Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
'No Image Transmission' Issue Inspire 1 - Issue is with aircraft
123Next >
10341 92 2016-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike-the-cat
Captain
Flight distance : 21621841 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

I have an Inspire which has the dreaded 'No Image Transmission' issue, intermittently. I have the latest App (2.8.7), Aircraft (1.9.1.30+), Camera (1.9.1.10) and RC (1.7.40) versions; installed in the correct sequence (aircraft before RC) . Last week, the problem got more frequent and today, it made the craft unflyable. I've checked: SD card well seated (irrelevant on the X5-R/ X5 platform but can be an issue with the X3), Gimbal to aircraft connection well seated, USB from iPad to RC well seated. Distance 10m.
Right now, I'm thinking there is an internal connection issue somewhere in either the aircraft or the RC.

The problem with image transmission does NOT appear when I transfer the camera and use a different RC on a second Inspire.

Can Ed or someone who has technical expertise chime in?

There are lots of technically improbable 'solutions' posted on forum pages: e.g. " overheating of board " and I'd like to hear from someone who really knows the system. Thanks.

(Edit Sept 5th 2016; After extensive testing, I've concluded that there is something wrong with my aircraft giving rise to intermittent failure of video transmission; I will leave the thread active as it indicates the thought process of working through the problem; I will post a response as to the outcome when the aircraft returns from DJI)

(Addendum Oct 1st 2016) Problem resolved. An aircraft component was at fault. FW is now 1.9.1.30 without the '+'. See later posting about this matter.

(Addendum Oct 7th 2016) If you have a heavily used aircraft flying X5 / X5R read this http://forum.dji.com/thread-65717-1-1.html

2016-8-29
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

MTC
This is something I am interested in too! You have most likely seen some of my posts.

Rich
2016-8-29
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

Hi Rich,

You are one of the Ole faithfuls on this forum. I've been spending time editing and less on flying as I have a good deal of legacy footage that's begging to be edited. This issue of video transmission failure was a major issue in late Feb, early March this year and then, it mysteriously disappeared and now has reappeared.

Critically, HD and RC reception are at 4/5 bars so its not an issue of signal failure. Hence the problem appears to be in the video stream encryption / decryption. Waiting to hear from DJI tech support...
2016-8-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello,could you please provide a screenshot of 'No Image Transmission' issue?
2016-8-29
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-8-30 12:23

No screenshot BUT:
The critical thing you need to know is that both remote transmission signal and HD signal were at maximum at the time of appearance of the message and channel interference was minimal with around - 90dB attenuation.

The 'No Image Transmission' message appeared even when the craft was 5 m in front of me. And its not antenna orientation, gimbal to camera contacts or loose seating of gimbal to aircraft either. When I transferred the X5R to the other Inspire, it worked fine with the same USB cable that was used with the other set. Immediately after the latter (successful test) on the alternative Inspire, I re-attached the X5R to the 'problematic' Inspire and it started to work fine.

One thing I have not done is to bind the remote that is associated with this problem to the 'good' aircraft to see if the remote is the problem. If I had to guess, it might be a hardware fault with the HDMI board on the remote. A little unusual given that these usually appear soon after manufacture and that remote is now about 6 months old. (Turns out this was incorrect; see bottom for progress notes)
2016-8-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-8-30 16:35
No screenshot BUT:
The critical thing you need to know is that both remote transmission signal an ...

Please give it a try first.And let me know if the remote will work on the other aircraft.
2016-8-30
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-8-30 16:56
Please give it a try first.And let me know if the remote will work on the other aircraft.

The problem seems to be with Aircraft B. I linked remote A to Aircraft B and the problem recurred at takeoff. You can see from the screenshot that my previous details are correct (re:signal strength etc). When I relinked Remote B with Aircraft A, video Tx was normal. So remote B is fine.

Strange thing is that I had a nice video signal at takeoff with Aircraft B but it disappeared after 10 sec and stayed that way. In the past, signal would reappear after several more seconds. So I'm thinking that this bird has something wrong with its hardware but what would make the problem intermittent?

no image transmission

no image transmission
2016-8-30
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-8-29 21:13
Hi Rich,

You are one of the Ole faithfuls on this forum. I've been spending time editing and less o ...

Thank you Mike

I hope that we hear something soon, I am almost grounded with my Inspire 1.... I cannot depend on the video stream.

Rich
2016-8-30
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-8-29 21:23

Hi Mindy
I am sure you have seen the other posts, so I will no duplicate this again on Mikes posting. Please see my video evidence of the problem with the video downlink. I really do not think it is only temperature related. It has to be something that was changed in the just prior to 1.81 FW ...

link
http://forum.dji.com/thread-61483-1-1.html
Rich
2016-8-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-8-30 19:19
The problem seems to be with Aircraft B. I linked remote A to Aircraft B and the problem recurred  ...

It's probably a hardware issue.I'd suggest you email support@dji.com, tech support will guide you to send it in.
2016-8-30
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-8-31 09:07
It's probably a hardware issue.I'd suggest you email , tech support will guide you to send it in.

Mindy, Before I send the craft in.... there is one other possibility.

I realised that my v1.0 Inspire (Aircraft B) is on Aircraft firmware version 1.9.1.10. while the v 2.0 Inspire (Aircraft A) is on 1.9.1.30+. The App, camera, RC and A9 Plus versions are otherwise identical on the A / B tests I've made.

I KNOW for a fact that before I upgraded the Aircraft firmware on the v2.0, there was the annoying but harmless 'VPS error'. I had more than 20 flights in late June / early July with that craft with no problems before upgrading the aircraft to 1.9.1.30+ (strange also that there is the '+' which is not on your download website).

As I take great care of my aircraft (no knocks, crashes) and I've checked all cables and such, I do think it is an pure hardware failure but some weird interaction between the new firmware upgrade and that particular aircraft that is a problem. I know that manufacturers occasionally update boards and circuit configurations and I'm pretty sure my problem is such. Otherwise, other pilots would have complained of this.

Please forward this thread to your R&D engineers and get them to send me email directly. You can find my contact details from your database. I have no problems sending my aircraft in if its a hardware issue but just in case there was a patch that inadvertently brought this problem on, I'd like to know. Thanks.

Until this is done, I'll hold back on writing support@dji - I have them on the hook with another issue regarding a LB 1 airside problem and they are simply not good diagnosticians. The engineers who have responded to me follow a set protocol and cannot tell an advanced user from a novice.
2016-8-30
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-8-31 08:31
Hi Mindy
I am sure you have seen the other posts, so I will no duplicate this again on Mikes posti ...

Its not temperature. Where I live, its hot all the time and this problem came up only recently. See my post on the matter.
2016-8-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-8-31 09:42
Mindy, Before I send the craft in.... there is one other possibility.

I realised that my v1.0 Ins ...

I'd suggest you format the SD card and update the aircraft's firmware again.And sorry the engineer cannot send email to you.Please email our tech support,and if you need any help,please feel free to let me know.
2016-8-30
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-8-31 12:01
I'd suggest you format the SD card and update the aircraft's firmware again.And sorry the engineer ...

Mindy, In case you missed my point, its the OLDER firmware on the v1.0 aircraft that is working well and the NEWER version is giving trouble. I have emailed DJI support and asked them to refer to this thread.

If they aren't able to write me, they can at least post on the forum page can't they. I know that a person called RD Tech 34 did that to some earlier queries about X5 camera specs.
2016-8-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-8-31 12:52
Mindy, In case you missed my point, its the OLDER firmware on the v1.0 aircraft that is working we ...

Sorry for misunderstand you.For the 1.9.1.30+ firmware, please try to restart your ipad and connect it to the network.Then enter the DJI GO APP to check the firmware version.And did you try to change another mobile device or usb cable to connect with the controller?
2016-8-30
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-8-31 15:44
Sorry for misunderstand you.For the 1.9.1.30+ firmware, please try to restart your ipad and connec ...

Version 1.9.1.30 is the most up to date aircraft firmware possible for the Inspire Raw and that is the one that is associated with my problem. It was last updated on 7/7/2016.  The iPad Air 2 I'm using has ample processing capacity for the Go App. At the time the ' No Image Transmission' messages appeared, I had a full 4G connection. WiFi was turned off to minimise 2.4Ghz interference. I have used different USB cables as well and that's not the problem.
2016-8-31
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-8-31 16:48
To avoid further embarrassment since these posts are logged, may I suggest you have a technically  ...

Sorry tech support cannot write reply here.Please send it in and tech support will evaluate your drone.
2016-8-31
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-8-31 16:59
Sorry tech support cannot write reply here.Please send it in and tech support will evaluate your d ...

OK. I'll try to downgrade the firmware on the AC to 1.8.01.40 before I do that.
2016-8-31
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

Could not downgrade successfully and had to reload 1.9.01.30 (latest version); This seems to have miraculously resolved the problem but I will fly a few more flights to be sure. Best not to say more until I've fully tested.
Interesting point about the '+' tag on the firmware version. Apparently this means that the firmware has been loaded in the craft but needs some 'signoff' by the smart device being connected to DJI's servers. The '+' sign is still there despite my being connected to the internet (this has been corrected from my last post)Will update later.

2016-8-31
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>

Unfortunately, the problem remains. It's intermittent and therein lies the headache. I can have the aircraft right in front of me and it the issue can come and go.

Another consequence of the firmware change from the previous version (1.8.x or lower 1.9.x) series is that transmission distance has definitely dropped. I have a long range test route that I use regularly and I fly it at a particular altitude and transmitter azimuth. I also take into account time of day,  humidity and air pollution, all of which can affect transmission distance. The drop in distance for reliable transmission is at least 1km over a 3.7km distance. Switching transmission fidelity on the App makes no difference whatsoever so perhaps this is a clue?

I am not sending in my aircraft until there is another firmware upgrade and it still is problematic
2016-9-1
Use props
Juanlife
lvl.1

Colombia

1 year ago i purchase an inspire 1, today after 1 month without use i have this issue, "No Image Transmission" but it is not intermitent, its all the time, so i was update to last firmware, but problem persist.. now i have a beaty usseles $2000 uav......
2016-9-2
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

I downgraded to 1.08.01.4 'successfully' but initially, there was no image at all. The 'No Image Transmission' message seemed permanent. I then tried reseating the camera without success and posted this result earlier. I managed to get image transmission back by attaching an X3 and then the X5R again.
Interestingly, the 'About page states that the FW is 1.08.1.10 contradicting the log.

I've attached the hidden log file for reference.
If you have this problem please continute to fill this page with responses. If not, it would also be good to hear from you. There is another page referring to the same issue.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-60695-1-1.html

WM610_FC550R_FW_LOG_AB.pdf

87.21 KB, Down times: 19

Hidden log file

2016-9-2
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

No, the No Image Transmission problem has recurred. Looks like it may well be a hardware problem. I've decided to send the aircraft in for repair.
(Edit Sept 5th 2016; After extensive testing, I've concluded that there is something wrong with my aircraft giving rise to intermittent failure of video transmission; I will leave the thread active as it indicates the thought process of working through the problem; I will post a response as to the outcome when the aircraft returns from DJI)
2016-9-3
Use props
Juanlife
lvl.1

Colombia

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-9-2 21:52
I downgraded to 1.08.01.4 'successfully' but initially, there was no image at all. The 'No Image Tra ...

how do you downgrade aircraft? i can downgrade control but i dont know how to do on aircraft
2016-9-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Juanlife Posted at 2016-9-10 03:40
how do you downgrade aircraft? i can downgrade control but i dont know how to do on aircraft

You downgrade the same way as upgrading.
Here is the link for the inspire download page.
http://www.dji.com/inspire-1-pro-and-raw/info#downloads
2016-9-9
Use props
Juanlife
lvl.1

Colombia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-9 16:18
You downgrade the same way as upgrading.
Here is the link for the inspire download page.
http://w ...

ok, thank you, then, i was doing that well without succes. I dont know why i get a long beep without any normal update beeps :/
2016-9-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Juanlife Posted at 2016-9-10 05:44
ok, thank you, then, i was doing that well without succes. I dont know why i get a long beep witho ...

I'm not sure, in your about page it says your on 1.9 right?
You can post the TXT file or the hidden log file and I can take a look at it.
2016-9-9
Use props
Juanlife
lvl.1

Colombia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-9 16:54
I'm not sure, in your about page it says your on 1.9 right?
You can post the TXT file or the hidde ...

ok im trying to extrat this hiden files but in misc folder all subfolders are empty, only LOG folder have a file named "OSMO_CAM_VERSION" there are no more files, or im doing something wrong to extract this file?
app-version 2.9.1
aircraft version 1.9.1.30
remote controller version 1.7.40
camera version 1.8.1.00

update:: format microsd, now all folders in MISC are empty, LOG folder included.
log.jpg
2016-9-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Juanlife Posted at 2016-9-10 06:15
ok im trying to extrat this hiden files but in misc folder all subfolders are empty, only LOG folde ...

Your downloading from the Inspire page onto a freshly formatted SD card right.
Looks like you downloaded from the Osmo page.
http://www.dji.com/inspire-1/info#downloads
2016-9-9
Use props
Juanlife
lvl.1

Colombia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-9 17:26
Your downloading from the Inspire page onto a freshly formatted SD card right.
Looks like you down ...

what I found on other forums is normal this file on this folder, (image is not my pc)

but ok, going to try another upgrade from files you send.
2016-9-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Juanlife Posted at 2016-9-10 06:32
what I found is normal this file on this folder,

The txt file is normal, but Osmo no.

Here's how to read the hidden logs.

Windows system :
http://windows.microsoft.com/en- ... den-files=windows-7
Mac system :
http://ianlunn.co.uk/articles/qu ... mac-os-x-mavericks/
2016-9-9
Use props
Juanlife
lvl.1

Colombia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-9 17:44
The txt file is normal, but Osmo no.

Here's how to read the hidden logs.

already did, check the first screen from my pc, shown hiden files is checked "elementos ocultos".... second screen are not me, is from someone on the internet
2016-9-9
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>

Juanlife Posted at 2016-9-10 06:47
already did, check the first screen from my pc, shown hiden files is checked "elementos ocultos"... ...

Start fresh with the download from the Inspire page. Do this on an empty SD card. If you still have a problem, join the club. I've sent my aircraft in for a check. If you scroll, up, you'll see I've done extensive testing on this issue.

The problem affects some aircraft and not others so its a question of whether something in the FW update is timing / tolerance critical so that it works sometimes and not at others on aircraft  where the hardware is at the borderline of tolerance.

I hope DJI solves this soon because its clear its not an isolated issue.
2016-9-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Juanlife Posted at 2016-9-10 06:47
already did, check the first screen from my pc, shown hiden files is checked "elementos ocultos"... ...

Yes, the file that you see is normal, that TXT file is generated after firmware update or attempt to update.
Since it shows Osmo, I don' think the correct firmware was downloaded.
2016-9-9
Use props
Juanlife
lvl.1

Colombia

check this two videos i made and post on another topic, http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 4&fromuid=47430
2016-9-9
Use props
Juanlife
lvl.1

Colombia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-9 21:45
Yes, the file that you see is normal, that TXT file is generated after firmware update or attempt  ...

ok, after some tryings i got the hide log, 2 files attach on zip:
WM610_FW_RESULT_AB.txt
WM610_FW_LOG_AB.txt

Juanlife inspire1 files.zip

4.32 KB, Down times: 12

2016-9-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Juanlife Posted at 2016-9-10 11:31
ok, after some tryings i got the hide log, 2 files attach on zip:
WM610_FW_RESULT_AB.txt
WM610_FW_L ...

Ok, thanks for posting that. I see what's wrong.
Your video transmission module has been corrupted. From the hidden logs I see module 8 & 15 say's "Device Not Detected".
Do you have access to another camera, the video transmission module can be the camera or the aircraft. If you can try another camera and it works then you know it's the camera and you only need to sent it in for repair. But with a different camera attached, your still have no video then you would need to send the aircraft in.
I'm sorry about that.One thing you can try is make sure the ribbon cables are firmly plugged in. It probably will not make a difference but it's worth trying.
2016-9-9
Use props
Juanlife
lvl.1

Colombia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-9 22:55
Ok, thanks for posting that. I see what's wrong.
Your video transmission module has been corrupted. ...

that sounds bad, but that makes sense, I dont have another camera near to me but I could try next week to find one to test, also im going to clean ribbon cables, I will keep you updated

Thank you!
2016-9-10
Use props
Juanlife
lvl.1

Colombia

i found this threat from last year with some people having the same problem on modules 8, 5 or both after update...

http://forum.dji.com/thread-12656-1-1.html

post #18 and post #19 has the the same results on beeps like me after update
2016-9-10
Use props
Onggia
lvl.1

I have had an Inspire 1 Pro with a Z5 camera since last November.  I am now getting the intermittent 'Weak Signal' and 'No video signal'  problem...I have the latest firmware   1.9.1.30 on the AC and 1.9.10 on the camera...I hope they resolve this issue soon....cannot work like this with the Inspire ... and don't have the time to mess around too much..
2016-9-10
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules