Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OSMO Mobile and IPhone 6s PLUS Doesn't work well ?
41524 226 2016-9-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jchawk2003
New

United States

My wife and I do restaurant reviews around Alabama. Had an opportunity to shoot a little bit with the Osmo Mobile last weekend. I was scared of the results I'd get since I've read so many complaints of wobbly video, but that wasn't the case for me. I shoot mainly with a 5D Mark III and a Ronin-M. Since this restaurant was super packed I decided to try my new Osmo Mobile and iPhone 7+. I used the DJI Go App, Filmic Pro, and the stock iPhone camera app. All gave great results. Filmic footage was easier to color grade and had less shake. Hoping DJI fixes the issues and adds new features in their app, but all in all my wife and I LOVE the Osmo Mobile with the iPhone 7 Plus. Any interview you see was 5D Mark III, everything else was Osmo Mobile with 7 Plus. I tried holding the Osmo with the front facing cam for our car ride talk, it worked, but I'll go back to mounting the 5D next trip.   

2016-9-30
Use props
eliotfitzroy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 492 ft
Australia

jchawk2003 Posted at 2016-10-1 07:06
My wife and I do restaurant reviews around Alabama. Had an opportunity to shoot a little bit with th ...

How does it look if you walk around with it at a brisk pace? Your video is mostly pans etc. Mine does well with this sort of camera movement, and really well with the front facing camera, but as soon as I'm walking around with the 7+ shooting with the rear camera, the wobble is really obvious (see test footage above).
2016-9-30
Use props
bamafilmgrad
New

United States

eliotfitzroy Posted at 2016-10-1 05:27
How does it look if you walk around with it at a brisk pace? Your video is mostly pans etc. Mine d ...

I've found for the best looking gimbal footage to make small movements. There is one shot above where I followed a plate of food. I was walking there. The other shot of Denny Chimes (the tower) I was also walking. Even when I shoot using my Ronin I try to move subtly. It gives a more cinematic look. I'll post a walking and a running shot soon, but it's not really a shoot style I ever use.
2016-9-30
Use props
7Cvlf1yYNXkY
lvl.1

United States

People who are posting videos with the stutter and shake how are you exporting your videos? I have a iPhone 7+ and I am extremely happy with the results! I actually do not notice much of a difference between DJI Go app and the stock camera app. However, the editing feature within the DJI Go app will 100% add that stutter to your video, not sure why.... Below are my settings and how I'm exporting.

iPhone 7+ with OSMO Mobile using the DJI Go App
1080 30FPS
I also activate AE/AF Lock by holding down on the screen this disables the auto focus and helps tremendously!!!

Exporting....
While still in the app click on the gallery icon at the bottom left and you will see your videos, click on a video and click save. - This needs to be done while still connected the OSMO Mobile. I have exported footage both this way and from within the Edit tab after disconnecting and the quailty difference is crazy. As a matter of fact I used the Edit tap to cut up some footage and make a movie and it made every single video clip stutter. I am not even doing the "Ninja Walk" like DJI says todo and my footage is coming out way better then the posted reviews.  
2016-9-30
Use props
Marco Cantieni
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1630453 ft

7Cvlf1yYNXkY Posted at 2016-10-1 07:34
People who are posting videos with the stutter and shake how are you exporting your videos? I have a ...

Most of my tests have been done with the previous version of the DJI app. It has saved directly to the camera roll. The new version stores fotos and videos in a dedicated place and you need to save it to the camera roll manually. I tested both versions of the DJI app, I never have done any editing within this app.

Your tip with locked exposure and focus remains to be tested in depth in one of my next shootings.
2016-10-1
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

NowhereMan Posted at 2016-10-1 05:05
Thor, so how far out are we from a software fix for these issues on the iPhone 7 Plus?
I really wa ...

The thing is that we were never able to replicate the issues people here complain about iPhone 6s+ and iPhone 7+.

I do believe them, but  I tried two iPhone 6s+ and  two iPhone 7+ and half a dozen Osmo Mobile, it just works fine and no sign of the jitters I saw on the video.

Currently the official answer is still about weight, and the suggestion is to ninja-walk.  
2016-10-2
Use props
zoti
lvl.3
Flight distance : 101526 ft
United States

Mine does the same. Using iPhone 7 Plus. It's a dissapointment.

2016-10-2
Use props
xc3
lvl.1
Australia

Balance, phone weight and calibration are not the issue here.
I methodically balanced, calibrated and alternately blind tested at 1x and 2x on the same test run.
This removes other contributing factors from testing the effects of Optical Image Stabilization. The outcome was 1x consistently had a pumping/focusing artifact and 2x was buttery smooth.

I didn't do the "Ninja Walk", given it's not how most Osmo Mobile users would walk when they are shooting video.
Not to mention at 2x (no OIS) I can run and the Osmo Mobile handles it like a boss.

The Feiyu G4 Pro is sold in Apple stores, makes me wonder how that thing handle 6s+ phones.

For the users who believe there are no issues with the 6s+ and 7+, try shooting in 4k, turn on Pitch Lock, keep your framing perfectly centered (use the Grid) and walk straight towards a target as you normally would walk, then review your footage at 100% crop. You'll notice the artifact most for contrasting objects about half way between the centre and the edge of a frame.
2016-10-3
Use props
NowhereMan
New

United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-2 22:02
The thing is that we were never able to replicate the issues people here complain about iPhone 6s+ ...

Thor,

Did you ever post your sample videos from an iPhone 7+ or 6+? I think you were going to post some?

Thanks!
2016-10-3
Use props
NowhereMan
New

United States

warmmjs Posted at 2016-10-2 23:50
I have a new OSMO Mobile on 28-Sep . First time I use for taking photos and video with IPHONE 7 Plus ...

Uhhhh, the Osmo Mobile is just a stabilizer, its not doing any recording or transferring of video/photos to the iPhone 7, your iPhone 7 is doing all the recording and picture taking, so if there are any issues with that its your iPhone 7, not the Osmo again its just stabilizing your phone.
2016-10-3
Use props
Marco Cantieni
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1630453 ft
Germany

xc3 Posted at 2016-10-3 10:16
Balance, phone weight and calibration are not the issue here.
I methodically balanced, calibrated an ...

Have you ever tried Filmic Pro that can disable the OIS of your phone?
2016-10-4
Use props
crfowler
New
Flight distance : 237684 ft

Marco Cantieni Posted at 2016-10-5 05:42

This has been tried in Filmic pro. The conclusion is that the OIS in filmic pro is software based, and it does not disable the camera's hardware based stabilization mechanism in the camera of the iphone 6s+ & 7. For this reason the "shuddering" still shows up.

I owned a 6s+ and now a 7+ and I have had issues using both. DJI's partial recognition of this problem isn't good enough. If the DJI mobile's gimbal system isn't robust enough to fully support larger phones, then they should state that in their product description... period.
Prior to the release of the Mobile, I have been so impressed with DJI's other products, which have been extremely well designed and thought out, both from a hardware and software stand point. The DJI Mobile's is very disappointing and will certainly make me very hesitant about pre-ordering any future, new DJI products in the future...like the Mavic for example!
2016-10-5
Use props
xc3
lvl.1
Australia

Marco Cantieni Posted at 2016-10-5 08:42

No I haven't, as far as I know Filmic disables software OIS. Not hardware OIS, which is what the issue is.

Personally the Osmo Mobile doesn't appear to have any hardware issues and works flawlessly with camera systems that don't have OIS.
However, when paired with HW OIS the gimbal fails miserably for anything more than the steadiest of movements, or dynamic motion; which tends to hide said artifacts (read: motion blur).

I've since returned my OM given Dji stated that there is nothing to fix and the phone is too heavy; which it isn't.
It's hard to believe Dji's engineers haven't been able to give a definitive answer to the problem. Just too busy making sure the Mavic works properly upon release?
That or there isn't yet a viable solution (read: cost or iOS restrictions)

2016-10-5
Use props
placido.faranda
lvl.2
Flight distance : 229400 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

one more with an iPhone 6s+ and same problem. As an happy owner of a Phantom 4 I'm super disappointed with the DJI OSMO mobile. I was planning to use it in order to mix aerial footage with ground footage. Well problem is, video is bouncing too much as everyone says... in my case what makes a difference - as someone else in this thread noticed with an Iphone 7+ - is taking the footage within or not the DJI go APP. If I do it with the iPhone camera standard app is way smoother, especially 4K. I'll post both video and let you guess which one is the iPhone camera vs DJI GO.

http://sendvid.com/o353em22
http://sendvid.com/0k79z0m0

I think I will join the party of those who sent it back... and I hate this since I was super excited to get it...

2016-10-9
Use props
icode
lvl.1

United States

Using ProCam app could solve the issue of OIS wobbling.

In ProCam app, there is a mode called 4K Max which shoots in higher resolution (4032x2268) than 4K. This is different than disabling image stabilization in Filmic Pro, which only disables software stabilization.

ProCam's 4K Max mode does not use OIS at all, and it should work well with DJI Mobile.

Can anyone try it and post their results and video?
2016-12-3
Use props
lmc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 928842 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

Order Osmo Mobile from Amazon but after reading this thread and being a Iphone 6+ owner I will refuse the delivery and return the DJI Osmo....

2016-12-5
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

icode Posted at 2016-12-3 23:19
Using ProCam app could solve the issue of OIS wobbling.

In ProCam app, there is a mode called 4K Max which shoots in higher resolution (4032x2268) than 4K. This is different than disabling image stabilization in Filmic Pro, which only disables software stabilization.

Trust me, it won't
2016-12-6
Use props
LIPEFILMES
lvl.1
Brazil

Good Morning!  I bought my Osmo Mobile and used it with my Iphone 6. It always worked very well. Recently I bought an iphone 7 plus, and with a little bit of fear I went to test at Osmo.  Record using a wide lens, the filmic pro and edit in imovie.  Follow the result of the video, I did not notice much difference of the result that I had with the iphone 6. So far I liked the result.  Video Link: [url=Good Morning!  I bought my Osmo Mobile and used it with my Iphone 6. It always worked very well. Recently I bought an iphone 7 plus, and with a little bit of fear I went to test at Osmo.  Record using a wide lens, the filmic pro and edito no imovie.  Follow the result of the video, I did not notice much difference of the result that I had with the iphone 6. So far I liked the result.  Video Link:
2016-12-7
Use props
imahawki78
New

United States

crfowler Posted at 2016-10-5 08:54
This has been tried in Filmic pro. The conclusion is that the OIS in filmic pro is software based, and it does not disable the camera's hardware based stabilization mechanism in the camera of the iphone 6s+ & 7. For this reason the "shuddering" still shows up.

I owned a 6s+ and now a 7+ and I have had issues using both. DJI's partial recognition of this problem isn't good enough. If the DJI mobile's gimbal system isn't robust enough to fully support larger phones, then they should state that in their product description... period.

Agree. I think the weight is ONE factor that is making this problem worse and DJI isn't acknowledging that.
2016-12-10
Use props
Alcatel
New

Germany

Hello!

I'm planning to buy the osmo mobile for my iPhone 6s Plus to capture my next holiday.

I've read the whole thread and I’m very uncertain with the "shaky" effects.

Is the problem now a thing of the past via software/firmware updates or do I have to deal with this kind of negative effect?

2017-5-8
Use props
ComPH
lvl.3

United States

Removed by original poster
2017-5-8
Use props
Adriano Araujo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 731565 ft
Brazil

I have past the last week making tests regarding the wobble of iPhone´s OIS.

Tried everything, from different ways of walking/jogging, to software like Filmic, ProCam, the Stock camera APP and DJI Go

What I found is:

1 – The best App to use is the Stock Camera App. Had no success using all others: Disabling OIS by software turns things even worse by losing the coils inside iPhone´s camera. It wobble more that way

2 – You can decrease the problem by walking in very short and fast steps. A mix of “ninja walking” and jogging, also using the gimbal in “flashlight” position.

3 – You can not solve the problem (I could not find a solution). Even fast-walking, for me, the image is compromised. Usable, but compromised.

I understand that it´s not and Apple nor DJI problem/issue. It´s just an unfortunate “lack of lucky” when these 2 products are working together.

I just gave up using my iPhone 7 + with Osmo Mobile for walking/run shots. For that, I just revived and old iPhone 5s. It is WAY better (with no OIS)

Unfortunately, for those with no option to use another phone, I think you have an unsolvable problem. :-(
2017-8-11
Use props
HKJunkie
lvl.1

United States

Adriano Araujo Posted at 2017-8-11 09:41
I have past the last week making tests regarding the wobble of iPhone´s OIS.

Tried everything, from different ways of walking/jogging, to software like Filmic, ProCam, the Stock camera APP and DJI Go

Thanks for the insight Adriano.

It is a shame that Apple itself isnt clear non image stabilization and its controls in iOS.
https://developer.apple.com/libr ... P40013599-CH107-SW4
Indicates that:

Optical Image Stabilization (OIS)
For video capture, the AVCaptureConnection preferredVideoStabilizationMode property automatically enables both optical and digital stabilization on devices supporting video OIS.
But reading the details on the preferredVideoStabilizationMode indicates "Set this property to a value other than off to enable stabilization whenever the specified mode is available. Enabling video stabilization introduces additional latency into the video capture pipeline and may consume more system memory depending on the stabilization mode and format. "

This implies that values other than off add some form of software video processing since it adds delay to the processing pipeline (if it was pure hardware only OIS no delay would be introduced).
The implication is that setting to OFF does disable the active stabilization.
But I'm wondering if with OFF the else isn't locked solid, so while the OIS is off, the lense is moving in the iPhone 6plus,6Splus,7,7plus.

Then Apple defines: Cinematic Video Stabilization which is even more compute intensive software stabilization code than the software that is tied in to the OIS setting.

It will be interesting to see if the coming iPhone 8 (or whatever they call it, X, etc) has hardware that provides for software to lock the lense down - and how that works on the Osmo Mobile.

As is the cheaper Feiyu G4 Pro appears to be a better option for folks with an apple OIS phone model, but there is no API from Feiyu to allow Filmic Pro to integrate as well.

In Summary: there are several levels of image stabilization, and on iOS internally at least 3.

It is NOT possible to disable the OIS (Optical Image Stabilization) on iPhones that have it (6plus, 6S & 7 variants) because Apple did not build in a way to lock OIS down. The OIS in the lens system is apparently a closed loop control system that the iOS cannot affect. The only thing you can turn off/on in iPhones and Filmic Pro (or any other IOS app) is varying forms of Software Image Stabilization (SIS) - so the basic software stabilization or the cinematic stabilization of iOS or some other home-grown Filmic stabilization. But OIS is always active unless you use a lens that has no OIS (eg the front facing lenses or an iPhone 6 or older).

From the folks at Filmic directly in response to a question about what Filmic Pro does: "Developers are unable to turn off Apple's OIS as this is built into the lens, so enabling the Stabilization mode in FiLMiC Pro will automatically apply the highest level of electronic stabilization on top of the optical stabilization based on shooting resolution and frame-rate etc."
2017-8-18
Use props
Adriano Araujo
lvl.4
Brazil

HKJunkie Posted at 2017-8-18 09:41
Thanks for the insight Adriano.

It is a shame that Apple itself isnt clear non image stabilization and its controls in iOS.

But I'm wondering if with OFF the else isn't locked solid, so while the OIS is off, the lense is moving in the iPhone 6plus,6Splus,7,7plus.

Yest. That´s it. It get loose and bouncing. :-(
2017-8-18
Use props
Adriano Araujo
lvl.4
Brazil

In further testing I found out that slow shutter speeds (1/30 -> 1/120) somehow decrease the (bad) effects of bobbling OIS.

Still testing….

2017-8-18
Use props
AlisaJ21
lvl.2

India

irzQnzgxJb40 Posted at 2016-9-14 09:07
Just a reminder for those of you waiting for a iPhone 7 plus (like myself)... the longer focal length lens on the iPhone 7 Plus DOES NOT have OIS... only the shorter focal length lens.  So if you're shooting using the native Apple Camera App and hit the 2X button, you are no longer getting and OIS from the phone.

(on an unrelated note, this seems like a stupid decision on Apple's part... wouldn't you want OIS more on the longer focal length camera?)

I can tell you what worked for me, what i did was this might be due to a few reasons. Here are some steps you can try to fix this issue:-
1. Face ID or TrueDepth Camera Issue:-
  -Make sure that your iPhone's TrueDepth camera, responsible for Face ID, is not covered or obstructed.
  -Check for any smudges, dirt, or fingerprints on the TrueDepth camera and the front of your iPhone. Clean it with a soft, lint-free cloth.
2. Restart Your iPhone:-
  -A simple restart can sometimes resolve issues. Turn off your iPhone and then turn it back on.
3. Software Update:-
  -Ensure that your iPhone is running the latest iOS version. Go to Settings > General > Software Update and check for updates.
4, Reset Face ID:-
  -If the issue persists, you may try resetting Face ID. Go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode, enter your passcode, and choose "Reset Face ID."
5. Reset All Settings:-
  -If none of the above solutions work, you can try resetting all settings on your iPhone. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. Keep in mind that this will reset all settings to their defaults, but it won't delete your data.

Always make sure to back up your data before performing any significant changes to your iPhone settings or performing a reset. If none of the above solutions work, follow instruction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ1lBfxni8M&ab_channel=TheGeekPage
1-29 22:48
Use props
Massiaposs Shed
New

Italy

I find that the smaller the phone the better the stabilisation, figures don’t it.
2-20 16:38
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules