the original osmo or offer a upgrade programm at least.
2016-8-25
Use props
martin94b
lvl.4

DJI did promise this feature to come for Osmo X3 way back in beginning of November 2015. The day they announced that feature I did buy the Osmo.

DJI, we waited long enough now - when is the promised feature finally being implemented?
2016-8-25
Use props
Darrendirl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 822021 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I'd bet my money it's not coming. DJI hav release firmware updates for OSMO Pro and RAW and it hasn't included this. Why would they give the old x3 a update when they can force us to buy the new one.
2016-8-27
Use props
amadeus1

United States

It seems like they don't even think it's necessary to say something about it... Come on DJI, could anyone please give a statement?
2016-8-28
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

amadeus1 Posted at 2016-8-29 13:41
It seems like they don't even think it's necessary to say something about it... Come on DJI, could a ...

Sorry about that, but currently we have no statements to make about adding this feature to Osmo
2016-8-29
Use props
martin94b
lvl.4

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-8-29 11:24
Sorry about that, but currently we have no statements to make about adding this feature to Osmo

So you are no longer planning on implementing that feature even though it has been announced, do I understand you correct?

Then please tell me how I get my money back, while this was the main reason for me buying the Osmo! Or at least give me a free voucher for Lichti, the non DJI App which does what DJI promised but never did.

2016-8-29
Use props
erhard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78665 ft
  • >>>

Can sombody point to an official statement from DJI regarding motion timelapse for the "old" OSMO ?

2016-8-29
Use props
LenMiddx
Second Officer
United Kingdom

erhard Posted at 2016-8-29 12:27
Can sombody point to an official statement from DJI regarding motion timelapse for the "old" OSMO ?

I've never seen one. Just the usual "we'll look into it" responses when it's mentioned.
2016-8-29
Use props
Darrendirl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 822021 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

alvintoro Posted at 2016-8-29 18:31
Way to go DJI-Thor! I just LOVE these kind of pre-packaged-straight-from-headquarter statements. W ...

Exactly - I'm having the same fight in another thread. This is clearing a squeeze job. Force customers onto the new thing. Even the head alone costs a feature. If it wasn't a simple software update, I wouldn't be so annoyed.
2016-8-29
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

martin94b Posted at 2016-8-29 18:26
So you are no longer planning on implementing that feature even though it has been announced, do I  ...

What I'm saying is that currently DJI has no comment on whether or not the Osmo will have a motion time lapse feature. Even if I know something, I'm not authorized to say it.
2016-8-29
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

erhard Posted at 2016-8-29 19:27

There isn't one, it's DJI's standard practice not to reveal its plans for development.
2016-8-29
Use props
amadeus1

United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-8-30 09:03
There isn't one, it's DJI's standard practice not to reveal its plans for development.

So maybe DJI should rethink this practice...
Because right now there are lots of people really annoyed! We bought a definitely not cheap camera system that would be able for motion timelapse at this time with a little software upgrade and you are keeping it back to sell your new even more expensive Osmo+!
And there have been statements in this forum that promised or at least held out this feature in prospect...
2016-8-30
Use props
martin94b
lvl.4

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-8-30 09:03

This is not true. There is one. Let me have a look and provide you the link to the statemen from last November (unless you deleted it in the meantime). That statement alone was THE reason for me to go buy the Osmo!

!!! Got it !!!

http://forum.dji.com/thread-36191-1-1.html

3rd Post by DJI-Amy:

"This feature will be available soon. Thanks for the suggestion."

From 2015-11-30 09:42:17
2016-8-30
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

martin94b Posted at 2016-8-31 13:58
This is not true. There is one. Let me have a look and provide you the link to the statemen from la ...

Sorry about it, our current practice is to not reveal anything.
2016-8-30
Use props
martin94b
lvl.4

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-8-31 08:23
Sorry about it, our current practice is to not reveal anything.

So what?!

To be frank I do not care about your internal practice.

Will the feature be available for Osmo X3 anytime "soon" (first choice) or how do I get my money back while DJI did not deliver what I payed for (second choice)?

Please give me a clear answer on either first or second choice.
2016-8-30
Use props
marc06
lvl.1

United States

martin94b Posted at 2016-8-31 14:25
So what?!

To be frank I do not care about your internal practice.

I was in a support chat on DJI website two days ago on the 29th.  I asked the person representing DJI if Motion Timelapse was a feature available on Osmo, not just Osmo+, and I was told that it IS available on Osmo.  Then to further confirm, I asked "so then the only difference between Osmo & Osmo+ is the zoom lens?"  And the answer was simply "yes".  Unfortunately since it was a chat, there is no record on my end, but I purchased Osmo immediately with 2 day delivery because I need it for a shoot out of town this weekend.
With a little research I think there may be a workaround in the meantime.  I'm going to try to set my pan/tilt joystick settings very slow, then start the timelapse at the beginning location, and simply tape the joystick in place.  It will be imprecise, and will take some trial/error to make it track the sun for instance, but it could work.
2016-8-31
Use props
martin94b
lvl.4

marc06 Posted at 2016-9-1 03:23
I was in a support chat on DJI website two days ago on the 29th.  I asked the person representing D ...

Hi,

nice workaround!
Unfortunately even with the slowest speed setting the gimbal rotation is still way too fast for long timelapse shots
Besides the imprecise taping its also almost impossible to do a 2-axis gimbal rotation the way you want it to be.

If you don´t mind paying an additional 10 bucks you should try Litchi, 3rd party app which does what DJI can´t do or doesn´t want to do even though they promised it. At least they should give all Osmo users a free voucher for Litchi...
2016-8-31
Use props
michael.tristra
lvl.4
Flight distance : 769042 ft
Australia

If you guys are so set on long timelapses, which are great fun, why not just do the job properly with a dslr or mirrorless camera with a slider rail or motorised pan/tilt head? It will always do a better job than an osmo/ osmo+ and give you complete control. I realise the osmo/ osmo+ may list it as a feature but it certainly isn't the main purpose of the product. The same way a GoPro lists it as feature, but the main purpose of a GoPro is an action POV video camera. Both products may do a timelapse to some degree, but they are never going to be great.
If you want to shoot serious timelapses, get the right tool for the job, and that isn't a osmo/ osmo+.
2016-8-31
Use props
martin94b
lvl.4

michael.tristra Posted at 2016-9-1 07:33
If you guys are so set on long timelapses, which are great fun, why not just do the job properly w ...

We had that discussion allready.

Sure I could take DSLR and do timelapse with additional (expensive) slider / rotating stuff, which unfortunatly is also quite hard to program.

But:
1) using a DSLR for TimeLapse is way too expensive. Why? Simply because the shutter of a common DSLR is built for about 100.000 shots only. This equals only little more than one hour (!) of final TimeLapse movie in 24fps. Not including waste recordings ;-)
2) A DSLR is primarily built to take pictures. So if you are talking about the right equipment for the right job, a photo camera might not be the right tool either.
3) Most important: DJI advertises the OSMO as a TimeLapse camera! And they fooled me and many others by additionally promising rotating gimbal movement. Now (after I spent all that money) they tell us well, the Osmo is not really made for TimeLapsing... WHAT?! Still no 4k TimeLapse as advertised, limited single shots to only 0.5 Hz (= 1 frame every 2 seconds), still no rotating gimbal movement, no DJI tooling for creating TimeLapse from regular 4k video (24fps) in Post production etc etc.
4) From a system architecture point of view the Osmo is very well capable of becoming a very nice and handy TimeLapse camera. Its already capable of recording 4k @24 and even 30 fps, so why wouldn´t it be capable of recording 4k video with less fps (e.g. 1 fps)? Osmo+ now offers the desired gimbal rotation for TimeLapse, and Litchi, the 3rd party app, shows that Osmo X3 is capable of what DJI did promise last november -  DJI just refuses to develop / publish the required Software / Firmware for it... and that pisses me off, because I already paid for it!
2016-8-31
Use props
7VyzrerO40wy
lvl.1

Germany

martin94b Posted at 2016-9-1 08:20

Sure I could take DSLR and do timelapse with additional (expensiv ...

"2) A DSLR is primarily built to take pictures. So if you are talking about the right equipment for the right job, a photo camera might not be the right tool either."
Hi,

sorry, but this is wrong. All professional timelapses are made with a lot of single pictures (in RAW) from a dslr, which you can develop in lightroom or another RAW Editor. I think you can never get the same result with the osmo (or osmo+). It´s just a nice gimmick for some fun-timelapsing like with the iPhone, so I´m wondering when people say this was the reason to buy an osmo... Isn´t the stabilized action-cam the main reason to buy the osmo??

But yes, you have to be passionate about timelapses to carry around big sliders, motor-controller, tripods etc... not to mention the money needed...

Very good (german) page for shooting timelapses: gwegner.de

Greetz from Germany

Christoph
2016-9-1
Use props
martin94b
lvl.4

7VyzrerO40wy Posted at 2016-9-1 12:20
"2) A DSLR is primarily built to take pictures. So if you are talking about the right equipment fo ...

Well, I agree on the professional result you get when using a DSLR for TimeLapsing (not to mention quality and range of lenses). And if you have enough money to spent on a new DSLR after each hour of TimeLapse Movie you are a lucky guy.
Some other people would still call that an amateur approach and rather hang out in the wilderness with a team of 6 people filming with an analog 70mm camera
(Hint: Google Baraka)

Anyhow, I personally came to the conclusion that the value for money on what DJI advertised in respect to TimeLapse capabilities was just good enough for my approach / needs.
Maybe to you it feels too unprofessional, but you are comparing gold to copper then (around 5000+€ for DSLR, lenses and rotating / slide gear) compared to 700€ for 4k Osmo incl. 3 axis rotation).
For you maybe the stabilizing video capabilities were the reason to go buy the Osmo, fine. Thats true for many people and they can be happy about it.
But please also accept that other people have different priorities and needs and budgets than you have!

The point still is: I made my decision based on what DJI advertised / specified / promised to deliver.
And that was 4k TimeLapse movie (out of the cam) and preprogrammable 2 axis rotation within one device.
I did pay the price, but none of both promises has been delivered until today.

Thus, I feel ripped off by DJI.
And observing this forum for quite a while now I am sure I am not the only one!

2016-9-1
Use props
7VyzrerO40wy
lvl.1

Germany

martin94b Posted at 2016-9-1 13:05
Well, I agree on the professional result you get when using a DSLR for TimeLapsing (not to mention  ...

Hi,

thanks for your answer. I can understand your anger and it would be fair when DJI keep their promises.

In some facts you are exaggerating a bit. First, you don´t have to throw away your dslr after each hour of timelapse , second, you don´t need 5000+ for equipment to create stunning timelapses and third my budget is very low... But in the end, when you are interested in good timelapses the most important thing is the result, isn´t it. When I heard of the timelapse-function of the osmo, I was first blown away of the theoretical possibilities.... until I saw some footage on the web ...shaking, flickering...

Here, a master of timelapses with dslrs:

Edit: This little thing is maybe something interesting for you

https://www.marcotec-shop.de/de/ ... X7s4CFRMo0wodPvAPUQ

So in combination with a nice aps-c Crop-Camera and a solid tripod you can keep it around 1000 Euros and i think the results will be 4 times better... ;)
2016-9-1
Use props
magnus29
lvl.1

Sweden

I hear I shout the same thing!
Baught my Osmo Three weeks ago, after reading about the feature.
Upset and angry for sure.

2016-9-1
Use props
marc06
lvl.1

United States

I understand Litchi has a short time limit that it can produce motion time-lapse.  Has anyone tried it?  I also see only one review on iTunes that says simply "it doesn't work"
2016-9-1
Use props
michael.tristra
lvl.4
Flight distance : 769042 ft
Australia

martin94b Posted at 2016-9-1 16:20

Sure I could take DSLR and do timelapse with additional (expensiv ...

If that's you're point of view, that's unfortunate.

The OSMO was advertised as a video camera that shoots stabilised footage, not a timelapse camera. Timelapse was merely a feature. The introduction video to the OSMO is almost 4mins and timelapse get one mention for a few seconds, whilst most of the video talks and shows examples of people shooting stablised footage.

Maybe spend more time looking at other options for timelapses and actually shooting rather than whingng and venting your anger on a forum. I understand you might be pissed off, but nothing's going to change so just move on and let it go. As user 7VyzrerO40wy mentioned, shooting timelapses with a dslr doesn't need to be that expensive.
2016-9-1
Use props
martin94b
lvl.4

michael.tristra Posted at 2016-9-2 01:28

The OSMO was advertised as a video camera tha ...

There have been multiple DJI advertisement videos around, some focus on the video stabilization feature (which clearly is the main function indeed), but some also focussed on TimeLapse feature.

Now why should I accept a loss of a >750€ investment just because the company did not deliver what has been claimed?
2016-9-1
Use props
amadeus1

Germany

michael.tristra Posted at 2016-9-2 01:28

The OSMO was advertised as a video camera tha ...

I think everyone can have their own points that are important to buy a camera.
Yes, the main feature of the Osmo ist the stabilized video recording. But DJI also mentioned the timelapse feature in its advertisements, no matter if the sequence ist 2 seconds or half of the advertisement... And they definitely did promise motion timelapse as a future feature of the Osmo, not of a new, better, more expensive Osmo but of the Osmo we bought months ago with the knowledge of this update to come...

This thread is not about which solution ist the best to shoot professional (motion) timelapse videos. Of course you can do better with a DSLR.
But I personally bought the Osmo as the ideal camera system for my needs, and this includes the promised motion timelapse feature! I don't want to carry all the equipment and my DSLR with me in addition to my Osmo on a tour over the Alps for example. I wouldn't even be that upset if it was a hardware issue. But as we all know the only reason why DJI is not giving the Motion Timelapse feature to the existing Osmo users through a software update is to sell more Osmo+...
And that is what makes me angry - and as you can see many others as well...
2016-9-2
Use props
marc06
lvl.1

United States

The motion time lapse feature would have to be initiated from inside the DJI Go app.  It has to be as simple as turning the feature on or off in the app, so maybe someone can hack it.... Has anyone actually seen the motion time lapse working in an Osmo+?  The thing just came out, and I'm not sure if anyone really has it yet.  I can't find any reviews online.
2016-9-2
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

marc06 Posted at 2016-9-3 12:56
The motion time lapse feature would have to be initiated from inside the DJI Go app.  It has to be a ...

No, it won't work well because the hardware isn't optimized for that function.  Litchi can do motion timelapse, with issues like drifting up and down.  So DJI engineers decide not to do it.

Osmo+ camera is designed with this purpose in mind so it performs well.
2016-9-2
Use props
mrmaxwell77
New
Australia

I think everyone here has a good point to a certain degree.

Is the OSMO the perfect time-lapse piece of kit? No. Would it be nice if DJI continually updated their current releases with additional functionality? Yes of course.

As an OSMO owner from day one I always felt I was testing a new piece of hardware that hadn't been released to the public yet. It's base functionality of providing stabilised video was awesome however too many little niggling issues held it back from being a slam dunk. I always assumed new firmware and continual updates by DJI would make the OSMO better but now I realise that's not the case.

If you want the latest and greatest you're going to have to upgrade. This isn't a new concept in tech! Some companies really look after their current customers well and provide great ongoing support by making current products better while many other companies simply move on to their next release such as DJI. Once you accept this you'll be much happier and also might think twice before your next DJI purchase.
2016-9-2
Use props
amadeus1

Italy

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-3 08:30
No, it won't work well because the hardware isn't optimized for that function.  Litchi can do moti ...

Well, in this case I would expect DJI to offer some special upgrade promotions to existing Osmo users.
The Motion Timelapse feature was promised here in this forum and it's not our fault that you cannot hold your promises!
2016-9-3
Use props
Ulysse
First Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

No, it won't work well because the hardware isn't optimized for that function.  Litchi can do moti ...

Are Osmo+ gimbal motors different from the original Osmo ?
2016-9-3
Use props
mrmaxwell77
New
Australia

amadeus1 Posted at 2016-9-3 23:47
Well, in this case I would expect DJI to offer some special upgrade promotions to existing Osmo us ...

Why would you expect this?

Does Apple or Samsung offer upgrade promotions every 6 months when they release a new phone?

Does Ford or Ferrarri offer upgrade promos everytime they release a new car?

Hardware upgrade cycles are commonplace...especially if you're into tech you should be used to it by now.

DJI have many areas they need to improve on - customer service and communcation being number one - but they don't need to be criticised for releasing lots of new upgraded products in quick succession...
2016-9-3
Use props
mrmaxwell77
New
Australia

Ulysse Posted at 2016-9-4 03:15
Are Osmo+ gimbal motors different from the original Osmo ?

Yes it seems upgrades to the hardware have been made on the new gimbals hence the lack of compatibility with OSMO v1.
2016-9-3
Use props
martin94b
lvl.4
Germany

Ok, so how do I get my money back then?
I would not mind DJI to exchange my Osmo X3 for an Osmo+ either, so please let me know how to do that.

Feels a little bit like driving a VW car - you bought it with a promise on exhaust gas levels, but when it turned out that VW lied to all their customers and public authorities they fixed it on their own costs...

DJI, give me my money back or exchange my gear to a working one so I can finally use the OSMO for what I intended it!
2016-9-4
Use props
mrmaxwell77 Posted at 2016-9-4 12:23
Why would you expect this?

Does Apple or Samsung offer upgrade promotions every 6 months when they ...

Because DJI promised this feature to come months ago - before I bought my Osmo!
Maybe you should read all of the thread next time before writing such an unqualified reply to a single post ;-)

And if a company (DJI) sells its product (Osmo) promising/announcing future updates like Motion Timelapse I expect that company to offer such updates or - if that turns out impossible - to make a suitable compensation. That would be a cheap upgrade to the new product that has the feature promised back then for example...

And I don't care if the Osmo is primarily designed as a stabilized action cam, if there are better solutions for Motion Timelapse videos, if other users need this feature or how other companies deal with new hardware...
The point is that something was promised and has not been delivered!
2016-9-4
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules