Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
ActiveTrack for old OSMO (not only for new osmo mobile)
142930 142930 2016-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pablotibis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50932 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Hi, I saw that the new "mobile Osmo" has the ActiveTrack functionality, this functionality will be the same also to Osmo OLD owners? as well as the move time-lapse feature included in osmo +?
2016-9-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

These functions are only available for the Osmo Mobile.
2016-9-1
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
First Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-1 16:17
These functions are only available for the Osmo Mobile.

Is there a good reason for this? I'm guessing it's the app and phone that does most of the work, bit of firmware? The Osmo doesn't need any new hardware to do active tracking.

Let's hope there are some 3rd party app developers willing to support the Osmo community. Feels like my 3 month old camera is now end of line and will be forgotten by DJI
2016-9-1
Use props
Adam Chan
lvl.1

China

WHY NOT!!?!?!? I don't get it.
2016-9-1
Use props
USUAVMedia
lvl.1

United States

Seriously?  Active-track is a great feature that could easily be added to the existing OSMO platform.  I already know I need this when filming in selfie mode.  the camera either drifts or I turn my hand while walking and I end up on the edge or out of the shot.  This feature would mean I do not need to worry if I am in frame and can concentrate on my movements.  Please don't leave us out of this, just because you want us to buy the mobile platform...won't happen.  
2016-9-1
Use props
nwhit
lvl.4
Flight distance : 374 ft
United States

USUAVMedia Posted at 2016-9-1 10:59
Seriously?  Active-track is a great feature that could easily be added to the existing OSMO platform ...

Already available with AutoFrame for Osmo and Autopilot for Inspire.
2016-9-1
Use props
USUAVMedia
lvl.1

United States

nwhit Posted at 2016-9-2 02:24

I guess I am catching up on all three of your replies.......We should not have to pay another company $10 and use their app for filming when DJI just released the feature on a lower end product
2016-9-1
Use props
uptowndisco
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7394987 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nwhit Posted at 2016-9-1 19:24

I have this and it is not the same as active track and takes a lot more setting up, for more than framing a GPS point you also need a second phone/device with gps
2016-9-1
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-9-2 00:22
Is there a good reason for this? I'm guessing it's the app and phone that does most of the work, b ...

I talked with engineers about this, the image-recognition calculation is CPU intensive, so it requires more hardware than the Osmo camera currently have.  It's the same reason why P4 has active track but P3 series doesn't have.

It' also why iPhone 5s can use aOsmo Mobile but can't use  the active track function, its hardware isn't powerful enough.

For the original Osmo, the image is mainly processed in the camera, not in the phone, it's how it was designed.
The Auto Frame app recommended by some people obvious can do something similar to the active track, since I haven't tried it myself, I'm suspicious of its performance and limitations,  probably someone can do a side by side comparison of it.  

2016-9-1
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
First Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-2 08:37
I talked with engineers about this, the image-recognition calculation is CPU intensive, so it requi ...

Thanks Thor, good explanation. I thought more was going on in the phone / tablet. But if it's the Osmo doing the work it makes sense why you can't just add it.

Autoframe looks fun for tracking a drone, but it's not image tracking, it's GPS I think.
2016-9-2
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

USUAVMedia Posted at 2016-9-2 02:52
I guess I am catching up on all three of your replies.......We should not have to pay another comp ...

I just got back  talking with engineers. They  have studied that before, there's a noticeable delay if you  use the app to do active track, because the image needs to be transmitted through wifi first.  So the result is that it will be laggy and doesn't give a very good user experience, so in the end developers decided not to do it on Osmo. But Osmo mobile doesn't have this issue, because video is shot through the phone and processed locally.

If someone do a review of the active tracking of Osmo mobile  and  Osmo+Autoframe, I believe the former one will perform much better. We'll see.
2016-9-2
Use props
Adam Chan
lvl.1

China

make sense
2016-9-2
Use props
giero
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7357333 ft
  • >>>
Poland

DJI-Thor - it is marketing blabla crap. Inspie 1 have same camera like P3 and Active Track it is not impossible.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vertical-studio/id1064988321?mt=8 - here you have app that is have this option, and they say:
"Vertical Studio currently supports:

DJI Phantom 3 Advanced
DJI Phantom 3 Professional
DJI Inspire 1 (X3)
DJI Devices soon to be supported are:

Inspire X5
Phantom 3 Standard
Phantom 3 4K
Osmo"

I have used in both ways ground (osmo) and aerial (I1) and its work very good.

The all bullsh*** about wifi, hardware INHO is just marketing.

One of my test from VS:

P.S.
IP 5s works with this software without broblem.
2016-9-2
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

USUAVMedia Posted at 2016-9-1 13:59
Seriously?  Active-track is a great feature that could easily be added to the existing OSMO platform ...

If the added active track to the old osmo there would be no reason to buy the plus? Apple like money grab.
2016-9-2
Use props
Adam Chan
lvl.1

China

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-9-3 06:21
If the added active track to the old osmo there would be no reason to buy the plus? Apple like mon ...

No, the function is not even on plus, Osmo mobile only!...................
2016-9-3
Use props
jojoenglish85
lvl.1
United States

i don't really understand how they can't make an app for a phone control the osmo any more then it already does. If its all about the phone hardware and app working together, then I would have supposed they would have bypassed this possible issue by giving the osmo a capable built in monitor device. I just feel like every osmo product especially the more expensive Osmo+ should have such a feature built in to the app.
2016-9-3
Use props
uptowndisco
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7394987 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

giero Posted at 2016-9-2 20:27
DJI-Thor - it is marketing blabla crap. Inspie 1 have same camera like P3 and Active Track it is not ...

Thanks for posting , I never knew about Vertical Studio , I have just purchased
and tested with my Osmo , now I have an active tracking Osmo ! and working
well , I also bought Litchi for Osmo a couple days ago , now with the 2 apps
I can get close to what Osmo mobile does ,   I think DJI is not being entirely
honest telling us original can not do these things , if app makers can do it then
it must be just as easy for DJI to do , but then who would be so fast to go buy
the new Osmo mobile if they did ?  
2016-9-3
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

uptowndisco@hot Posted at 2016-9-3 18:51
and tested with my ...

Exactly!!!!!
2016-9-3
Use props
thefurmanuk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15994 ft
United Kingdom

I just ordered an Osmo+ as I thought this was a feature included, I didn't realise it was mobile only.
That app looks good though.  Shame we have to pay £15 extra for something that could be developed by DJI.
2016-9-6
Use props
nomad65
lvl.4

United Kingdom

thefurmanuk Posted at 2016-9-6 13:15
I just ordered an Osmo+ as I thought this was a feature included, I didn't realise it was mobile onl ...

Just downloaded Vertical Studio to my android from the Google store , will be testing tomorrow but downloaded no problem , i think 15 pounds is better than paying another few hundred pounds for the Osmo + .
2016-9-6
Use props
nomad65
lvl.4

United Kingdom

nomad65 Posted at 2016-9-6 16:48
Just downloaded Vertical Studio to my android from the Google store , will be testing tomorrow but  ...

Just a shame it won't work with my S900 , A2 set up , perhaps DJI could comment on this ,

Thank you
2016-9-6
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

uptowndisco@hot Posted at 2016-9-4 06:51
and tested with my ...

Hi, what phone are you using?
2016-9-7
Use props
joshuanicholas1
lvl.3
Hong Kong

I have also downloaded Vertical Studio and it actually works near perfect to what I want, I think the only downside to the app is that you have to pay $20 to actually record or capture anything, and yes as @thefurmanuk said, I would prefer to get the feature developed by the DJI team for free then to spend extra money for the additional feature. I also really feel like DJI have left the original OSMO  owners behind, I mean when was the last time we got an solid update that fixed all the problems like the drifting problem? They said the update is coming... but its been months! The last update released was for the PRO/RAW OSMO.

@DJI-Thor I used my I-phone 6 Plus for the app.
2016-9-7
Use props
user456f8d4321
New

Chile

Is Active Track feature available for Android users on Osmo Mobile? If not, will it be implemented anytime soon?
2016-9-7
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

joshuanicholas1 Posted at 2016-9-7 23:13
I have also downloaded Vertical Studio and it actually works near perfect to what I want, I think th ...

Hi, is it possible that you find an iPhone 5s or iPhone 5 and try out whether it works well?  Also, do you mind shooting a short video demonstrating active track with that app with your iPhone 6, or even with iPhone 5s? Thank you.
2016-9-7
Use props
joshuanicholas1
lvl.3
Hong Kong

@DJI-Thor Sorry but I don't want to spend $20 dollars right now to get the recording feature (Too poor)   But the app is free to try out, so if you want to see it for yourself, it is there.

Sorry again for not being able to help here
2016-9-7
Use props
Biodog
New

South Africa

Hi guys just downloaded vertical studio on my ipad mini track perfectly with OSMO DJI BETTER get this right not nice rember same situation with the dji phantom 3 advance and standard when they released the standard it came with 2,7 K video which the advance which was a more expensive drone  did not have but they corrected it with a firmware upgrade hope they will do the same
2016-9-8
Use props
anjosva
lvl.1

Portugal

Hi guys,

I've tested the vertical studio with my DJI OSMO and to be honest I think the pattern tacking function is not working so well. It lost the object that we select to be tracked a lot of times.

Anyone else with the same "bad" experience ?

I haven't tested the Autoframe to compare since you need to buy the application if you want to test it. Anyone here that can share something about the autoframe ?

Thank you!
2016-9-9
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

anjosva Posted at 2016-9-9 18:29
Hi guys,

I've tested the vertical studio with my DJI OSMO and to be honest I think the pattern tack ...

Hi, what device are you using? Thank you.
2016-9-9
Use props
nomad65
lvl.4

United Kingdom

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-9 12:20

DJI Thor ,

rather than you repeatedly asking us questions about YOUR product , could you please , for once , answer our questions that have been repeatedly posted .

Thank you
2016-9-9
Use props
anjosva
lvl.1

Portugal

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-9 12:20

I'm using the DJI OSMO (X3) with iPhone 6 Plus.
2016-9-9
Use props
joshuanicholas1
lvl.3
Hong Kong

DJI Thor,
May I ask how the active tracking works on the DJI mobile? What enables DJI mobile to do active tracking?
Thanks
2016-9-9
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

joshuanicholas1 Posted at 2016-9-9 07:54
DJI Thor,
May I ask how the active tracking works on the DJI mobile? What enables DJI mobile to do  ...

Hi, Osmo Mobile uses the camera of your phone, so the camera passes the video directly to the CPU of the phone and phone does some calculation of the image patterns to follow a specific pattern.

But for the original Osmo, the video has to be passed from the camera to the phone through wifi, which adds significant delay to the video processing, so the active tracking won't work well on most phones even if it's added.(Probably 6S and 6SP can)
2016-9-9
Use props
nwhit
lvl.4
Flight distance : 374 ft
United States

On AutoPilot's AutoFrame, it can do both tracking through their network, or you can select an object (drag/draw a rectangle around it) and it tracks that object. Of course, it can lose the visually-tracked object if there are large/sudden changes in lighting, too rapid of movement, etc., but it is reasonable in what it can track. Thus it's not impossible to do it within DJI's software. It might not be as good as the new Mobile unit or a P4, but it does provide some functionality that is useful. (I use an iPhone 6.)
2016-9-10
Use props
r1alvin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 79495 ft

Status update on Active track for DJI GO App? Please implement this feature DJI. I run a Samsung Galaxy S7 Active, so lag will not be an issue, as I'm sure most osmo owners have fully capable smartphones to handle the processing. I found this video on youtube about 30 minutes ago,,,not sure if this user is on this forum, but they used the Vertical Studio App on their OSMO and it looks like it works flawlessly. Please advise, or at least give us a hint if you have a team working on this feature for us?   

2016-9-13
Use props
alvintoro
lvl.1

Had not heard of the Vertical Studio app. But downloading it as I type. If it works as good as the above video demonstrates it would definitely be worth the $20 for for my use. It would be soooo nice if DJI just did the right thing beginning by dropping the BS hardware limitation narrative that is fooling absolutely no one and updated the app with these features.
2016-9-15
Use props
r1alvin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 79495 ft

alvintoro Posted at 2016-9-16 03:53
Had not heard of the Vertical Studio app. But downloading it as I type. If it works as good as the a ...

keep us updated on how it works and if it supports OSMO,,,seems that they turned off this function temporarily for the app? Well, at least that what it says in the Play Store,,,
2016-9-15
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

r1alvin@hotmail Posted at 2016-9-13 10:09
Status update on Active track for DJI GO App? Please implement this feature DJI. I run a Samsung Gal ...

Thanks for your sharing, it looks nice.

That's what R&D told me, only flagship Android phones and iPhones after iPhone 6 can do this fluently, so they will not develop this function on Osmo. That's all I'm authorized to say.
2016-9-16
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

r1alvin@hotmail Posted at 2016-9-15 17:26
keep us updated on how it works and if it supports OSMO,,,seems that they turned off this function ...

No,  Active Tracking function was never added to Osmo in DJI Go.
2016-9-16
Use props
alvintoro
lvl.1

Thank you DJI-Thor. I understand and trust me, I'm in no way trying to shoot the messenger here. My frustration is not at you but at DJI's position on this. In all honesty I already have the functionality through the 3rd party apps. But I, as many other early adopters have been forced to find creative workarounds like this to get the device to work as we need since the very beginning. From a customer service point of view it would go a really long way for you guys to step up to the plate and enable these functions on the GoApp. Yes, you might cannibalize some new unit sales in the process but you will gain the trust back from those who blindly gave you their business, have been very paitiently  waiting for support and are now left in the dust by your company.
2016-9-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules