OSMO Mobile and IPhone 6s PLUS Doesn't work well ?
41595 226 2016-9-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AKloaWV8CTgM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1630453 ft

Shaking hands: Is this not supposed to be fully compensated by the Osmo?

Case: I have a very thin case and was able to ballance successfully. I haven't done any shots yet with the case on
2016-9-26
Use props
Marco Cantieni
lvl.2

Hi there,

I did some more tests in order to find the problem with shaky videos using the Osmo Mobile and my iPhone 6s+ This time I was able to test the Osmo with the smaller and lighter iPhone 6S.  I've recorded 4 short clips. Before each clip I've checked the ballance and adjusted it where needed. I also did a calibration with the DJO Go app before recording each clip. None of the used phones in the clips had cases applied.

1. iPhone 6S+ 1080p 30fps on Osmo Mobile filmed with DJIGo App
2. iPhone 6S (the smaller phone) 1080p 30fps on Osmo Mobile filmed with DJIGo App
3. iPhone 6S+ 1080p 30fps on Osmo Mobile on tripod filmed with DJIGo App
4. iPhone 6S+ 1080p 30fps phone directly on tripod filmed with DJIGo App

Result: All clips with the Osmo have produced shaky videos, no matter what iPhone has been used. The Osmo on the tripod performed slightly better. Only with the iPhone6S+ mounted directly on the tripod has delivered a stable video. To my surprise the results using the smaller and lighter iPhone 6S are not any better than using the heavier iPhone 6S+. This has convinced me that the Osmos motors seem to be strong enough handling heavier phones. Since the iPhone 6S which has no built in optical stabilisation delivered the exact same results: a shaky video

Ken, what do you think? Is is safe to day my Osmo Mobile need to be replaced?

Thanks!
2016-9-27
Use props
Marco Cantieni
lvl.2

shows a comparison between the Osmo Mobile mounted on a tripod and the iPhone 6S+ mounted directly in the tripod.
Look in the lower left corner at the flowers    So looks like I'm better off without a Osmo Mobile...
2016-9-27
Use props
eliotbaring
lvl.2
Flight distance : 492 ft
Australia

Marco Cantieni Posted at 2016-9-28 01:11
Hi there,

I did some more tests in order to find the problem with shaky videos using the Osmo Mobi ...

Have you tested the front facing camera to see if you get the same results there? I find with my iPhone 7+ that I get heaps of wobble with the rear camera (which has OIS) and absolutely none on the front facing camera (which has no OIS). I'm interested to hear what your results are.
2016-9-27
Use props
AKloaWV8CTgM
lvl.2

It did cross my mind to test also the front facing camera since this one doesn't have OIS. But there are 3 facts that make this test obsolete:

1.  I also tested with the  iPhone6s which has no OIS

2. I did tests with Filmic Pro with the same setup, OIS disabled: Same results.

3. The tripod tests should bring the effects of OIS to zero
2016-9-27
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

eliotbaring Posted at 2016-9-28 09:04
Have you tested the front facing camera to see if you get the same results there? I find with my i ...

That is quite strange... Would you please upload a video of it? Try walking in a similar way to make the vidoes comparable
2016-9-27
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

Marco Cantieni Posted at 2016-9-27 12:30
This one  shows a comparison between the Osmo Mobile mounted on a tripod and the iPhone 6S+ mounted  ...

Because a gimbal can't eliminate all the vibrations, you can't really compare it with a tripod.
2016-9-27
Use props
Marco Cantieni
lvl.2
Germany

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-28 08:44
Because a gimbal can't eliminate all the vibrations, you can't really compare it with a tripod.

Even if the gimbal is sitting on a tripod as well and has no work to do?
2016-9-28
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

Marco Cantieni Posted at 2016-9-28 18:30
Even if the gimbal is sitting on a tripod as well and has no work to do?

Yes. Unlike a tripode, the gimbal is not mechanically locked or fixed to a position, it will balance itself with motors.  

It's like you stand on one foot over ground, the ground is not moving, but your body is shaking a little bit anyway because you have muscles(motors).
2016-9-28
Use props
Marco Cantieni
lvl.2
Germany

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-28 12:49
Yes. Unlike a tripode, the gimbal is not mechanically locked or fixed to a position, it will balan ...

Look at this video and tell me if this video is what I can expect from the Osmo Mobile.

2016-9-28
Use props
i1wan
New

Netherlands

Hi,

I have been reading the full tread and I also have the OSMO MOBILE and experiencing the same problems...
I am still wondereing what the cause is of these problems, can anyone be more clear on that?
What I have read so far is:
1) OIS feature on iPhone 6+, iPhone 7 and iPhone 7+
2) Buggy software of DJI
3) iPhone 6+ and iPhone 7+ is too heavy...

What is causing these problems exactly?

2016-9-28
Use props
Marco Cantieni
lvl.2

i1wan Posted at 2016-9-28 23:29
Hi,

I have been reading the full tread and I also have the OSMO MOBILE and experiencing the same p ...

1) Look at the video below. It has been taken with an iPhone 6SPlus using Filmic Pro OIS disabled
I tried the same with OIS enabled: same shaky results
Conclusion: OIS can't be the issue here

2) The fact that using Filmpic Pro delivered the same results as the DJI Go App lets me rule out software issues with the DJI Go App

3) I've performed tests with a smaller and lighter iPhone 6S. Same shaky result.

I've contacted the support for a replacment of my unit

2016-9-28
Use props
Marco Cantieni
lvl.2

i1wan Posted at 2016-9-28 23:29
Hi,

I have been reading the full tread and I also have the OSMO MOBILE and experiencing the same p ...

Would you mind uploading a video showing you similar shaky results?
2016-9-28
Use props
satish_r3m0_dus
lvl.1
Indonesia

Hi.... got my osmo mobile few days ago... tested with 3 smartphones ( 7plus ,S7edge,6S )
All three devices will  run smoothly if u run it via their stock camera app. When u switch it to dji go app,  well the "magic" happens . Here are my results:
Iphone 6S (not the plus) : it runs seamlessly only in 1080p format of video - dji go app ( choppy 4k video )
Iphone 7 plus : it runs seamlessly only in 1080p format  of video - dji go app ( choppy 4K video )
S7edge : since there is no 4K option for android devices in dji go app, we can only run it on standard type of video provided by dji go app. Active tracking video looks
Choppy. Ordinary video is also a lil bit choppy at some point , but alot better than the active tracking video.
Not clear whether it is a hardware or software problem.
Dji is yet to respond to this issue.
I am really disappointed because 7plus is my daily driver. Not being able to Get the most out of it  with osmo mobile and  dji go app, is a headache..

2016-9-28
Use props
Marco Cantieni
lvl.2

satish_r3m0_dus Posted at 2016-9-29 02:51
Hi.... got my osmo mobile few days ago... tested with 3 smartphones ( 7plus ,S7edge,6S )
All three d ...

DJO Go App has issues with 4k - it is a know issue. So you can expect that this is going to be fixed. To me it seems you have different issues than me because you are able to get smooth result in 1080p
2016-9-28
Use props
NowhereMan
New

United States

Hey DJI Moderators, I've got an iPhone 7 Plus and would gladly help you all beta test with one of the Osmo Mobiles, record test videos and update firmwares and test again etc...and report back directly to you my findings.
I wanted to buy one of these before I read these 5 pages, but now I'm not going to till its ironed out, but I wouldn't mind helping out and being a tester for you all. I'm staying subscribed to this thread so I can make sure to keep up to date with all the issues and fixes.

Love all the DJI products, lets hope this one gets better!!
2016-9-28
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

satish_r3m0_dus Posted at 2016-9-28 14:51
All three d ...

The choppy video issue you mentioned are software issue with DJI GO, and will be solved within the next month.  S7 Edge first.
2016-9-28
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

NowhereMan Posted at 2016-9-28 17:35
Hey DJI Moderators, I've got an iPhone 7 Plus and would gladly help you all beta test with one of th ...

Sorry we don't have device testing programs. But you can always go to a Best Buy or Apple store to try it before you buy. Though I'm not sure if it's stocked in your local store now.
2016-9-28
Use props
anibanerjee
New

Firstly, thanks a lot DJI for launching Osmo Mobile. I just ordered mine and looking to create some great motion videos with my new iPhone 7 and hope that all the high priority bugs which I’ve been reading will be fixed soon. I took 256GB phone just for this reason

Second, could you please help me out with my below questions?

1. How much max weight can Osmo Mobile handle? Total weight for my iPhone 7 + Spigen case + Spigen Tempered glass comes around 235grams. Do I need to worry or take the 40gram case out and then use?

2. Can you confirm if it has Active Tracking for iPhone 7?

3. Can you please put some more training videos? Like how to attach external mic (for example - DJI M-15 FlexiMic for Osmo Gimbal Camera)?

4. Is Osmo Mobile waterproof?

5. I stay near Chicago, IL. Can I use in cold conditions like when it’s too cold or snowing?
2016-9-28
Use props
satish_r3m0_dus
lvl.1
Indonesia

Thx guys for the update.
Btw here is my personal review for osmo mobile, at least for now.

https://instagram.com/p/BK7njf0gvek/

I posted some videos as well (recorded from my osmo mobile).
Feel free to check it out.

Thx u ...
2016-9-29
Use props
m.powley
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1535 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Marco Cantieni Posted at 2016-9-27 17:30
This one  shows a comparison between the Osmo Mobile mounted on a tripod and the iPhone 6S+ mounted  ...

Wow! crazy vibration on the Osmo Mobile clip. Great work trying to isolate this Marco, hopefully this will help DJI pin any issues that exist down.
*EDIT* I should have finished reading the full thread before commenting, however I read the statement DJI-Thor made regarding tripod comparisons of a balanced vs locked mount with interest, and it does make sense. That being said there still seems to be a big difference in the two examples and this would surely impact e.g. motion timelapse in tripod mode etc. or when trying to take a static picture. *EDIT*
2016-9-29
Use props
m.powley
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1535 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AKloaWV8CTgM Posted at 2016-9-28 06:36
It did cross my mind to test also the front facing camera since this one doesn't have OIS. But there ...

I still think a similar test for the front facing camera is worth doing, same device weight software install etc. just absolute then IMO.
2016-9-29
Use props
mni
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

My order is still in backorder but this is not looking good.
What is the point to test the front facing camera? I want a product which i can use with my iPhone 7 Plus rear camera which gives me a solid rock 4K video.
If there will be shakiness in just panning a video ( horizontal) then the product is no good. vertical is an another discussion.

If DJI is saying that there will be always some kind of shakiness then the stabilator has no use because the iPhone already has OIS.
The only reason to buy the Osmo is for the very cool features. But the video must be good otherwise you won't use it anymore after 1 time.
Maybe this is better:
http://shoulderpod.myshopify.com ... ge/products/s1-gripFor now this give more stabilized footage then the Osmo Mobile i think

@Marco Cantieni Thanks for the detailed footage!! The test i want to see if possible, instead of the front camera, is everything with STANDARD APP :

1. iPhone 6S+ 1080p 30fps on Osmo Mobile filmed with iPhone STANDARD CAMERA APP
2. iPhone 6S (the smaller phone) 1080p 30fps on Osmo Mobile filmed with STANDARD CAMERA APP
3. iPhone 6S+ 1080p 30fps on Osmo Mobile on tripod filmed with STANDARD CAMERA APP
4. iPhone 6S+ 1080p 30fps phone directly on tripod filmed with STANDARD CAMERA APP

I really think that the most issues are with the DJI Go app because the app doesn't record it right in some kind of way
2016-9-29
Use props
eliotfitzroy
lvl.2
Australia

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-28 16:41
That is quite strange... Would you please upload a video of it? Try walking in a similar way to ma ...

Ok I spent the morning shooting a test video. I compare four different phones:
  • iPhone 7 Plus (rear lens has OIS)
  • iPhone 6s Plus (rear lens has OIS)
  • iPhone 6 (no OIS)
  • Nexus 6p (no OIS)

You will notice that there is a lot of wobble with the iPhone 7 Plus and 6s Plus, but virtually none when I switch to the front facing camera on these devices. There is some on the iPhone 6 and Nexus 6p, neither of which has OIS, but they are much better than the 7+ and 6s+.
Also note that when switching to the non-OIS supported tele lens on the iPhone 7+, the wobble virtually disappears.

I also used a a range of apps including DJI Go, FiLMiC Pro with stabilisation turned off (it isn't full off, just doesn't apply the highest level support by Apple), and the default camera app.

I used the ninja walk technique, and walked at a pretty slow pace. WATCH IN HD & IN FULL SCREEN FOR BEST RESULTS.

2016-9-29
Use props
mni
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

eliotfitzroy Posted at 2016-9-29 13:41
Ok I spent the morning shooting a test video. I compare four different phones:
  • iPhone 7 Plus (r ...

• It is clear for me that with the standard app the video is almost smooth on the iPhone 7 plus and not with Filmic pro and DJI Go app. Big difference
    So the OIS works best with standard app from Apple and not with 3rd party apps?

If this is the case, all the features like tracking is not usable and the Osmo works best with the standard app which make the Osmo a normal stabilisator instead of a exclusive product.
    2016-9-29
    Use props
    Marco Cantieni
    lvl.2
    Germany

mni@nobel.nl Posted at 2016-9-29 12:53
    My order is still in backorder but this is not looking good.
    What is the point to test the front fac ...

The test you would like to see results for has already been done (but not posted here). Instead of the DJI Go app I've used Filmic Pro which I trust more for delivering best results and it lets you disable the OIS of the phone. Result: Exactly the same vibrations in the video with OIS set to off. With OIS set to on wthin Filmic Pro the results has been only slighty better.
    2016-9-29
    Use props
    Marco Cantieni
    lvl.2
    Germany

eliotfitzroy Posted at 2016-9-29 13:41
    Ok I spent the morning shooting a test video. I compare four different phones:iPhone 7 Plus (r ...

Conclusions I draw from this video: The rear camera without OIS produces "vibrating/shaky" results. The front camera does less virbating.

What matters most: those vibrations are gone when not using the gimbal. Ok, this way you get the real shakes then.
    2016-9-29
    Use props
    eliotfitzroy
    lvl.2
    Australia

Marco Cantieni Posted at 2016-9-30 01:13
    Conclusions I draw from this video: The rear camera without OIS produces "vibrating/shaky" results. ...

It is actually the other way around. The rear camera WITH OIS produces the shaky results. iPhone 6 and Nexus 6p are much smoother. As are the non-OIS supported front facing cameras of the 6s+ and 7+.
    2016-9-29
    Use props
    Marco Cantieni
    lvl.2

A new test using Filmic, the Apple camera app, DJI app and front facing camera
    2016-9-29
    Use props
    bleyten
    lvl.2

Marco Cantieni Posted at 2016-9-30 04:33
    A new test using Filmic, the Apple camera app, DJI app and front facing camera

Try the same thing but using manual focus. I had a similar issue that the video was jumping like this trying to refocus on the farther subjects as I panned. When I used manual focus or focus lock I didn't experience it. Not sure if it's your problem but worth a try. I use android so  can't test it for iOS.
    2016-9-29
    Use props
    xc3
    lvl.1
    Australia

I've tested the Osmo Mobile with the iPhone 6+, 6s+ and 7+ and all but the 6+ and 7+@2x has issues with OIS.

At one point DJI stated it was a phone weight issue, this is not the case.
    A simple side by side with the iPhone 7+, once each at 1x and 2x optical zoom will show that even though 2x should have less stable footage, given the higher focal length, it's instead much more stable.
    This is due to the fact that 2x optical zoom does not have OIS.

Having a look at iPhoneDo's iPhone 7(+) review (https://youtu.be/j4EJjP7c0Ys), at 7:55 you can see what effect OIS has on a device that is nudged slightly. Seem familiar?

Has Apple not given developers explicit control over hardware OIS in newer devices?

The good news is that judging by how the iPhone 6+ uses hardware OIS for photos and software OIS for video. There is hope that if it can be disabled all these issues will be moot.

DJI GO 3.0 was released recently without any mention of Osmo Mobile fixes; has anyone retested?
    2016-9-29
    Use props
    Marco Cantieni
    lvl.2

xc3 Posted at 2016-9-30 07:18
    I've tested the Osmo Mobile with the iPhone 6+, 6s+ and 7+ and all but the 6+ and 7+@2x has issues w ...

My recent tests have been done with DJI GO 3.0 Nothing solved for this matter
    2016-9-29
    Use props
    xc3
    lvl.1
    Australia

Marco Cantieni Posted at 2016-9-30 07:38
    My recent tests have been done with DJI GO 3.0 Nothing solved for this matter

Just did a test myself, nothing changed. There's control of pan/tilt speed now for those who are interested.
    2016-9-29
    Use props
    DJI-Thor
    Administrator

xc3 Posted at 2016-9-30 07:18
    I've tested the Osmo Mobile with the iPhone 6+, 6s+ and 7+ and all but the 6+ and 7+@2x has issues w ...

Thank you for your information. Can you shoot a short clip showing the difference of 2X optical zoom and no zoom on your 7+ on Osmo Mobile?  Thank you.
    2016-9-29
    Use props
    eliotfitzroy
    lvl.2
    Australia

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-30 13:32
    Thank you for your information. Can you shoot a short clip showing the difference of 2X optical zo ...

I already did this in my above video test. You can see that the 2x telephoto without OIS is much, much smoother than the Wide OIS lens in the 7+

2016-9-29
    Use props
    Marco Cantieni
    lvl.2

bleyten Posted at 2016-9-30 06:50
    Try the same thing but using manual focus. I had a similar issue that the video was jumping like th ...

I don't believe focus is not an issue here. Look at the video. The image is sharp the entire time. Instead there is vibration in a frequency the auto focus is unable to produce. It would be great if autofocus systems in smartphone cameras would be that fast
    2016-9-29
    Use props
    DJI-Thor
    Administrator

eliotfitzroy Posted at 2016-9-30 12:35
    I already did this in my above video test. You can see that the 2x telephoto without OIS is much,  ...

After extensive testing, we still can't replicate the issue you mentioned. Video is very smooth on our iPhone 7+  and iPhone 6s+
    2016-9-29
    Use props
    eliotfitzroy
    lvl.2
    Australia

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-30 17:19
    After extensive testing, we still can't replicate the issue you mentioned. Video is very smooth on ...

Do you think I need to send my unit in for replacement then?
    2016-9-30
    Use props
    DJI-Thor
    Administrator

eliotfitzroy Posted at 2016-9-30 05:18
    Do you think I need to send my unit in for replacement then?

Yes, please.
    2016-9-30
    Use props
    NowhereMan
    New

United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-28 21:53
    Sorry we don't have device testing programs. But you can always go to a Best Buy or Apple store to ...

Thor, so how far out are we from a software fix for these issues on the iPhone 7 Plus?
    I really want to buy this product with full confidence I'll be happy with the results, but so far those bounce and jitter on the edge issues really bother me. But trust me, I know you're on top of these issues and love your products, I'm a big fan.
    2016-9-30
    Use props
    Advanced
    You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules